What ungodly thing must I do so Netflix plays the credits & ends the episode cleanly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2013
I like endings. I like it when an episode wraps up, and the credits fade in, and the credits play to the end and the episode stops. It leaves me thinking about what just happened, and might happen next, and cleanly transitions me back into real life.

Netflix, however, does not appear to like endings. By default, when you finish an episode of a TV show, the next one starts playing automatically. I hate this. Yes, Netflix allows you to turn this feature off, and I have, but what they do not let you get rid of is this:

I. Hate. This. It annoys me at the end of every single episode, and largely ruins the impact of said ending. I have actually bought shows on iTunes despite the fact that they were available on Netflix just so I didn't have to see this screen.

By the way, you might have noticed I blurred some text in the above screenshot. I didn't want to inadvertently spoil episode 11 of House of Cards for anyone. Which brings me to another problem with this stupid screen—it shows spoilers! I try my best not to read them, but I'm often not successful—it's difficult to stop my eyes from wandering.

I seem to be the only person on the planet who cares about this. That's fine. What I want to know is, what must I do to get rid of this freaking screen? Are there any ridiculously outdated streaming boxes whose apps have never been updated? The Wii U used to work perfectly until about a year ago.

Dec 11, 2010
What's really annoying about Netflix is how it keeps shows in my "continue watching" list even after I finished them. There is seemingly no convenient way to just mark off an episode, season, or whole program as "watched". Usually it's fine episode to episode although occasionally it will fail to mark one off as watched, but for movies it happens to me all the time. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to actually delete it from my watch history.

Just mystifying.

BreezyLimbo

Banned
Jul 11, 2014
The last season of Supernatural had this issue where the intros were kinda messed up and it cut some stuff out of it on Netflix. It was annoying ._.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
I actually prefer this. Sometimes it doesn't always work and I have to manually go to the next episode. How and why? I'm not sure how it gets to be like that.

JC Lately

Apr 12, 2013
? What platform is doing this? I mostly watch Netflix on my PS4 or Wii U, and yeah at the end of an episode it tends to shove the credits in the corner and start a countdown to when it will auto-play the next episode, but that's easily halted by highlighting the credit window again with my remote/gamepad and pressing the Enter/A button. The the credits goes full screen again and the countdown stops. Is that not the same on every platform?

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2013
Hack a Wii U to install the old version of netflix? It did that and I friggen hated it.
Can you do that? That would be a great solution but I don't think it's possible. I certainly wish I hadn't upgraded.

it tends to shove the credits in the corner and start a countdown to when it will auto-play the next episode, but that's easily halted by highlighting the credit window again with my remote/gamepad and pressing the Enter/A button. The the credits goes full screen again and the countdown stops. Is that not the same on every platform?
Oh, you can do that, but I don't want to have to get up and press the button.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What's really annoying about Netflix is how it keeps shows in my "continue watching" list even after I finished them. There is seemingly no convenient way to just mark off an episode, season, or whole program as "watched". Usually it's fine episode to episode although occasionally it will fail to mark one off as watched, but for movies it happens to me all the time. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to actually delete it from my watch history.

Just mystifying.
this drives me crazy. get out of my list im done!

JC Lately

Apr 12, 2013
Can you do that? That would be a great solution but I don't think it's possible. I certainly wish I hadn't upgraded.

Oh, you can do that, but I don't want to have to get up and press the button.
Get up? Do you not have the remote/gamepad, like, right next to you? It's like two button presses. One of you're using the gamepad.

BobJustBob

Nov 28, 2005
By the way, you might have noticed I blurred some text in the above screenshot. I didn't want to inadvertently spoil episode 11 of House of Cards for anyone. Which brings me to another problem with this stupid screen—it shows spoilers! I try my best not to read them, but I'm often not successful—it's difficult to stop my eyes from wandering.
What's worse is the website (not the app versions thankfully) shows these episode summaries on the pause screen. I'm not a spoilerphobe but there is no reason why anyone would want to see the episode summary for the episode they are currently watching after they have started watching it. One of Netflix's many, many UI problems.

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2013
Get up? Do you not have the remote/gamepad, like, right next to you? It's like two button presses. One of you're using the gamepad.
Call me petty, but, well... look at this way: I consider the credits to be a part of the experience, in a way. So imagine if every episode paused 60 seconds BEFORE the credits. Yes, you could press a button to un-pause, but that wouldn't stop it from being annoying, and ruining a lot of dramatic moments.

If I had to get up, it isn't worth it at that point, I'll just back out and close the episode. The moment is ruined.

blamite

Dec 15, 2010
Chicago
blamite.tumblr.com
Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Doesn't Netflix also skip the opening credits/title sequence sometimes if there's no cold open? That's something I really hate. They might've removed that though, or maybe they turn it off if you manually rewind to watch the opening... Or maybe I just don't see it anymore since I don't usually watch stuff without a cold open? I dunno. I don't like anything that tries to skip parts of a show just because most people find it annoying. To me it's all part of the show, from the first second of the opening to the end of the credits.

Wowfunhappy

Jun 2, 2013
Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Doesn't Netflix also skip the opening credits/title sequence sometimes if there's no cold open? That's something I really hate. They might've removed that though, or maybe they turn it off if you manually rewind to watch the opening... Or maybe I just don't see it anymore since I don't usually watch stuff without a cold open? I dunno. I don't like anything that tries to skip parts of a show just because most people find it annoying. To me it's all part of the show, from the first second of the opening to the end of the credits.
The opening credits always play for me, but then I have autoplay next episode turned off.

Yeah, that would reeeeeally annoy me.

Aske

Jul 25, 2006
Canada
Trying to fix this problem via Google led me to this thread. Just watched episode 1 of The Oa, only to feel like I ran into a brick wall during the final shot, which wasn't even allowed to fade out before I was kicked back to the menu. I guess the reason everyone isn't complaining about this is because they have autoplay on? Does the transition from episode 1 into episode 2 feel less awful when you autoplay? Ugh. Netflix should be better than this.

Jul 3, 2008
PS Vue has an even shittier implementation of this, which you can't even stop (if you dismiss the timer, it still counts down, except the timer is invisible), and at the end of the series, it'll just play a random episode. I hate it so much.

It really makes the Netflix implementation not so bad in comparison.

a916

Jul 10, 2013

Just mystifying.
This might be a bug because I just finished a bunch of my regular marathons and they disappear from it right away.

TurboButts

Jul 28, 2015
garbage
I watch on my Sony TV's app. You hit the up button to highlight the credits, then hit enter.

Edit: nevermind. I missed that you want it abolished entirely. I dunno, write your local congressman

jambo

Sep 23, 2009

Just mystifying.
Had that happen during the holidays after watching a lot of movies.

Easiest way I found was to resume it, fast forward the credits to the end and then back out.

A mark as watched option, like Plex, would be perfect.

PSqueak

Banned
Jan 31, 2015

Just mystifying.
Ah, you see, the problem is related actually!

if you jump off the credits, it marks you as not having finished the entire episode, if i recall correctly.

Aske

Jul 25, 2006
Canada
Just tested the same show with autoplay on, skipping to the end of the episode. Counterintuitively, turning autoplay on prevents the episode stopping dead for four extra seconds before kicking off the next episode.

At least now the show runs into the credits rather than stopping dead, and gives me the four second countdown to continue them. That's four more seconds of credits than I get with autoplay off, which just shuts them down instantly with the jarring silence of the menu until I manually click "watch credits" to start them up again.

Still garbage, but four seconds more credits is better than zero; although I know I'll never be fast enough to actually grab the remote and hit the button in time to make the credits keep playing.

People who want to skip straight to the next episode should be the ones who have to push the button. "Yes, skip credits and play next episode." People who want to watch the credits and mentally end the show with a deep breath shouldn't have to scramble for the remote to stand a chance of not having their experience interrupted.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
May 17, 2005
Bay Area, CA
There's a lot of solid content on Netflix but as a platform it's woefully inconsistent across devices and frustratingly basic. Having The West Wing everywhere I go is worth it though.

VanWinkle

Jul 8, 2011
West Virginia
My biggest problem is automatically playing music when I'm hovering over a title. It was almost just as bad when it automatically started playing whatever I was hovering on. At least give me an option to disable that.

Shanks

Jul 24, 2006
Duluth, GA
If you log into your Netflix account on a PC, you can change this in the settings. It drove me crazy cause when you went to "more episodes" there was always a tick at the end not watched cause it jumped to the next episode so quickly.

I noticed this when I used to lower the quality for the streams on my account to come under my Comcast data cap. :-/

Sunster

Aug 28, 2015
I thought this thread would be about how if you back out of a show when it's over but the credits are still playing and the screen hasn't minimized yet the show will still be on your "Continue Watching" list. Drives me crazy.

Epcott

Oct 13, 2006
www.instagram.com
Also sucks when you're a few hours into binging and it asks "Continue Watching?"

And you're like "Get the hell out of the way so I can continue my vegetation!"

Sunster

Aug 28, 2015
Also sucks when you're a few hours into binging and it asks "Continue Watching?"

ikr. as if i have gotten my life together since the last time you asked me.

Jul 28, 2014
America

Not even a few hours if you're watching a sitcom! Watch three shows in a row and it asks you that question, making you feel like some sort of couch potato for daring to watch a show for an hour and six minutes :/

DavidDesu

Oct 26, 2014
Glasgow, Scotland
www.youtube.com
Agree. It's especially bizarre when their own Netflix originals don't match up with their auto-play feature. The OA just cuts into a credits audiovisual sequence that's very serene and makes you want to just soak up the ending, but it actually pulls you out of this even before a natural cutting point, artificially early. Hard to explain, you just need to watch it. It's very frustrating. I'd like them to tailor their own (indeed every show) to cut off/autoplay at an appropriate and seamless moment.

And yeah the spoiler titles and thumbnail frustrates me too. A show I'm really in to and I don't want even one single image to spoil an upcoming scene or a "well that character clearly didn't die then" moment!

pixelation

Nov 21, 2014
I hate that shit as well, i need to go and click on the fucking credits to make them go full screen again, shit should be optional. We are fucking paying for the service dagnabbit.

Extra Sauce

Mar 29, 2010
The bane of my existence as someone who has always considered credits part of the experience of watching a movie.

It's like a cigarette after sex.

Aske

Jul 25, 2006
Canada
The bane of my existence as someone who has always considered credits part of the experience of watching a movie.

It's like a cigarette after sex.
I have never smoked a cigarette after sex because I heard that sex gives you cancer, but I totally agree.

Polioliolio

Aug 30, 2012
I'm completely with you OP.

Immediately after an episode, I click back onto the video box and finish the credits.

Magnus

Jun 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I'm totally with the OP on this. I don't want to have to push a couple of buttons to make it work for me each time. I want the black screen, the credits, and the music to play out in full automatically.

Megabat

Sep 10, 2015
Every streaming service needs more manual control. And a "Don't Treat Me Like an Idiot" switch somewhere. It's sort of ridiculous that Netflix has a huge content library and subscriber base with below-par UX.

antibolo

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Canada
I hate it as well but I completely understand why Netflix does it, it does make perfect business sense for them. Makes you more likely to binge.

Status
Not open for further replies.