• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is it with anime fans and Pocky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichirou

Banned
I mean, really - is it because it's like the only recognizable Japanese candy? Do they somehow feel like they're part of an exclusive clique when they eat it? Do they believe they'll somehow turn Japanese once they've consumed enough of it?!

Goddammit, Pocky isn't that special!!! GO EAT A DANGO, YOU ANIME GEEK BASTARDS!!!!

G-Fex

I'm hoping to grow cool anime hair if I eat enough Pocky. That way I won't worry anymore about my thining hair. I'll have cool spikey bangs and so forth.

But honestly I eat it because it's tasty, and I feel it'll probably the closest thing I'll get to going to actual japan.

Ichirou

Banned
If eating Pocky is the closest you feel you'll ever get to going to Japan...man, I have no words.

Pocky is just candy. There is NOTHING about it that is particularly Japanese in either its taste or its origins. Is it popular in Japan? Yeah, but so are Kit Kats, Snickers, and about a half-dozen other brands of chocolate! Hell, Pocky isn't even the best Japanese chocolate! And it sure as hell isn't the best candy out there! For chrissakes, eating Pocky is about the same as eating Twix or Three Musketeers, except that the anime geeks feel that by eating it they're making some sort of statement.

Well, y'know what statement you're making, right? That you're willing to pay extra cash just to eat little stick of bread with chocolate covering just because there's Japanese text on the box!

The Abominable Snowman said:
I thought the japanese ate pocky because it's a dispensably cheap yet kinda good treat, like we do peppermint.

Pocky's not particularly cheaper than anything else, so that theory's out the window. Hell, in my year here, I've yet to see someone other than a foreigner actually buying and eating Pocky. I'm sure it sells, but it's not this super-popular mega-unique Japanese candy that all the anime geeks make it out to be.

I mean, the equivalent would be people who like American movies importing 3 Musketeers.

It's moronic.

Vark

I'm a fan of those chocolate filled tube things you can get at Office Depot myself. prioline? Prioulline...

Whatever, they rock.

Ichirou

Banned
metdroid said:
Noone eats pocky over here except western nerds

Exactly!!!! It's been hyped up into this ridiculously unique Japanese food...

It's candy!!! If you want to get close to Japan, try reading a book about Japanese history or something.

bjork

Every singly dickhead customer I have buys pocky because "it's japanese." They also buy Ranume that is marked up to $2/bottle. We tell them that it's like drinking bad Sprite, but they're like HEY THE MARBLE IT HAS TO BE GOOD. Same for pocky... I've sold stale pocky for over a year, but they swear it's the shit.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Ichirou_Oogami said:
Exactly!!!! It's been hyped up into this ridiculously unique Japanese food...

It's candy!!! If you want to get close to Japan, try reading a book about Japanese history or something.

Bah... That takes too much effort.. With pocky you can get close to japanese culture AND get fat. It's a win win situation.

El Papa

Hi-Chu is where it's at, fools!

5407.jpg

Ichirou

Banned
bjork said:
Every singly dickhead customer I have buys pocky because "it's japanese." They also buy Ranume that is marked up to $2/bottle. We tell them that it's like drinking bad Sprite, but they're like HEY THE MARBLE IT HAS TO BE GOOD. Same for pocky... I've sold stale pocky for over a year, but they swear it's the shit.

About the only pocky I like is the limited lemon fromage variety, and I feel dirty buying it because it's frickin' POCKY.

Ramune isn't good either. WTF...just 'cause something's Japanese they'd pay more than two bucks a bottle?! You could get like four cans of Sprite from a vending machine where I'm from, for that price!

Are you japanese yourself, ichirou? Because even if you are, you seem like such an elitest otaku. That said, I don't get the pocky thing either.

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
Are you japanese yourself, ichirou? Because even if you are, you seem like such an elitest otaku. That said, I don't get the pocky thing either.

Wait, I'm railing against anime geeks so that makes me an otaku? Please explain your logic to me. :lol

G-Fex said:
I realize I'm just some poser looking for fitting into japanese culture. Thank you thread poster.

Man, I'm just saying - if every time you had the urge to buy Pocky you put that money in a jar...in a few years you'd have enough money saved up to go to Japan!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Like I've said before -- Pocky isn't even "exotic" anymore. I mean, for christs' sake, they sell it at Wal-Mart nowadays.

Back when you couldn't buy it anywhere other than asian groceries and the internet, I agree that it would be stupid to go out of your way to buy it, but really, who cares anymore? I know people that drive for an hour to eat at their favourite restaurants, are they "elitists"?

So it's from Japan. So what? Because Cadbury is a British company anyone who eats a Creme Egg is a wannabe Brit?

This is such a stupid thread.

Ichirou

Banned
cloudwalking said:
This is such a stupid thread.

Your opinion can't be trusted, you pockyfan!

And the difference between Cadbury Creme Eggs and Pocky is that people don't just eat Cadbury Creme Eggs because they come from the UK. People do eat Pocky just because it comes from Japan. If anyone actually thought eating Cadbury Creme Eggs made them feel closer to England, I would feel sorry for them too.

medrew

Can you please make a thread about people that eat Koala March/Kancho just to spite my candy eating habbits even more.

Ichirou

Banned
medrew said:
Can you please make a thread about people that eat Koala March/Kancho just to spite my candy eating habbits even more.

No, my work here is done. Others will follow in my footsteps.

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Wait, I'm railing against anime geeks so that makes me an otaku? Please explain your logic to me. :lol

Man, I'm just saying - if every time you had the urge to buy Pocky you put that money in a jar...in a few years you'd have enough money saved up to go to Japan!
You're not japanese, you post on gaf, and you live in japan. I'm sorry, I may be assuming too much, but come on... come the hell on. Take out the beam from thine own eye before you point at people
s splintesr. :D

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
You're not japanese, you post on gaf, and you live in japan. I'm sorry, I may be assuming too much, but come on... come the hell on. Take out the beam from thine own eye before you point at people
s splintesr. :D

Wait...so every foreigner living in Japan is an otaku? Is that what you're saying? :lol :lol :lol

Sumidor

You know, after reading this thread, it's pretty true. Most of the people that buy pocky are the same people renting anime all the time. It's also the same people who want anything and everything japanese. The best is when they think i'm japanese and like to try out the new phrase or word they learned, from their hours of watching anime. I'll admit, I like eating pocky once and a while, it's just like eating any other kind of cookie though.

And whoever brought up Hi-Chus.. good job, that stuff is addictive as hell.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Ichirou_Oogami said:
The name+avatar, maybe? I'm getting that vibe, too. :lol

"GAAAH YOU'RE ALL ANIME GEEKS I'M IN JAPAN DON'T EAT POCKY I'M IN JAPAN NOBODY EATS POCKY I'M IN JAPAN!!!!!!!!"

Pocky is pretty lame, but so is this thread.

Ichirou

Banned
pjberri said:
The name+avatar, maybe? I'm getting that vibe, too. :lol

"GAAAH YOU'RE ALL ANIME GEEKS I'M IN JAPAN DON'T EAT POCKY I'M IN JAPAN NOBODY EATS POCKY I'M IN JAPAN!!!!!!!!"

Pocky is pretty lame, but so is this thread.

It's from a video game. This is a gaming forum. XD

OMG VIDEO GAMES ARE JAPANEEEEEEEESEEEEEEE :p

P.S. I will make sure to mention my location when I move back to Puerto Rico. I only bring it up when it's relevant in conversation.

P.P.S. Your name is from a video game too, lolz.

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
Yes. But nevermind, it's my opinion and I can be a bigot sometimes. I'm sorry.

Look, I have nothing against anime fans. I like to watch anime myself, though I haven't seen anything new in the past couple of years.

It's these sheeple trends that bother the shit out of me.

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
I eat ramen with chopsticks while I watch naruto.

I actually thought about doing that once :(

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. :lol :lol :lol

I don't have a HIDDEN LEAF VILLAGE forehead protector
yet
:p I'd wear it around my waist.

What about people that type baka over and over againdattebayo?

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
I don't have a HIDDEN LEAF VILLAGE forehead protector
yet
:p I'd wear it around my waist.

What about people that type baka over and over againdattebayo?

The people who sprinkle Japanese words into everyday English conversation are the absolute worst.

Kuroyume

Banned
Of course Japanese people eat pocky. Why the hell would they make it and distriubte it throughout Japan if that were not true?

Btw, I have never eaten pocky and I am proud of it.

I'm sure I'm missing out on something from not eating pocky and watching Naruto or not eating pocky, playing tales of sumphonia, and listening to gackt at the same time, but I'm too masculine and American for that stuff.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Ichirou_Oogami said:
And the difference between Cadbury Creme Eggs and Pocky is that people don't just eat Cadbury Creme Eggs because they come from the UK.
When I want to feel closer to England, I eat jelly babies while wearing a long scarf. I eat Cadbury Creme Eggs when I want to feel closer to being a rabbit that clucks like a chicken.

And when I was in Japan, I bought some chocolate-banana Pocky that was delish. Also, pink grapefruit Mentos. And Qoo. Sweet, sweet Qoo.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I've only ever tried pocky once while I was at a convention.(w00t Akon 17 in one week!) It was nothing special, kinda like a differently shaped cookie. With that said I hate elitist otaku that bash others for liking anime they hate or enjoying dubs over subs.

Kuroyume

Banned
I wonder if Japanese people eat Slim Jims while watching our shows like ¡Mucha Lucha! and Static Shock.

I doubt it.

Mandoric

Banned
Exceptional non-messiness while handling things like DVDs and game controllers, and an interesting variety of flavors (say, caramel frosting, which I've only seen otherwise on butterscotch crimpets) that just don't pop up in other mass-market junk food.

That said, it's not worth anywhere near the prices some people pay, especially when one can get chocolate-covered pretzels, effectively the same damn food when made with rods or sticks, at a much more modest rate.

(Also, the stereotype of crazy American fanboys as the main market that assigns any significance to the stuff is somewhat off; a fixation on it is starting to develop into a moetic attribute, as seen in shows like Please! Teacher and Rozen Maiden, which indicates either a marketing plan or more likely it having fed back through Japanese fandom.)

bjork

Verboten said:
Rock Lee's not that thing. I can just fashion it around another belt. I like making/editing my own accessories.

Rock Lee?

I figured you liked it because of Ino wearing it that way... since, you know, Ino's special move and all. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom