• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with Sega?

Sega made money putting their games on the Xbox. Shenmue II deal, the first Holiday Bundle deal, free advertising and promotion of Panzer Dragoon Orta, etc.

I see no reason for Sega to not put their games on the Xbox since it's the easiest platform to port to due to the higher RAM it comes with.

I personally don't see why anyone would care.

M3wThr33

Banned
Or so says the man with his username as an Xbox title.

The fact is that Sega's Xbox games sell like crap compared to everything else. It's just a waste of investment and development.

Can anyone pull up some Sega sales figures?

bionic77

M3wThr33 said:
Or so says the man with his username as an Xbox title.

The fact is that Sega's Xbox games sell like crap compared to everything else. It's just a waste of investment and development.

Can anyone pull up some Sega sales figures?

That is what I thought as well (not including the Sega Sports titles).

Eh, it makes the Xbox owners happy, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of business sense unless MS is really paying Sega that much money, in which case it does.

jarrod

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Sega made money putting their games on the Xbox. Shenmue II deal, the first Holiday Bundle deal, free advertising and promotion of Panzer Dragoon Orta, etc.

I see no reason for Sega to not put their games on the Xbox since it's the easiest platform to port to due to the higher RAM it comes with.

The false market Microsoft provides Sega on their platform won't help them in the long run. Sega needs a real market who'll support them, they need to build a fanbase now that can sustain them as a publisher or else they'll eventually go under.... short term deals are just that.

And while royalty/bundle/advertising incetives might be lucrative on XBox comparatively, they don't count for much when the games themselves still fail to perform and development costs aren't recouped. Just ask Smilebit or TJ&E Productions.

M3wThr33

Banned
Yeah. MS isn't going to fund Sega for an eternity. When they DO stop this support, Sega's going to realize it has an empty fanbase and that they could have been actually been trying to develop a following elsewhere. No one else is stupid enough to fund Sega to release non-selling titles.

xsarien

daedsiluap
CrimsonSkies said:

Well, for starters, especially during the XBox's launch, it became apparent very quickly that hard-core Sega fans either didn't buy an XBox, or just didn't care about the titles that Sega ported to that system after the DC's demise.

Sega bombed hard with a lot of their early support, it's why you're not seeing dedicated games for XBox anymore. Toejam and Earl 3, PDO, House of the Dead 3, Gunvalkyrie, Crazy Taxi 3, and stand alone sales of JSRF and Sega GT. All bombed. Bombed hard.

Hell, the only reason Outrun 2 is coming out is because it was built on Chihiro, and Sega found a company willing to do the port for them (not that I mind.)

It was the first big blunder of Sega's 3rd party life.

jarrod

Banned
Microsoft hasn't even funded Sega software on XBox outside PSO & Shenmue II actually... all development costs were burdened by Sega alone, even for exclusives. In return they got lowered license fees and free advertising on games that almost all failed to perform at retail. Microsoft also threw together the JSRF/Sega GT bundle to salvage their relationship after Sega's first round of XBombs, I guess that counts for something...

"or just didn't care about the titles that Sega ported to that system after the DC's demise"

That's probably it. These titles weren't exactly the greatest. What's the one franchise that would have sold on Xbox? Virtua Fighter. The sports games should have done better, but it appears that the more casual Sega fans that went to the Xbox decided to either try EA's or Microsoft's games for a change.

"In return they got lowered license fees and free advertising on games that almost all failed to perform at retail."

Oh they got nothing out of the deal. Isn't the norm for 3/4th of a publishers portfolio of games today (with the exception of a few) to bomb at retail. That's a damn good deal they got.

"Can anyone pull up some Sega sales figures?"

Please do. I get a laugh everytime I see it for all platforms.

Alcibiades

here is a post of mine from another thread.

I have taken actions, so should other Nintendo fans...

As you know, Sega is slowy ditching Nintendo, even though it's been it's most friendly supporter for it's Japanese titles...

my plea to Sega

http://www.sega.com/support/support_csonline.php

Why are you making Super Monkey Ball for XBox but you aren't giving Gamecube loyal fans Jet Set Radio Future or Panzer Dragoon Orta or GunValkyrie.

Looks like just like Acclaim did with Turok and Squaresoft with Final Fantasy you want to betray Nintendo fans that were first in line to support your new venture as a 3rd party and call a truce on an old rivalry, but now you're just putting games on PS2 and XBox.

I bought Super Monkey Ball on launch day Sunday back in 2001, and I did is to show my support for Sega after reading how on igncube.com how much Sega liked the Gamecube, but now you've turned your back.

I ask, WHY?!

I wouldn't mind if the other systems got the games also, but you are also giving them EXTRA content, and doing the same with Sonic Mega Collection. Why?

Also, why don't you bring the games on XBox and PS2 to Gamecube like Shinobi and Virtua Fighter.

You really lost my respect and many other Nintendo fans. If you don't believe me got to message boards, and in fact if you change your mind and put games like Panzar Dragoon Orta and Jet Grind Radio (or JSRF) game on Gamecube we'd support you again and buy those games at $50 and not wait for drops in price like fans of the other systems.

Also, I bought a Dreamcast and Sega Saturn AFTER I got a Gamecube and encouraged my Nintendo friends to do the same cause we liked Sega after they gave us Super Monkey Ball and Sonic, but now we might change our minds, but we'd really like an explanation.

-thanks,

then I get this reply:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

The console manufacturers advise Sega which games they want made for
their customers. We honor their advise.

Information about future Sega game releases is shown at our web site.

Just go to www.sega.com and select Sega of America. Future releases
are given by Title, by the Platform, and by the ESRB (rating).

Please visit this site frequently to get the most current information
about Sega and Sega games!

Sincerely,
-Sandi
Sega of America Technical Support

this was actually a second e-mail, the first one was an automated or quick response one I think, and it told me if I wanted a specific response, I'd have to respond to that e-mail, but surprisingly, they responded anyway...

I wonder if Nintendo knows that it can advise Sega as to what games it wants on it's system...

"we honor their advise", yeah right, more like "we honor their moneyhats, in the form of endless 30-second ads on MTV and Comedy Central"...

Sho Nuff

Banned
As I'm playing Monkey Ball on my Xbox, I will be thinking of the whiners in this thread, and it will make the gameplay experience all that more sweet.

Evil%20Laugh.jpg

Alcibiades

How about we wait for sales numbers first for Sega's port-a-thon...

Also, how long before we see another Jet Set/Grind game or Panzar game.

Before people criticize my stance, let's see what lies in Sega's future.

Miburou

I bought a Dreamcast and Sega Saturn AFTER I got a Gamecube and encouraged my Nintendo friends to do the same

A lot of good that will do Sega.

f you change your mind and put games like Panzar Dragoon Orta and Jet Grind Radio (or JSRF) game on Gamecube we'd support you again and buy those games at $50 and not wait for drops in price like fans of the other systems.

LOL, I wonder if Sega could sue you for talking out of your ass and speaking for every Gamecube owner, when those games (if they were to be ported) don't do any better on the Gamecube.

Sho Nuff

Banned
efralope said:

Dude, can you just not afford an Xbox / PS2 or what? There are lawns to be mowed, you know.

Saturnman

Banned
efralope said:

It doesn't need to sell nearly as much as on NGC, it just needs to turn a profit which is easier as a port.

BuddyC

Bluemercury said:
I was actually thinking of buying MK2 for Cube but now........
Yea, I picked up SMB during the TRU dealio, but now I may hold off on 2 since Deluxe has those extra levels...

Sho Nuff said:
As I'm playing Monkey Ball on my Xbox, I will be thinking of the whiners in this thread, and it will make the gameplay experience all that more sweet.

Evil%20Laugh.jpg

LOL...my thoughts as well. Some people aren't happy unless they have something to cry about.

