• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

me0wish

OP is moron. Prolly never heard of Dead Cells or Risk of Rain 2 either.

That is not an opinion, that is simply ignorance. Labeling indies as trash because he doesn’t understand that they have amazing gameplay is the height of someone who is blinded by the AAA industry. He prolly hates Nintendo games as well.

I hope for him he grows up soon, as he is clearly missing out.
I disagree with some of his takes, and his attitude isn't the best, but it is his opinion.

I'm saying this as someone who's gotys are a bunch of niche unknown games, and think that botw, a game I passionately love, is over hyped.

ethomaz

Banned
No it doesn't; Steam Spy has no way to actually "track owners."

I would not be remotely surprised if it sold 2 million total.. but saying "5 million" because it's the high range of a site that can only estimate based on a little bit of data is ridiculous.
Yes it does... over 2 million owners is guaranteed.
It sold way over 2 million to be fair... how much is the estimate because they don’t have all data.

It is not accurate for games that sold less than 30k... for these it is useless.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Imagine being on Gaf and somehow still being this out of touch with games? Came out of nowhere? Huh?

Does your world consist solely of COD, Madden, Fifa, and Just Dance?

Starfield

OP is moron. Prolly never heard of Dead Cells or Risk of Rain 2 either.

That is not an opinion, that is simply ignorance. Labeling indies as trash because he doesn’t understand that they have amazing gameplay is the height of someone who is blinded by the AAA industry. He prolly hates Nintendo games as well.

I hope for him he grows up soon, as he is clearly missing out.
I'm a moron for not having the same opinion as appearantly everyone else in this thread?

Well must be true then if that's coming from a bunny-eared anime girl avatar

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes it does... over 2 million owners is guaranteed.
It sold way over 2 million to be fair... how much is the estimate because they don’t have all data.
There is no guarantee and it's all rough estimates, the low and the high.

He does not have access to actual sales data... not minimum or otherwise.

He's making an estimate based on some algorithm that he had to change in 2018, and has barely talked about it since.. find me any info about Steam Spy being accurate and I'd bet it's from before 2018. He was praised for his accuracy then because he had access to more data.. Steam killed off access to that API data in late 2018 and the site had to revert to much less accurate estimates.

Even his faq/technology page is still referencing his "old way of doing things" because.. well.. his new way isn't as good, obviously lol

Last edited:

Mahadev

OP, stop being such a fucking normie that only plays the same dull overmarketed AAA games and start playing indie games, I used to be the same snobby bitch and once I tried them I never went back. Certainly doesn't help that woketards have taken over most of AAA development and turned it into shit with their terrible storytelling and diversity hires.

Seriously though, if you find yourself getting bored of gaming start checking out high-rated steam games, it's a completely new experience, indie developers have invented new genres I didn't even know I liked.

Last edited:

Keihart

What are you talking about? it's a really fucking great rogue like with very nice to look at art design, banging soundtrack and fast combat. The game was even out for a while in early access to fine tune it and whatnot.
Also, have you fucking seen the animated trailer?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There is no guarantee and it's all rough estimates, the low and the high.

He does not have access to actual sales data... not minimum or otherwise.

He's making an estimate based on some algorithm that he had to change in 2018, and has barely talked about it since.. find me any info about Steam Spy being accurate and I'd bet it's from before 2018. He was praised for his accuracy then because he had access to more data.. Steam killed off access to that API data in late 2018 and the site had to revert to much less accurate estimates.

Even his faq/technology page is still referencing his "old way of doing things" because.. well.. his new way isn't as good, obviously lol
Nope.
The minimum is the data he has... after that is the estimates... pretty accurate.

When the site get more data it will start to give even more accurate numbers with the margin of error like 5m +-200k.

It is at minimum 2 million sales on Steam and that is a low base... probably way more than that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm a moron for not having the same opinion as appearantly everyone else in this thread?

When some accuses you of being a moron you should't answer with insults like that man, it kinda gives the reason to the bunny-eared pal.

Why don't you tell us your experience with the game? Why do you don't like it?

Carna

Banned
Because the game industry and media like to create hype around a game that isn't that great, for revenue.

Kacho

I used to irrationally hate indie games too OP. Get it all out and take your lumps. You’re on the road to acceptance.

Paasei

This game was in early access for a while as well. Back then there wasn't too much news about it. When it finally released, it turned out it truly became as good as it is. Deserves the hype quite a bit for me personally. The only Rogue like game so far I have thoroughly enjoyed and still do.

drotahorror

So? He should have the same opinion as everyone? Or should he not voice his opinion because it's not like everyone else's?

We Era now?

Not really an opinion. More like a "I'm mad that a game that's not AAA got recognized".

