• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Should I Do: Resources for Making an Effort in Troubling Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post!

This is definitely worth keeping up on the front page.

Thanks! Don't know if Mods want or would put it on the front page. I think there's not enough topics like this on the front page at it is anyway.

---

Thanks to a reminder from the Savage Lovecast, we need to not get ready but get going yesterday fighting the battle to take back the Senate from the GOP. Dems need 3 seats to gain the majority in 2018. They're (democrats) defending 25 seats while repubs only have to defend 9. Contribute and take action with the DSCC for the sake of gaining and retaining seats in the Senate that might be what separates us from a wholly conservative Supreme Court in the future:

Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee

Cross Posting from my standalone topic about this:

Ars Technica said:
Did you feel a sudden loss of Internet freedom in February 2015? That's when the Federal Communications Commission imposed net neutrality rules that prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against websites and other online services. And that's when Americans lost their Internet freedom—according to the current FCC chairman, Ajit Pai.

Pai, a Republican and former Verizon lawyer, opposed the net neutrality rules when Democrats held the commission's majority, and he quickly got to work dismantling the rules after being appointed chair by President Donald Trump. To convince the public that the FCC should eliminate rules it passed two years ago, Pai's office yesterday issued a press release titled, "Restoring Internet freedom for all Americans."

The press release says the plan to eliminate Obama-era Internet regulations "will benefit all Americans" by "boost[ing] competition and choice in the broadband marketplace" and "will restore Internet Freedom by ending government micromanagement and returning to the bipartisan regulatory framework that worked well for decades."

The press release doesn't say which freedoms ordinary users of the Internet lost because of net neutrality rules. The rules didn't actually impose requirements on users of the Internet—or the website operators and other companies that provide services over the Internet. The rules were targeted only at ISPs such as cable, DSL, and fiber home Internet companies and cellular data carriers.

Because of net neutrality rules, ISPs aren't allowed to block or throttle lawful Internet traffic and cannot accept payments in exchange for prioritizing some online services over others in the network path to customers' homes or mobile devices. The rules were implemented using the FCC's Title II authority over common carriers, and Pai intends to eliminate the FCC's classification of ISPs as common carriers.

Along with net neutrality rules, Title II was also used to require greater disclosures about hidden fees and data caps and to force ISPs to get consumer consent before using or sharing Web browsing histories, two sets of rules that Republicans started chipping away at even before yesterday. Title II has also been used to prevent slowdowns of Internet traffic caused by disputes over network interconnection fees, which was a problem for Netflix users before the net neutrality rules were implemented.

More generally, the classification of ISPs as common carriers requires their rates and practices to be "just" and "reasonable" and lets their customers or companies that deliver services over the Internet complain to the FCC about unjust or unreasonable behavior.

ISPs will clearly have more freedom if the Title II classification and net neutrality rules go away. Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Charter, and lobby groups for ISPs praised Pai's announcement yesterday.

But consumer advocacy groups and Web companies urged the FCC to preserve net neutrality rules, saying they are crucial for giving online businesses access to customers and for letting Internet customers use the applications and websites of their choice. Advocacy group Free Press published an updated list of incidents in which ISPs interfered with Internet content in the years before Title II net neutrality rules were implemented.

As Ars dictates, the "Restoring Internet Freedom" initiated by the new FCC chair is simply a ploy to again, try and destroy the concept of Net Neutrality. Along side the need to donate and support the Electronic Freedom Foundation, it's also important for the voice of the consumers to be heard:

Ars Technica said:
Before implementing net neutrality rules in 2015, the FCC received 4 million public comments, mostly in favor of strict rules for ISPs. Yesterday, Pai dismissed Title II support as coming from "special interest" groups, particularly Free Press.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the World Wide Web in 1991, criticized Pai this week, saying, "the Internet must remain a permissionless space for creativity, innovation and free expression."

This initiative of overflowing support for Net Neutrality NEEDS TO CONTINUE. The comments for the press release opened yesterday and you, family and friends; anyone actually interested in Net Neutrality NEEDS to let your voice be heard. Let the FCC know that it isn't fooling anyone. Describe why exactly the efforts to preserve net neutrality are actually important and why taking away government regulation will lead to anti-consumer practices. There are multiple links within the Ars article and that I'll post describing Net Neutrality's importance and the risks associated if it were to disappear.

"Restoring Internet Freedom" Press Release Comments
FCC's Restoring Internet Freedom Press Release
How To Comment - FCC
FCC HOTLINE: 1-888-225-5322
Scripts for calling:
Reddit
Free Press

Net Neutrality: What You Need to Know - Free Press
What is Net Neutrality and What its Reversal Would Mean - USA Today

Ars Technica

Net Neutrality Violations: A Brief History - Free Press
EFF and Allies Letter to Congress

EFF Needs Your Support and Donations
Contact your legislators as well & vote!
Emailed my reps.
It's easy to do on EFF's website.
https://act.eff.org/action/tell-congress-don-t-surrender-the-internet

Everyone should do it.

Some new additions:

Here is a script creation and distribution tool for calling your representatives: CallGov.us

A blog that is essentially this same topic, how to fight back against the Trump administration: One Thing You Can Do

And ITMFA, a charity by Dan Savage where the purchase of merchandise goes to groups like Planned Parenthood and the ACLU

Piano

Banned
Thank you for continuing to update this thread.

Worth noting to those feeling tired after 100 days that it's okay if you can't do everything for every issue. Every little bit counts. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Find what works for you!

In my case I've mostly stuck to the 5Calls app and Jen Hoffman's newsletter. Plus regular small gifts to causes I support. Sometimes I need a break for a week, and that's okay, too.

Keep it up!

Thank you for continuing to update this thread.

Worth noting to those feeling tired after 100 days that it's okay if you can't do everything for every issue. Every little bit counts. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Find what works for you!

In my case I've mostly stuck to the 5Calls app and Jen Hoffman's newsletter. Plus regular small gifts to causes I support. Sometimes I need a break for a week, and that's okay, too.

Keep it up!

No need for thanks and I'm glad to do it. And you're absolutely right. People should do what they're able and take time for self care.

So, today was a big news day....

If you care, and want to make a difference, pick up the phone and call your Representative and Senators - even if they are not of your political party or you think they'll vote or go against your interests. Call anyway.

impirius

If you care, and want to make a difference, pick up the phone and call your Representative and Senators - even if they are not of your political party or you think they'll vote or go against your interests. Call anyway.
5 Calls was posted earlier, and it's absolutely the best way to contact your representatives.

Hate talking on the phone? That's fine: You can do it. This site makes it easy by giving you a script to follow if you need it.

Chances are that you're going to leave a message on a machine, and the staffers in the office aren't going to judge the eloquence of your argument; they're going to mark you down as yet another person who demands, say, an independent commission on Russian election tampering.

5 Calls was posted earlier, and it's absolutely the best way to contact your representatives.

Hate talking on the phone? That's fine: You can do it. This site makes it easy by giving you a script to follow if you need it.

Chances are that you're going to leave a message on a machine, and the staffers in the office aren't going to judge the eloquence of your argument; they're going to mark you down as yet another person who demands, say, an independent commission on Russian election tampering.

Thanks for the bump, you two. Yeah the last several days have made it clear that people actually need to put in energy to change things because the men and women in charge are completely unwilling to go against this administration and Trump will make unflinching loyalty and unfeeling disenfranchisement a requirement for the US. Please people. Please please please. If you've ever cared about a single freedom you've had in this country, push back against this bullshit by at least trying to put in work. Trump supporters aren't the only people who live here. Trump, his family and the people who kiss his feet in the legislature aren't the only people who live here. You live here too and you can change things. You do outnumber the amount of people trying to solidify this gaslighting, liying and manipulative status quo.

---

Also, the ACLU continues fights against this administration, including Trump's bullshit Election Commission. If you have even a few dollars, make it a point to support the ACLU in their continued fight for the sake of freedoms people take for granted.

A guest on the podcast Fake The Nation mentioned this site in response to the anti-life AHCA and the Trump administration's continued vendetta against women's health.

National Network of Abortion Funds is a group focused on removing or at least lowering the barriers for people of all walks to have abortion access. And sadly, their help continues to become more necessary in modern America. If you can donate, please do. And if you or someone you know actually needs their services, save the site to your bookmarks and spread the word about it.

Cuburt

Thanks for the info. It's tough to figure out what might be the most effective methods of getting involved, especially as someone who isn't politcally active.

A guest on the podcast Fake The Nation mentioned this site in response to the anti-life AHCA and the Trump administration's continued vendetta against women's health.

National Network of Abortion Funds is a group focused on removing or at least lowering the barriers for people of all walks to have abortion access. And sadly, their help continues to become more necessary in modern America. If you can donate, please do. And if you or someone you know actually needs their services, save the site to your bookmarks and spread the word about it.

Will do. What time did they mention this website?

Game-Biz

Excellent thread, OP.

If this doesn't get stickied, then hopefully this thread will be on the front page more often than not.

Reposting from the NYT topic on Trump's Obstruction of Justice

This is the occasional reminder that your representatives have telephones and mailboxes which you should be filling with your expressed opinion on impeachment, special prosecutors, and the behavior of the President.