Alcibiades

Sho Nuff said:
Dude, can you just not afford an Xbox / PS2 or what? There are lawns to be mowed, you know.
I can, but I can just as easily go for Capcom/Namco GCN exclusives instead of shelling out $150 for a new system. I have limited time on my hands anyway, I'm probably better off spending money on games already on GCN.

The Nintendo fanbase extends beyond the internet. I have a friend that wanted an XBox just for Panzar Dragoon and later Fable, but he instead we got other games, like Soul Calibur, Billy Hatcher, and Tales of Symphonia (I don't have that one yet).

Sega's games have a lot of appeal to the "non-mainstream" Nintendo audience IMO.

Sho Nuff said:

:) This forum needs a rolling smiley. Btw-if it'll make some of you babys feel better,I need both my lawns mowed,theres money to be made yaknow.

Sho Nuff

Banned
efralope said:
I can, but I can just as easily go for Capcom/Namco GCN exclusives instead of shelling out $150 for a new system. I have limited time on my hands anyway, I'm probably better off spending money on games already on GCN.

You could probably gain a lot more time by not writing lengthy letters to Sega and posting about it here.

Alcibiades

Saturnman said:
It doesn't need to sell nearly as much as on NGC, it just needs to turn a profit which is easier as a port.
I bet a Jet Grind Radio (DC), Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX), or Panzar Dragoon Orta (XBOX), GunValkyrie (XBOX) and/or Shinobi (PS2) would have turned profits for Sega if they were released on more than one system.

OK, so moneyhats are good, that's been established, but that doesn't change the fact that the fanbase for particular games isn't going to go beyond what they've sold (Shinobi and JGR did good numbers though). Sega was thinking short-term gain and not long-term market growth.

Look at EA and Activision, they put games out on all systems for the most part, because they see it important to grow the number of people that are playing their games.

While that would support the notion of finding another hundred thousand or so gamers to take up Monkey Ball on XBox/PS2 (seems reasonable at a discount price), it doesn't fit in with Sega putting some of the more valued franchises on a system with a userbase that's just going to ignore them...

Some of you are funny,I mean that in a good way. Sega's fanbase are all over the place nowdays,not just on a GameCube. I've been a freak for their games since I played Zaxxon in the early 80's. I know what the deal is,I realized that I had to buy all consoles if you want their love,youre not going to get it by crying and writing letters to them. Be happy that theyre supporting the GBA,DS and GameCube if you dont want to buy other platforms.

Saturnman

Banned
It's one of their games that works on one particular system and the team behind it decided to spread the love with the expectation it can make more money for them. I think that port is kinda late, but there is no history of Monkey Ball games on non-Nintendo systems so I guess it's worth a shot. I don't see it as building the franchise on other systems, it's just about making a quick buck.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
efralope said:
Also, I bought a Dreamcast and Sega Saturn AFTER I got a Gamecube and encouraged my Nintendo friends to do the same cause we liked Sega after they gave us Super Monkey Ball and Sonic, but now we might change our minds, but we'd really like an explanation.

You've got to be shitting me...

Sometimes I really wonder if you're a joke character, efra. :)

snapty00

Banned
MetatronM said:

You've got to be shitting me...

Sometimes I really wonder if you're a joke character, efra. :)
Got to be. Either that, or he's just so cynical that it can't be detected by mere mortals.

Alcibiades

I remember reading in GMR how some columnist said he already had imported Ikaruga, but was glad to see it coming to the US.

He said that although he already had his own version, he was going to buy another one simply to support the company and the release of such games here in the US.

WOW, WHAT A JOKE THAT GUY WAS?! Buying games from companies you support and wish to see bring out more of that kind or product seems pretty ok. I know people will usually get electronics or groceries and food from particular places because of loyalty and patronage, it's really not that uncommon...

Saturnman

Banned
Buying games you don't want or need out of brand loyalty is plain stupid (as is the case of your friend who bought a second copy of a game he didn't need).

BuddyC

efralope said:
I remember reading in GMR how some columnist said he already had imported Ikaruga, but was glad to see it coming to the US.

