• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

Mr Git

It's not in the OP - Ishar 2: Messengers of Doom was absolutely my favourite game of 1993. Second favourite from that year was Blake Stone - also not in the OP!

KodaRuss

Another pretty damn good year. I guess Doom but Star Fox and Mortal Kombat were just great as well.

Myst is also up there but Doom still takes the cake.

Nyx

Looking at that list there's a lot of great games I played that year!

Picking one favorite is hard, but if I have to I'll say Secret of Mana.

I remember being disappointed that it did not have FF's turnbased combat, but the story, music and characters pulled me in and made me finish the game. Especially the music was soooooo good.

Could have named games like Day of the Tentacle, Flashback, Lemmings 2, Mortal Kombat, NBA JAM, Jungle Strike, or Rock 'n Roll Racing too as I remember them all fondly.

In fact, why the hell did we never get a new Jungle Strike/Desert Strike game? Those were awesome!

Well Pirates! Gold for Sega Genesis is my favorite game of all time so I guess I'll go with that. There are a ton of my all time favorites from this year. I was spoiled and I think my dad bought me about 15 games for Christmas that year. I still have them all.

I think I never played the Gold version, but the original Pirates! game from 1988 iirc is my favorite game of all time as well. High five!

inner-G

Banned
Mowed yards to get Mortal Kobat that year on layaway

Played a lot of DOOM also. Man that shit was scary, we were kids and we'd play it with all the lights turned off for atmosphere, lol

Ploid 3.0

If Snes was out then, probably Super Mario World. I remember having to stick to a select few games when I was a kid. SMW was good enough, it had co op, and was good with replay factor.

I played all of these years later but here they are

Alien 3
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Mario All-Stars (I thought this launched with the SNES)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

I played Zombies Ate My Neighbors for the first time last year and it's pretty good. I never beat it because the game damn long for its genre. Alien 3 was bad, I have fond memories of NBA Jam on the SNES and arcade, Street Fighter II is that shit. The first MK was okay, but Super Mario All-Stars is a great collection, all those games... shoot.

Gigarator

I was only 5, but of the games I have played over the years that released in '93 I think Sonic CD would probably be my choice.

ghibli99

Good year that I honestly don't remember very well... lots of excellent games that I played much later in life. The hell was I doing?! Struggling through my first two years of college, that's what.

Anyway, I'd have to say Gunstar Heroes, just because of the impression it had on me. Treasure was doing shit on the Genesis I thought previously impossible. Man, I miss them.

Genesis boxes that year though, were complete ass. That color scheme was turrible. :(

Qwark

Easy one for me, it's gotta be Mortal Kombat. It was the start of a series that I spent quite a bit of time with. There's some other games that stick out, EVO, Gunstar Heroes, and Secret of Mana, but a lot of the other heavy hitters, Doom, Myst, Link's Awakening, never really had much relevance for me.

Sojiro

Oooh tough one between Secret of Mana, Mortal Combat, and Links Awakening, I would say Doom as well, but I know I didn't play it in 93, it was a good bit later on the SNES. Out of the ones I listed, I would have to give it to Secret of Mana, but it barely edges the others out....Man did I love SoM and was heartbroken when Seiken Densetsu 2 never made it over.

Well top three would be:

Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
Secret of Mana
Doom

A buddy of mine actually had SoM and Doom, but we would play the heck out of them. Links Awakening is probably one of the games I've ran through the most. I got to the point where I could get through everything in under a day.

Herne

mayhem-grab-1.jpg

mayhem3.jpg

Mayhem in Monsterland, C64.

Sam & Max: Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle and pretty even for me but if I had to choose one as my favorite from that year it'd be Hit the Road.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gunstar Heroes, Link's Awakening, Streets of Rage 2, and Secret of Mana were probably my favorites that year... not as good as 92 or 94 but still a helluva year!

Oneself

Good God, so many great games.
I could do an endless list of runner-ups but I'll leave you guys with a top...4?

1. Secret of Mana
2. Starfox
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Streets of Rage 2

Arkeband

Banned
  • Ecco the Dolphin (GEN)
  • King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)
  • Myst (PC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (GEN)
  • X-Men (GEN)
Hell ya.

OP doesn't have:

• Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron
  • SimCity 2000
  • Dare to Dream (Cliffy B's point-and-click he doesn't want anyone to remember)

piggychan

Definitely had a lot of fun with the SNES and Genesis games and also gotta add:
Bomberman 94'pc engine.

iirc thanks to games like Day of the Tentacle, a time when pc hardware accessories such as soundblaster soundcards and CD-Rom drives were beginning to take off.

Brandson

Secret of Mana was a revelation to me at the time. I remember renting it without knowing anything about it. I bought it right after returning the rental and was totally immersed in it for a while. I wasn't aware of the connection to Final Fantasy Adventure back then, despite owning and beating it too. I still keep SoM in my games drawer with current generation games. I was so disappointed that we never got an official Secret of Mana 2 release, and Square took the series progressively downhill after that.

Flashback was incredible too, but it's Secret of Mana for me.

'93 seemed especially strong for Mega Drive/Genesis owners. Some really iconic series made their debut across arcades, PC, and console.

Won't actually pick a favorite game, because I'm only here to make observations about an interesting gaming year.

UncleMeat

Great year but I have to go with Mortal Kombat (genesis). It gave my little brother nightmares which of course got me in trouble, lol!

These are cool threads.

woopWOOP

Lol, that's an oldie

Some good stuff in there, a lot that I played way later and still held up, but not a lot that really jumps out at me as an obvious #1 favourite from that year.

Super Mario All-Stars was bundled with my own SNES, altho we already owned SMB 1-3 on NES. I enjoyed seeing the variations in the new stage backgrounds.
Doom was my go-to game at my aunt's place. Never got far (and only played with cheats on), but shooting down moving targets was always entertaining.
Lemmings 2 (for SNES) is another game I generally just dicked around with, screwing around with the many selectable powerups in training mode. If this game came with a level editor it would've been my #1 game for that year, easy.
I know Bubsy is considered a failed mascot, but I didn't hate that first game on the SNES. Amusing death animation variations and a pretty catchy OST.
I was pretty bad at Star Fox, but flying through the deepness of space and into a giant space station was amazing.
Lost Vikings is one of few puzzle games I actually liked. Probably because it also has platforming...
E.V.O. was a great concept and had some of the weirdest secrets.
Sam & Max was my first point & click game. Couldn't get anywhere without a guide, but the amusing cutscenes were worth it.
Rock 'N Roll Racing, Sunset Riders and Gunstar Heroes I played years later and were still really fun with 2 players.

But I think my #1 favourite from that year would be Sim City 2000. It was such an awesome upgrade over the original. 3D-ish side view! Hills and highways! Those water pipes that I could never get to work! I was too terrible to play it without money cheats, but I still enjoyed randomising a mountainous map and try to build a city on it with tunnels and bridges all over the place.
Being able to fly around your cities in Sim Copter years later was also incredibly neat.

Danneee

Most of my best gaming memories are spending hours planning logistics in The Settlers, being amazed by the shareware version of Doom, finishing my first point & click (DoTT), multiplayer Road Rash 2 and memorizing weapon placements in Jungle Strike.

DryvBy

What a great era on games. Didn't know Ecco was THAT old though.

I played Doom when it came out (or rather watched my dad play who was using a flight stick/joystick). We played a lot of graphic adventure games as a family so King's Quest might be my best overall memory.

edit: BLAH!!! Ok, DOTT is the game. Definitely. Maybe. Very likely.

farisr

Oh wow, So many great games.

I disqualified all re-releases/ports from that, and ultimately I'd have to give it Shinobi III. Absolutely loved that game.

Man alive, what a year this was...my brother and I spent HOURS playing NBA Jam and NHL '94 DAILY.

Why did my parents ever let me do that...!?!?

Thought I had, is Super Mario All-stars the first incidence of a 'remaster' on consoles?

Anyway obviously gunstar heroes is the best game

EDIT: also road rash sucks

This year was amazing!

The games I had more fun with was Batman Returns, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II Turbo, Gunstar Heroes.

My favourite is probably Gunstar Heroes.

Top Bottom