Make sure you're being heard by your representatives.

https://5calls.org/
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

This talking point matters just as much as the others I've posted in the topic. Without representatives who are interested in holding their fellow politicians accountable, progress is going to have an even more difficult uphill climb

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Thanks for the thread OP. I've been sticking a tinyurl on a slip of paper for this thread in the back of this book and handing them out to people i think want to help but don't know how...

ovwHWNPl.jpg

seems to be working so far at least for the people i've handed out books to. Probably spent about $80 now on that book.

Thanks for the thread OP. I've been sticking a tinyurl on a slip of paper for this thread in the back of this book and handing them out to people i think want to help but don't know how...

ovwHWNPl.jpg

seems to be working so far at least for the people i've handed out books to. Probably spent about $80 now on that book.

Woah! Amazing work, wenis! Glad to know the thread is reaching outside of GAF

I actually have that book in my wishlist but have yet to buy it sadly.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Woah! Amazing work, wenis! Glad to know the thread is reaching outside of GAF

I actually have that book in my wishlist but have yet to buy it sadly.

it's only $6 currently on amazon, tho I've purchased it in bulk as low as $4. definitely worth having a few on hand.

Posting another resource thanks to the podcast Pod Save The People

OurStates.Org is another consolidation site helping you pinpoint your specific state legislators and where they stand on current issues as well as the tracking of bills related to said issues. It's a fantastic and incredibly useful site that I encourage bookmarking or putting in speed dial. It was helpful in my case for informing when my states legislative session was running and when it ended.

As the site itself says:

OurStates said:
You have more power to influence your state legislator than your member of Congress. The average state representative's district is 12 times smaller than a Congressional district. Most are not lifelong politicians, or even full-time politicians. They are not always focused on reelection because many of them run unopposed. And state legislators have the power to decide many of the most important issues impacting communities.

However, since state legislators have fewer resources than members of Congress, it is harder for them to take ideas and turn them into legislation.

That's where you come in.

Posting another resource thanks to the podcast Pod Save The People

OurStates.Org is another consolidation site helping you pinpoint your specific state legislators and where they stand on current issues as well as the tracking of bills related to said issues. It's a fantastic and incredibly useful site that I encourage bookmarking or putting in speed dial. It was helpful in my case for informing when my states legislative session was running and when it ended.

As the site itself says:

Thanks for this.

Thanks for this.

No problem.

I'll admit it's still frustrating to keep bumping this topic, keep seeing it slip away and for other topics to continue containing the same doomsaying "what can be done" stuff that stifles any push back. People need to keep reminding themselves that this is a continued multilayered fight. Trump is trying to undermine the American government, it's people as well for the sake of his own gain. But he isn't unstoppable.

Anyway. For those still looking for more topics to broach to your reps, education is a massive one and Elizabeth Warren has a new initiative she calls DeVosWatch for marking important efforts the DeVos DoE that need to be singled out and targeted as backward and harmful to student snd the education of the nation in general.

Will also promote the podcast Pod Save The People after failing to do so before. The show is part of the Crooked Media brand line of Pod Save podcasts (Of which all are worth listening to) with this one in particular being hosted by DeRay McKesson and is majorly focused on ground level resistance to machinations against the civil rights of Americans:

Crooked Media said:
Organizer and activist DeRay Mckesson takes you inside conversations about culture, social justice, and politics by exploring the history, language, and people who are shaping the struggle for progress — and talking about the steps that each of us can take to make a difference. You can listen to the teaser below, and subscribe on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen.

Reposting this from another topic on the issue in light of recent events regarding the Paris Agreement:

EarthJustice & NRDC. Support these efforts people because Trump has made it crystal clear he plans to let his crude partners kill the earth in exchange for profits from them and himself. Both are bold in their resistance of Trump's anti-science demonstration right here.

EarthJustice said:
President Trump has forfeited American leadership by announcing he is withdrawing the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement. “History will judge withdrawing from the Paris Agreement as a huge error,” says Trip Van Noppen, President of Earthjustice.

“Trump’s announcement is far from the final word. Legally, the United States is still in the Paris Agreement for at least the next year. As an environmental law organization, Earthjustice will continue to do everything in our power to accelerate the clean energy transition in the United States and globally. We are already working in states around the country and partners around the world. Trump's action won't reverse the momentum. Progress will continue. The American people will not turn our back on climate leadership.”

And the NRDC is ready to fight right now; today and looking for other willing resistors:

NRDC Twitter said:
NRDC‏Verified account @NRDC 11m11 minutes ago

[TONIGHT] Rally against withdrawal from the #ParisAgreement.

NYC: 6 pm at Foley Sq.
DC: 5 pm at the White House
Any other cities? #resist

Today's Pod Save America guided me to another useful tool.

Resistance Near Me is another Zip Code site that is exactly what it says on the tin. The tool will reveal nearby events that coincide with Resistance demonstrations, Town Halls, Rallys, Protests and any other public events related to putting the screws to local government. Highly recommended for those looking to get out for boots on the ground work.

Resistance Near Me said:
In partnership with Town Hall Project, Resistance Near Me is a hub for progressive local #resist actions, designed for you to find any public event, rally, town hall, protest, and more, near you, as well as the information you need to contact your member of Congress. It's never been more important to raise our voices to resist Trump’s harmful agenda and the elected representatives who aren't speaking for us.

Oersted just launched a great topic in particular about climate change with a wealth of helpful links:

1. Fucking vote

2. Contact your state legislator and ask them to improve upon the policies that your state currently has given the announcement to withdraw from the Paris agreement.

https://www.ourstates.org/#engage/

3. Call your Senator by dialing 844-6-RESIST and tell them to support action to stop climate change.

4. Find out when your Senators and US Representative are holding town halls. Show up and tell them to protect the climate.

https://townhallproject.com/

5. Get involved with People and Organizations that are working on environmental justice and climate change.

https://citizensclimatelobby.org/

http://powershift.org/

http://wwf.panda.org/how_you_can_help/

https://350.org/

https://policy-practice.oxfamamerica.org/work/climate-change/

6. Switch to Green Energy

http://www.greenelectricity.org/

http://renewableelectricity.com/renewable-electricity-providers/

Mostly (exceptions being point 1 and 6) via

https://www.resistancemanual.org/Climate_/_Environment

Lock if old

PS: If I should add a link, feel free to share

2 links today:

The first is one that was referenced today (6/6/2017) on Pod Save The People. If I've mentioned it before, there's no problem in a second boost of the Town Hall Project which is another site helping to connect people to the schedules of the town halls of their local legislators. What I really enjoy about it though is it's Missing Member feature, a database that lists current legislators that are trying to skip out on meeting their consituents face to face and provides links to their sites and phone numbers so that you can harangue the cowards. And beautifully, you can filter by legislators who voted for the ACHA (Aka. Ryan/Trump/Bannoncare)

The second is a bit unconventional but I also heard about it today on Pod Save the People The Marshall Project is a nonprofit journalism group focused on criminal justice. Hopefully it's clear that supporting honest and ruthlessly truthful journalism is important in our new nation where a Breitbart stooge is puppeteering our dumbass president. Pod Save The People mentioned it today in reference to the fight for prison and criminal justice reform. If you can spare it for them or any other journalistic efforts (NYT, Huffpo, NPR and on) please donate what you're able.

Today's Pod Save America (June 8 2017) discussed (@ ~40:00 Minutes) the dire situation of the reformatted AHCA possibly creeping into a pass. Let's not pussyfoot around: The fate of millions upon millions of Americans rests on the machinations of Mitch McConnell failing to pass this through the senate, particularly by the recess on July 4th. The Pod Save America hosts and their friends at MoveOn.org teamed up to make sure that people know exactly what they can do to try and stop the AHCA from going any further:

• The United States Capitol switchboard number is (202) 224-3121 where the operator will direct you to the senate office you request. Make as many calls to your senator as you are able to every day.
  • When you reach your senators phone: DO NOT just stop at registering an opinion. ASK for your Health Legislative Assistant/Aide. Link to a list of those assistants by Senator, state and name

DB0-18mXkAQWZB0.jpg

As well as instructions on what to say once you get through courtesy of Ben Wikler, Washington director of MoveOn.org:

Ben Wikler said:
    Ben Wikler ‏Verified account @benwikler 4h4 hours ago
    When you get through, explain that you're a constituent and you have grave concerns about how the bill will affect you. Then explain WHY 19/

These staffers are human beings. They work on health care because they care about health. Even if their bosses don't. Tell your story. 20/

What you want is for health staffers to be telling their bosses that they've spent all day with the phone from freaked-out constituents 21/

And then you want to ASK FOR A MEETING, before the vote. With state staffers (or in DC, if you can come). Promise to bring a group. 22/

If you get the meeting with your Senator or their staffers, bring a ton of people & make it huge. @MoveOn can help. (DM me.) 23/

If you don't get the meeting, no problem. You should still recruit a group & show up at Senators' offices. Time to break out the signs. 24/

Incidentally, it's also worth EMAILING the legislative assistants w/personal notes. Here's how to figure out Hill staff email addresses 25/

If I, Ben Wikler, worked for Sen. Murkowski, (I don't; Chelsea Holt is her health LA), I'd be ben.wikler@murkowski.senate.gov. Get it? 26/

So: CALL every day. Ask for health staffers. Email them, too. VISIT local offices—for scheduled meetings or to protest. Bring friends. 27/

Find the letters to the editor submission email address for local papers in your state & send them your story, mentioning your Senator. 28/

And mark your calendar for the last week of June, esp Wed-Fri. There should literally be round the clock vigils. You'll be needed then. 29/
  • Your friends and family. Use Facebook, Twitter, Phone calls or face to face interactions to convince them to do the same.
  • Visit your local congressional offices. I've posted several links that outline future boots on the ground protests and demonstrations. But even if there isn't one going on in your area, if you're able, you should be part of the difference. Demand that you be seen at your local office. Show up with signage, ways to video or photograph events. Make yourself heard and be clear about this being about the cruelty of the AHCA and the necessity of your legislators to show that they actually care about the lives of American citizens by not supporting it and openly deriding it all the better.

Do not, do not, do not get stuck in a nihilist loop. Republicans might seem like immense evil giants hellbent on crushing you and every other American. But the absolute worst thing you can do in the middle of this is nothing. Even worse than the slaktavism of a retweet. Even worse than just talking to your parents about it. Do something. Please. Anything related to crushing the AHCA and saving lives is absolutely important to your life and the lives of so many other Americans even those fervently working against you.

More info related to the AHCA:

Indivisible Project offshoot site called TrumpcareTen.org AKA 10 of the key states with senators who could swing towards preserving the ACA. Provides a toolkit for focusing efforts on how to get these Senators to do the right thing. Please try it out particularly those who live in these states and have these senators.

psyfi

Banned
This is a really cool thread idea and I love the spirit behind it. Thanks OP and everyone else who has contributed!

There's a few things that I see as particularly important right now.

1. Creating infrastructures to take care of our basic needs independent of the state and capitalism. Corporate America wants us hungry, desperate, and easily manipulated. We need to respond by being as strong as resilient as ever through real relationships on the local level. Food, water, housing, childcare -- let's take care of each other. Much of this is illegal or will be made illegal. Don't let that stop you.

2. Stop numbing ourselves to the pain of the planet. Just like our own bodily pain tells us that there's something that we need to pay attention to, our anguish for the planet is something we need to acknowledge and respond to. We need to think of our lives as tied up with each other, with the planet, and with the project of life.

3. Support local activist projects lead by people of color, immigrants, refugees, disabled people, queer people, and women (though beware racist white women, of course). If you live in a small town that doesn't have much going on, look up projects on the state level. They 100% exist. Support them however you can.

4. Take care of your self. Listen to your needs, wants, dreams, fears, desperation. Talk to your friends, share the things that give you joy as well as the things that burden you. If your job is crushing your soul, get out of it. If you're stuck in an uninspired relationship, get out of it (in a responsible way). Feed yourself things that will truly nourish you. This is your only life.

5. Grow food.

Bumping this topic again. Eric Holder was on the July 7th 2017 episode of Pod Save America stressing the importance of the fight against gerrymandering to keep future local and national voting fair. The site he promoted: National Democratic Redistricting Committee is invested in making sure that local democrats and democratic citizens know who to talk to, what to vote on and pay attention too and just how to get involved in creating fairer district lines in general. Holder also expressed that local elections were highly important and two that would be influential in the fight against gerrymandering were the Governors /gubernatorial races in Virginia and New Jersey both of which have their election days on November 7th, 2017. Progressives who live in those states would do well to begin campaigning or joining currently running campaigns to boost Ralph Northam the Virginia Democratic nominee and Phil Murphy the New Jersey Democratic nominee.

Glad that more people are fighting aginst this stuff.

Same. Beyond numbers, I just hope those same people stay consistent as well. I honestly think this kind of political activism should continue even if literally every politician in the US became a Democrat and the GOP, NRA, etc. other backward efforts died out. You just can't leave things to their own devices and hope they turn out well. I think too many countries get comfortable and ignore or act surprised when bigotry or xenophobia sprout from them in some way shape or form rather than just always being on top of it.

Shauni

The Virginia and New Jersey races are looking good, too. You can't ever treat anything as a sure thing, but early polling in VA is really good and Christie is like going out of his way to soil his seat. Gotta keep it going.

There might be a healthcare vote again, so if you want to see 20 million keep their insurance, today would be a good day to get calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom