• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

they've played it and they love it. I don't really see anything fake about it. I watch Maximilian Dood reluctantly play it... then fall in love with it.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I literally heard about HADES from the Game Awards and all the GOTY nominations. And I consider myself very well aware of all the games that comes out (probably more aware than I should be). I'm guessing the media made a huge hype about it because the game is relatively okay and features that sexualized male protagonist. Sexualization is totally fine when it's aimed at closet fujiyoshi, we all know that :p

Apparently it's made by the same people behind Bastion and Transistor? Played both and found them to be very shallow games, typical indies. Don't bother and let that stinky indie die :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

vpance

What's funny is I do vaguely empathize with OP. When I heard Hades won so many awards I went "What? What game is that?" and then promptly just went back to ignoring everything. But I did feel it was kinda weird that he likes of Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7:RE, among many other amazing games this year, were seen as 'peers' or 'lesser' to this one title.

Same. It's in a genre I could never consider putting against bigger titles. Feel the same about fighting games. Just ain't my thing I guess.

Bragr

Banned
giphy.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So you're purposefully trolling? That sounds like a good idea. Hope that works out well and the mods appreciate it. Keep it up.
You win garbage thread of the year. Congrats.

Fake hype? WTF are you on about? To what end? What stupid motivation have you concocted in your head?

Hades was a great game, from a studio with a great track-record. It's not my GOTY or anything, but I enjoyed it a lot and could totally understand someone feeling that strongly about it.

Get over yourself. People can like things you don't like (or things you assume you don't like, since I doubt you ever played the game, and if you did you went in TRYING to not like it).
yelling-at-computer-630x350.jpg

Kind of a Supergiant Games staple, no?
Ah I did't know this. Hades was their first game I'd played.

I did play in early access, so I'll have to check it out again to see what the game is like now. I don't mind characters thinking out loud or reacting to what's happening during gameplay, but a frequency slider would be nice to have.

bender

What time is it?
Ah I did't know this. Hades was their first game I'd played.

I did play in early access, so I'll have to check it out again to see what the game is like now. I don't mind characters thinking out loud or reacting to what's happening during gameplay, but a frequency slider would be nice to have.

Bastion's narrator was one of the hallmarks of the game. I'm not sure about Transistor or Pyre.

Celine

Hades ranking on the monthly best selling games on the Switch eshop chart for Europe.

September 2020: 5th
October 2020: 1st
November 2020: 3rd
December 2020: not yet available but Hades is sure to rank very high.

Game was a hit from the very beginning.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Was gonna buy it this week because it’s hype got my attention. Looking at gameplay videos almost guarantees I’ll love it.

Imagine being this salty over a legitimately amazing game that nails both gameplay and narrative without sacrificing either.

Out of nowhere because you live under a rock.

Bastion and Transistor were fucking fantastic and I'm excited for Hades.

OP is bad and should feel bad.

With an OP like that I can only imagine you think The Last of Us Part 2 is a good game. Which means you have terrible taste.

What if I think it is and I love all of Supergiant's games?

Last edited:

Hugare

"But no one is playing it!"

Is the quality of a game based on popularity?

Are you 12 or something?

This is a rogue like 2d indie game. And you wonder why its not popular?

Judge the game for its qualities, for fucks sake. Seems like you havent even played, hence the shallow criticism.

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
Say what? Did you even play this game, it's great! How are you determining that this is somehow about external media and not about the quality of the game?

Serianox

Has to be one of the worse takes I've seen in a while. Then again i tend to ignore console wars threads so there might be worse out there. Saying it's liked because of some fake media hype literally shows you don't know shit about it.

Velius

Banned
Imagine being this salty over a legitimately amazing game that nails both gameplay and narrative without sacrificing either.

Out of nowhere because you live under a rock.
I bought it, I guess I just don't get it.

I am NOT against this game, I just don't really enjoy it. Can you make a case for it? Get me hyped for it

ClosBSAS

ya, just like rdr2 its very very overrated, i dont see the appeal. played 2 hours then refunded it cause it was not grabbing me one bit, but to each their own. i consider cyberpunk 2077 the best game of the year by fat bar none.

Techies

It's a good game, not something I'd spend weeks on, but for a few days of entertainment it hits the spot. I could see how it would appeal to DOTA2/Diablo players.

Last edited:
People of the gaming world.

Since this years video game awards and its nominations for Game of The Year alot of people -myself included- just had one single question: What the fuck is this game and why was it nominated for GOTY???

Also why the fuck did it win even TWO awards at the game awards.

