• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Emily was clearly his "source" on it. Just read this: https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/730475395208876033.

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/730496083386716160

@CartridgeGames @ArcadeGirl64 @ColdBlooder and not having enough 14nm yield from Foxconn to meet projected demand for holiday 2016.

LMAO

As I said, nobody really knows what they're talking about. It would be nice if someone with actual technical knowledge would get some spec info so we could actually get more out of it than assumptions and bad paraphrasing.

(For anyone who doesn't get it, Foxconn doesn't fabricate chips.)

So is 10k just a sorta-convincing autodidact? Asking because I'm not a technical person. Not even talking about the NX stuff, more the explanation of what Polaris is in the blog post.

I feel like we need verified tech professionals in these threads...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thank you Trev but it's not going to stop them from doing it. Liam and Emily like watching us little people freak out over their vagueness than actually posting solid information.

Emily was clearly his "source" on it. Just read this: https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/730475395208876033.

I swear, I can't see how. You mean because she said that the delay mentioned by Orgen was a complete bullshit? Just due to that? I fear what could have happened is that 10k took that tweet and went all out with the Nintendo played us like a damn fiddle" thing, I don't see her having talked with Kevin consequently.

I swear, I can't see how. You mean because she said that the delay mentioned by Orgen was a complete bullshit? Just due to that? I fear what could have happened is that 10k took that tweet and went all out with the Nintendo played us like a damn fiddle" thing, I don't see her having talked with Kevin consequently.

Did you hit show more? I'm guessing you didn't because you missed this tweet:
@ColdBlooder @CartridgeGames @ArcadeGirl64 well Emily explained it to me privately. I take back everything I said. My theory is wrong.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So is 10k just a sorta-convincing autodidact? Asking because I'm not a technical person. Not even talking about the NX stuff, more the explanation of what Polaris is in the blog post.

I feel like we need verified tech professionals in these threads...

We have some. I know a bit due to my major, but I'm not an expert. The professionals basically came to the same general conclusions as me, but they're way more skeptical because, well, it's Nintendo.

Is he just talking about the reason for the delay, or is he now saying that Polaris is out as well?

Meesh

Ya know... And I'll admit I'm inebriated, but all I care about at this point is who the frack is supporting this thing!!!

Is there Final Fantasy, Shenmue, Beyond good and evil 2... What's going on with NX support??!!

Mpl90

Oh, my bad then. Sorry if I didn't read everything earlier. I don't get why he didn't specify in the article it was Emily, then.
...Wait, this means that Emily heard it was 2017 all along, doesn't it? Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, my bad then. Sorry if I didn't read everything earlier. I don't get why he didn't specify in the article it was Emily, then.
...Wait, this means that Emily heard it was 2017 all along, doesn't it? Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

Jumping to 10k's conclusions is usually wrong, So I would hold the jump for now.

daakusedo

Ya know... And I'll admit I'm inebriated, but all I care about at this point is who the frack is supporting this thing!!!

Is there Final Fantasy, Shenmue, Beyond good and evil 2... What's going on with NX support??!!

About that one, I made a post earlier explaining why it seems pretty shaky.

Bge2 is not taken for granted but not far.
It comes from an obvious faker and about destructoid having their own source, it's the same writer that reported on the first nx rumors from dual pixels about hdmi dongle and all and threw the same comment "For what it's worth, much of this info does line up with information I have heard from a separate source."
So confidence is not much high for me.

Mpl90

Jumping to 10k's conclusions is usually wrong, So I would hold the jump for now.

...Yeah,I'm sorry to say it, but I wouldn't completely exclude the chance he magnified what Emily told him, whatever it was. It's kind of Liam Robertson's (or his source's) gimmick, when you think about some of his rumours, even if in a different direction (Liam tends to give a negative spin to the rumours he posts).

Is he just talking about the reason for the delay, or is he now saying that Polaris is out as well?
I believe just the delay but it doesn't really matter; he knows less than Jon Snow.

10k has never been upfront about his "sources". As for what Emily has or hasn't heard, no one knows and it wasn't right if her sources claimed 2017 was always the plan. What we do know is Trev/MetalDave got his hands on legit documents that have been right on everything except that the NX and Zelda would be releasing in 2016 which means the plan wasn't changed until sometime between the last direct and the financial briefing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's not the case as has been talked about with many other examples. It's in their interest to rent the same floor space they always do, because if they don't, they may lose the right to it and others snatch it up for future years.

It's perfectly possible Nintendo knew the NX wouldn't be at this year's E3 when they registered.

You are making alot of assumptions with zero proof except your gut vs someone who has actually heard things from people in positions to actually k ow those things.

If what he says about this Zelda being a turning point for the series, it could easily justify the floor space. Floor space, which I emphasise should NEVER be used as evidence of anything. Half of that both is going to be lines to play the damn thing.

