• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

Nod goes to Betrayal at Krondor. Such a great RPG that tries to do a lot of things differently.

Really need to replay it, I never quite finished as a teen.

1993? There's only one correct answer: Doom.

Played it so much I didn't see my long distance gf for over 3 weeks. She broke it off. I didn't notice. 2 weeks later she begged me to take her back. I didn't notice. Would lose gf over Doom again.

(Why does that read like a Steam review?)

KonradLaw

Gabriel Knight
screenshot1319-2.gif

Followed very closely by Myst. I'm torn on 1993, sometimes I pick Myst, sometimes GK. This moment I feel it's GK :)

venomenon

My 1993 self says:
WWF Royal Rumble

Besides SMW, it was the main reason I sold my C64 and got a Super Nintendo instead. As a 7-year-old mark it was the greatest thing ever. Nowadays, I like to deny that any wrestling games existed before the N64 era... the Acclaim/LJN games were so bad in hindsight.

My current self prefers Link's Awakening, Super Mario All-Stars and SF2T. Aladdin on Mega Drive was surprisingly good too.
edit: Streets of Rage 2 was released in 1993 as well? Then it gets my pick as I still play it every now and then.

Reminds me that I need to schedule Secret of Mana for the next local co-op night. I never really played more than the first 2-3 hours of it.

Kickz

Easily Super Mario Allstars

We need another edition for Switch consisting of Super Mario 64 thru Super Mario 3D World

Sam and Max Hit the Road and Doom for me.

Doom has cemented a place as one of my favourite games of all time, but would love to revisit Sam and Max Hit the Road, the older me would be able to get further in it!

when i read the thread title i thought Doom even before clicking and reading the list.

A lot of great games came out that year, but my answer is still Doom

Cleve

Link's Awakening. What a great game. I can still remember playing it vividly.

Dark Wizard on scd as a runner up. Never owned it myself, but loved playing it at my friend's place.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Prince of Persia
Flashback
Madden 94
Myst

I know one thing ...I dont think I can ever pick one favorite. Maybe for a year after 2007.

I played the hell out of Madden, but I loved Myst. And Flashback. And Prince of Persia...

1. Day of the Tentacle
2. Zelda: Link's Awakening
3. Street Fighter II Turbo
4. X-Wing
5. Flashback
6. Turrican 3
7. Super The Empire Strikes Back

televator

My actual, in real time, favorite was NBA Jam. Basketball was BIG at the time in my area. Being able to dunk in the most absurd ways all in your friend's face was just something special. lol

This is just a complete knee jerk response but seeing road rash 2 on that list and not voting for it would feel wrong

God that game was fantastic

Still hate viper

Unpopular opinion, but I'd probably pick Star Fox. I played the crap out of that game when it came out.

Honorable mentions for Doom and All Stars.

Edit: I didn't play Doom in 1993, I played it several years later on a Windows 95 machine. I think I may have felt differently if I played Doom that year.

witness

Doom

By a country fucking mile. I turned 10 that summer and I thought t was the coolest game ever. Me and my dad took turns and played this thing endlessly trying to discover all of its secrets. I'll always remember that black DOS screen and typing DOOM to load the game.

Ooccoo

DOOM is one of the most influencal games in the industry and was a revolution
ok, that was Wolfenstein 3D but still

Peltz

Are we stating what was our favorite game from that year was at the time or what is currently our favorite game that came out that year? The answer is different depending on the rules. At the time? Probably Star Fox. I didn't own a Super Nintendo but I'd go to a friend's place just to watch him play it. The polygonal visuals were simply mesmerizing.

Out of all those games, however, Links Awakening is my favorite today. I didn't play it until much later on though. It's absolutely phenomenal.

You forgot one of Sierra's finest, OP:

3RvFBmO.png

(although this cover is for the CD-ROM version that came out in '94, the original floppy version came out in '93)

U2ufwMK.gif

I didn't play it until '94, so my GOTY in 1993 was Secret of Mana... but holy hell... some amazing games released that year.

Doom.

Although I had experience with many of those SNES games, especially during get-togethers. Street Fighter rounds being common. And taking turns playing Star Wars.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh!

One thing I loved about the original release of Link's Awakening was that there was a glitch that you could use to skip over a screen using well-timed presses of the Select button. It enabled alllll sorts of sequence breaking. Too bad it was fixed in later versions.

kunonabi

Not much of worth in that list so my answer is Flashback for the Genesis. I imagine my real answer would be an arcade game.

Fake edit: yep, fatal fury special.

Tik-Tok

Even with all these amazing games, you'd be hard pressed not to give best game to what top 3 best Zelda games, Link's Awakening.

Three way tie because each of these are completely different animals.

1. Secret of Mana - Still holds up great today
1. Doom - What can I say? It brought FPS to the masses. Remember that the former term for FPS was Doom clone.
1. X-Wing - Yes it came after Wing Commander, but this was more iconic in its graphic direction and complexity.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Doom (PC)
Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD)
Flashback (GEN, PC)
NHL '94 (SNES, GEN, SCD)
Pirates! Gold (GEN, PC)
Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (GEN)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
Looking over the list, here are my favorites

Narrowing it down...

1. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. NHL '94
3. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
4. DOOM
5. Ecco: The Tides of Time

King_Moc

Banned
Hmm. Doom, Street Fighter II Turbo and Links Awakening. That's tough.

I'll probably plump for Doom.

It would be Super Mario All Stars, but greatest hits don't count.

Rival

Gold Member
Well Pirates! Gold for Sega Genesis is my favorite game of all time so I guess I'll go with that. There are a ton of my all time favorites from this year. I was spoiled and I think my dad bought me about 15 games for Christmas that year. I still have them all.

Klart

Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive).
NBA JAM (Mega Drive) (you could save an account (with a password) and your local leaderboard!)
Street Fighter II (Mega Drive).

shandy706

As always I can not pick just one...brb...going to try and narrow list. I played a TON of these...sigh..

Disney's Aladdin
Doom
Ecco the Dolphin
Mortal Kombat
Myst
NBA Jam
Star Fox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-Wing
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Yep...that's probably as close as I can get. I actually played nearly every game from A-Z. I guess I'll do the "games I spent the most hours on" in bold again.

Kinan

Oh, god, what a year it was! Really hard to judge what is "best". What criterion would one even use after all these years? Long term industry impact? Personal time played? Quality of art/music? Achievements in programming? How did it age? No idea, really. Also nostalgy doesnt help at all.

As a mostly PC player back then I missed on many gems, some of those I was able to experience only relatively recently, so it also skews perspective. Hopeless, but I try anyway.

1. DOOM. Well, it is the game for which I installed an over-the-air coaxial cable connection to my neighbor so we could play it regularly. Distributed as a shareware over Fidonet which helped to propel its popularity to cosmic levels and created all that modern market for FPSs.
2. Day of the Tentacle... Sleepless nights, several months of puzzle solving/guessing/desperate pixel hunting. Still remains one of the best adventures of all times for me.
3. Mortal Kombat. If Doom was the king of LAN parties, MK was the go to local multiplayer at that time. Bloody good times.
4. Master of Orion. This came in like a comet and ate those night hours like it was nectar. I just gotta sent some colonists on that planet so they can repel the invasion, let me count the turns.... What, it is 3am already?
5. X-Wing. I do not think I'm only one here who bought a flight stick/joystick for this game and didn't regret it. Space sims would probably be much less popular today if not for X-Wing/Tie Fighter nostalgy.
6. XCOM. I thought it came out later, but maybe USA version did come out in 1993. no idea. Anyway, this game introduced my young soul to "addictive punishing", the feeling I forgot I like until Demon Souls came out. Only I had way more time back then to bath in it.

Honorary mentions:
x. Secret of Mana
x. The Lost Vikings
x. Sam & Max Hit the Road
x. Prince of Persia
x. Flashback
x. Disney's Aladdin

Yep, that was a good year. Diverse lineup, bold experiments, network play and 3D graphic advances. Good year indeed.

Top Bottom