• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with shit Square ports on PS4 and music issues?

Seriously

-Final Fantasy X-2 HD
-Final Fantasy VII
-and now Final Fantasy IX

All three of these games on PS4 have the issue of musical tracks restarting after every battle encounter. Meaning the player would not get to experience many great and magical musical tracks, as he or she would be bugged out of listening more than their first ten or fifteen seconds at most.

I don't understand this bullshit.

-Final Fantasy X-2 HD is a port of the PS3 remaster of the game. That version did not have any bugs whatsoever. Yet its PS4 release did. So far, this is the only game that Square patched to solve the bug.

-Final Fantasy VII PS4 is a port of the rereleased PC version on Steam. That version, as far as I know, also did not have any bug tied to its music. Yet, the PS4 port does. On top of having other weird glitches tied to the music, such as incorrect tracks playing during certain scenes.

-Final Fantasy IX PS4 was just released today. It is a port of the Steam version released last year. The game had issues when it released, but music tracks restarting after battle encounters apparently wasn't amongst them.

What is it about the PS4 that makes this happen? Three times now. Three. I don't really believe in coïncidences. I bet all of these bugs are tied to the same particularity about programming games for PS4, and the Square devs are too fucking lazy to code around it.

And this is on top of the weird RNG bug that FFX HD PS4 had, which, again, its original PS3 release did not.

Square: I didn't buy FFVII on PS4 because of this issue, and I will not buy IX PS4 either.

Get your shit together.

tei15

jesus f christ, just turn off random encounters and listen to the music as much as you want! in ffx they patched it 'cause there is no "no encounters" option, but why the hell bother with 7&9 when players can fix it by pressing one button?

jesus f christ, just turn off random encounters and listen to the music as much as you want! in ffx they patched it 'cause there is no "no encounters" option, but why the hell bother with 7&9 when players can fix it by pressing one button?

What if I want random encounters and music?

why am I not surprised someone is defending bugs

mrmickfran

Then how are you supposed to level up without the encounters?

It shouldn't have this issue considering the original was just fine 17 years ago.
Wow that sucks

Didn't know ffx hd remaster suffered that too ☹️
That one is patched thankfully.

Massaki

Neo Member
I can honestly say I've never noticed this until this thread lol, playing through FF7 I thought it had always done that.

Yeah it sucks because you will never hear the entire track for some areas.

Tbh these games are so aged now that the visuals, story and music is the main reason I'd ever consider revisiting. So it's a big problem.

Recall

That isn't fixing anything, that's putting your head in the sand and ignoring the issue all together. That's your way with dealing with it, not THE solution.

randomscribbles

Neo Member

Exactly. Cash grab ports are about companies making free money, not about companies having to do actual work to give fans definitive versions of classic games. Get your priorities straight, GAF!

entremet

Then how are you supposed to level up without the encounters?

It shouldn't have this issue considering the original was just fine 17 years ago.

That one is patched thankfully.

There's a level slider if I recall. It's the PC version on PS4 basically. The one from last year with the cheats.

Big Nikus

lmao are you serious ??

Oh shit, I've just remembered that annoying FFVII issue where they would cue up the wrong track. Like the mako reactor theme when they reveal Cloud's identity. The PC version has it as well.

Such a cock-up that ruins a great scene.

Arkeband

Banned
Exactly. Cash grab ports are about companies making free money, not about companies having to do actual work to give fans definitive versions of classic games. Get your priorities straight, GAF!

Seriously, think of the poor struggling indie dev Square Enix, we should just be thankful this exists!

Ravelle

I believe it's because when remastering games they don't touch the audio and just keep using the old stuff and it gets messed up along the way, it might be not be 100% compatible with newer systems. With some remasters the audio is worse than the original.

Keym

This is what happens when SE hires the cheapest company they can find for their remasters:

1450731003026.jpg

Now, who do I have to bother to get VII fixed? That's all I care about right now.

Tratorn

I was going to buy it when I get home but now I'll wait and see if they fix that issue. Thanks for the thread. SE is disappointing once again.

Wow.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thanks for the PSA, I'm happy with the Steam version. No need to put money on broken PS4 ports.

I'm just amazed that XII turned out as well as it did. Then again, you can't have a music bug with random encounters if you don't have any random encounters.

playXray

HOLY FUCK FFIX IS OUT ON PS4 TODAY?!?!

I don't even know how I missed this, thanks OP!

This is serious, I honestly had no idea.

Keym

Oh and these music bugs are not a PS4-specific issue. Steam's version of 7 had the same problem, but got patched.

It's ridiculous that they're so reluctant to provide post-launch support, despite their premium prices and half-assed launches. This is a problem with their PC ports as well - Final Fantasy VII still doesn't have the trainer additions that the PS4 version got.

sotojuan

These ports are cash grabs. They are done by cheap companies and have little to no support because they don't need to - plenty of people will buy them regardless.

What sucks is that, outside of modded Steam versions, we'll never have a "definitive" remaster of PSOne FF games. They always make something worse with each release.

nelo_inc

Ridiculous that they release this games with such flaws, don't intend on buying IX until it's solved.

Hopefully Square will adress the issues, like they did with Final Fantasy X-2 HD.

Durante

What is it about the PS4 that makes this happen? Three times now. Three. I don't really believe in coïncidences. I bet all of these bugs are tied to the same particularity about programming games for PS4, and the Square devs are too fucking lazy to code around it.
One thing I can tell you is that audio programming is often significantly different between PC versions and console versions of games, and it is also (due to the lower total code volume) often not as well modularized as e.g. graphics. It might be that the audio backend for these broke the "continue music at timestamp X" functionality when ported to PS4, and that they have reused that ever since.

sotojuan

Ridiculous that they release this games with such flaws, don't intend on buying IX until it's solved.

Hopefully Square will adress the issues, like they did with Final Fantasy X-2 HD.
Just buy it on Steam and patch it. No way Square Enix will fix this.

nivorae

they won't, square gets cheap companies to do it for them but do not buy post-release support. Look at what NieR:Automata on PC is, Platinum probably would love to resolve the issues but nobody would be able to do it for free.

muteki

The impression I get with these re-releases is they are fire-and-forget out the door and will only have more resources dedicated if there is some system-breaking bug. That and there is no champion high enough in the chain that cares enough about it to get it changed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I didn't expect this... lol.

are you fucking serious?! this game has the music loop bug?

FFX HD AND X2 HD had it (patched)
FF7 ps4 had it (they are aware but dont patch it). I've talked with a square enix support and the team says they are aware of the issue. It's been over a year so that fix ain't coming.

now this??

well FUCK YOU square. Tired of your low quality ports.

How does this even happen? I'm super pissed. Will not be buying one of my favourite FF games.

This is what happens when SE hires the cheapest company they can find for their remasters:

1450731003026.jpg

Now, who do I have to bother to get VII fixed? That's all I care about right now.

To be fair that isn't the final version of the game. The final version had MUCH BETTER character models than this early screen you're showing.. However, still paled in comparison to the original PS2 ones.

Top Bottom