• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is wrong with Dbz: Kakarot?

I mean, fuck, this game has the most stupid difficulty balance ever

It's stupidly hard and cheating or it's me?

I'm winning, then the enemy boss spams like 5-6 supermoves consecutively, toggles me all my health and wins? Like, wtf

Worst 3d Dbz game ever, it's near unplayable, Don't know what the hell they were thinking, honestly

I just beat Android 20, who obviously started spamming energy absorbing moves near the end of the fight, recovering like two health bars, now 18, who spams unavoidable energy blasts near the end of the fights, and instakills me? Or spamming stunning moves and kicks the hell out of me while I can't move?

Seriously, lol, it's terrible, Even worse, the game goes from a ridiculously easy fight to an impossible one from chapter to chapter with no sense at all

Last edited:

Aldynes

They want you to grind XP by fighting color palette swap random background character in the anime and do meaningless tasks and fetch quests to fan service cameo characters, for when you'll fight iconic DBZ battles you feel the combat system "refreshing" opposed to "jank as fuck"

LordOfChaos

It was the stupid fetch quests with unclear goals or markers that shook me out. Maybe I like the idea of Dragon Ball games more than a Dragon Ball game has ever executed.

Fbh

I didn't find it very hard to be honest. The big boss fights were about the closest this game had to a highlight and, just like the show, they peaked at Frieza.

Overall it was really disappointing. Was hoping for a proper DBZ RPG but it was more like yet another basic 3D fighter but with some added fetch quests and fighting the same 3 basic enemies (+ color swaps) over and over again.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Grind and it's not difficult at all.

Even the DLC boss battles, if you grind above level 100 are easy.

And they make grinding easy for you, it's not a long ass chore so...

Nok Su Kow

Grind and spam the rapid energy blast attacks, literally the only way I could find to make it half way playable

cireza

Banned
DBZ games have been shit ever since they moved to flying 3D gameplay. Generic fighters, they all play the same, no sense of impact, camera is stupid/lost, you can't see shit etc...

FighterZ also sucks by the way. Stupid MvsC2 clone, gameplay pretty much summarized by "whoever manages to connect with a crouching weak hit can repeat whatever 2 hours long combo he knows". Game certainly is pretty, but gameplay is weak. Single player content is garbage, as well as the AI.

We have to go back to Burst Limit and Budokai to actually have some decent, fun DBZ games. Hyper Dimension is still king. Wake me up when something good happens with this series.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I expected it to be trash knowing it’s an anime first remember it’s an anime and suddenly it’s a video game? Fighter Z won the DBS game battle.
dragon ball z GIF

Saber

Gold Member
It hasn't being much of good DB games lately. This one I completelly skip for lack of interest and FighterZ I dropped quickly because of how dumbfy the controls are(basically press one button 4 times for a combo and again for a special move).

Seriously, I miss Dragonball Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Yamisan

I've played through it on pc and got the platinum on ps4. I don't understand how someone can find this game hard at all, you don't even need to grind levels to beat the main story. The story missions level the characters you need more than enough for the next fight.

Codes 208

Grind and it's not difficult at all.

Even the DLC boss battles, if you grind above level 100 are easy.

And they make grinding easy for you, it's not a long ass chore so...
In the early game it is. You cant bash through enemies until you’re about five levels higher than the enemies and in the Saiyan saga and up that seems to take ages (unless they’ve updated that QoL since launch)

Last edited:

Fbh

Btw, what happened to Cyberconnect?

They seemed to have a bright future with their early Naruto games on ps2 and 3, but they've mostly been sucking for the last 10 years.
The newer naruto games failed to innovate or improve the formula and were mostly clunky boss fights and QTE's, they got fired from FF7 Remake (thank god), that JOJO game was pretty bad, DBZ was really underwhelming, etc.

Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 was their last solid game. Amazing visuals, fun gameplay with notorious improvements over the first one and a pretty good story mode for a fighter.
And now what we get from them is some clunky and repetitive DBZ "RPG" that looks like some fan made "DBZ in Unreal" project.

Last edited:
It's really not that hard, hate to be one of those guys, but you really just have to 'Git Gud'.

You can dodge most attacks, the CPU throws at you if well timed.

Within the main storyline I don't even think I had to grind to beat it. Have you set up your community well enough? Eaten some meals before battle?

Not really hard in the pure sense of term, but unbalanced

I fight an enemy, even a boss and I ko him in under a minute, then immediately after I fight one who's even weaker story wise and bam, a near impossible, cheated fight lol

These random bounces are the main problem imho, and made me drop the game for the third time

It goes from 1 to 7 to 8 to 3 to 9-10 difficulty from fight to fight
Was really this hard to add a difficulty scale and be consistent all the game long?
Never experienced such a broken scaling, going with my memory, absurd they didn't fix it yet, probably never will at this point

I'm sad 'cause even if it's far from being the best DB game - actually one of the worst overall imo - it was giving me enough fun to go on, but rapidly became frustrating

And yes, I grinded a little, powered up my characters with foods and such, but...

Kholinar

Banned
FighterZ also sucks by the way. Stupid MvsC2 clone, gameplay pretty much summarized by "whoever manages to connect with a crouching weak hit can repeat whatever 2 hours long combo he knows". Game certainly is pretty, but gameplay is weak.
So... FighterZ sucks because you're getting opened up by 2Ls and getting comboed? Sorry man, you're just trash. Don't get mad that the game because your defense is trash.

Astral Dog

Nothing i love it! You are supposed to levep up your attacks, community and eat food the game becomes quite easy.

However Android 20 is the worst fight in the game! Look how to avoid his energy attack on some guide there is a trick that works most of the time, also had lots of trouble with him

PhaseJump

Banned
What's wrong with Kakarot? He fell on his head as a baby. The whole franchise is about TBI induced retard strength overcoming all opposition in the universe. Duh.

Oh, you mean Kakarot the game? It's weeb shit. Throw it in the trash.

Last edited:

Ixion

Remember to use senzu beans and healing capsules during battle. I feel like as long as you’re stocked up on healing items, you’ll get by any battle. I’m up to the Buu saga and haven’t had any trouble as long as I do that.

Kholinar

Banned
I am simply stating my opinion, don't get triggered like this.
And I am stating mine. You're in a discussion board where dialogue is promoted. Of course I'm going to rebut you when you make such a diminutive, worthless criticism of a game I enjoy.

royox

I have the game, played 80h and I understand Op's frustration as I felt the same till I learned how to play.

OP, the game is easy AF when you know how it works.

Do this against bosses:
Spam melee + Side dodge to cancel combo (like 3 melees, dodge, 3 melees dodge, depending on the character add more melees). If you do it correctly and have the correct skills equipped you could even deplete the stun bar of the enemy leaving him incapable of moving and receibing x2 damage (also is how you activate cool cinematic super attacks).

ALL bosses of this game have a super telegraphed move that is like a circle aoe around them that breaks your defense and stuns you. Stop doing ANYTHING and spam dodge forward as crazy. A thing that the game never tells you is that if you use your defensive move (hold defense and press Square on PS4 I think) at the same moment they do that attack you won't get any damage or stun (and you can spam it so you don't have to exactly guess when the hit is coming, just spam it like 3 times and 100% sure you will dodge it).

ALL bosses of this game have a moment when the camera makes a closeup on their faces and they jump to the other side of the planet and start spamming Ki blast, Ki attacks, etc. Just keep your distance and DODGE. Just dodge. Use this time to use restoration items, senzu beans or even to recharge your ki. Most of the times when that attack ends the boss will be "tired" for some seconds, THAT'S when you charge your "limit break" bar and start spamming melee as crazy and after every combo you add your strongest ki blast.

ALL bosses of this game have a phase when their body shines, or is covered by an aura and start rushing towards you. DODGE, DODGE DODGE like crazy and abuse of the super defense skill I told you before. It makes you virtually untouchable as long as you have ki. Usually the boss will get tired after that so it's your moment to use your limit break bar and go for melee spam and ki blasts.

It's a game that punishes being greedy and not knowing ALL BOSSES have this patterns. There are specific phases for you to spam melee and there are specific phases for you to forget about dealing damage and just dodge dodge and dodge. The AI of the game is retarded so it's totally exploitable.

After learning that I started to enjoy the game a lot. I started stunning bosses making the battles super anime-like.

Another tip: Have ALWAYS equiped on all your characters at least 1 melee super that has in the description that deals huge stun damage. That is your melee combo finisher. Your main goal is to deplete that bar as much as you can before the boss goes into one of his inmortal phases.

EDIT: I never grinded while playing this game. Never grind. The game auto levels up your character after each important story moment so grinding is pointless. Just get a bunch of healing and Ki recovering items.

I just beat Android 20, who obviously started spamming energy absorbing moves near the end of the fight, recovering like two health bars

Well...dodge and don't use ki blast. Also this happens in the manga so you should expect that to happen ingame :3

raUUWJV.jpg

As the guide said: "Spam melee, Just keep your distance when he glows red, dodge, kiblast his face after dodging his kiblast with a sidestep".

now 18, who spams unavoidable energy blasts near the end of the fights, and instakills me? Or spamming stunning moves and kicks the hell out of me while I can't move?

She is a kiblast spammer. Keep your distance and dodge to a side. When she gets his "anime closeup" moment you know she will do the move 3 times. After the 3rd one big bang her face. When she starts spamming her "let's go!" attack dodge backwards or exploit the ki defense attack and then melee her ass.

All the bosses have their patterns and their gimmicks. This is not a Naruto Storm Game or a Tenkaichi, they intended to do an Action RPG with boss patterns and strategy for each one. Spamming ki attacks or melee brainlessly will only end on your death against bosses. You can do all the spam in open world bosses tho.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
And I am stating mine. You're in a discussion board where dialogue is promoted. Of course I'm going to rebut you when you make such a diminutive, worthless criticism of a game I enjoy.
You are not stating an opinion. You are saying to someone who dislikes a game you like that he sucks at video-games, which has absolutely nothing to do with dialogue or criticism (you don't have clue about my skill and it is totally unrelated anyway), and the most childish answer you could come up with.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
You are not stating an opinion. You are saying to someone who dislike a game you like that he sucks at video-games, which has absolutely nothing to do with dialogue or criticism (and totally unrelated anyway), and the most childish answer you could come up with.
Your criticism was essentially 'whoever gets opened up by a crouching light gets to perform a combo.' Firstly, unless you're terribly low-ranked, you're not going to get hit by a crouching light in isolation unless accompanied by a mixup, punish, or scramble victory. Secondly, why are you mad that players get rewarded for landing a hit and opening up their opponents? Are you used to FGs where you can mash defensive options that save you from getting comboed because you suck?

Git gud.

I button bashed my way through and had fun. Definitely wasn’t playing right compared to videos I’ve seen online but I enjoyed it anyhow.

cireza

Banned
Your criticism was essentially 'whoever gets opened up by a crouching light gets to perform a combo.' Firstly, unless you're terribly low-ranked, you're not going to get hit by a crouching light in isolation unless accompanied by a mixup, punish, or scramble victory. Secondly, why are you mad that players get rewarded for landing a hit and opening up their opponents? Are you used to FGs where you can mash defensive options that save you from getting comboed because you suck?

Git gud.
I find this mechanic simply bad. Fighting games that rely on never ending combos that cannot be canceled feel ridiculous and not worth my time. There are many more elegant fighting games out there.

Where did you get that I am mad ? You are making things up. Git gud sounds like your only argument in the end, but it is totally unrelated to the discussion. I see that I hurt you somewhere. Don't take it personally when people don't like something you do.

Kholinar

Banned
I find this mechanic simply bad. Fighting games that rely on never ending combos that cannot be canceled feel ridiculous and not worth my time. There are many more elegant fighting games out there.

Where did you get that I am mad ? You are making things up. Git gud sounds like your only argument in the end, but it is totally unrelated to the discussion. I see that I hurt you somewhere. Don't take it personally when people don't like something you do.
Maybe focus on not getting hit so you can perform the 'neverending' combos, lol. Most combos in the game take 10 seconds maximum, and the game actually tilts in your favour once you get knocked down. You can delay wake-up and fuzzy mash, up-tech, fuzzy reflect + tag (works 90% of the time), sparking blast, DP, counter moves, level 3, and you can even take the corner back if you anticipate an IAD. Trying to hit someone out of soft knockdown is literally a guessing game in DBFZ. Not to mention the fact that this is a 3v3 tag fighter with a collective 30k health points on each side. If you could tech within a combo, the games would be absurdly long.

Calling the game 'bad' because you can't adapt and faulting it because it doesn't attend to your flaws is just pure cowardice and indicative of an express lack of skill. I'm not hurt, just disappointed. Casuals are just so pitiful with their laundry lists of why they're bad instead of just settling for the fact that they're simply bad. Git gud.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Maybe focus on not getting hit so you can perform the 'neverending' combos, lol. Most combos in the game take 10 seconds maximum, and the game actually tilts in your favour once you get knocked down. You can delay wake-up and fuzzy mash, up-tech, fuzzy reflect + tag (works 90% of the time), sparking blast, DP, counter moves, level 3, and you can even take the corner back if you anticipate an IAD. Trying to hit someone out of soft knockdown is literally a guessing game in DBFZ. Not to mention the fact that this is a 3v3 tag fighter with a collective 30k health points on each side. If you could tech within a combo, the games would be absurdly long.

Calling the game 'bad' because you can't adapt and faulting it because it doesn't attend to your flaws is just pure cowardice and indicative of an express lack of skill. I'm not hurt, just disappointed. Casuals are just so pitiful with their laundry lists of why they're bad instead of just settling for the fact that they're simply bad. Git gud.
So if I understand your point of view, whenever someone finds a game bad is because he lacks skill. Can't wait for you to share the list of games you find bad, so I can end up every single of my posts by Git gud and be as edgy and cool as you :messenger_grinning:

Kholinar

Banned
So if I understand your point of view, whenever someone finds a game bad is because he lacks skill. Can't wait for you to share the list of games you find bad, so I can end up every single of my posts by Git gud and be as edgy and cool as you :messenger_grinning:
You're mad because the game doesn't provide you with more defensive options even though the ones that already exist are adequate. I need you to understand that you getting put into a combo is a fault of your own, not the game's.

cireza

Banned
You're mad because the game doesn't provide you with more defensive options even though the ones that already exist are adequate. I need you to understand that you getting put into a combo is a fault of your own, not the game's.
This is taking quite a bit of time, but I am confident that we will reach the point where you will understand what I originally said.

I don't like fighting games where the overall combat loop includes : hitting with a quick attack that leads to extremely long combos.
Not related to skill.
Who is mad here ?

Let's take an example :
You : I don't like vegetables.
Me : That's because you are bad at eating them.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
This is taking quite a bit of time, but I am confident that we will reach the point where you will understand what I originally said.

I don't like fighting games where the overall combat loop includes : hitting with a quick attack that leads to extremely long combos.
Not related to skill.
Who is mad here ?

Let's take an example :
You : I don't like vegetables.
Me : That's because you are bad at eating them.
Okay, whatever, don't pose it as a fundamental flaw of the game. Irrespective of whether you like the game's mechanics or not, the fact that you're getting comboed is dependent on your skill and skill alone. If you can't accept that, that's on you.

Top Bottom