I know alot of people don't give a flying fuck about awards or game awards in general, but its saying something about the current state of the gaming industry. Its becoming more and more like movies. Influenced from real world events and political agenda bullshit. And here we go, theres a game nobody gave a flying fuck about but suddenly it is literally FORCED and shoved into our faces.

So lets take a look at this crappy game:

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

came out on sept 17, 2020 but already released in Early Access in Dec. of 2019.

!!!!!OVERHELMINGLY POSITIVE!!!!!

wow. much hype. very swell

ok?

well the reviews from people who played are are total bs. "pet the dog pet the dog pet the dog 10/10" what a fucking horse crap.

Ok, then lets take a look at the stats, everyone likes stats right?

jp6U1kk.png

So what this tells us is basically nobody gave a fuck about this game up until the time it released and even when it released it wasnt that hot. Only when it got nominated for goty...literally out of nowhere, out of Keighleys ass or idk

and already it is losing players everyday.
The game that won two awards at the game awards including BEST ACTION GAME
I’ll be real I have no idea what this game is either.

EDIT: but I am confused why this actually bothers you

EDIT #2: what is a rogue like?

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Bastion and Transistor were fucking fantastic and I'm excited for Hades.

OP is bad and should feel bad.

What if I think it is and I love all of Supergiant's games?
Then you are an Alien Masochist that likes having Abby and her politics shoved down your throat. She retroactively ruined The Last of Us Part 1 for me...

HE1NZ

Banned
Every year there is a token indie game that journos choose to praise. Nobody played it, but it made every list. Games like Celeste, Hades. Agree with the OP. This shit is too transparent.

Every year there is a token indie game that journos choose to praise. Nobody played it, but it made every list. Games like Celeste, Hades. Agree with the OP. This shit is too transparent.

Look I get the token indie thing (it happens in cinema too), but Supergiant isn't "token indie" anything. They're absolutely phenomenal devs. This is outright slander.

I'm not saying Hades isn't worthy, but it does strike me as bizarre how some games get "the Treatment" and others get completely ignored.

Factorio also came out of Early Access this year, and is basically dead tied with Hades when it comes to # and percent positive of Steam reviews.

Hades is the #2 best rated game of all time, while Factorio is #3.

Yet Hades is getting multiple nods in several categories, while Factorio is getting practically nothing.

It really does feel like there's a "game" behind the scenes that only some teams get to play.

I kind of thought the same. I bought it though a few days ago and realised how wrong i was. Its a great game if you're into that rogue lite stuff. Its also very obviously had a lot of love put into it and its crafted very well. Its definitely one of the best games of the year, but honestly thats not saying a lot. Mainstream video games have been fairly stagnant in recent years in terms of new things to get excited about. So if a bunch of journos want to gush over something smaller i dont really have an issue.
Wasn’t this actually an awesome year for games? I’ve played more video games this year than maybe ever - Last of Us 2, Tsushima, cyberpunk, doom eternal, half life Alyx, animal crossing, final fantasy, demons souls etc

Guilty_AI

I’ll be real I have no idea what this game is either.
A game made by a company dead set on making you orgasm with voice acting only

EDIT: but I am confused why this actually bothers you
Because OP drinks semen instead of milk in the mornings

EDIT #2: what is a rogue like?
A genre where you have randomly generated levels that you need to complete without dying. If you die you have to start from the beginning, with newly generated levels.

A game made by a company dead set on making you orgasm with voice acting only

Because OP drinks semen instead of milk in the mornings

A genre where you have randomly generated levels that you need to complete without dying. If you die you have to start from the beginning, with newly generated levels.
Thorough response and appreciated

EDIT: that actually sounds really cool (re: rogue likes) I don’t think I’ve played a game like that

Last edited:

GreenAlien

This is a stealth marketing thread and you all fell for it. Anyway, I'm off playing my newly bought game.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I havent really looked at it until this thread, so thanks?

'from the creators of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre.'

Dont really care about awards its been nominated for or given, but I like those 3 games, so I might give this a closer look.
This is a stealth marketing thread and you all fell for it. Anyway, I'm off playing my newly bought game.
Dammit!!! The first line in my post.....lol

Last edited:
Look I get the token indie thing (it happens in cinema too), but Supergiant isn't "token indie" anything. They're absolutely phenomenal devs. This is outright slander.
Speaking on the film industry - indie films aren’t usually the “token” films - but are usually just way better than most high budget stuff due to being a better representation of the art and not being constrained by producers who only care about money. There’s really no incentive for suits to conspire to give an indie film an award - real Oscar bait movies are mostly Biopics. There are a lot of truly great indie films that should get more exposure not less.

Top Bottom