• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is going on with Cyberpunk 2077? NSFW maybe.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK
Am I the only one disappointed CDPR engaged with these people/polygon? I mean whats the point? :messenger_neutral:

Look at this Andy Chalk "journalist", I dare you to find an article he has written that does not have a link to a REEEEESetera thread. On top of it every single article he writes they close the comments because its not towing the line.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-art-criticized-as-transphobic-is-meant-to-reflect-corporate-exploitation-says-the-artist
Like it or not, these are still potential customers and while Twitter outrage mobs and activist journalists are a bunch of irrational twits, it's still not a corporations place to tell them they're wrong or pick an ideological fight with them.

There was a reasonable, in universe and thematically appropriate reason for the image and explaining that calmly without insults meant that the irrational far left hate mob were proven to be overreacting to a non issue.

CDPR handled it perfectly basically.

Calling customers toxic or dismissing their concerns as hateful trolling isn't right no matter what side of the political fence the complaints are coming from, and I wish more companies would realise that (Star Wars certainly jumps to mind here.).

CyberPanda

Mar 4, 2019
Well yeah, smile emojis are incredibly oppressive to people who are indifferent, and it's tantamount to physical violence against people who are unhappy, smile emojis are basically a hate crime, hahaha....
I would love it for someone on Reee to make a thread a about ‘Is it ok to post Smile emojis on this forum?’ Lmao

Oct 11, 2007
Look it's a country that didn't hesitate a second to surrender to the Nazis and deported shit tons of people, today it's a country that hasn't evolved with old dumb fucks values and hypocrite morales, they have a neo-nazi party and an extreme-right wing party even though there's close to zero immigrants there.

I could've said the same of Russia, but nah they're independant, don't have nazi or extreme-right wing crap of that scale, they've evolved to some measure. But nah it's just those particular Hostel movie like shit-hole, albeit a beautiful one, I've been to Krakow, but the people there were mostly racist/homophobic/conservative couch-potato people.
I know I'm way out of my jurisdiction here, but...let's talk to him a bit more instead of banning him at the moment. Let's give education a chance before he is banished. Not saying I have the answers, or even know the history of the poster, but let's see if we can teach before we throw them to the wayside. Maybe they are just ignorant and need a better view.

I wish I read more before posting this...

Jan 3, 2019
This is my thought too.
I wish devs would just make games for their target demographic (generally that'll be straight males of whatever ethnicity) and ignore the complaints from weirdo's.

In principle, I would agree with this but we are talking about a game that will be GOTY contender and needs to have most media on their side, like it or not. It's just sad that you take risks making a videogame and some no-lifers trying to put it down because penis.

As for Poland, it's a conservative country, SO WHAT? Is conservative a bad thing? Their economy is thriving and their streets are safe. I wish I could say the same about mine.

CHEROKEEE

Neo Member
Oct 19, 2017
Germany
Are those fuckers over there dis-banning (i don't know if this is a real word) people after the explanation from cd project Or they kinda forget that?
Very unlikely… I remember, when the Jussie Smollett Thing hit the news - anyone, calling the whole Story fishy or "probably fake" over there was banned for stuff like "dismissive victim blaming etc." Once Smollett´s Charade blew up in his face, some posters actually asked About those BANS for doubting the whole Thing from the get go…. the MODS denied that request with justifications ala "at the time of Posting, it was inappropriate because they DIDNT have any Knowledge of the later Facts," o_O

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Am I the only one disappointed CDPR engaged with these people/polygon? I mean whats the point? :messenger_neutral:
There is nothing wrong with CDPR engaging with "these people", they handled it very well I think. It would be weird to fight ignorance with ignorance, being the adult in the room is the better choice in my view, but feel free to disagree.

I wish devs would just make games for their target demographic (generally that'll be straight males of whatever ethnicity) and ignore the complaints from weirdo's.
I would think the target demographic for CDPR games are reasonable, mature humans of whatever gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity. A good story is a good story regardless of who is watching/playing. I'd leave the gatekeeping based on immutable characteristics to REEEE

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
kinda funny that they can't understand satire that is critiquing corporate brands appropriating wokeness.
Amusing but not not surprising. If I were a CEO, I'd double my woke indulgences budget to head off any criticism of actual business practices.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah that’s where I am to.

Of course we have no idea what is what. It’s a zoom in of a screenshot taken. And we could very well be wrong about whatever we think it is.

However assuming it is, why care? If it is someone with features both male and female... what is the issue?
I don’t quite get it either. I mean, it’s a chick with a giant dong. What’s there to cry about? First they say trans people are never given fair representation and then when they are they don’t like it that it features a huge veiny dick. So sensitive, Reeeee is, and seemingly never happy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Neo Member
Jun 11, 2019
Very unlikely… I remember, when the Jussie Smollett Thing hit the news - anyone, calling the whole Story fishy or "probably fake" over there was banned for stuff like "dismissive victim blaming etc." Once Smollett´s Charade blew up in his face, some posters actually asked About those BANS for doubting the whole Thing from the get go…. the MODS denied that request with justifications ala "at the time of Posting, it was inappropriate because they DIDNT have any Knowledge of the later Facts," o_O
i remember that, i was like wtf? :pie_diana:

Jun 2, 2013
UK
digibitsgaming.wixsite.com
Feels like some are really reaching to find fault with CDPR at this point and taking things far too seriously over on the other site. Some of the bans are stupid.

The game is set in a gritty, violent, dystopian future, where body mods can blur the lines between gender and even remaining human, plus it seems to have a dark sense of humour / satire about it all. I don't think anything was put in the game to straight up offend people.

Reactions: hariseldon

Shifty1897

Sep 22, 2014
Livingston, AL
What triggered them about Witcher?
That supposedly Witcher 3 was a misogynistic mess. Also the Polygon review claimed there were no non-white people in the game (this is not true) and people threw a fit over that. Things really blew up once CDPR started to make (admittedly, stupid) tweets in 2018 that were basically baiting the SJW community, but they were a target before that.

Last edited:

Edammer

Jul 22, 2016
Netherlands
I am a both sides guy (as in era and gaf) but its shaming to see the madness from the off-topic section is slipping into the the gaming section as well.
I nearly didnt dare to post my opinion in the Cyberpunk topic since they ban everyone who goes against the stream.
Last week there was a person asking to ban conversation on certain devs and games. Their is no place for middle ground. Your either with them or your a nazi-bigot-misasgnostic or whatever words they all love to share.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
That supposedly Witcher 3 was a misogynistic mess. Also the Polygon review claimed there were no non-white people in the game (this is not true) and people threw a fit over that. Things really blew up once they started make (admittedly, stupid) tweets in 2018 that were basically baiting the SJW community, but they were a target before that.
It’s always something. Must suck being pissed all the time.

Mista

Dragonslayer
Nov 21, 2014
Look it's a country that didn't hesitate a second to surrender to the Nazis and deported shit tons of people, today it's a country that hasn't evolved with old dumb fucks values and hypocrite morales, they have a neo-nazi party and an extreme-right wing party even though there's close to zero immigrants there.

I could've said the same of Russia, but nah they're independant, don't have nazi or extreme-right wing crap of that scale, they've evolved to some measure. But nah it's just those particular Hostel movie like shit-hole, albeit a beautiful one, I've been to Krakow, but the people there were mostly racist/homophobic/conservative couch-potato people.
I was actually waiting for this. Bye bye now little birdie

kegkilla

Aug 1, 2007
The mental illness in that community is off the charts. A lot of these people (specifically the mods) cannot emotionally cope with the (very real) possibility that their worldviews are totally fucked.

Jan 29, 2019
Taken out your politically correct lenses, this is an interesting detail, I love that kind of edgy images from time to time, it's so over the top.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
I was actually waiting for this. Bye bye now little birdie
My favorite part about that post is that it may have been bannable even on Era, for victim blaming the Polish people after being invaded by Nazi Germany. That said, Era hates Poland, so maybe not. I remember what a giddy shit show the World Cup topic was when Poland was losing to Senegal last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyuCookingSomeRice

Xenon

Objectifying bodies when bodies are made up of sculpted objects, shocking. I'm sure there will be other ads in the game objectifying women and men as well. CD projekt Red is being heavy handed with their commentary. Kind of reminds me of the Paul verhoeven stuff of the 80s. It seems over the top but that's the joke or point rather.

Their response was perfect. But ultimately certain people will be upset because it's more about them controlling then anything else.

Last edited:

Kuksune

Oct 1, 2014
Falun, Sweden
Are those fuckers over there dis-banning (i don't know if this is a real word) people after the explanation from cd project Or they kinda forget that?
I'm still banned for 7 days, so i guess that they will not lift bans.
Objectifying bodies when bodies are made up of sculpted objects, shocking. I'm sure there will be other ads in the game objectifying women and men as well. CD projekt Red is being heavy handed with their commentary. Kind of reminds me of the Paul Verhoeven stuff of the 80s. It seems over the top but that's the joke or point rather.

Their response was perfect. But ultimately certain people will be upset because it's more about them controlling then anything else.
Oh shit, you're right. Cyberpunk 2077 feels alot like the mocie They live but with the veil uncovered and people just accepting the facts.

Reactions: Xenon

ph33rknot

Jan 17, 2018
lol I think it's more likely a case of pareidolia. It does sort look like a dick though.

Also, a vocal minority on resetera/twitter are throwing a fit over this (shocking, I know). Yet wouldn't this be considered inclusive?

Let's say that is a trans character in that ad, so why is this wrong in the world of Cyberpunk? Why are sexually explicit ads no longer ok in a Cyberpunk themed world when they hypothetically feature trans characters, but for others it's seemingly no big deal. What is the sin?

Damned if you do , damned if you don't.
This is the reason you don't listen to people complain online

Reactions: Somnium
Jan 9, 2018
This situation just points to a major contradiction within today's cyberpunk genre: it has historical roots in a dystopian critique of technological hyper-consumerism, but it remains ambivalent as to whether that future is meant to be liberating or terrifying.

Particularly when it comes to the core topic of humans reinventing themselves via technological transformation, the genre isn't clear whether it fetishizes or abhors the bizarre future it depicts... modifying bodies, adding parts, and certainly "trans" fit under this topic, the latter as a merging of certain medical & cosmetic technologies with an ideology of self-as-consumer.

I'd say that any good cyberpunk keeps a level of horror or uncertainty regarding these things... because falling for a fantasy of somehow liberating ourselves as choose-your-own-body amalgams is exactly the kind of naiveté that sci-fi exists to critique, as Black Mirror and others regularly do. Cyberpunk games & movies should absolutely contain controversial takedowns of current sexual & medical trends, and it's a laugh that there is such a large set of players who just want the fantasy and to be affirmed that 2019-style trans will still be there and be cool in the coming dystopia.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Objectifying bodies when bodies are made up of sculpted objects, shocking. I'm sure there will be other ads in the game objectifying women and men as well. CD projekt Red is being heavy handed with their commentary. Kind of reminds me of the Paul verhoeven stuff of the 80s. It seems over the top but that's the joke or point rather.

To me its more of an indication that people who participate in outrage culture do it for the pure joy. That those people screaming oppression aren't suffering from oppression, they are narcissistic. Attempting to make a situation they have no part of revolve around them.

I think we can agree fast food (Mcdonalds) isn't good for you. That regularly eating it will negatively affect your health. If I said Mcdonalds is doing it to kill people... you'd rightfully say "OK stop. You are being ridiculous".

You have the right to be offended by this image (or any). No one can say you don't feel how you feel. However your feelings of offense doesn't equal someone else intent. It doesn't work that way.

RokkanStoned

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Norway
Is this a big surprise? Transhumanism, hyper violence, hypersexualization and breaking conformity is a big thing about sci-fi. This is all pretty non-shocking to me and is kind of the thing I expect when it comes to the Cyberpunk game. Technology, the freedom it brings and debauchery should definitely be present. There should be things there to trigger all kinds of people, wherever they are on the political spectrum.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK
It's the whole "Mario Odyssey is appropriating Mexican culture" thing all over again.

