• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Lionel Richie Lionel Richie said it was the best game ever but the art and the fact you have to beat the same people multiple times makes me think of Issac and Bravely Default.
This is a very strange thread, lmao.

It's a phenomenal game IMO that deserves every bit of praise that it receives. I feel to say such a thing without playing the game at all isn't just whatsoever.

This was my first Supergiant game, but going into it I heard quite a bit of praise about Supercell over the past few years.

The end result is an incredible game full of a ton of replay value, great mechanics, music, voice acting, art, etc. It's a phenomenal package, especially if you're into rogue-like or similar games.

They haven't done anything since 2013.

Nymphae

Banned
Never even heard of it, I largely ignore the games press these days and only have time for big releases I'm interested in

Holammer

I'm going to assume OPs rant is a Devil's advocate type rhetorical device to get a discussion going on how awesome Hades is, and not some fucking idiot that only plays AAA games or somethin'.
My personal 2020 GotY. 10/10. SuperGiant's magnum opus.

slgPdu9.jpg

Fbh

You are telling me an indie game that doesn't have the budget for a multi million dollar marketing campaign was a sort of low key until it released and good reviews and excellent worth of mouth started spreading around?

Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OP all that stuff you spewed out in your original post, but you didn't even mention if you played it or not. I can tell that certain games are not for me, but i wouldn't sit there and spew hate towards it if i never even played it.

For example, i probably wouldnt play it myself because im tired of rogue type games. I wouldnt sit here and say its crap, etc....though because obviously it isnt if the word of mouth is so good for it.

Last edited:
The game is alright, if you like indie rogue games. Dead Cells got the same push. It's all just critics patting themselves on the back for finding and "making" the next big thing. They couldn't claim they were behind the success of Among Us/Fall Guys/Phasmaphobia, so the coalition is pushing extra hard for Hades this year.

It is part of their job along with "unmaking" the next mainstream thing.

Dont let it get to you. Play games you have fun with.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
OP all that stuff you spewed out in your original post, but you didn't even mention if you played it or not. I can tell that certain games are not for me, but i wouldn't sit there and spew hate towards it if i never even played it.
He's complaining that it didn't sell like a big AAA blockbuster so shouldn't be at the game awards.

Hilariously, the only good use for stupid awards shows is giving at least a touch of promotion to indie/less funded projects (same for films.) Everything else about awards shows are just corporate ball washing and advertising for companies that don't need the advertising.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Classic GAF thread. Question why a game is lauded without actually playing it for yourself.

Lmao just in time for the worst thread of the year.

Hades is one of the best gameplay centric games out there, and like others have said it, one of the very few roguelikes that made it work within its own story while still having a very eviscerating combat mechanic.

I can’t speak to the game’s quality because I haven’t played it yet. All the same, this happens a lot. It happened in 2012 with The Walking Dead and Journey. The people rally behind it, and then a narrative is formed. It’s one thing to say the game is amazing and all, but I keep seeing all this “This is the actual GOTY” or “TLoU 2/Ghost Of Tsushima/Insert game didn’t deserve it. True gamers blah blah” So tiresome.

Arkam

"Overwhelming Positive" from almost 19k Steam reviews indicates to me it is much more than just media hype.
To be fair my local Domino’s has overwhelmingly positive reviews in excess of 15k. Not knocking this game, but just because a bunch of people like it does not make it good. It’s just a data point. We all have different tastes and (should be) aware that the internet can easily become a megaphone in an echo chamber.

Athreous

I bought the game, played like 10 minutes and didn't touch it since then.

It's a good game, but there were many better options in 2020...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried it on Switch. Game is pretty, challenging in a good way and very fun. And I just liked Bastion and thought Transistor was kinda meh. Haven´t tried Pyre.

Sadly the framerate on handheld wasn´t perfect for me, so I´ll jump in on pc later.

And also wtf, the first boss's voice kinda turn me on. :lollipop_content:

b0uncyfr0

Its a great game. Gameplay is tight and the lore - voice acting - action are just top tier. Its also really fun cause every run is never the same, characters adapt to you and evolve as you progress. To anyone on the fence, i gurantee you wont be dissapointed. This game was robbed of the GOTY award.

Fu*king TLOU2 , please.

Last edited:

Enzo88

Whoever is reading this, please just know that the OP is not representative of GAF overall....one of the worst thread ever made.
If nothing, the game should have won more awards, but you know, popularity contest and all.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I feel this way about almost every indie game released since "Braid" in 2008.

All this hype and I naturally go play the game and its either complete dogshit OR somewhat ok but nowhere near worth the praise

Makes you wonder if the games industry has some type of 'casting couch' ? I wouldn't be surprised

ethomaz

Banned
It sold 700k over a year long early access, and then ~300k in it's launch month.

That is not how a AAA blockbuster sells lol

Where are you even getting several million?
It sold 3-5 million copies on Steam alone.

1 million announce was about the Early Access.

Last edited:

me0wish

I'd understand why someone would like it, but it's very overhyped by the media, if you ask me, I think it's because it ticks the right boxes for the media to hype it up. What's more weird, is the over protective fan base, it's something I've only seen revolve around console exclusives.

As someone who likes Super Giant and rogue likes, Hades was a disappointing supbar game, it certainly has heart though, I'll give it that.

YoodlePro

It's probably the best time I've had with a rogue-like game since The Binding of Isaac Rebirth came out. I bought that shit on PC, Playstation and Switch.

me0wish

I feel this way about almost every indie game released since "Braid" in 2008.

All this hype and I naturally go play the game and its either complete dogshit OR somewhat ok but nowhere near worth the praise

Makes you wonder if the games industry has some type of 'casting couch' ? I wouldn't be surprised
Braid was a nightmare, it was when I tried to discuss things with people, and whenever I'd say Braid was "meh", people would react as if I was crazy.

Braid is forgotten today, only remembered as that game that was a 360 exclusive that looked nice.

IntentionalPun

ethomaz

Banned
No they announced it had sold 700k up until it went live, then hit 1 million I guess a few days after release:

Where are you getting 5 million from?
SteamSpy has it at 2-5 millions owners.
300k was only launch sales.... that is why the 1 million are basically Early Access sales.

It launched in Sep 17, the tweet was posted in Sep 20.

BTW that not including Switch sales... only Steam is already 2-5 millions.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

SteamSpy has it at 2-5 million owners.
So you said 3-5 million.. then "around 5 million"... and this was based on SteamSpy's ridiculous 2-5 million range? lol

SteamSpy stopped being accurate like 2 years ago because of Steam's API changes... and they are particularly inaccurate the less popular a game is.

If it had sold anywhere near 5 million, then that would be 4 million copies between late September and now.

You really think that millions bought the game past September but it's average peak player count went down since that month?

It's reasonable to assume that it had decent legs, but not "5 million copies" legs.

Last edited:
OP is moron. Prolly never heard of Dead Cells or Risk of Rain 2 either.

So? He should of thought like everyone else and not voice his opinion because it's not like everyone else's?

We Era now?
That is not an opinion, that is simply ignorance. Labeling indies as trash because he doesn’t understand that they have amazing gameplay is the height of someone who is blinded by the AAA industry. He prolly hates Nintendo games as well.

I hope for him he grows up soon, as he is clearly missing out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Never really loved Supergiant games. People loved Bastion. I played it and found it to be mediocre. So I’m skipping Hades until it hits a Humble Bundle. But I can recognize that a lot of people do seem to love Hades and Supergiant’s other games.

Wish other indie games got as much attention as their games. Obra Dinn, for example, is an incredible piece of work and design but didn’t get nearly the same amount of attention.

ethomaz

Banned
So you said 3-5 million.. then "around 5 million"... and this was based on SteamSpy's ridiculous 2-5 million range? lol

SteamSpy stopped being accurate like 2 years ago because of Steam's API changes... and they are particularly inaccurate the less popular a game is.

If it had sold anywhere near 5 million, then that would be 4 million copies between late September and now.

You really think that millions bought the game past September but it's average player count went down since that month?
The sales are always higher than the minimum on SteamSpy.
They are not accurate with the max because it is the estimates but the minimum is what they tracked with owners.

It is rounded too... 2-5 millions mean over 2 million mininum.

And yes it sold 300k in the launch day sales alone... it is selling pretty well in the last 3 months... it had discount on Steam Winter sales too.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The sales are always higher than the minimum on SteamSpy.
They are not accurate with the max because it is the estimates but the minimum is what they tracked with owners.

It is rounded too... 2-5 millions mean over 2 million mininum.

No it doesn't; Steam Spy has no way to actually "track owners."

I would not be remotely surprised if it sold 2 million total.. but saying "5 million" because it's the high range of a site that can only estimate based on a little bit of data is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom