• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8one

appleii-system.jpg

Apple IIe was the first, we also had an IBM XT near the same time my father used for word processing. Remember playing David's Midnight Magic pinball a lot on it and Lode Runner. I was pretty young so I missed classics like Ultima and Zork. My best friend and next door neighbors family had a C64 and his older brother got myself and my friend into a ton of great C64 classics.

I'm all nostalgic now. Miss those days.

Misha

Banned
First I used at home was a Macintosh (can't remember which version. at the very least it was black and white) which i'm pretty sure was my dad's first

First I personally owned was an ASUS eeePC netbook from like 2008

Sinoox

Banned
You guys are #oldasf

My first computer was a Compaq Presario CQ50

bEYH0pf.jpg

I was 14 when I got it because it was only about $400. Can't believe it took that long to get my own PC. Before that I was using my Wii's internet browser to go online. My mom had two generic computers (throughout my life) with Windows 98 and Windows XP on them. I wasn't always allowed to use her computers though so I wouldn't consider them mine.

First computer: commodore vic-20
vic20.jpg

First PC: Tandy 1000 EX. Another Team Tandy here!

Tandy_1000EX.jpg

CPU 7.16 mhz 8088
RAM 256 k
Video CGA with special 16 color mode
Sound 3 channel beeper
Drive 360k 5 1/4 floppy

The Tandy 1000 ex was the first computer I upgraded. I upgraded the ram for 256k to a full 640k. I mostly did that to play Test Drive II. I also added a 3.5 floppy and a 1200 baud modem. The floppy drive gave me the ability to play games without swapping disks. I even upgraded the cpu to a 12 mhz 8088 but by then it was past due for a new system.

zeelman

First computer was a Macintosh Performa. This bad boy.
P6400.jpg

First computer of my own was a Gateway with an FX-3500 and a Radeon X1300.

TheMan

packard bell p75. Fond memories of doom, diablo, a-10 cuba (demo) and fx fighter on that thing. Came with a cd containing a trailer for rob roy and the video for buddy holly by weezer among other things.

Ziffles

AT&T 486SX-33
4mb RAM
Cirrus Logic VESA video card with 512k vram
2x CD-ROM
2400bps modem
Came with a monitor and a dot matrix printer for $1800 (nearly $2900 today) in late 1994.

I think we may have gotten a bit ripped off.

Packard Bell with 486 CPU. My first computer that belonged to me was a Dell Dimension 8200 with 2GHz Pentium 4, 768 MB RDRAM, and ultimately a Radeon 9700 Pro. Fuck yeah.

IBM Aptiva with a 486DX2/66 with 8MB of RAM. It didn't run all the latest and greatest very well but I had a lot of fun with it for the 2 years I had it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It wasn't really my own computer but my house had an 8086. Monochrome monitor and so on. I learned basic DOS commands on it and that was about it.

DonMigs85

First PC was a Pentium 133MHz with 32MB RAM, can't even remember what the video card was. I got that in early 1997.

Second was a hand-me down Pentium II 333MHz in 1999 with a lousy S3 ViRGE, then in 2001 I got another hand-me down Athlon 550MHz with 256MB RAM. I put a GeForce 2 MX in that.

There were 2 other computers in the house.
But this one was the first that was personally mine. Want to say 8 years ago.
ltRpLpSXiYnFIrdB.large

Lebon14

Mine was like a Celeron 700MHz with what... 64MB of RAM, a dedicated sound card, a 3DFX graphic card, 20GB hard drive and a CD-R burner. To top it off, it came with the awesome Windows Me (sarcasm). At one point, I even managed to format it and put Windows 98SE lol. Don't remember the brand though... if it had one.

EDIT

Personally mine? It was a laptop I got at college. An Intel CPU @ 1.7GHz (Pentium M I think), 512MB of RAM (which I upgraded to 1GB later), 100GB of hard drive, integrated sound & video. 1367x768 screen. CD-DVD read/burn. Toshiba-branded. I remember sending it once on warranty 'coz the cd/dvd drive stopped reading and burning stuff. ANd I sold it for 600$ and bought PC parts (Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 8500)

Hip Hop

Some kind of HP desktop in 2006 or 2007.

Had 1GB of RAM.

My friend let me borrow IIRC his 7800GT once, it was great!

A 286. My exact first command: play final fight. >.> It also had some buried 'game' in the CMOS which you access by holding down f2 (I think?). Anyone remember that?

dpunk3

My mom had computers, but I never really paid attention to them until '05, when she got a Gateway with the newest XP OS on there.

2199-57.jpg

I ran house on that thing for years, between fucking with the OS and messing with the hardware to changing Windows permissions and settings without my parents knowing. I practically let them use the computer without their knowledge. Eventually the thing was on it's last leg so I scrapped it. Took the HDD out though, it's in my current computer running strong with ~6.5GB of programs installed on it.

lordmrw

My first PC was a Compaq Presario with a Pentium 133MHz processor with 32MB RAM and a 20 gig hard drive if I remember correctly. This was in the fall of 1999. That was soon replaced by a K-Mart branded PC with a 633 mhz celeron processor and 32mb of ram I upgraded to 128mb. I used that one for about 2 years or so.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think it was a 286 / 386 with DOS.
First one I ever built myself was a Athlon 64 300+ socket 754 when they first came out.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
An apple 2, I remember playing a few games on it. Battletech especially which I recall thinking was really cool but really hard.

I don't have any pictures, but it was a gray Gateway that ran Windows 95.

After Dad replaced it with a Windows 2000 desktop (since ME sucked), I was allowed to move it to my room. I was still very young to have a computer—6 or 7 I think—and I cherished the fact that I had my own computer, old as it was.

Not sure what the first one was, I know when i was very little in the early 90s that there was a PC i use to play some math game on.

i remember when we got a Power Macintosh around 94, I don't remember what model, but it was pretty cool.

286, want to say 12mhz, 20MB hard drive, VGA graphics, 2MB RAM (4?)

This was 1990 or 1991 and it was not a good game machine even then. Monkey Island 2 literally took half the hard drive.

It was a Dell tower. I forgot the model no.

Windows 95
Pentium 133mhz
16 MBs of RAM
1.8GB HDD
8x CD ROM Drive
3.5 floppy drive
28.8k modem
17" CRT monitor.
I wish I had it still, for nostalgia reasons. Sucks not having storage.

Edit: After some research, looks like it was a Dell Dimension Xps P133c

I remember its CPU was Pentium 133.
And another thing I remember is the keyboard. it had Windows key, a key that lots of keyboards didn't have those days!

That's a tough question!

-Desktop
-386. Can't remember the processor speed, but there was certainly a Turbo button. 66Mhz->99Mhz perhaps?
-8MB RAM
-Floppy drive
-Not sure if I had Windows, as I seem to recall running everything from the DOS prompt.
-HDD, unsure size. Maybe 300MB?
-Modem, hell no.

nasax

My dad bought us some IBM computer(I couldn't give you specs or model number because I was like eight or so and remembering that is kind of crazy but my dad did say it cost like $1000 in 1990 money.) It was monochrome and had like eight floppy disks of MS DOS which I could never figure out why it has so many disks. It also had a big ass book that taught you GW Basic which was over my head at that age.

My first computer that I bought with my own money was some Compaq Presario that I used for AOL and all that, back in the late 90s for high school.

Then my first built computer had a AMD 2600(?) with a Voodoo 3 2000.

Atari 400

membrane keyboard with an electronic tick sound from inside the casing with every key press. 16k memory, cartridge slot for games and programmes, loading games off audio cassette or 5 1/4" floppy drive. It had 4 controller jacks that took standard 2600 controllers (sold separately- you can guess how that went down on Christmas Day 1982!). It had games that were much nicer than 2600 games with really nice versions of Space Invaders, Star Raiders, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc. You could get printers and modems (the sort where you had to put the phone receiver into a dock)

It also had shit like Maze of Death.

Traded this after 2 years for the bigger 800 (proper keyboard, 48k and 2 cartridge slots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom