• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel that game awards shows and nominations are generally rigged and are given to the games that they want to push or expose. I never played Hades, so I can’t comment on it or say it didn’t deserve it’s praise, but I think it looks cool actually.
Awards shows generally are for AAA games and indie games, meanwhile AA games gets brushed aside.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The game should have SHORTCUTS, if you like doing it all in ONE RUN then GREAT! Here's a cookie, nobody FORCES the shortcuts on you.

MANY Rogue Lites figure this system out, and if you want to take a shortcut you get a bit shafted, but if you take one, then you're already OK with that.

GIT GUD? I'm good enough at it, I just hate the first few fucking worlds wasting my time.

The 2nd world turns almost into a shitty bullet hell with all the enemies and their shitty projectiles.

TL;DR: CHOICE IS GOOD, there are too many fanbois of this game.

Last edited:
People of the gaming world.

Since this years video game awards and its nominations for Game of The Year alot of people -myself included- just had one single question: What the fuck is this game and why was it nominated for GOTY???

Also why the fuck did it win even TWO awards at the game awards.

I know alot of people don't give a flying fuck about awards or game awards in general, but its saying something about the current state of the gaming industry. Its becoming more and more like movies. Influenced from real world events and political agenda bullshit. And here we go, theres a game nobody gave a flying fuck about but suddenly it is literally FORCED and shoved into our faces.

So lets take a look at this crappy game:

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

came out on sept 17, 2020 but already released in Early Access in Dec. of 2019.

!!!!!OVERHELMINGLY POSITIVE!!!!!

wow. much hype. very swell

ok?

well the reviews from people who played are are total bs. "pet the dog pet the dog pet the dog 10/10" what a fucking horse crap.

Ok, then lets take a look at the stats, everyone likes stats right?

jp6U1kk.png

So what this tells us is basically nobody gave a fuck about this game up until the time it released and even when it released it wasnt that hot. Only when it got nominated for goty...literally out of nowhere, out of Keighleys ass or idk

and already it is losing players everyday.
The game that won two awards at the game awards including BEST ACTION GAME
I can't talk shit about a game I know almost nothing about.

But just looking at the game, I'm wondering what the big deal is about it?

I don't care a lot for the arr style and sort of burnt on all these faux 8-bit pixelart crap.

BUT I should not judge a book by its cover. I should look into the game and see what the fuss ia about. Who knows, maybe I would like it. It's on GOG as well.

Last edited:

Enzo88

True, but they are more of a joke for not nominating even more interesting indie games that come out, instead choosing mainstream or streamer crap.
Like, not even a single mention of Factorio for this year?
To mention another one, was Spiritfarer even nominated for anything?
I'd pick it over some of the bigger games that were and won but feel like the same old game that I already played 10000 times.

People that only stick to triple A、are missing out big time.

Shkyboy924

Neo Member
calm down chill out GIF

On a side note, I haven't actually played Hades, but due to your extreme opinion and laughable thread I'm gonna give it a go :messenger_beaming:.
If it's also really good, I'm going to come back on to this thread and tell you just how possibly good it my well be.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Wow. Few people are playing it. So it must be bad. Hence, FIFA is GOTY from 2001 until now. Or CoD. Or this year’s Assasins. What non derivative great products are those. Millions of costumers can’t be wrong. Can they? And Windows. Fantastic OS, the most used one. A great piece of software. Or Android. Awesome to be in the Advertising Company ecosystem. And didn’t Trump won an election? Surely was the best choice. As with Brexit. Just watch how the British pound has skyrocketed.

Man, now I no longer hope for a PS5 version of a game that so few people know. I mean, who is this Greg Kasavin anyways?
GOAT.

Last edited:

Korranator

"What the fuck is HaDEs?"

Simply,

Hades is hell.

Not sure why the media would hype up hell. But They have kinda had their head up their asses lately. Too much Twitter or some BS.

Any other stupid questions OP?

Heartkiller

I know you're probably just a troll but I'll still point out that your "analysis" is absolutely terrible.

I've been hyped to play Hades since it was announced but I wasn't interested in an early access version of the game. I waited until the game was complete to buy it. I'm sure plenty of people did the same thing. And the recent GOTY nominations had nothing to do with the hype surrounding this game. It got glowing reviews from critics and players alike and it was pretty much an instant hit on the Switch. It recieved award nominations because it is a fantastic game. If more people decided to pick the game up because of those nominations... good. This isn't some random indie studio's first game. Supergiant has been around for a long time and all of their games have been fantastic. So, trolling or not, get the fuck outta here with this disrespectful garbage.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's a fun vidyagame, why so fucking serious? Go do something productive or play a game you actually like and ignore awards. You care too much about bullshit.

People of the gaming world.

Since this years video game awards and its nominations for Game of The Year alot of people -myself included- just had one single question: What the fuck is this game and why was it nominated for GOTY???

Also why the fuck did it win even TWO awards at the game awards.

I know alot of people don't give a flying fuck about awards or game awards in general, but its saying something about the current state of the gaming industry. Its becoming more and more like movies. Influenced from real world events and political agenda bullshit. And here we go, theres a game nobody gave a flying fuck about but suddenly it is literally FORCED and shoved into our faces.

So lets take a look at this crappy game:

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

came out on sept 17, 2020 but already released in Early Access in Dec. of 2019.

!!!!!OVERHELMINGLY POSITIVE!!!!!

wow. much hype. very swell

ok?

well the reviews from people who played are are total bs. "pet the dog pet the dog pet the dog 10/10" what a fucking horse crap.

Ok, then lets take a look at the stats, everyone likes stats right?

jp6U1kk.png

So what this tells us is basically nobody gave a fuck about this game up until the time it released and even when it released it wasnt that hot. Only when it got nominated for goty...literally out of nowhere, out of Keighleys ass or idk

and already it is losing players everyday.
The game that won two awards at the game awards including BEST ACTION GAME
Know what. I never played this game but it doesn't matter. I friggin love this post. I can tell that you are on to something and you're the same kind of easily pissed off person that I am. I will be reading all of your threads from now on. You have a fan now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's the perfect expression of a genre. It happens to be the perfect expression of a genre I don't particularly like - roguelikes. But the game is so beloved because it manages to narratively, and mechanically nail the best qualities of the genre we've ever seen in a way that no one expected.

Know what roguelikes are to me? They are hell. You play the same level over and over, and it sucks. It's lazy devs. It's repetitive and frustrating. You never earn progression. Your abilities and your chances for success are not even 100% based on skill, since you're at the mercy of random rolls at every stage of the game and I hate it.

If you were assigned the task of writing a story that actually takes place in a roguelike, the most gamey of all game genres - how would you possibly do it? Take the question seriously. Would you create a game about robots being sent out to die? Disposable soldiers? Trapped in a MMO like Tron? Hades answers this question by setting the game in HELL. Remember when I said I hated roguelikes? This game is a roguelike where you are trapped in hell. It fits.

Not only is it set in hell, but it's set in the hell of ancient Greece. The randomness and frustrating unpredictability of die rolls is represented by the colorful cast of the infamously tempermental, and volatile Greek Olympian gods. If you ever took Western Civ I, or read ancient Greek stories, you know about the pettiness, volatility, and randomness of the Greek pantheon. They are the ones who give you your powers in the game, and each power up you get is a character interaction, and a contextual representation of game mechanics and story at the same time.

1) It has some of the best dialogue writing in video games. Each sentence is savored, and well crafted, thoughtful and pleasing to listen to.
2) It has some of the best voice acting in video games. Almost every voice actor is unusually thoughtful and appealing to listen to, and would stand out as a lead in any other game.
3) The game is loaded with a shocking number of new dialogue entries and story updates - even if trivial, and feels almost bottomless when playing the game for 150 hours without a single line of dialogue repeating.

On top of that, the game is an extremely solid and satisfying action game. You will make random builds of different weapons, and different power sets for 150 hours without ever coming close to maxing out the various combinations you can craft.

