• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Media Molecule thinking with their Move tech demo?

gryz

Banned
my fiancee was pretty excited about the sculpting and movie making stuff. I thought it sounded kinda cool too. maybe some of you aren't in the target audience for this?

Zoe

You don't see the PS3 beside it? seems like this might have been a Move.me project or maybe the PS3 is being used for it's motion tracking of the Move controllers since the device tracking chip isn't in the PS4 devkits yet.

I see something standing next to the tower, but it doesn't look like a PS3 to me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They should have just shown LBP3 or something like that. I have no fucking clue what the hell they were trying to show in that demo.
I'm not sure how you can say these two things in the same breath...have you ever played with an LBP game before? This is clearly an extension of the creation/sculpting tools they introduced in those games, just more freeform and extensible.

ASIS

I'm not sure how you can say these two things in the same breath...have you ever played with an LBP game before? This is clearly an extension of the creation/sculpting tools they introduced in those games, just more freeform and extensible.

hint: If this was presented using the dual shock 4 no one would have complained.

Oh and if they didn't show the last part either.

Pociask

Man, finally got a chance to watch this bit. This looks freakin awesome. Why all the hate? It's the natural evolution of what they've been doing. It's like the best version of Mario Paint ever - easy content creation, animation, etc.? Yes please!

As im a creative person I loved the modelling stuff, specially when they showed the small city model. Trully impressive stuff.

Apart from that, the wii music like thing was tremendously bad.

Dibbz

this. Basically ZBRUSH for the masses. The only problem is: the masses want, or have knowledge, to do anything with ZBRUSH ?

That isn't the problem. People love creating things. MM like to make it as easy as possible to do so. It's like a stepping stone into the world of 3D creation which is a great move imo, because it will open eyes for many people.

The game aspect must be strong though. That is where MM will be judged in the end.

It's just sad that all the talent at that studio is being wasted on a project like this. I guess it's neat for kids in that 3-6 year old range, but come on...I've still got Mario Paint I'll just stick with if I'm looking for this experience.

Dibbz

It's just sad that all the talent at that studio is being wasted on a project like this. I guess it's neat for kids in that 3-6 year old range, but come on...I've still got Mario Paint I'll just stick with if I'm looking for this experience.

Yeah I forgot kids make the games we play every day. All those characters, environments, assets. All made by kids for kids. Get out with that shit.

gryz

Banned

lol well I guess there's no need for this game to exist since someone else already made a creative game 20 years ago.

Laranja

Definitely the most disappointing part of yesterday's presentation.

I still have no idea what they were on about. Who cares about sculpting? They seem to have focused too much on the designing creation tools and have forgotten about the game part. I really hope whatever they're working on for the PS4 has nothing to do with what was shown yesterday.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Who cares about sculpting?
Content creators. Game developers, aspiring game developers, simple hobbyists, etc. They don't have to be a majority to be an important part of the gaming ecosystem. You want games, democratizing some of the content creation tools is certainly going to help. Look at LBP - people have generated millions of new levels with the sculpting/design tools offered by those games alone.

I'm worried Sony kills MM by making them their gimmick whore...
The mini game game on Vita (ok it's charming ok..) then this...

MM Sony's Rare confirmed?

The console Zbrush seems like it may have potential
for penises
. Though I don't think it necessarily will be particularly popular. Could be very interesting if you could export it to one the Autodesk apps or Zbrush.

However the music part didn't make sense to me. Was clearly not what they were saying it was. I definitely felt like the MM section was where the most bullshit was being spewn.

It reminded me of those pointless downloadable Kinect tech-demo mini-apps. Didn't see the appeal at all, nor how it had any relevance to the PS4 announcement.

Regardless, I still think LBP is massively over-rated (even if my gf disagrees). Mm has a lot to do to prove they're not just a one-trick pony.

injurai

Banned
This was easily the worst part of the show.

The second being Squenix pussy ass presentation. Why did they even come.

Their tech demo couldn't even follow up Capcoms...

Yea, MM embarrassed themselves and Sony. I was utterly confused to what they were doing and why time was being wasted on the move controller at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Didn't get it either...

eXistor

I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the demo. It being the middle of the night didn't help, but I came away simply having no clue what it's about.

DR2K

Banned
The 3D sculpting looked cool, but I don't actually understand what the end part was.

They emphasized that it was "live" and "shot in one take"--what was? The animations clearly weren't procedurally generated. It's possible the movements of the controllers had something to do with what was happening, but even then I'm not sure. Also the music obviously had to be pre-baked since it was too technically complex to be generated from simple button-pushing. They said it was just a concept rather than a game, but I don't actually understand what the concept was either.

Acid induced dream making.

lol well I guess there's no need for this game to exist since someone else already made a creative game 20 years ago.

I never said it shouldn't exist, just that it isn't for me. Like I say, I think this game will have great appeal to children. I could see myself loving it if I were 25 years younger. It's just not targeted at probably most of the people who tuned into the conference last night, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll see.

todahawk

The angry tear gassed guy from Sucker Punch who hates police officers is still my highlight of the PS4 event. But this was a nice call back of Wii Music.

LOL, yeah, when they zoomed in on his face I thought the dude was gonna snap.

I forgot about the crazy musical number at the end but I laughed and didn't find it embarrassing.

The 3d sculpting was amazing to me. I honestly can't wait to try it. Like a big virtual lego set and you can make your own 'bricks' and assets.

I would've loved to see how the interaction works with it but it definitely caught my interest in a big way.

Stampy

As I see it, this is a concept for game developer/ movie making 3d tool.

It is very akin to the LBP on a more advanced level.

The sculpting portion is basically 2D drawing in LBP. You can draw/sculpt whatever you like: worlds, characters, objects.

Then they hinted at a music tool. The music was probably created in it beforehand and played in background during the second part of the video.

I believe the focus of the second part was to show how you would orchestrate a scene with the created characters/objects/music.

Judging by how LBP goes, there was probably a lot of work done beforehand to set that scene in order to enact that video in live (sculpting characters, objects, creating music, setting lights, shaping joints, maybe prerecording certain movements or positions, and then mapping it all to buttons, in order to be able to accomplish that performance in live presentation). Maybe they themselves were goofy, but if what they achieved was real and controllable, then this is really something else. It seems they will totally focus on creativity in their next project, and they showed that nicely, although sadly the message was maybe not that clear, judging by all the people screaming wiimusic.

On the other side, it looks to be too fucking complex. It is open, it spurs your creativity, but with such powerful creation tool, I just can’t see how the casuals will buy into this, plus the necessity to have Move controllers is a whole another death trap. This is an amazing tech for casual creators, but I don’t see how will they package it successfully into a final product that’s sellable to masses.

I think a lot of you are confused about what this is (and I guess you can fault MM for that). It is a tech experiment, not a game. The best comparison would be to Mario Paint. You know how you could make short cartoons in that? That's what this is at the moment except to the nth degree.

Don't get confused by the music part. They were not playing a mini game that plays out the music. They were creating an animated short with music in the background.

noah111

Still Alive
Yea, MM embarrassed themselves and Sony. I was utterly confused to what they were doing and why time was being wasted on the move controller at all.
Disagree, the only mistake was using a puppets demo when they could have used anything else. Like a short promo vid of a guy in an empty white infinite space, with a PS move, creating structures around him, and sculpting the environment, etc. That would have made more sense and been a lot more appealing.

You guys are just:
a) hating
b) don't know what they are showing

They are showing you can create fully 3D characters and models, and even map them to your tracked body. They controlled the pitch/yaw/direction/position of the character with the move. They also mapped specific limbs to different move controllers. One woman used her two move controllers to control the hands of a drummer while it tracked her face for general head/body movement.

It's great, and haters just hating.

Laranja

Content creators. Game developers, aspiring game developers, simple hobbyists, etc. They don't have to be a majority to be an important part of the gaming ecosystem. You want games, democratizing some of the content creation tools is certainly going to help. Look at LBP - people have generated millions of new levels with the sculpting/design tools offered by those games alone.

I don't know the numbers, nor would I even know where to check for stuff like this, but I'd be willing to bet the LBP user-created levels worth playing through were made by less than 10% of the people who own and played the game, and none of them would have bothered if the it had been terrible.

My point is that the people that would make good use of the tools is much, much smaller than the ones looking for a game to play, so why show the tools without the game? They exist to complement the game, not the other way around.

Also, I'm sure no real game developer will ever use the tools shown, at least not in any real, game-developing way.

I actually liked the sculpting part. If it works as advertised I could see myself spending some time with that.

