• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first game you actually found morally objectionable?

onken

It could be a number of things - over the top violence, price gouging on "collector's" editions, content obviously cut for DLC - you name it.

For me personally it would have to be Ultimate MvC3 being announced less than 6 months after the release of vanilla - that shit is just unacceptable. Close second would be the new Sim City - I loved this series but still haven't bought the latest entry due to the online DRM and the straight-up lies they told to justify it, awful stuff.

flkraven

Finding out that the Battlefield series had become annualized a week after picking up the sloppy mess that was Battlefield 4.

Alx

Soldier of Fortune. I remember trying a demo booth : I shot an ennemy, and saw him crumple on the floor while screaming in pain. I felt slightly sick and left at once.

King_Moc

Banned
Probably How to be a Complete Bastard on my ZX Spectrum, so around the late 80's. You had to fill your bastardometer by committing morally objectionable acts. Though you can go too far. You get arrested if you electrocute someone with a car battery.

I couldn't stomach the older 2D GTA games and the 3D ones were even more offensive. I'm not desensitized to violence and those games just hand out cruelty like its candy. Kingpin and Soldier of Fortune were also really bad.

Tymerend

Since I haven't yet heard about a developer actually murdering or raping someone and putting the FMV into a game, I haven't found anything morally questionable. The stuff inside the games is all digital, so it'd be a bit like saying a thought could be immoral.

Mesoian

Postal. I know that it's supposed to be funny, but honestly that sort of sense of humor is something i've never subscribed to.

"Let's shove the rocket launcher up the cat's ass and fire it! HILARIOUS!"

I was bummed out to see Dave Foley do the Postal movie. I know he has his reasons, but he's so much better than that.

Whaaaat? Does such a thing exists? (I don't want to see any proof though...)

Beating, eh...not really.

Groping, oh yes. They're coming back in style.

Content wise? None that I've played. Artistic expressions of violence and other unsavory things are not objectionable in the least from a moral standpoint. Although I'm sure there are plenty of weird rape-y games I'd think were in very poor taste.

devonodev

GTA V, my characters were doing things I didn't agree with and there was nothing I could do about it.

Also with how real the streets felt, this was the first game that made me feel a bit bad for some of the people I ran down in my car. It wasn't much, not enough to stop me running them down, but it makes me wonder how things will be when the technology in games is way more advanced than it currently is. As it is, there's a lot of people who can deal with violent games but not movies.

I have it, but can't bring myself to play Hotline Miami.

I hear great things about it, but I'm a little repulsed by the idea of just running around murdering for the sake of murder.

I haven't played the game yet, but that's the impression I got from it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Don't know a specific name or anything, but just about the only thing I find morally objectionable in gaming is really those games obviously aimed at pedophiles.

Sir TapTap

The dreadful moment when I realized I had installed like 10 "tap the buildings for coins and wait for the coins to refill" games on iOS. And that's what almost everything was. Abandoned the entire platform in disgust after loving my iPad. Gross, samey garbage.

Edit: I also find the rubbing minigame in Monster Monpiece morally objectionable
because it's really boring and you can't skip it if you want to collect upgraded/sidegraded cards

Whaaaat? Does such a thing exists? (I don't want to see any proof though...)

Assuming this is a deliberate misrepresentation of games like Senran Kagura (where you "beat up" women because you are a ninja and they are other ninjas and ninjas fight). Some jokes from Katsurugi aside there's no groping that I'm aware of though.

Prototype. At least in GTA you can choose to be homicidal, but in Prototype the civilian casualties are extreme and senseless. Then he goes to visit his sister in her apartment after killing thousands of people and they both act like it was nothing.

yaffi

Since I haven't yet heard about a developer actually murdering or raping someone and putting the FMV into a game, I haven't found anything morally questionable. The stuff inside the games is all digital, so it'd be a bit like saying a thought could be immoral.

Euphoria would like to have a word with you.

Am I even allowed to name the title of those games? If not, say so.

edit: Just don't google it.

Probably GTA 3. The first time my character walked near a cop and my character flipped him off and then I proceeded to shoot someone in the face and then run across the street and beat the person with a bat, laughing hysterically. Yeah I knew the game was morally objectionable lol.

But hey, thats what games are all about. Doing stuff you could never / would never, do in real life.

The CoD (can't remember which) where you mowed down civilians at an airport. There wasn't a lot of value in having that level, in my opinion.

Vlade

None overtly.

Picturing getting "morally" outraged over any entertainment seems like a stretch for my brain.

I would say that in that case you are likely not appreciating the sway that entertainment and it's related business has on very large groups of people.

Entertainment is as fine a place as any to have principles and discuss them.

Probably How to be a Complete Bastard on my ZX Spectrum, so around the late 80's. You had to fill your bastardometer by committing morally objectionable acts.

Got it on an Amstrad Action Covertape. I was of the toilet humor age so didn't find it objectionable at the time, still don't really. (Putting clingfilm over the toilet set and turning into a cooker :D).

Only game to make me sit up and question what I am doing has been GTA:V for that very infamous scene...

Kosma

Banned
I have it, but can't bring myself to play Hotline Miami.

I hear great things about it, but I'm a little repulsed by the idea of just running around murdering for the sake of murder.

I haven't played the game yet, but that's the impression I got from it.

You actually kill bad guys only

dugdug

Banned
Final Fantasy VII

I could tell from the first minute I met him that Barrett was a pretty stereotypical / racist character.

Top Bottom