Don't do this, guys. 10k was wrong. He was banned. He's doing the exact same things that got him banned--the exact same things that weren't true.

Here's a pretty relevant new video from Trev/SuperMetalDave 64:

Nintendo NX "Insiders" Wasting Your Time

In summary, he's saying that our "insider" friends should be reporting things they can back with hard information or other research, not making ambiguous, vague statements.

That article had a lot of factual errors (talking about NX & Neo getting revealed at the Tokyo Game Show). Also the note about the CPU being improved and not a Jaguar chip contradicts what Digital Foundry/Giant Bomb reported about the spec sheet.

I wouldn't take that as fact, especially since we can't vouch for the reliability of the site.

I agree with young travy on this one.

I'm sorry I love Emily and 10K but these rumors have been so wack and so lame. Its like they are coming out of thin air.

"Keep your expectation in line for NX specs." EXCUSE ME? In line with what exactly? And WHY? These are all some vague statements that you cant even get a conclusion with.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Emily reacted to the insane speculations that caught a lot of traction. Yes, her tweets were not very clear either, but I think the purpose was not to replace a rumour with another rumour.

She wasn't shy of sharing info in the past, but probably given the importance of the NX related info, she really needs to be 110% sure before sharing something, if indeed she has info. This kind of thing can blow up to catastrophic proportions, as we saw with 10k, with the fake controllers etc.

Emily reacted to the insane speculations that caught a lot of traction. Yes, her tweets were not very clear either, but I think the purpose was not to replace a rumour with another rumour.

She wasn't shy of sharing info in the past, but probably given the importance of the NX related info, she really needs to be 110% sure before sharing something, if indeed she has info. This kind of thing can blow up to catastrophic proportions, as we saw with 10k, with the fake controllers etc.

She is very close to being wrong soon I feel..the closer to being the wrong the more VAGUENESS we are gonna get so people dont lose credibility. Every single person so far has been wrong except Trev. I would say he was wrong about the release but he had way too much information that was correct to just end it there. Everyone else just flat out wrong. Has Orgen even came back to tell us what happened to him and his May reveal or whatever?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She is very close to being wrong soon I feel..the closer to being the wrong the more VAGUENESS we are gonna get so people dont lose credibility. Every single person so far has been wrong except Trev. I would say he was wrong about the release but he had way too much information that was correct to just end it there. Everyone else just flat out wrong. Has Orgen even came back to tell us what happened to him and his May reveal or whatever?

What was Emily wrong with now?

And yes, Orgen has explained what happened.

Yeah, it was as expected, a deeply sorry post of horse manure. trev66666666666666666666 is the only one that seems levelheaded in this batch of kooks. Even I don't believe some of his speculation but he doesn't pass it as real information when it's not.

Thraktor

People are placing far too much emphasis (at least on the home console side) on whether it's using a 14nm/Polaris chip. Nintendo's decision to use a 28nm/GCN 1.2 APU or a 14nm/Polaris APU (a decision which was likely made in late 2014, by the way), was based on the answer to the following question:

"For our target cost per chip, and out target thermal envelope, which will give us better performance?"

A 14nm chip will be able to clock higher within a given thermal envelope, and will likely get a bit of a performance boost via architectural improvements, but will likely still be more expensive per unit of performance than 28nm for some time yet. Hence why I still believe Nintendo will use a 28nm chip for the console, not because "it's Nintendo", but because it would actually provide better performance than a similarly priced 14nm chip for Nintendo's launch timescale. That said, I'm not in a position to know for sure what the answer to that question is, and particularly not what AMD and Nintendo thought the answer might be when they made the decision in late 2014.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I know that you still highly doubt 14nm though, so you're probably a bit less confident than I am.

While I think a 14nm chip for the home console is quite unlikely, I actually wouldn't completely rule it out for the handheld. There are a few reasons for my line of thinking on this:

• Dropping from 28nm to 14nm will give a much bigger boost to performance in a very tight thermal envelope (i.e. a handheld) than a high thermal envelope (i.e. a home console).
  • On low-yield fabrication nodes, die failures increase exponentially with die size, which means small dies tend to become feasible before larger ones do.
  • With Nintendo seemingly moving towards cross-developing games across home console and handheld, this job becomes easier the closer the two devices are in performance (i.e. the higher the performance of the handheld). Hence there's an incentive in reduced development costs to increasing the performance of the handheld this time around (usually the incentive is the opposite).
  • Similarly, Nintendo would have a much easier time cross-developing games for both their handheld and home console if they use the same GPU architecture for each.
  • With AMD very likely to provide the APU for the home console, this would mean using an AMD chip for the handheld.
  • It's unlikely AMD would be able to put out a competitive chip at such a low TDP on 28nm.
  • Conversely, AMD should be able to provide reasonable performance within such a TPD with a 14nm chip.
I wouldn't bet any money on the handheld using a 14nm SoC, but it's somewhere within the realm of possibility.

That's incredible information you two! I wouldn't have thought it'd be that close or exceeding them already. Any newer information/expectations that Nintendo will go this route instead of x86?

There's no reliable information one way or another, but many of us are assuming that they'll go with ARM for the console on the basis that (a) there are viable cores available for them like the A72 and (b) it would allow them to use the same ISA for home console and handheld, simplifying tools and OS development.

Well, then you also have to throw away any discussion on NX even being close Xbone, since Nintendo making a 80+W console after Wii (15-20W) and Wii U (30-35W) is laughable.

There are two flaws with this line of thinking.

The first is that Nintendo would never release a console with high power consumption. The truth is that after the failure of the Wii U we have no idea what route Nintendo will take, and Kimishima has explicitly said that NX is not a follow up to Wii and Wii U, so it's entirely within the realm of possibility that they've changed course and are now willing to target a 100W+ power draw for their home console to compete with Sony and MS.

The second is that using a 28nm chip means that a console with XBO performance levels has to have XBO power draw. Firstly, modern 28nm processes consume much less power than the early 28nm processes used by PS4 and XBO. It's not quite the same as a jump to a new node, but there are surprisingly large savings to be had. Secondly, XBO used a narrow, high-clocked architecture which is inherently going to provide worse performance per Watt than a wide, lower clocked architecture. If Nintendo used a, let's say, 16 CU GCN 1.2 GPU clocked at around 600MHz, dropped the eSRAM and DDR3 in favour of a single pool of 256-bit LPDDR4, used A72 cores instead of Jaguar and dropped the optical drive and hard drive, they could put out a console with similar performance to XBO at a vastly lower power draw without going anywhere near 14nm.

What was Emily wrong with now?

And yes, Orgen has explained what happened.
Well she wasnt wrong yet.. that whats im saying in regards to NX. Matter of fact I dont think she has any rumor of NX yet.

Yeah, it was as expected, a deeply sorry post of horse manure. trev66666666666666666666 is the only one that seems levelheaded in this batch of kooks. Even I don't believe some of his speculation but he doesn't pass it as real information when it's not.
Thats a shame this happening. I love both of them. Yes I dont know any rumors but the vagueness is annoying. Its like this is happening and thats it.

I think it would be fair to if there was a short term rumor they can prove quick but the next is E3. And we will see what happens then. Say we dont get any voice acting or gender options for Zelda U at E3. That means we gotta wait even longer to confirm that rumor.

So we should probably add to the OP:

"13. Don't trust any insiders (except maybe Trev/SuperMetalDave)"

That's not to say all of these insiders must be wrong, but it's devolving into roundabout speculation, circular arguments and insider vs insider drama, which isn't really conducive to a good discussion.

Also, I'm not saying these insiders don't have legit sources, even if the information is wrong, because as we can clearly tell plans DO change. Trev's leak was highly accurate until we heard about the Zelda delay (btw the leak never explicitly said that NX was launching in '16, rather that it would be launching along with Zelda) but we seem to have more evidence pointing to that leak as a whole being accurate with changes/delays being made after he got those documents.

So again: we know pretty much nothing, besides to keep the salt handy.

Orgen

You don't think there's high chance the thing gonna leak with this delay?
Particularly if it's planned for long after e3.

It could be leaked because it's a long period and you'll never know if there's someone who wants to be famous and spill everything... but I doubt it.

Regarding Emily comments... I won't say anything. I don't want to be part of some stupid source/twitter war :)

PS: You'll get this thread locked if you keep commenting on rumours instead of actual sources.

I guess I forgive Orgen

;_) hahaha

NateDrake

Why did it take Trev to make a video saying "Don't believe most NX rumors" for people to do so? NX is under a tight NDA and not much had leaked or is going to leak. Vague speculation and discussion by others shouldn't be taken as gospel. As I've said numerous times before, when it comes to NX those who know won't say, and those who say don't know.

How many fake rumors do people need to fall for before they catch on? Trev had his source, but it doesn't mean that point of contact still exists for him, so be cautious even with him at this point. Just be cautious and take any rumor or information as a grain of salt. Don't lose your minds over small bits of information.

Unless people post in-depth details and information, the information about NX power is likely false. Anyone who has a track record can go to Twitter, make a vague statement, and it finds its way to here, and then sites report it, and people lose their mind. "NX power will make some angry" is a statement that means nothing. Now, the issue is a lot of statements on Twitter are speculation by "insiders" that is then taken as fact by those reading, and the circus of crazy begins.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorry Hero of Legend. Good OP, but the last page is just people posting zero-content rumours and gossiping about insider personalities. We're going to have to lock this one as well. Maybe in a little while when we have more information we'll be able to try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom