• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to N4G.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowans

I have just cleared out my bookmarks and revisited a few sites a haven't been to in a while.

I always wondered how a videogame user submitted story site like Digg would do and was glad when N4G popped up.

Looks like the only thing to kill that would be videogame fans and system wars.

I've just had a good early morning chuckle at the types stories they have submitted now and comments section my lord!

Oh well one less bookmark for me now.

Anyone been a regular viewer? What happened?

N4G went to shit a while ago, you have to be insane to actually participate with all the other people around there, especially if you prefer any other console than the ps3. Not that the site is terrible because its full of PS3 fanboys, but because its full of some of the worst fanboy types that exist.

Edit: oh and I believe they also discuss GAF on their forums (not sure, heard it here somehwere)

Gowans

Hellraizer said:
because its full of some of the worst fanboy types that exist.

Yeah I couldn't believe people actually think like some of the statements in the comments. They really seem to hate, even each other.

Might go back & read them on my lunch for a laugh.

I believe the biggest problem with N4G is that the people who frequent there are not interested in the videogames, but rather videogame platforms.

That, and the fact that people can link stories to any old blog which happens to be peddling whatever agenda that they feel is a righteous one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The hottest games list is hilarious. Killzone is #1 at like 115,000 degrees and #2 is Resident Evil 5 at 14,000 degrees. Something like that :lol

N4G.com is a place for fanboys to dwell.

Most of the story there is Sony is dying, PR talk, sells, non news, MS is evil, Nintendo doesn't give a damn about hardcore, etc.

Forgot review scores from out of nowhere websites.

fushi

Ballistictiger said:
Most of the story there is Sony is dying, PR talk, sells, non news, MS is evil, Nintendo doesn't give a damn about hardcore, etc.

That does kind of sound like NeoGAF on a bad day.

PacoDG

Gowans007 said:

Been a regular viewer, never really get into the forums or even the comments for the most part. It went to shit a while ago (whenever the "hip hop gamer" started becoming a regular front page thing). I still use it for site hits because .. hey.. one sensational title and you will get hits for quite a while (I somewhat feel dirty inside for having done that).

Kritz

Banned
What is this... "N4G"? *google*

Hitler Ranting About Killzone 2 Reviews
These are absolutely brilliant showing Hitler subtitled and ranting about Killzone 2 and it's reviews. He's an XBOX 360 fanboy, spent all his money on the 360 and now cannot afford a Playstation 3. Woe is Hitler. A must watch as they are just hilarious. You know, besides the whole Hitler angle.

35+ minutes footage of Halo Wars Demo
"I thought you will get it because it say "halo" on the box. just change the name and put another kind of generic characters in the game and I bet your "fun" game is not fun anymore."

"seriously though, do people even care about gaylo anymore? If it wasn't for microsoft advertising this franchise to the moon, it would've CRIPPLED a long time ago."

"........cool I got a PS3 so I couldn't give a damn about this game. I wouldn't buy it if I had an Xbox anyway. If I wanted an RTS I'll just play Axis & Allies or Civ 4 on PC."

GameReacter (Sweden) Killzone 2 Review
"So I presume that the Sony fanboys are working full time looking for reviews from unknown websites on google. Keep em' coming! I want Killzone 2 super-awesome N4G metascore to be above 9.5!!!!"

"Well doesn't it deserve a metascore of over 9.5?
It rapes Gears in every department by so much its not even funny, yet every one seems scared to give it 10's.
I know Boxheads dont believe in all these conspiracys but EVERYONE says KZ is the better game. If the meta goes under 9.3 you know somethings up."

Uh... huh. Well. There you go.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kritz said:
What is this... "N4G"? *google*

Hitler Ranting About Killzone 2 Reviews

35+ minutes footage of Halo Wars Demo
"I thought you will get it because it say "halo" on the box. just change the name and put another kind of generic characters in the game and I bet your "fun" game is not fun anymore."

"seriously though, do people even care about gaylo anymore? If it wasn't for microsoft advertising this franchise to the moon, it would've CRIPPLED a long time ago."

"........cool I got a PS3 so I couldn't give a damn about this game. I wouldn't buy it if I had an Xbox anyway. If I wanted an RTS I'll just play Axis & Allies or Civ 4 on PC."

