• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the final verdict on TombR AoD?

Cafeman

Funny you ask today, I just noticed it is $12 new at Babbages, locally. I thought, "I loved TR1; TR:AOD certainly has to be worth $12 of fun!".

But as I reached for it, the angel on my right shoulder speared the devil on my left shoulder, so I didn't get it.

Pimpbaa

Not great, but not as bad as the reviews would suggest. Gameplay is the same as every other tomb raider, and this one actually has a new engine so the graphics are considerably better than the previous games in the series.

davis

Its not as good as 1/2 but some levels are fun then a couple will have you saying wtf happened. If your a fan its not bad I had the PC version though. Thought it was better than the last couple.

Does the word garbage ring a bell?

My PS2 works like a charm with every game I rent.

My Ps2 just wouldn't take the damn game.

Finally played at a friends house.... god my PS2 was right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought it was the best in the series, though it didn't have the impact of 1 and 2. Mostly very good level design, VERY good visuals, nice puzzles, and an incredible soundtrack. The storyline was actually pretty interesting as well...

Problems? There are glitches in the game, though I didn't encounter many (only 1 major one involving a trailer). The rest of the game worked perfectly for me. Many people seemed to have issues with the controls, but when you learn them, they are much easier to use than the previous games (the steady walk is VERY useful). I'd also say that the first few areas in the city are a bit dull and broken up by way too much loading.

I really had a good time with it for some reason. The new elements are a bit weak, but they don't really hurt the game...

I'd say buy it...but play with an open mind. Too many people gave up right away and ended up hating it.

I did not beat the game but I'll offer what observations I made.

It looked good an had an interesting story. Good cutscenes, some interactive. The early French town simply had an atmoshpere aoat it that the other Tomb games lacked. The level of detail in the scenery made me enjoy the old gameplay for a while.

The hub sections require frequent, long loads. There is no excuse for the controls to still be so unresponsive after all this time. I lost my enthusiasm for the game when Lara breaks into a closed nightclub and shoot rents-a-cops; it lost the intrigue and gained a less appealing action-movie quality

If you've played the new Prince of Persia, or maybe even the new Gaiden, then I don't think you'll be able to stomach the leftovers that AoD brings with its geniunely good aspects

Top Bottom