I have to say that I got kind of excited when they showed that because I thought they would follow up with more cool ideas. For example, since the Wii came out I always wanted some sort of Elektroplankton in 3D, something like that would have been cool to see.

Instead they showed some shit puppet game where you basically just move the wand like a preschooler playing with barbies. I said WHAT THE FUCK out loud when I saw that.

Super lame conference in general but Media Molecule really took the cake.

Stampy

so why show the tools without the game? They exist to complement the game, not the other way around.

There are people interested at what mm are doing (hence why they would appear at the conference).

Since their philosophy is to first create the tools, and then later on create the game using those tools, I think it is pretty clear why we didn't see any gameplay, even more taking into account that those tools are probably still in R&D phase.

Amir0x

Banned
I kinda see potential, if MM has what I have in mind. Basically minecraft but more realistic and with characters you create. If you take it further along LBP/LBP2 design philosophy, then you can think about basically creating your own game. It will be dumbed down and stream lined for sure, but something like RPG maker or something. Of course that requires adding kinetics to the 3d modeling and I'm sure some sort of that will be there, though very simple. The possibilities are there. Imagine an RPG where your main character is a giant cock, and your quest is to find a hole.

I can see the sort of directions they'd go with it, certainly, just not sure unless they really flesh it out it'd be worth the time, unless it's just a cheap PSN goof around title, as I said

I'm worried Sony kills MM by making them their gimmick whore...
The mini game game on Vita (ok it's charming ok..) then this...

Isn't Media Molecule founded on the whole premise of making cool things with gimmicks?

A small talented team of people based in Guildford, who were brought together by fate, destiny, and recruitment agencies, and who love nothing more than making innovative and creative video game doodads for you to play with. Also ice cream.

making innovative and creative video game doodads

That's literally the thing they want to do. Sony isn't making them anything, you know.

Shinta

Banned
They spent 2 years to get to that point. That's the really sad part.

It's not compelling. Modeling in thin air is not something that sounds like fun for me.

The music thing was really, really horrible. The drums didn't even sync up with the hand movements. There's no way Move movements can simulate a guitar without most of it being entirely automated, let alone a keyboard ... so what exactly are they doing here? Just flailing around with pre-set sounds, and rhythms triggered automatically so it resembles a song? Not to mention they all had two Move controllers, so you need like 10 Move controllers to simulate that awful scene.

Then there's the puppets. How many people want to mimic dancing as a couple with anyone other than their significant other? It's a little creepy, especially with 4-5 people all playing out the same weird fantasy. Where does this lead?

I just still can't believe I saw this kind of a demo, in 2013, post Wii Music. This was a low point for the entire gaming industry.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I just saw this as LBP with more control and full 3D reign over everything. It seems like more freedom and control, and with the community LBP had, I could see this becoming something completely astounding.

Raziel

I had no clue what their entire demo was about, nor did I devote any mental energy to understanding it. I saw the puppet rock band part and thought "oh this is that really embarrassing part of the conference that gets gif'd" and just tuned out the rest. Announce a game, show a trailer, and I'll listen again. In any case, I hope someone breaks into their offices during the night and takes a baseball bat to all their Move related equipment.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To me this was the highlight of the event. The demo did little to me, but what it implies is full of potential. First it shows move still has a future on PS4. I always like being able to reuse what I have, so this is cool. Then it showed its use will be enhanced. If it was a real recording, I'm impressed. The new PSEye seems way better at handling latency. Basically, this move compatibility, creativity and differentiation is what could make me prefer a PS4 rather than a more powerful Steambox.

Durante

Holy crap are people tough to please in this thread. You'd think they killed somene on stage reading some of these posts.

I thought the sculpting stuff was amazing and awesome -- it's actually something I've wanted to see n some form ever since Move was introduced.

The other part was harder to understand in terms of what they were going for, but I really don't see it as the crime against humanity that some seem to.

Ploid 3.0

Definitely the most disappointing part of yesterday's presentation.

I still have no idea what they were on about. Who cares about sculpting? They seem to have focused too much on the designing creation tools and have forgotten about the game part. I really hope whatever they're working on for the PS4 has nothing to do with what was shown yesterday.

Custom character, object, enemy, environment creation in LBP3 or whatever play create share game they make next. No longer have to rotate shapes to cut out chunks of a square block to build your objects, enemies, environment like LBP1 and 2. This is a tool they created. It looks good at making stuff.

Top Bottom