He said that although he already had his own version, he was going to buy another one simply to support the company and the release of such games here in the US.

WOW, WHAT A JOKE THAT GUY WAS?! Buying games from companies you support and wish to see bring out more of that kind or product seems pretty ok. I know people will usually get electronics or groceries and food from particular places because of loyalty and patronage, it's really not that uncommon...
toilet$.jpg

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fight for Freeform said:
This goes to prove my point. You'd rather have some kiddy arcade action, compared to a die-hard simulation. I can't blame anyone claiming that the Nintendo userbase isn't as mature as the others.

. . .

So you are saying that this "die-hard simulation" hockey game necessarily implies a greater "maturity" level in the person who plays it than does a person playing an arcade action title.

. . .

You, sir, are the EA of gamers.

Brofist

efralope said:

supporting a company is one thing. boycotting the others because you are a mindless brainwashed bot is another. right now there are plenty of Nintendo execs laughing about the likes of you and your "Nintendo friends", and getting plenty rich off it.

Alcibiades

Saturnman said:
Buying games you don't want or need out of brand loyalty is plain stupid (as is the case of your friend who bought a second copy of a game he didn't need).
that was a GMR coloumnist, don't remember which one though, but he made sense to me. I know Dragona and a few others are going to be buying Namco's Taiko Drum Master game (even before Konga) here because they want to support Namco bringing those types of games (in addition to the games been very enjoyable). I'm sure sending a vote of confidence through a purchase was in the mind of that Ikaruga fan.

kpop100 said:
supporting a company is one thing. boycotting the others because you are a mindless brainwashed bot is another. right now there are plenty of Nintendo execs laughing about the likes of you and your "Nintendo friends", and getting plenty rich off it.
better Nintendo, who has provided the games and entertainment I seek, than SEGA (or Acclaim or Midway), who aren't. I'm not going to boycott Sega, they still have some cool GCN games and even have GCN-exclusives that are great (even after Sonic and Monkey Ball ports), but the truth is, what, from SEGA, is there to look foward to for GCN owners. Heck, I'd be looking forward to Shinobi, Nightshade, Panzar, JGR/JSRF, and GunValkyrie ports.

The platform most supportive of their Japanese efforts is the one getting the least support now.

efralope said:
here is a post of mine from another thread.

I have taken actions, so should other Nintendo fans...

As you know, Sega is slowy ditching Nintendo, even though it's been it's most friendly supporter for it's Japanese titles...

my plea to Sega

http://www.sega.com/support/support_csonline.php

then I get this reply:

this was actually a second e-mail, the first one was an automated or quick response one I think, and it told me if I wanted a specific response, I'd have to respond to that e-mail, but surprisingly, they responded anyway...

I wonder if Nintendo knows that it can advise Sega as to what games it wants on it's system...

"we honor their advise", yeah right, more like "we honor their moneyhats, in the form of endless 30-second ads on MTV and Comedy Central"...

The ONLY way writing Sega will work is if the letter are Hand Written. Companies ignore e-mails because they consider e-mail the easy way. Hand written Letter take more time and effort, so companies pay attention more.

Prine

Banned
i thnk efra is the most extreme case of fanboyism iv'e witnessed. Its simply incredible to think one would go to such lengths to support a company.

Insertia

I haven't finished reading this topic, but the hardcore Nintendo fanboyism is almost sickening. I can't believe how fucked up someones mentality can become over videogames.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
efralope: I bought a Dreamcast and Sega Saturn AFTER I got a Gamecube.
Sega: We could have used that money when we were still supporting our systems. Thanks for absolutely nothing.

Enfralope, If you love Sega games as much as you say you would get a PS2 or an X-box now. Wew know you won't because of your Blind Obedience to Nintendo, but if you did like Sega game you wouldn't let it not being on a Nintendo system stop you.

Alcibiades

dog$ said:
efralope: I bought a Dreamcast and Sega Saturn AFTER I got a Gamecube.
Sega: We could have used that money when we were still supporting our systems. Thanks for absolutely nothing.
ok, so how am I supposed to get excited about their upcoming games? the best way is to play what they've got.

I bought Chu Chu Rocket, Samba de Amigo (+ 2 maracas), Sonic Adveture, Sonic Adventure 2 after hearing Yuji Naka say "Sonic would choose to be on GCN".

So, after seeing how cool Sonic Team's games were, I also bought Chu Chu Rocket on GBA, Sonic Advance on GBA, and Billy Hatcher later on GCN.

My favorite Dreamcast game is probably Jet Grind Radio (had been excited and intriuged by the game since E3 2000, but I fell in love with it once I bought it. Is this good for Sega, or bad (a friend did the same thing, he bought a DC, not sure if before or after GCN, but as long as it wasn't Sony it was pretty much not an issue for Nintendo fans from what I can tell)?

Good, since having played Sega's games, I was like a born-again Sega fan (having had a Genesis late in the game w/ about 5 games). I was now buying their games for new systems (GBA + GCN at least). How does a consumer gaining SEGA's confidence from a defunct console and games not help Sega at least a little bit.

Even Nintendo recommends looking for NES and SNES at used games stores since they are no longer carried by retailers...

Saturnman

Banned
efralope said:
that was a GMR coloumnist, don't remember which one though, but he made sense to me. I know Dragona and a few others are going to be buying Namco's Taiko Drum Master game (even before Konga) here because they want to support Namco bringing those types of games (in addition to the games been very enjoyable). I'm sure sending a vote of confidence through a purchase was in the mind of that Ikaruga fan.

What? Some of those people are actually running GA? It's way overdue for a purge. :)

Alcibiades

sonic4ever said:
Enfralope, If you love Sega games as much as you say you would get a PS2 or an X-box now. Wew know you won't because of your Blind Obedience to Nintendo, but if you did like Sega game you wouldn't let it not being on a Nintendo system stop you.

um, how is buying an XBox or PS2 going to help Sega, it's buying their games that help. I was still buying their GCN/GBA games at a good rate. I wouldn't have time to play them all anyway, and I'm sure some of their XBox/PS2 games are as good as some 3rd party games on GCN. Besides, I'm also a Capcom/Namco at least a little bit, so my funds are only going to go so far. Also, I heard JSRF was a game not as good as the Dreamcast JGR. I got a copy cheap, and would buy it for GCN if they had it, but not worth the purchase of an extra system from what I can tell...

"Enfralope, If you love Sega games as much as you say you would get a PS2 or an X-box now. Wew know you won't because of your Blind Obedience to Nintendo, but if you did like Sega game you wouldn't let it not being on a Nintendo system stop you."

I wonder if this was happening to the market leader there would be so many comments like the one posted above this one.....

Alcibiades

Bluemercury said:
"Enfralope, If you love Sega games as much as you say you would get a PS2 or an X-box now. Wew know you won't because of your Blind Obedience to Nintendo, but if you did like Sega game you wouldn't let it not being on a Nintendo system stop you."

I wonder if this was happening to the market leader there would be so many comments like the one posted above this one.....

yeah, I don't see too many "well, if you are a true RE fan you would get a GCN no matter what"

what I hear is "Capcom made a mistake keeping it off PS2, and should bring it back if they want it to sell"

ourumov

Before continue this discussion I would like some of you to realize that not all ports have the same price which makes the things even more dramatic but understandable too.

GC received to cheap-development titles while PS2/XBOX received true killer apps in terms or cost of R&D such as JSRF/VF4. It's kinda clear where they have spent less money on R&D yet they have obtained the more benefits !
It makes sense to want to apply this strategy to the XBOX/PS2 markets as well.

Bluemercury said:

If Sega said tomorrow, " we are dropping the PS2 and X-box for Gamecube only". I wouldn't have a problem. I would get a gamecube. I don't own a loyality to a system, just Sega.

Top Bottom