Reeera: ree intensifies
Mexicans: "Neat"

Also see: Cecil the Lion

Jimmy Kimmel: cries on televison
Zimbabweans: "Good. Fuck lions."
I'm with you on the getting triggered on behalf of other cultures that naturally don't actually give a toss, but sod big game hunters.

Anyone who gets their rocks off murdering animals for nothing more than sport is an irredeemable wanker, regardless of what the locals might ignorantly think of said animals.

ExpandKong

Jan 9, 2018
I'm with you on the getting triggered on behalf of other cultures that naturally don't actually give a toss, but sod big game hunters.

Anyone who gets their rocks off murdering animals for nothing more than sport is an irredeemable wanker, regardless of what the locals might ignorantly think of said animals.
I agree - I’ll get my tags and hunt deer and turkey for food but I’m not about to go fuck with lions - that particular incident just blew up wayyyy more than it had any right to, I think.

hariseldon

Aug 22, 2018
Same straight from GOG with 100% going to CD project red. Can't wait for it.
Same. In general I like to buy from gog where I can, ok part to support the good guys in this industry, an organisation that is VERY consumer friendly, and in part because DRM free stuff is stuff you own.

Reactions: klosos and OSC

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
I would think the target demographic for CDPR games are reasonable, mature humans of whatever gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity. A good story is a good story regardless of who is watching/playing. I'd leave the gatekeeping based on immutable characteristics to REEEE
It depends on what the statistics say about their audience, I'm not sure what the particulars for witcher or western rpgs is, but if say they were mostly male, that would be a fact not gatekeeping. If there's equal representation from both genders, or from all races that might be possible too, but if it isn't there's nothing wrong with people's choices.
modifying bodies, adding parts, and certainly "trans" fit under this topic, the latter as a merging of certain medical & cosmetic technologies with an ideology of self-as-consumer.
I would imagine in a world with full body cybernetics, brain transplants are possible and most trans would fully transition to the gender of their liking.

IT would be gender nonconforming people that would mix the feminine with the masculine in strange ways.

Last edited:

Somnium

Apr 1, 2016
art-of-vlad.com
The worst thing is, the mods and admin lack so much integrity, they won't even so much as admit fault for wrongfully banning users for making completely reasonable points in good faith. Some even made points very similar to the CDPR artist that issued the statement :pie_thinking:
This is the reason you don't listen to people complain online
Particularly if it's just for the sake of complaining, with no worthwhile arguments. That shit gets old fast.

Reactions: ph33rknot

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
It depends on what the statistics say about their audience, I'm not sure what the particulars for witcher or western rpgs is, but [...]
Let me stop you right there. If you don't have any actual numbers (and I've never seen CDPR release any?) all this is just based on your gut feeling and that is just as wrong as mine. The few numbers I have seen on the what % women are playing games are quite contradictory and fluctuate between 2 and 70% depending on genre. RPG seem to have a rather healthy 25 to 35%.

Simple fact: neither of us actually knows who buys the e.g. Witcher games. So no reason to jump to conclusions like you do here.

I don't know about your country of residence, but around here nobody checks my gender when I buy a game in the shop. Hence it is nearly impossible to actually get accurate numbers, since surveys they might have only count those who bother to fill them out. For example I don't bother, so I'm personally not counted in such statistics. Judging by the ads Google tries on me, not even they are quite sure what I am.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
Let me stop you right there. If you don't have any actual numbers (and I've never seen CDPR release any?) all this is just based on your gut feeling and that is just as wrong as mine. The few numbers I have seen on the what % women are playing games are quite contradictory and fluctuate between 2 and 70% depending on genre. RPG seem to have a rather healthy 25 to 35%.

Simple fact: neither of us actually knows who buys the e.g. Witcher games. So no reason to jump to conclusions like you do here.

I don't know about your country of residence, but around here nobody checks my gender when I buy a game in the shop. Hence it is nearly impossible to actually get accurate numbers, since surveys they might have only count those who bother to fill them out. For example I don't bother, so I'm personally not counted in such statistics. Judging by the ads Google tries on me, not even they are quite sure what I am.
If this one has multiplayer with voice, it'll be easy to get a sufficient sample to tell, probably, at least of the multiplayer audience.

• LOL
Reactions: Makariel