• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What some Japanese developers think of NGP/PSP2

KAL2006

Banned
Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Capcom)
Kobayashi believes NGP will change the position of portable systems. He's interested in particular in the systems's screen quality and dual side touch. The screen in particular is beautiful and can be seen clearly from all sides. In terms of price, he expects around ¥29,800.

Akari Uchida (Konami, Love Plus director)
With the appearance of NGP, Uchida believes online games could become even more casual. Users will be able to be attached to games and online communities from all locations.
All games will, like with MMORPGs, allow players to communicate while they play. This makes him excited, as it's something that would work well with the kinds of games that he makes.
Uchida joked that if he were to make an NGP game it would be a game where you use the dual touch panels to grab doors.
He expects a ¥24,980 price point.

Yousuke Hayashi (Tecmo Koei/Team Ninja)
He's interested in the system's specs and online environment.
Until now, they've developed games under the idea that people differentiate between games that are played in the home and on the go. However, in the future, you could be able to continue playing one game on both NGP and PS3.
He'd personally buy the system whatever the price, but as a developer he wants the price to be affordable enough that many players can buy it

Katsuhiro Harada (Namco Bandai, Tekken producer)
He believes that the NGP will be included in HD multiplatform title plans from now on -- not just being multiplatform, but also in connectivity.
Regarding what he would like to make, he has to respond "fighting game," but he'd also like to make a Genpei Toma Den​ (this is an old Namco arcade title) that uses the system's rear touch panel.
Regarding price, he'd like ¥29,800, but he expects ¥34,800.

Jiro Ishii (Level-5, Time Travelers director)
Ishii said he's personally excited about the "grab" style control possibilities offered by having touch panels on both sides of the system. He said that using the system's 3G and other network features, he'd like to make an adventure game that is downloadable cheaply on a weekly basis in similar fashion to renting a video.
He believes that the system could accelerate the movement away from consoles and thinks things could get interesting if the NGP is accepted overseas in such a way. On price, his hope is that it comes out for around ¥25,000.

Yoshinori Kitase (Square Enix)
He's paying attention to the system's 3G capability, as he feels great potential from the ability to connect to the internet all the time. He wants to make an RPG that utilizes the system's specs fully -- something that's online compatible and uses the system's 3G. On price, he said that he'd buy it even it were expensive, but with considerations for sales, he hopes it will cost less than PS3.

Satoshi Sakai (Sega, Phantasy Star producer)
He's watching the system's Wi-Fi and 3G functionality, as he believes a permanent connection could expand the possibilities for online games. He's also excited for the dual touch panels.
Sakai is concerned about rising production costs on the NGP and believes that how to recoup the costs will be a major talking point. Because of his, he thinks that downloadable games could increase.
If he were to make a game, he said he'd want it to be a multiplayer game with online features.
On price, ¥25,000 would be best, but he believes ¥30,000 would be shocking enough.

Akihiro Suzuki (Tecmo Koei)
He's excited about the system's dual sided touch and can't wait to see how the rear touch is incorporated into gameplay. He also believes the constant connection provided by 3G will be a big thing.
When making NGP software, he personally believes there are two points: using dual sided touch inputs, and using things like wireless functionality and GPS.
He hopes the price will be just as surprising as the system's specs were.

Suda 51 (Grasshopper Manufacture)
The point of note for the system is its network connectivity. Also among the areas he's watching out for are the system's spread in overseas markets, and its compatibility with the Unreal Engine.
If he were to make a game, he'd like to make a punk themed network game.
He's hoping for a price point of below ¥30,000.

Jun Takeuchi (Capcom)
The feeling upon actually getting his hands on the system was overwhelmingly "game system." With the feel of holding the system, the feel of the analogue stick controls, and the ease of view for the screen, he felt it was designed to be a complete game system.
A price point of under ¥30,000 would have a great impact, he believes.

Toshihiro Nagoshi (Sega, Yakuza series)
He's looking at all areas of the system. The system feels like it has good balance and delivers much of what one would want from a new game playing device. He believes it's possible that by building up community via 3G and other wireless functionality, the system could change the game industry.
Work for developers will probably increase, he said, but if it heats up the market, it's work with value.

Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Marvelous Entertainment, Harvest Moon)
Said he wants to make a number of sequels, but would also like to try out completely new titles, including a school love game, games with extreme violence, and slow life games.

Akihiro Hino (Level-5)
The big point of the system is its network functionality, Hino believes. The NGP will make buying games via the internet a more mainstream activity. On the gameplay front, there could be the possibility of all games needing to have internet compatibility.
On price, he expects ¥29,800, but hopes that Sony will keep the 3DS in mind and release the system in the lower ¥20,000 range.

Makoto Yoshizumi (Namco Bandai, Tales series)
The top three features that have his interest are: wireless, connectivity with PS3, and more robust DLC. He'd like to make content that uses these features -- in fact, he feels that there's no meaning if you don't use those features.
On price, he believes that if the system betrays your expectations in a good way, it could cause a huge movement.

Hiroshi Maruyama (CyberConnect2)
For CC2, the big point is the high specifications. He's very happy that they'll be able to use the knowhow they've gained from working with HD consoles. If CC2 were to make NGP software, they'd want to make something that would surprise players visually.
On price, he wants ¥29,800, but said it could end up being ¥39,800. Whatever the price, he's going to buy it.

Noritaka Funamizu (Crafts & Meister)
He views NGP first as a game machine. The OLED display is extremely beautiful. He'd like to use that and the analogue sticks to create a base game and also add networking ideas on top of that. He's hoping to try out a type of game that's different from Wii's Earth Seeker.
On price, he expects ¥39,800.

more impressions here
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/02/developer_ngp_commentary/

Katsuhiro Harada (Namco Bandai, Tekken producer)
He believes that the NGP will be included in HD multiplatform title plans from now on -- not just being multiplatform, but also in connectivity.

This is what I find most exciting.

Gravijah

DR3AM said:
Regarding price, he'd like ¥29,800, but he expects ¥34,800.

What's that in USD???

360-420ish dollars.

Hm... $350 is looking quite likely. Maybe 400 for the 3G version.

Glix

Until now, they've developed games under the idea that people differentiate between games that are played in the home and on the go. However, in the future, you could be able to continue playing one game on both NGP and PS3.

Wasn't the PSP supposed to do this with Madden? I'll believe this when I see it.

This is what I find most exciting

Why? So the NGP rev can be the lowest common denominator that all the multiplat games are programmed for (like the xbox now). I agree, I'm super psyched for my PC games to become even shittier!

rpmurphy

Lots of emphasis on 3G, player-to-player interaction ideas, and the back touch, it seems to me. It will be interesting to see what kind of gameplay they will have in store that will be new and unique.

Sounds promising, although I'm still worried that a phone or tablet will be coming out that has a touch panel on the back that will tarnish the NGP's primary gimmick.

Gravijah

Saint10118 said:
Sounds promising, although I'm still worried that a phone or tablet will be coming out that has a touch panel on the back that will tarnish the NGP's primary gimmick.

That's not a bad thing, more back touch games, more back touch experience for developers.

KAL2006

Banned
Namco talking about NGP to be included with future multiplatform games and the potential to have DLC on NGP games.

Namco :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sammy Samusu said:
Most of them talks about the 3G technology, and in my honest opinion, this can't be good.

If the developers in question can actually make online games that are playable on a typical 3g connection, then surely that is A Good Thing?

I am glad that virtually all of them isolated interface and connectivity possibilities as their highlights. That bodes well for differentiation that PSP arguably lacked.

gofreak said:
If the developers in question can actually make online games that are playable on a typical 3g connection, then surely that is A Good Thing?

I am glad that virtually all of them isolated interface and connectivity possibilities as their highlights. That bodes well for differentiation that PSP arguably lacked.
I'm not talking about games making use of the 3G connection, I'm talking about paying for that service, and having an access point.

Not everybody lives in the US or Japan.

Barrett2

I seriously have no idea how I will justify a $400-ish handheld purchase to my wife. I'll have to secretly buy this thing and hide it in my book bag. Haha.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sammy Samusu said:
I'm not talking about games making use of the 3G connection, I'm talking about paying for that service, and having an access point.

Not everybody lives in the US or Japan.

Oh. Well they were mostly talking about it from a consumption and/or game development POV. I'm not sure why it's bad for them to like the idea of 3g in that context - if they do happen to figure out how to make a game work well online with that type of connection, and you DON'T have 3g, just play over wifi as you otherwise would.

Ditto from a consumer POV - if you don't have access to 3g or can't afford it, just use wifi has you otherwise would and do for other devices. You are no worse off in that situation than you would be if the device didn't have 3g at all.

(Side note, but I also assume you mean 'Europe or Japan' - since I'm led to believe the 3g landscape in the US is awful compared to Europe/JPN.)

KAL2006

Banned
I think 3G features these developers are interested in are for games that don't require fast internet connections. Things like Chess, turn based RPGs like Pokemon, Hotshots Golf and etc can only be played with 3G connection, as those games don't require fast internet connections and both players playing each other directly at the same time like Street Fighter and etc.

3G can also be used to keep up to date with a game for example a puzzle games has new puzzles you can download every week (of course this is limited to small downloads similar to iPhone). LiveArea feature that was shown will also be used with 3G. LiveArea is basicallyan area for each game that shows rankings, dlc, news posts (such as double experience week), realtime messages posted about the game similar to Facebook wall posts. Also 3G can be used to check messages and send messages (either by skype, voice, text, pics and etc). Another good use for 3G is browsing the internet.

Of course 3G is not a required feature, all those above things can be done with WiFi (and more such as proper online games like Street Fighter). I expect some regions to not even have 3G models.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
KAL2006 has pretty much hit it spot on. 3G is great for slower crap, and it's a godsend in places where there is absolutely no wifi, but it's not a huge deal breaker for me. The simple fact that it's Sony's next handheld should be more than worthy of a purchase.

One thing I worry will be the 3G roaming. It will be a point of sales for travelers if they can use the 3G connection oversea as well. Or else. It could be a 3G bill nightmare.

Why? So the NGP rev can be the lowest common denominator that all the multiplat games are programmed for (like the xbox now). I agree, I'm super psyched for my PC games to become even shittier!

I doubt it will affect the quality of graphics on PS3 / XBOX, the NGP versions will simply be scaled back in certain departments. But it's cool to think we could have a close parity between a portable and a home console; at one time that would have been crazy talk.

crazy monkey said:
29800 is $363
Wages have gone up in Japan more than in the US. The dollar is weak. Plus japan is more interested in the psp and psp2 than the US.

I expect the cheap sku will cost $299 in the US and 29800 in Japan. They might overproduce and overship the expensive sku early on though to make more money at launch until supply outstrips demand.

KAL2006

Banned
Appollowexx said:
I doubt it will affect the quality of graphics on PS3 / XBOX

I would not mind multiplatform HD games with shitter graphics if it means I can play MvC3, Elder Scrolls, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet 2, GTA and etc in bed before I go to sleep. Of course I would still prefer plenty of new exclusive games for NGP.

wsippel

Banned
No surprises, but it pretty much confirms that the game GHM plans to reveal later this month wont be a NGP title.

Glix

Appollowexx said:
I doubt it will affect the quality of graphics on PS3 / XBOX, the NGP versions will simply be scaled back in certain departments

But it's cool to think we could have a close parity between a portable and a home console; at one time that would have been crazy talk.

Right, just like the XBOX versions of games are simply scaled back (sarcasam), and the devs put all that extra money into making them look nicer on PS3/PC. Please.

On second quote - IT WAS THE SAME TALK AS WHEN THE PSP LAUNCHED!!!!!!!

inner-G

Banned
lawblob said:
I seriously have no idea how I will justify a $400-ish handheld purchase to my wife. I'll have to secretly buy this thing and hide it in my book bag. Haha.
Trade in an old handheld for an undisclosed 'good amount' towards the new one ;)

mclem

KAL2006 said:
Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Capcom)
Kobayashi believes NGP will change the position of portable systems.

Is... is he saying that it'll elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto?

gcubed

doesnt the divide by 100 rule still work? Doing straight currency conversions was and will always be stupid

Sipowicz

Banned
wtf!

they could be a little more excited about it. psp along with the ds is basically keeping the japanese games industry alive

Blueblur1

I hope Satoshi Sakai is already making plans for PSO2 Portable. I would pay any price seeing as how PSPortable 2 on the PSP is already amazing.

I would be excited if all the games would be compatible with the PS3. Can you imagine how many HD JRPG's would be released because of the NGP? I would be an extremely happy gamer.

Host Samurai said:
I would be excited if all the games would be compatible with the PS3. Can you imagine how many HD JRPG's would be released because of the NGP? I would be an extremely happy gamer.

This would be seriously awesome (and by extension all PSP downloaded games). But touch interfaces could be a roadblock. And I'm not sure if Sony is ready to take such a bold move. But it is absolutely the smart thing to do.

zoku88

KAL2006 said:
Akari Uchida (Konami, Love Plus director)
With the appearance of NGP, Uchida believes online games could become even more casual. Users will be able to be attached to games and online communities from all locations.
All games will, like with MMORPGs, allow players to communicate while they play. This makes him excited, as it's something that would work well with the kinds of games that he makes.
Uchida joked that if he were to make an NGP game it would be a game where you use the dual touch panels to grab doors.
He expects a ¥24,980 price point.
Yea, doors. That's what he's really thinking >.>

I want that game....

itsgreen

I love the NGP hardware. But I still find it really hard to pay $350 if I already have a great phone in my pocket which can give me a pretty ok gaming experience.

If they can just stick some phone software on there it would be great. Than they can also get it subsidized by the telco's.

Grinchy

Banned
As much as this device tempts me, I have to remember that I disliked the 3000 because of its size. I can't allow myself to buy this thing at full price only to find out I don't want to take it anywhere.

Please, don't let me buy this thing! I could use that money towards one of the productive things I do in life, like that thing I do and the other thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Suda 51 (Grasshopper Manufacture)
The point of note for the system is its network connectivity. Also among the areas he's watching out for are the system's spread in overseas markets, and its compatibility with the Unreal Engine.
If he were to make a game, he'd like to make a punk themed network game.

I hope he means Cyber Punk. Make this game now!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Trojita said:
I hope he means Cyber Punk. Make this game now!
y8gZw.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Glix said:
On second quote - IT WAS THE SAME TALK AS WHEN THE PSP LAUNCHED!!!!!!!

I can't wait until Uncharted Portable is ported to the PS3.

Top Bottom