• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most expensive purchase recently?

Greedings

Man, that’s a down payment on a property or a respectable investment in a business that could be making you recurring income right now. I mean, most couples I meet that have extravagant weddings are young really can’t afford it. It seems like a lot of pressure on the marriage. Anyway, I’m nobody to judge but be careful bro. I’m hoping you had some financial help from the bride and her family.

Oh yeah, at least 1/3 was the bride. I mean, it only took me a year to save up that much money, and I basically just cut back on excesses like eating out at restaurants every week and buying things I don't need.
I can easily save a down payment for a house, but I'm not in a place where I'm ready to buy yet.

Also, to be fair, we got back like 50% of the cost in the form of cash gifts from friends and family.

Most expensive? My home... 87k managed to pay it in cash at 21 yo, I'm so proud of myself
Gotta love cash buys, don't they feel great?

I hope you saved enough for the inevitable "Oh shit the furnace" or "Oh shit the hot water tank" type of failure that's guaranteed to jump up your ass in the next year. Ours was a furnace the first winter in the house, mid February in PA. Not a good time!

highrider

Banned
We used to have one here in Louisville. It was amazing, but for some reason it closed down.
Louisville? Nice, if you’ve heard of Bob Hook Chevrolet that’s my uncle. I used to work at his dealership every summer, now his son’s are running it.

mekes

I grabbed the new ipad pro recently and had a 3 week holiday. Other than those I've been behaving myself so far this year. For the most part.

TTOOLL

New dinning table and sofa table....around a thousand bucks converted from reais. My house is starting to look like a home.

Next big purchase: an engagement ring. I'm doing it, Gaf!

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

Rolex Datejust 41mm with custom face. 11.5k
2oika6X.jpg

How is it being part of Jeff Bezos's family?

I'm about to buy a new car (for the first time - I've always been on used before this). Looking to be around $25k for what I want.

Fortunately my bills are very low so I'll still be in the black after this.
what do you have in mind.
14k on a tattoo.
Rolex Datejust 41mm with custom face. 11.5k
2oika6X.jpg
you guys shoult take note on these fellas below.
Just bought myself an apartment.
Most expensive? My home... 87k managed to pay it in cash at 21 yo, I'm so proud of myself
i'm proud of you.

thief183

There are vast swaths of the US where an $87k house is probably two stories, three or four bedrooms, and possibly on a nice chunk of land.
I'm not american, I live in Italy, with 87k I bought a floor of a rural singular home, it is 90 mq it has a kitchen, a bedroom, a main room that is 7m x 7m and a small toilette ^^ It is in the middle of a lot of fields, so no sounds or disturbance, It is a nice spot that I could rent to some turist cause I'm 5 minutes from Assisi.

I think in america prices are way higher.

PS4 Pro i guess but i didnt pay it up front but its on in store credit where you pay a small amount every months. Like $15/month.

Paltheos

Current list is:
Civic EX
Civic Touring
Insight Touring
Forte EX

All sedans, all 2019. Aiming for an economy compact vehicle with some dressing to it. The newer Civics look like damn sports cars and look especially fantastic in that Aegean Blue.

Nothing finalized yet. I'm in that mode where I'm devouring media and information to inform myself as much as possible.

gatti-man

you guys shoult take note on these fellas below.

i'm proud of you.
I paid cash for my Rolex. I own a 550k home off a lake in an Austin suburb and have a full IRA/HSA as well as investments and a paid off car. Would you have gotten you jimmies rustled less if I posted my pinball machine I bought? Part of working hard is enjoying the fruits of your labor.

RSLAEV

$260 for an MSI Aero GTX 1070. I had to get a small form factor card to fit in a Dell Optiplex MT case

I_D

I needed a new roof ($5k) and fridge ($1.5k) in the same month :(

That's incredibly cheap for a roof. Make sure you're getting good materials before you purchase. A roof isn't the kind of thing to skimp on.

I also recommend going to Sears and checking out the "damaged" appliances. Usually it's just a slight scratch or a mildly dented corner or something, and they'll knock half the price off.

GreatnessRD

$120 for the Sony Platinum Headset

Hope its worth the price. Done already spent about $400 over the course of the PS4's life with the Gold Series because of its convenience.

lil puff

Broken Samsung S6. Bit the bullet and got S9. $599, but on payment plan absorbed into monthly bill. I wanted the S10. I had no idea these phones were this damn expensive. I barely use the phone.

A reverb plugin that emulates the room at Capitol Records. I couldn't resist. $349. I didn't even wait for the sale. It sounds lovely and I am considering redoing the song I'm working on to replace all my reverbs and mix it in.

I cannot even imagine putting a down payment on a house in this market.

fucking hell i hope you're buying farm animals too or the territory is sufficiently elevated
I'd show it to you, but I don't want to people knowing where I live. It's got a nice blend for everything - woods for hunting, a lake for fishing/boating, and enough clearing to have a decent sized farm. It's an absolute steal for the price.

lil puff

I'd show it to you, but I don't want to people knowing where I live. It's got a nice blend for everything - woods for hunting, a lake for fishing/boating, and enough clearing to have a decent sized farm. It's an absolute steal for the price.
When do we all get invited LOL

Shelbutt

Hmm...I haven't really been spending much money on things lately so within the past few months the only thing that comes to mind is I bought a Rammstein hat for my best friend for her birthday. it was like $30 plus $20 for shipping

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While not super recent, the whole process of getting married. Ring, wedding, honeymoon. It added up to about 50 grand in total. I'm super lucky that just tightening my belt meant I could afford it, but I man do I miss living like a person with disposable income.
You paid what for your wedding? Why??

Top Bottom