GameReacter (Sweden) Killzone 2 Review
"So I presume that the Sony fanboys are working full time looking for reviews from unknown websites on google. Keep em' coming! I want Killzone 2 super-awesome N4G metascore to be above 9.5!!!!"

"Well doesn't it deserve a metascore of over 9.5?
It rapes Gears in every department by so much its not even funny, yet every one seems scared to give it 10's.
I know Boxheads dont believe in all these conspiracys but EVERYONE says KZ is the better game. If the meta goes under 9.3 you know somethings up."

Uh... huh. Well. There you go.

Oh dear

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
In the beginning it was a decent source for the latest gaming news and the comment sections were fairly civil. After it gained popularity, it became so dominated by fucking morons that they created a two-tier comments system (Gamer Zone & Shit Pit). Now I know the intention was that the Gamer Zone would be heavily moderated but I'm guessing that it was either too time consuming to moderate such a large number of halfwits or they didn't give a shit as long as the traffic was flowing to the site.

N4G has always seemed pretty shitty for me. They occasionally have a good story but it's not worth trawling through the crap to find it.

sullytao

Yeah N4G really is a poor site at the moment. They seem to love going to sites that no one has heard of and pulling stories. Some of there posted rumours are hilarious aswell. Again from sites that no ones heard of but this time on there forums, started by random members and beginning with I know someone in the industry who said.... :lol

I actually found out about N4G though GAF, about a year, ago. I still visit the site on a regular basis, just for gaming news. You have to sift through the bullshit, but pretty much all gaming-related news appears there. Even if the same news makes it to GAF, it's just easier to keep up-to-date with N4G, due to the nature of the site.

But, yeah... don't even bother with the comments section. The fanboy arguments have even made it to the article headlines, themselves. You'll see an article titled, "5 Reasons PS3 will rule 2009", follow by another article, by a completely different writer, titled, "5 Reasons Xbox 360 will rule 2009".

Zinga

Banned
I use to read N4G a lot about 12 months ago (before finding neogaf and bluesnews), but then things got really bad a few years ago as the console wars heated up and the fanboys took it upon themselves as a personal mission to defend the honour of their consoles.

The thing is though is that the administrators who run N4G actually encourage the console wars because it helps line their own pockets and apparently Dusty, ZeroTolerance and Catastrophe basically don't have to work anymore because of the revenue from the site, and the best part of that racket is that the contributors do all the work while they collect the paychecks :lol

The site is a total screwup, just glad to finally be on GAF where at least some people have a brain

Zinga said:
The thing is though is that the administrators who run N4G actually encourage the console wars because it helps line their own pockets and apparently Dusty, ZeroTolerance and Catastrophe basically don't have to work anymore because of the revenue from the site, and the best part of that racket is that the contributors do all the work while they collect the paychecks :lol

This sounds like the good life. Having an army of idiotic cunts essentially paying you AND providing you with daily humour?
:lol

AstroMan

Banned
N4G is the best way to get thousands of hits on your website. Run a bias, false or completely useless story (Like "Top 10 PS2 games that need a sequel!") and I guarantee your traffic rankings will SKYROCKET. Are you selling a piece of your soul by doing this? Yes but if you can do it early enough in your websites life and deliver quality stories from then on, you can build a fairly stable reader base.

Empty

I have no need for a gaming news aggregator like digg when i have Nirolak.

N4G is a neat way of keeping some of the worst types locked up in an ugly pit of fanboy bullshit that i never have to visit. It does however encourage the worst kind of games writing as it is so easy to get clicks by appealing to them.

deepbrown

N4G works for finding all the latest news...what's big in the news. It's also the best reviews metacritic, as it includes every single review that's posted (not selective reviews lke Metacritic). Just don't read the comments.

AstroMan

Banned
deepbrown said:
It's also the best reviews metacritic, as it includes every single review that's posted (not selective reviews lke Metacritic).

Metacritic takes reviews from established websites (If I remember correctly, you need 100 reviews to get on the site) in order to provide the most accurate average score. If Metacritic took every review from every no-name site into consideration, users would have difficulty getting an accurate read on the quality (or lack thereof) of games.

I'm really not sure why you'd prefer the N4G way, but whatever.

Zinga said:
Good life heh/ Trolling the trolls. It's like a dogtroll-sleigh.

Hellraizer said:
N4G went to shit a while ago, you have to be insane to actually participate with all the other people around there, especially if you prefer any other console than the ps3.
Pretty much, the vitriol just put it in the same category of "don't go there" as Chartzzzz. Weren't they the site that had an article or two sourced solely on what someone said on the Sony forums? :lol

Darklord

Banned
It's a little useful for finding out some game info but most of it is garbage. There is always articles like "Halo: Reach to be better than Uncharted 2" or "Why Mass Effect 2 is the worst game this generation". It's the gaming equivalent to a trashing gossip mag.

Zinga said:

Say what you will, that is awesome and I want in!

for a year or two i actually tried to make N4G a little bit better by making sensible comments there... but it's no use, the people there are so childish.

so i escaped here.

Fuck. Remind me to never go to N4G. Spawned upon the article about how Halo: Rach has taken the hype from God of War 3. Holy fuck, one of the biggest fanboyish thing I've ever heard. And then that same site had Dante's Inferno review and under the "bad" it mentions that the gameplay is similar to Darksiders and not pointing the obvious.

Fuck. I hate websites like that!

I read long time ago, that N4G was created or owned by a European Ex-NeoGAFFer (was he banned?), still no proof of that.

Some commentators actually come from NeoGAF. they seem to be 'VERY' polite in NeoGAF but not in N4G.

It's often funny to just read through the comments there and just be in awe at how stupid people can be. The whole like and dislike thing they got going falls completely out of the water when someone comments "PS3 RULEZ, GO PLAY GAYBOX360" and gets 70 likes for it.

Zinga

Banned
m0ngo said:
Someone has made a thead about this topic in the 'members chat zone' board over there :lol

This is N4G we're talking about, expect this thread to hit their front page sometime today :lol

I'm not sure, ever since I saw it for the first time it looked like a really shitty site with gamefaq level disussions.

m0ngo said:
Someone has made a thread about this topic in the 'members chat zone' board over there :lol
:lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
N4G contains news articles, same news articles + fanboy's opinions, same news articles + assumptions on what will happen to the game.

For example:
Heavy Rain dated.
Heavy Rain sucks.
Heavy Rain is awesome.
Heavy Rain will fail because of 10 reasons.
Heavy Rain will be great because of 5 reasons.

How the hell do these classify as News 4 Gamers?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
b8uzcl.jpg

*slow clap*

Gowans007 said:
I have just cleared out my bookmarks and revisited a few sites a haven't been to in a while.

I always wondered how a videogame user submitted story site like Digg would do and was glad when N4G popped up.

Looks like the only thing to kill that would be videogame fans and system wars.

I've just had a good early morning chuckle at the types stories they have submitted now and comments section my lord!

Oh well one less bookmark for me now.

hiphopgamer is what happened....if could express the built "hate" i haven against this guy I would...but this may not be the right place to do it :D

nightez

Banned
chandoog said:
b8uzcl.jpg

*slow clap*
Its kinda true. I was playng the Fable Demo on Live Marketplace. To me the graphics looked comparable to Twilight Princess on Gamecube. They really low balled the poly counts. I think the artists were told not to use more than 2.5k triangles per character. Maybe they were aiming for a vintage gaming style 'look', who knows.

diztrukted said:
hiphopgamer is what happened....if could express the built "hate" i haven against this guy I would...but this may not be the right place to do it :D

Yeah, he definitely didn't help matters, but he's only able to be semi-successful because he panders to the audience that was already there. The community is pretty terrible, but it's still not a bad resource to stay up to date on the latest news as long as you can filter through the bullshit articles.

nightez

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
N4G.com is a place for fanboys to dwell.

I'd rather go read Sp*ng.com than N4G

Requeim

diztrukted said:

i love you, and i couldn't agree any more

EXGN

deepbrown said:
N4G works for finding all the latest news...what's big in the news. It's also the best reviews metacritic, as it includes every single review that's posted (not selective reviews lke Metacritic). Just don't read the comments.

Awesome, then I can get well thought out reviews from gamerz4lyf.blogspot.com.

nightez said:
Its kinda true. I was playng the Fable Demo on Live Marketplace. To me the graphics looked comparable to Twilight Princess on Gamecube. They really low balled the poly counts. I think the artists were told not to use more than 2.5k triangles per character. Maybe they were aiming for a vintage gaming style 'look', who knows.
you played Fable 3 in XBL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom