• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

bender

What time is it?
This is a stealth marketing thread and you all fell for it. Anyway, I'm off playing my newly bought game.
2074213-ninjagaidenblack_vr_xb1_092005.jpg

The game is great!!!!!
What the f are you going on about.
You didn't even play it. Let me guess its not cod/halo/forza/gears so must suck?

Its a roguelike and an amazing action rpg at that with incredible depth. It's addicting and the overwhelming positive is for real. You think its a conspiracy? Lololol.

i have to admit i was puzzled when i kept hearing about this game and it turned out to be a isometric roguelike i was like.... uh.... really? huh...
Some people like stuff you don't like. Some old heads like me loooooove roguelikes. Add on complex combat and a game system that makes you want to keep playing (ala civ but for an action game) and its amazing. Tons of weapon combinations and styles with 100s of different modifiers that change the way the weapons work from range to strength, width bounce, return throw, multiple blasts, etc..

Step out side the halo/forza/gear/COD games for a second and give something new a try. You wont' regret it.

Salvatron

It's one of the best action roguelikes out there, OP. I would say it's the standard bearer for future action roguelikes in terms of quality of mechanics and presentation. In league with the greats such as Enter the Gungeon, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, ISAAC, etc.

ethomaz

Banned
Coincidence.

All my Brasilian gamer friends on WhatApps Group are in love with Hades... they are all playing and streaming on our Discord group.

Rippa

so have you played it?

doesn't sound it like it.... "games like these seem..." and "it won't..."

hmm.

tenor.gif

I don’t need to play anything that isn’t interesting to me. Just watching my cousin play this on his gaming laptop is enough for me to say....

Meh.

These “rogue-like” games are pure shovelware to me. It ain’t my cup of tea and guess what, that’s totally okay.

Mexen

I read OP twice to make sure it was real.

Hado, I hope you are doing okay. Please stay safe. As we enter 2021, I hope gaming remains something you're passionate about but more importantly enjoy.

Hades is a fun, well made game that appealed to many this year. Genre fans and newcomers alike. I hope you give it a go if you haven't and that you'll like it or at least see why some of us do.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Two things about your post concern me:
1) Stop being a cannibal and don't eat OP
2) Get tested for COVID as not being able to taste things is one of the symptoms
Made me smirk.
👍
Dad jokes are the best

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I am kinda with the OP with this. this game is way overhyped and to be honest for no reason. It's just another good indie game but really nothing more.

yet it's getting pushed our throat like it's the second coming. I wonder why.

A genre where you have randomly generated levels that you need to complete without dying. If you die you have to start from the beginning, with newly generated levels.
That's one of my main problems even if the levels are randomly generated, they all feel the same every time. Enemy variety is laking, and you basically end up fighting the same 4 bosses every time. Game gets boring fast, especially when you learn which powers are actually useful and which are shite.

God bless the OP for not falling for this hipster bullshit

It's like when snobby music critics pretend some shitty indie band wrote the best album ever. Pretending it's good to make it look like they have super refined taste the common plebs just don't understand

Zog

Banned
I'm a moron for not having the same opinion as appearantly everyone else in this thread?

Well must be true then if that's coming from a bunny-eared anime girl avatar
People love to hype games up and if you aren't as excited as they are, the name calling begins.

Mobilemofo

@op. Turn off your pc, lay on your bed. And relax..think of pleasent things, such as sliced ham, android updates, new likes on a picture you posted a year ago. Maybe invest in some slippers..make a hot coco drink, and a deep bath..

Guilty_AI

That's one of my main problems even if the levels are randomly generated, they all feel the same every time. Enemy variety is laking, and you basically end up fighting the same 4 bosses every time. Game gets boring fast, especially when you learn which powers are actually useful and which are shite.
Isn't learning about the game and getting better at it what people like about roguelikes?

carlosrox

Banned
I definitely understand the sentiment that some games get a ton of hype out of nowhere and suddenly a buncha people jump on the bandwagon.

Found Bastion overrated as fuck but I am a bit more interested in Hades due to the setting.

Last edited:

tassletine

I played Bastion. It was okay. I didn't finish it.

I started played Hades yesterday and so far it has pretty much perfect game design.

It's constantly interesting, either on a gameplay or story level, and the game and gameplay wrap around and adapt to you, constantly showing you new things. It's tough but you always progress, and it's very addictive.
It's also well acted, witty and the graphics and soundtrack are great. This is definitely a classic, so far at least. It's got a kind of Sin and Punishment feel if that makes sense, an insane level of polish and constant action.
It's very, very good and whilst it might not be to everyone's taste, you'd have to be trying pretty hard not to be impressed on some level.

Spokker

It's one of those games that I recognize but register away in my long term memory and try it out when it's on sale or on Gamepass or whatever.

Honestly, Gamepass has made me cautious about buying games. I don't buy Obra Dinn because I assume it's going to be on Gamepass one day so it's also sitting in the back of my mine with Hades.

Without Gamepass I would have bought both already. However, it looks like they haven't released an Xbox version of their games since Bastion.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I bought the game for less than 10$ on Epic store when it was on early access and I never got the hype.

They make you restart the game from the beginning every time you die. I hate that. At least if there was some kind of checkpoint or travel system I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting my time.

I'm a big souls fan and I never feel like I'm wasting my time playing those.

In fact, I'm playing Demons Souls remake on PS5 and I would play it 24/7 if I could. Last night I was dreaming of my character tendency and couldn't sleep lol

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's one of those games that I recognize but register away in my long term memory and try it out when it's on sale or on Gamepass or whatever.

Honestly, Gamepass has made me cautious about buying games. I don't buy Obra Dinn because I assume it's going to be on Gamepass one day so it's also sitting in the back of my mine with Hades.

Without Gamepass I would have bought both already.
I feel like Hades will be a PS exclusive when it comes to console. Seems like their type of game.

kingwingin

Blind bought bastion and fell in love. Bought transistor and really enjoyed what I played but there is a save issue when playing on ps5.

When my switch comes in ill for sure pick this up. The narration these guys put in is phenominal

Dommel

I bought it two days ago because of the sale.

It's all I play and think about since then, it's THAT good.

Why the hate bro, not cool.

Starfield

I didn't heard about Hades neither, and when I watched the gameplay videos... I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Not only it's a fucking roguelike game, but is also cringe and ugly as sin.

IcyGlitteringBasil-size_restricted.gif

redimensionar2.php
No man, according to this thread its GOTY contender and OP needs to get himself checked! What a moron!

edbrat

How disappointing to see such a thread on a games message board, Hades is more than a worthy contender for goty and a deserved winner in many cases. The control system, the feel of combat, the variety in playstyle, the long learning curve but also how it respects your time nonetheless are all brilliantly done. The writing is fantastic and plays with the tropes of greek mythology very well. If you enjoy rogue lites, deep and varied combat systems and really good writing then you really should give this a go. OP go and find someone to give you a cuddle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a legitimately excellent game that must be played, but at the same time, it's also an indie darling and landed well with the progressive/"WE LOVE LGBT+ AND WANT TO SIGNAL OUR VIRTUE!!!" crowd (so all of the bearded and blue-haired San Francisco "journalists") which really pushed it to gain insane levels of exposure.

Still, it's an awesome game and deserves almost all of the praise it gets, so I don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
To be fair my local Domino’s has overwhelmingly positive reviews in excess of 15k. Not knocking this game, but just because a bunch of people like it does not make it good. It’s just a data point. We all have different tastes and (should be) aware that the internet can easily become a megaphone in an echo chamber.
Yes, but it has overwhelming critical AND consumer support. If Tony Bourdain and Alan Richman started hawking Domino's, you might have a comparison there.

I feel that game awards shows and nominations are generally rigged and are given to the games that they want to push or expose. I never played Hades, so I can’t comment on it or say it didn’t deserve it’s praise, but I think it looks cool actually.

Top Bottom