• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? - 2017 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
So I will freely admit that I have not followed CBS' Zoo at all since its season 1 trailers. Not read anything about it, nothing. I thought it was something like Roar (1981) but with fewer of its actors getting mauled by real life tigers.

I recently caught the trailer for the third season.

I... uh what the fuck is going on? It's some post apocalypse where everyone is armed? Weird sci-fi lab?? Kids being rounded up in trucks??? Volcanoes???? Terrible CGI mutant-monster-animal-dinosaur things?????
What even is this show??????

kevin1025

Banned
So I will freely admit that I have not followed CBS' Zoo at all since its season 1 trailers. Not read anything about it, nothing. I thought it was something like Roar (1981) but with fewer of its actors getting mauled by real life tigers.

I recently caught the trailer for the third season.

I... uh what the fuck is going on? It's some post apocalypse where everyone is armed? Weird sci-fi lab?? Kids being rounded up in trucks??? Volcanoes???? Terrible CGI mutant-monster-animal-dinosaur things?????
What even is this show??????

Brought to you by James Patterson!

I've never watched this show, but that trailer makes me want to!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I watched the first couple episodes of Zoo Season 1 on Netflix. It's honestly a blur though. The show is basically a spiritual successor to Under the Dome. Just ridiculousness stacked on top of more ridiculousness, and all played straight.

I haven't seen any of Zoo, but Brian Grubb's articles on it at Warming Glow are hilarious.

- The Season Premiere Of ‘Zoo’ Featured The Most Ridiculous Runway Scene Since ‘Fast & Furious 6’
- This Week On ‘Zoo’: Ants Are Trying To Blow Up Switzerland!
- Something Truly Incredible Happened On This Week’s Episode Of ‘Zoo’
- Your Guide To Season Two Of ‘Zoo,’ The Craziest Show On Television
- Everything You Need To Know About ‘Zoo’ Heading Into Its Season Fina-… AAHH GORILLA ATTACK!

Enjoy!

Bonus gif:

MsOs5yb.gif

gforguava

Zoo is a wonderfully ridiculous and fun piece of work. Our heroes travel the world trying to stop a convoluted plot and animal shenanigans and just utter nonsense.

zoo2.gif

It has two of the greatest characters of the past few years in Jamie(a thoroughly unremarkable person who is somehow one of the most important people in the world) and Mitch Morgan(the world's best and only action-veterinarian). There romance is the greatest love story of our time.

Season 2 ended with...
one of our main characters sacrificing themselves to save the rest and then we jump ahead a bunch of years to the future where the human race is now sterile and there are mutant super-animals. And the person who sacrificed themselves is still alive!

image.gif

berzeli

Banned
I haven't seen any of Zoo, but Brian Grubb's articles on it at Warming Glow are hilarious.
*snip*
Enjoy!

Bonus gif:

Zoo is a wonderfully ridiculous and fun piece of work. Our heroes travel the world trying to stop a convoluted plot and animal shenanigans and just utter nonsense.

It has two of the greatest characters of the past few years in Jamie(a thoroughly unremarkable person who is somehow one of the most important people in the world) and Mitch Morgan(the world's best and only action-veterinarian). There romance is the greatest love story of our time.

Season 2 ended with...
one of our main characters sacrificing themselves to save the rest and then we jump ahead a bunch of years to the future where the human race is now sterile and there are mutant super-animals. And the person who sacrificed themselves is still alive!
snYHmWv.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
posted? Ozark teaser

love that cast, I know its popular to shit on Netflix on netflix on Gaf these days, but I think they are killing it with more and more originals.

kevin1025

Banned

zoo2.gif

Season 2 ended with...

image.gif

...*makes highest TV watching priority*

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
posted? Ozark teaser

love that cast, I know its popular to shit on Netflix on netflix on Gaf these days, but I think they are killing it with more and more originals.

Looks good. Sorta came outta nowhere. I'm less skeptical of their TV original offerings compared to the incredibly terrible to middling movie ones. Beasts of No Nation was probably the best they've done and that was one of the first.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Looks good. Sorta came outta nowhere. I'm less skeptical of their TV original offerings compared to the incredibly terrible to middling movie ones. Beasts of No Nation was probably the best they've done and that was one of the first.