Honestly, I'm happy for Supergiant. Hades is top-notch, I played it during early access and had a great time with it. It solidified it's place right next to the best when it comes to rogue-likes/lites that I enjoy.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nope.
The minimum is the data he has... after that is the estimates... pretty accurate.

When the site get more data it will start to give even more accurate numbers with the margin of error like 5m +-200k.

It is at minimum 2 million sales on Steam and that is a low base... probably way more than that.
You are just making shit up now.

He used to be able to poll users profiles; so he'd use the same techniques political polls use... poll a certain percentage of Steam profiles, then extrapolate from there. Even then, back when he had that data, it was still an estimate with a margin of error (that can be wrong, but unlikely because polling techniques are actually a science and pretty accurate)

He no longer has access to that data at all... he initially shut down the service, but re-created it with a less accurate algorithm he admits isn't as good and has more "outliers" but he also hasn't really explained what it is:

The new algorithm is based on Ph.D. research Galyonkin had undertaken in a “previous life,” built on “predicting economic outcomes based on accidental data that might be irrelevant to the predicted results using machine learning.” Using coincidental data from outside of Steam, the method has been applied to 70 games, with many of them coming within a 10% margin of error to accurate results.

But there are also some “crazy outliers,” Galyonkin says. Roughly a tenth of the initial games predicted were way off, with some being as far from the real numbers as five times. Even with great results for the majority of games, those outliers mean the new Steam Spy is “not very accurate.”

From his statements he's likely using things like social media engagement, google trends, etc.

ML is really fucking cool and I've seen it do amazing things, but it can also be wildly inaccurate.

He does not know if there is a minimum of 2 million sales.. it's all a rough estimate, hence the range being +150% lol

Last edited:

No because you have obviously never played the game and you base the quality of the Game on how many people are playing it.

That is not an opinion, that’s a stupid hot take.

Jadsey

It’s always nice when the biggest idiot on the internet put a massive sign over their head saying:

‘Look at me. I’m a tremendous cretin who knows nothing about video games.’

Good work OP.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If OP hates the response to Hades he would have absolutely hated the year Undertale came out. That was at least by an unknown whereas Super Giant is a top 3 indie developer. All the praise didn’t exactly come out of nowhere and there was no way this one was ever slipping under anyone’s radar.

Last edited:

Psos

Neo Member
Bastion was incredible, so I trust the devs. Also so what if it wasnt hyped when in early access? I never play early access games I assume others are the same.

Surprise - people start playing games / watching movies or shows / reading books etc after they win awards.

Not seeing the outrage here.
I don't like Bastion. It was boring for me, and the gameplay was the bizarre connection of not matching mechanics.

Blond

Banned
Because it's indie game from the creators of bastion... I never liked bastion so I dont care

same, I never got the love for any of their games their art house pieces masquerading as games but sounds like they finally made a good one so more power to them I guess.

iorek21

Maybe Hades winning over Doom Eternal was too much, but it’s still an amazing game.

If not for awards, most indie games would be left for dead in trash cans. Undertale and Hollow Knight would probably be on a limbo if not for media hype.

whattheduck

Banned
I've played like 5 hours of it and thought it was alright, but didn't grip me. So for me it does seem a little overrated, but OP's thing here seems trollish...

Blond

Banned
I don't like Bastion. It was boring for me, and the gameplay was the bizarre connection of not matching mechanics.
People liked the reactive narrative but I couldn’t get into it. Like cool the narrator said “and the kid just rages for a while” because you smashed some boxes. As if they’re the first developer to ever think of that.

You should understand that game journos use different criteria for indie games compared to AAA ones. The bar is much much...much lower. And in your annual game awards, you kinda have to include at least one indie game (wasn’t Disco Elysium big “hit” last year). I played Bastion and it was...ok, for an indie game. More like meh but whatever. I generally don’t trust indies also, believe 90% are trash but then you stumble upon something like SOMA and you’re floored.

I feel similarly with Nintendo games. Like, yeah, they’re usually awesome, with one condition - if you’re a kid. Younger kid, before you get into that CoD and Fortnite phase.

If you want games that are just that, awesome, without conditions, go with Sony, go with Rockstar, Capcom, SE, maybe Bethesda etc.

Starfield

When some accuses you of being a moron you should't answer with insults like that man, it kinda gives the reason to the bunny-eared pal.

Why don't you tell us your experience with the game? Why do you don't like it?
why is "bunny-eared anime girl avatar" an insult now lol its the truth

Last edited:
Objectively dumb opinions exist. You're shitting on a game you apparently haven't even played simply because... it's getting great reviews on Steam and some people you don't like gave it a bunch of awards? Nothing in your post touches on the game itself. All of it is about how other people are wrong for liking it. That's dumb.

Top Bottom