And on top of that, the entire time you play - you are earning constant permanent power increases every single run, and the game balance never breaks. The goals never are fully completed, with more rewards cleverly introduced over and over and over and over.

It's the perfect roguelike, the perfect pick-up-and-play arcade action game.

And it doesn't hurt that the art design is shockingly good, with some of the best character designs in western games.

Last edited:
Have you played it OP? If not you can play Bastion from them or Transistor which are both amazing. Pyre never gelled with me. I'm looking forward to playing Hades at some point. Bit odd to dismiss a game because it's indie

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's the perfect expression of a genre. It happens to be the perfect expression of a genre I don't particularly like - roguelikes. But the game is so beloved because it manages to narratively, and mechanically nail the best qualities of the genre we've ever seen in a way that no one expected.

Know what roguelikes are to me? They are hell. You play the same level over and over, and it sucks. It's lazy devs. It's repetitive and frustrating. You never earn progression. Your abilities and your chances for success are not even 100% based on skill, since you're at the mercy of random rolls at every stage of the game and I hate it.

If you were assigned the task of writing a story that actually takes place in a roguelike, the most gamey of all game genres - how would you possibly do it? Take the question seriously. Would you create a game about robots being sent out to die? Disposable soldiers? Trapped in a MMO like Tron? Hades answers this question by setting the game in HELL. Remember when I said I hated roguelikes? This game is a roguelike where you are trapped in hell. It fits.

Not only is it set in hell, but it's set in the hell of ancient Greece. The randomness and frustrating unpredictability of die rolls is represented by the colorful cast of the infamously tempermental, and volatile Greek Olympian gods. If you ever took Western Civ I, or read ancient Greek stories, you know about the pettiness, volatility, and randomness of the Greek pantheon. They are the ones who give you your powers in the game, and each power up you get is a character interaction, and a contextual representation of game mechanics and story at the same time.

1) It has some of the best dialogue writing in video games. Each sentence is savored, and well crafted, thoughtful and pleasing to listen to.
2) It has some of the best voice acting in video games. Almost every voice actor is unusually thoughtful and appealing to listen to, and would stand out as a lead in any other game.
3) The game is loaded with a shocking number of new dialogue entries and story updates - even if trivial, and feels almost bottomless when playing the game for 150 hours without a single line of dialogue repeating.

On top of that, the game is an extremely solid and satisfying action game. You will make random builds of different weapons, and different power sets for 150 hours without ever coming close to maxing out the various combinations you can craft.

And on top of that, the entire time you play - you are earning constant permanent power increases every single run, and the game balance never breaks. The goals never are fully completed, with more rewards cleverly introduced over and over and over and over.

And it doesn't hurt that the art design is shockingly good, with some of the best character designs in western games.
This is a great assessment and review of it. There is value in perfecting a genre and it looks like Hades is a great expression of the rogue like one 👍.

THEAP99

Banned
Why r u so angry?

Hades is a highly acclaimed indie game that people are praising as the dark horse of the year

Self

Hmm, you kinda sold the game to me. I'll look into it if it's not to expansive. Thanks.

Odinnii

I beat it a couple of times. Great game, while I wouldn't put it in my top 5, I don't mind it winning if the competition is Ghost of Tsushima or garbage ass TLOU2.

perkelson

Played it.

Like it but not love it. It way to safe take on roguellike that feels empty after few decent runs because there isn't anything to system other than some minuscule upgrades. IT plays nice but i kind of don't see much difference from other stick fighters in this form. Bosses variations are nice but you still effectively have like 4-5 boss fights.

The only really great thing about it are characters but again not on some amazing level really as almost all of them are just few liners characters who either say barely anything or are comic value and most of the time they don't speak anything of value to remember.

I agree with OP. Game is way too overhyped. It is nice game but nothing special.

Last edited:

Starfield

Know what. I never played this game but it doesn't matter. I friggin love this post. I can tell that you are on to something and you're the same kind of easily pissed off person that I am. I will be reading all of your threads from now on. You have a fan now.
Thanks

Philfrag

Banned
Wasn’t this actually an awesome year for games? I’ve played more video games this year than maybe ever - Last of Us 2, Tsushima, cyberpunk, doom eternal, half life Alyx, animal crossing, final fantasy, demons souls etc
Most of those are sequels or just games with mechanics we've seen before. I haven't played Half life Alyx but from what I've heard that does seem truly new and exciting so I think you're right about that one.

You are cool if you give this game the game of the year award. If it was from Ubi it would be another generic hack n slash game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Let's be realistic:

If you haven't played the game, and are just judging it from looks and description... why would you think it was anything special?

Add to that if you weren't into Supergiant's previous games, which were also critically praised, would you feel a burning desire to try it out, just to see if the hype was justified?

Plain truth is that its a hard sell for GOTY. Just being a fun game isn't really enough!

The game should have SHORTCUTS, if you like doing it all in ONE RUN then GREAT! Here's a cookie, nobody FORCES the shortcuts on you.

MANY Rogue Lites figure this system out, and if you want to take a shortcut you get a bit shafted, but if you take one, then you're already OK with that.

GIT GUD? I'm good enough at it, I just hate the first few fucking worlds wasting my time.

The 2nd world turns almost into a shitty bullet hell with all the enemies and their shitty projectiles.

TL;DR: CHOICE IS GOOD, there are too many fanbois of this game.

I pretty much agree with this. World 2 also has the annoying lava pits that don't feel right. Game does have some great action, but it gets stale pretty quick. When I play rogue-likes I want the option to play for a ton of hours and unlock a bunch of interesting stuff like in Dead Cells, B of I, and Gungeon.

It is a good game, but It's also a rogue-like for people who don't really like rogue-likes

ethomaz

Banned
I didn't heard about Hades neither, and when I watched the gameplay videos... I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Not only it's a fucking roguelike game, but is also cringe and ugly as sin.

IcyGlitteringBasil-size_restricted.gif

redimensionar2.php
Play it.
I'm sure you will have a surprise.

Great gameplay.
Non-linear narrative that works.
Dialogues are awesome.

What do you want more in a game?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
"What the fuck is HaDEs?"

Simply,

Hades is hell.

Not sure why the media would hype up hell. But They have kinda had their head up their asses lately. Too much Twitter or some BS.

Any other stupid questions OP?
Atually Hades is the God of Hell... Hell is the hell... a place.
You do control the Hades's son (the prince of Hell) that wants to get out (free) from Hell.

Edit - Fixed.

Last edited:

PooBone

Wow, salty OP.

I'm NOT a fan of roguelikes, I think Void Bastards is the one game I stuck with and completed. But the amount of praise this game is getting reminds me a bit of Bastion. I liked Bastion, and even after buying it on two different platforms and trying to love it, I just couldn't get into Hyperscape Drifter.

Hopefully this game comes to consoles one day.

mr.dilya

Banned
What sets this game apart is the writing...it’s really good.

The last game like this that was hyped was dead cells, which I don’t like for whatever reason.

But yeah it is overhyped. There is a movement in games media to push indie titles ever since hollowknight. It is what it is, but not every indie game is going to be GOAT status like hollowknight so they really need to chill.

ethomaz

Banned
It just won the Edge’s Revolution Award.
To understand how it chances the typical rogue like formula.

What sets this game apart is the writing...it’s really good.

The last game like this that was hyped was dead cells, which I don’t like for whatever reason.

But yeah it is overhyped. There is a movement in games media to push indie titles ever since hollowknight. It is what it is, but not every indie game is going to be GOAT status like hollowknight so they really need to chill.
It is better than Hollowknight imo.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
since Starfield Starfield convinced me to buy it i've played quite a bit. usually i am not into rogue like games which is why i was hesitant about getting it but damn it's so good. been taking a break from playing Cyberpunk for this. no regrets. the developers really got something special here!

thanks again Starfield Starfield :messenger_heart:
It is really not your typical rogue like game.
It innovates in a lot of aspects.

Who doesn’t play it thinks it is another roguelike 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom