• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell did I just find in my spinach?

Should I eat it and stave off the zombie apocalypse or let it be and pray humanity survives?

• Yes, please save us

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, let the world burn

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I don't know, but now I'm hungry

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
So I’m eating lunch and starting with a bowl of spinach when, as I am taking a big bite I look down at my bowl and see this:

cbhA0bm.jpg

🥴🤢🤮

I wish I’d gotten a pic of it in my spinach but I freaked out honestly. 😂

This was in a pre-washed tub of spinach that you buy in the store but it’s easy enough for them to get in afterwards I’m sure. I’m not sure where in this global economy the spinach came from so hopefully letting it live doesn’t start the apocalypse.

Triple bleach me if old or something.

DESTROYA

It’s not as uncommon as people think.Did it taste good?
Lesson to everyone reading, just because it’s says pre-washed doesn’t always mean it’s contamination free.
Always wash all your fruits and veggies kids!
Years of working in the food industry has taught me that, I could tell you people stories but none of you would ever eat fresh vegetables again.

Last edited:
It’s not as uncommon as people think.Did it taste good?

Well thankfully I didn't eat it but now I think I probably ate like 3-4 of them before I even noticed. I'll be burning that tub of spinach when I get home to ensure the survival of the human species.

I'm tempted to try out bugs like crickets or mealworms. They're cheap and flavored. I'm all about that nutrient content.

I hear you but I just can't get past putting a live thing in my mouth and then chewing it up. Definitely have whatever that phobia is.

Those crickets cost 7.90 for the sample pack and each pack has 7 grams of protein which appears to be a dollar/gram of protein. I'll stick to my arsenic and lead riddled protein shakes. 😭

Seriously though, I think I could do it if it was for survival but that's about it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hear you but I just can't get past putting a live thing in my mouth and then chewing it up. Definitely have whatever that phobia is.

Those crickets cost 7.90 for the sample pack and each pack has 7 grams of protein which appears to be a dollar/gram of protein. I'll stick to my arsenic and lead riddled protein shakes. 😭

Seriously though, I think I could do it if it was for survival but that's about it.
h6W3DnG.png

:messenger_fearful:

I've spent $20 on worse things. Maybe I'll end up liking 'em. The only crunchy snackfoods foods I know of are high in carbs.

Tesseract Tesseract might I tempt you to attempt along with me?

Last edited:
h6W3DnG.png

I've spent $20 on worse things. Maybe I'll end up liking 'em. The only crunchy snackfoods foods I know of are high in carbs.

Alright, you've got to report back here or the fitgaf thread and let me know what you think! I'd probably try one if someone had a bag lying around but I can't bring myself to spend money on them.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Alright, you've got to report back here or the fitgaf thread and let me know what you think! I'd probably try one if someone had a bag lying around but I can't bring myself to spend money on them.
I'm three days into a fast so I'm going to strike while the eyes-are-hungrier-than-the-stomach syndrome is hot.

I will definitely let GAF know. No turning back.

cr0w

Old Member
h6W3DnG.png

Mealworms pretty much taste like nothing. All chitin, very little else. Dried crickets, same thing. All you'll feel is the crunch and all you'll taste is whatever they've been flavored with.

If you want substance, move up to waxworms and maybe superworms. Fry up some waxworms and they make a somewhat decent taco.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Mealworms pretty much taste like nothing. All chitin, very little else. Dried crickets, same thing. All you'll feel is the crunch and all you'll taste is whatever they've been flavored with.

If you want substance, move up to waxworms and maybe superworms. Fry up some waxworms and they make a somewhat decent taco.
Thanks. I'm a texture guy so I figured if I could handle the crunchy little ones I would check out superworms next.

I'm three days into a fast so I'm going to strike while the eyes-are-hungrier-than-the-stomach syndrome is hot.

I will definitely let GAF know. No turning back.

That's probably what I'd need to do it too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ok, so you made the crickets and mealworms sound tolerable but this:

superworm.jpg

cr0w

Old Member
That's probably what I'd need to do it too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ok, so you made the crickets and mealworms sound tolerable but this:

superworm.jpg

I mean, not live or anything. If you fry them up it's like crispy chow mein.

I hate the fucking things though, I used to feed them to my Tokay Geckos and they can bite the fuck out of you.

I mean, not live or anything. If you fry them up it's like crispy chow mein.

I hate the fucking things though, I used to feed them to my Tokay Geckos and they can bite the fuck out of you.

I gotcha, now I want chow mein!

The thought of those little fuckers biting me while I'm biting them is just terrifying. :messenger_fearful:

cr0w

Old Member
I gotcha, now I want chow mein!

The thought of those little fuckers biting me while I'm biting them is just terrifying. :messenger_fearful:

They really don't hurt, more of a pinch than anything. When I was really little though I picked up one of those big ass grub worms that burrow into the ground and it bit the fuck out of me, so I have an aversion to any similar situations. I'll hold a dinner plate-sized tarantula or wrangle a gecko that can bite my finger down to the bone, but a little pinch from a grub and I lose my shit.

They really don't hurt, more of a pinch than anything. When I was really little though I picked up one of those big ass grub worms that burrow into the ground and it bit the fuck out of me, so I have an aversion to any similar situations. I'll hold a dinner plate-sized tarantula or wrangle a gecko that can bite my finger down to the bone, but a little pinch from a grub and I lose my shit.

I’m not sure why I’m so irrationally grossed out/maybe slightly scared of some insects but they freak me out. There’s a lot of insects here in Oregon but they’re all relatively small.

I definitely have weird texture issues too and avoid foods that trigger me. 😂

It was hard enough for me to nicely get that beetle out of my spinach without freaking.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Your expectations should be low to begin with when buying any food, you're playing with everything from the farmers, to the packers to the stockers there's a lot happening for stuff like this happening.

Top Bottom