I just like that there are making shows most networks wouldnt touch, like Master of None which feels very experimental.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Yep. Beasts of No Nation so far has been the only Netflix original (non documentary) movie that's felt vital - everything else has unfortunately come across as a direct to dvd movie. (I'm really looking forward to Okja though!)

Rhaknar

Yep. Beasts of No Nation so far has been the only Netflix original (non documentary) movie that's felt vital - everything else has unfortunately come across as a direct to dvd movie. (I'm really looking forward to Okja though!)

I liked that one with the teen singer, selena gomez or whatever

and Paul Rudd, you know, the actual actor lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I liked that one with the teen singer, selena gomez or whatever

and Paul Rudd, you know, the actual actor lol
The Fundamentals of Caring. That was fully produced without Netflix's input, however. They picked it up for distribution just prior to its premiere at Sundance.

Grizzlyjin

Saw that the red carpet premiere for I'm Dying Up Here was tonight..which led me to imdb to see when the actual premiere was, and it looks like Showtime made Episode 1 available early. Haven't checked the app yet, but it looks like you can watch it without a Showtime sub, just need to put in an email address and your D.O.B.

http://www.sho.com/video/56361/im-dying-up-here-series-premiere

*takes deep breath*

I'm about to dive in. Wish me luck.

Grizzlyjin

*sigh* Oh, I'm Dying Up Here.

Well, it's about as obnoxious as I expected. It's 2017, you can reel it back and not blare back to back to back 70s music to let me know what era we're in. No fucking subtly

Oh look, a tracking shot across a comedy club while we listen to cartoonish caricatures say "Fuck" every other sentence to establish this is an adult drama. You're not Goodfellas.

And of course, it isn't funny. Which, maybe you can slide on if the comics being presented are supposed to all be hacks. But it's not even funny when a character is supposedly zinging someone. Yeah, I won't be coming back for Episode 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
*sigh* Oh, I'm Dying Up Here.

Well, it's about as obnoxious as I expected. It's 2017, you can reel it back and not blare back to back to back 70s music to let me know what era we're in. No fucking subtly

Oh look, a tracking shot across a comedy club while we listen to cartoonish caricatures say "Fuck" every other sentence to establish this is an adult drama. You're not Goodfellas.

And of course, it isn't funny. Which, maybe you can slide on if the comics being presented are supposed to all be hacks. But it's not even funny when a character is supposedly zinging someone. Yeah, I won't be coming back for Episode 2.

So, Showtime's Vinyl then. Yikes.

Grizzlyjin

So, Showtime's Vinyl then. Yikes.

I never watched Vinyl but I challenge you to watch this and not roll your eyes a dozen times in the first 10 minutes.

I've seen some reviews that say the first episode is the best one, so I'm definitely out on this one. Lol. No thank you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I never watched Vinyl but I challenge you to watch this and not roll your eyes a dozen times in the first 10 minutes.

I've seen some reviews that say the first episode is the best one, so I'm definitely out on this one. Lol. No thank you.

I think I'll pass :)

Yowza. In a way I'm almost glad that this probably isn't all that good since it's almost certain to die launching after the catastrophe that is Twin Peaks' ratings.

Is it possible that the best show Showtime will air this summer is Ray fucking Donovan? *shakes fist* You were my favorite premium channel Showtime. Remember that time when you gave me two Shameless seasons in one year? More like that and less like this please.

- ‘Loaded’: Trailer & Premiere Date For AMC’s Tech Entrepreneur Dramedy
“No one deserves millions for a cat game that mums play on the toilet.” Four crazy friends. One stupid app. And now, one trailer and one premiere date. Here is our first look at Loaded, the comedic drama that AMC just slated to premiere at 10 PM Monday, July 17, following Preacher.

The eight-episode series follows four tech entrepreneurs and childhood friends who, on the heels of selling their gaming company, become instant multimillionaires and are forced to deal with the pitfalls that come with being an overnight success. Jim Howick, Samuel Anderson, Jonny Sweet and Nick Helm play the nouveau riche quartet who have just sold their souls, er, company to Casey (Mary McCormack), who proves to be a high-powered, no-B.S. boss.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Reviews for #IDUH:

TV Line said:
The comics' jokes aren't funny. Because of that, we don't buy into their talent and can't get invested in their journey. And as soon as they step offstage, any semblance of humor dries up completely.

TV Guide said:
Almost everyone's miserable on this Strip. I'm Dying Up Here would feel more alive if it had a sharper focus.

Roger Ebert .com said:
It's sporadically entertaining and interesting, but cut up by wild tonal shifts, bad editing, and some worse writing. It doesn't help that the whole thing looks like a bad comedy sketch, complete with gauzy lensing and exaggerated costumes designed to scream ‘70s. Too little of it feels lived-in or genuine.

Newsday said:
You've seen it before, read it before. Too bad Dying passed up an opportunity to tell it in an exciting, engaging new way.

Variety said:
The series spends a lot of time on truths that are fairly well known — i.e., that standups are generally damaged, difficult people who have trouble with intimacy and both cheer and envy the success of their peers. But the show doesn't spend quite enough time and effort on the kind of deeply textured character development that would allow it to stand out in a crowd.

Sepinwall and a few others liked it though.

Grizzlyjin

So I'm watching Season 2, Episode 1 of Zoo and in the first 3 minutes their car was t-boned by a rhino, they created a wall of flames to stop an animal stampede, and a mother literally covered in hornets passed her baby off to the French secret agent woman. This all happened so fast that my brain collapsed and I laughed so hard that I cried. Oh, and I think there was a car explosion in there somewhere too.

- Swedish Dicks trailer
SWEDISH DICKS, the new scripted procedural comedy about a mismatched pair of L.A.-based detectives, premieres on Pop Wednesday, August 2, at 8/7c.

Starring Peter Stormare (“John Wick: Chapter 2,” “Fargo,” “American Gods”) and actor/comedian Johan Glans (Best Male Comedian, “Swedish Comedy Awards”) with special recurring guest star Keanu Reeves (“John Wick,” “The Matrix”), SWEDISH DICKS is a half-hour single camera comedy about an aging ex-stuntman (Stormare) stuck in the past, and an overly optimistic Swedish DJ (Glans) stuck in the digital world. Together they get unstuck by forming the private detective firm ‘Swedish Dicks’ – solving some of the strangest and wildest cases L.A. has ever seen. The 10-episode first season features an array of guest stars, including Traci Lords (“Cry-Baby,” “Melrose Place”), Margaret Cho (“Fashion Police,” “Drop Dead Diva”), Anthony LaPaglia (“Without a Trace,” “Frasier”) and Eric Roberts (“The Dark Knight,” “Suits”).

So I'm watching Season 2, Episode 1 of Zoo and in the first 3 minutes their car was t-boned by a rhino, they created a wall of flames to stop an animal stampede, and a mother literally covered in hornets passed her baby off to the French secret agent woman. This all happened so fast that my brain collapsed and I laughed so hard that I cried. Oh, and I think there was a car explosion in there somewhere too.
Someone should put together a ~10 min youtube vid of out-of-context clips from Zoo.

berzeli

Banned
If Netflix releases season 2 of Flaked and its audience stays the same, does it make an impact?

Ti3z8ve.png

qmUK9pa.png

0SpjhTQ.png

The answer is no. No it does not.
(I would have quoted the RT audience score, but there is shenanigans with that one, several profiles which gave it 5/5 aren't accessible for some reason...)

;_;
It's so beautiful.
I could have sworn this premiered on Pop like 15 months ago...
I think that might be because I have incessantly written about its production because it is the weirdest thing. I'm still not over how Keanu Reeves is in that show. And people were arguing that Cowboy Bebop would be beneath him. lol.

Grizzlyjin

Okay I watched Blood Drive. It's actually... pretty decent. I was bracing for faux film grain filters and endless quick cuts, but it's filmed like a standard single cam shows 95% of the time. Not as obnoxious as I would've expected. To my complete and utter amazement, I think I'm going to stick with it lol. First episode was fun.

- Star Trek: Discovery announces its official premiere date
EW said:
Trek will return to series television on Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30 p.m. ET with a special telecast on CBS (the network’s NFL football coverage will act as its lead-in). Both the premiere and the second episode will also immediately debut on the CBS All Access streaming service (so if viewers finish the premiere and want to know what happens next, they can instantly switch to All Access to find out). After that, the series be released weekly on All Access for the rest of its 15-episode run, which will be split into two parts. The first eight episodes will be made available on Sunday nights through Nov. 5, then the show will take a winter hiatus; Discovery will resume its second chapter in January 2018. Outside the U.S., the series will air on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom