• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eradicate

the-orb-of-confusion-o.gif

What happens every time a bit of NX information is ever found!

I thought about making a thread about it, but I just can't handle it and give up. It relates plenty well to things here though since it IS a source after all! Confusing, but a source! (I really want to find a Chinese transcript of that webcast just so I can go even more insane!)

If folks are feeling the Miitomo cloud save bit is unnecessary, I'd be happy to remove it. :)

I'd personally leave it since it means it may integrate/interact with the NX!

GamerJM

Banned
another year of speculation to go

fucking brutal

at the very least we're probably going to have to wait until september for the big nx blowout

nintendo pls

For real, in practice the worst thing about the delay is that it means an extension of this carnival of stupidity where we speculate over literally nothing. There's going to be an entire Summer of this.

Didn't we literally see a patent for a Nintendo console using these small rom carts.

IIRC that patent was for a digital-only console that had variable CPU speeds. It described a card slot that functions like a memory card. It mentions nothing about reading the "game program" off the card (rather off of the HDD as a digital download). Here's the entirety of what the patent described the card slot as:

[0028] The card slot 19 of the game apparatus 1 may receive or discharge the memory card 7 such as an SD memory card. The card slot 19 can read or write data from/to the attached memory card 7. In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13. This can realize, for example, version upgrade of the first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the version upgrade of a program may be realized by downloading a program from the server apparatus 9 through the communication unit 15.

Jackano

If folks are feeling the Miitomo cloud save bit is unnecessary, I'd be happy to remove it. :)

The relation with NX is far fetched.
Miitomo have relatively tiny and non-complex saves. That's something you see every day in other mobile games (heavily online).

There is nothing here unseen in what DeNA for example could have already done. Your save (game profile) is online and access is secured by your account (the Nintendo Account in miitomo).

By cloud saves on NX I assume people are thinking about a system-wise, kinda automatic thing. That's a whole another story IMO so yeah, as I don't like to see people expectations that up, I would remove it :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A little nugget from the recent Macronix presentation (I'm still waiting on some sort of transcript of their audio presentation)...in a language I can't understand:

Found here: http://laoyaoba.com/ss6/html/83/n-598783.html

8534_stupid-movie-confused-matthew-perry-reading.gif

Google translation:

...thanks Google?

Anyways, it looks like Macronix for sure is going to be doing gangbusters with Nintendo before too long!

Yeah, we need a better translation as soon as possible. It could be an interesting piece of evidence.

Anarky

Banned
What I really wanna know is if the NX VC paired with the probable shared library structure would allow me to play it on the theoretical NX handheld component?

Because the first two paper marios and lugi's mansion 1 on the go would completely justify buying the NX.

If Nintendo doesn't want to show NX to E3 why would they show NX games?

There are various reasons. Someone feel free to add to this.

1. Maybe during the Nintendo World Championships for hype

2. To appese fans for the delay, and to show there are good games heading toward NX

3. To get some marketing buzz

Just speculative reasons I can think of.

pooh

IIRC that patent was for a digital-only console that had variable CPU speeds. It described a card slot that functions like a memory card. It mentions nothing about reading the "game program" off the card (rather off of the HDD as a digital download). Here's the entirety of what the patent described the card slot as:

Hmmmmm

In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13.

Am I missing something here? It seems to be pretty clearly talking about reading the first and second "basic program" off the card.

MK_768

2. To appese fans for the delay, and to show there are good games heading toward NX

You are sounding like a fanboy grasping for a straw. Nintendo ain't handing out any straws right now. Expect nothing else cause there's no reason to expect anything outside of Wii U/3DS stuff at e3

You are sounding like a fanboy grasping for a straw. Nintendo ain't handing out any straws right now. Expect nothing else cause there's no reason to expect anything outside of Wii U/3DS stuff at e3

What the fuck... Yea ok, and you are sounding like a dick head. And you CANT tell me for fact what they will or will not show.

MK_768

What the fuck... Yea ok, and you are sounding like a dick head. And you CANT tell me for fact what they will or will not show.

oh simmer down. I ain't telling you for a "fact" what they will or will not show. I said there's no reason to expect anything outside of Wii U/3DS.

That is simply a safe assumption to make at this juncture.

Nanashrew

Banned
A little nugget from the recent Macronix presentation (I'm still waiting on some sort of transcript of their audio presentation)...in a language I can't understand:

Found here: http://laoyaoba.com/ss6/html/83/n-598783.html

8534_stupid-movie-confused-matthew-perry-reading.gif

Google translation:

...thanks Google?

Anyways, it looks like Macronix for sure is going to be doing gangbusters with Nintendo before too long!

I can't tell you what it says but the Google translation is correct about Nintendo.

任天堂 is listed 3 times.

oh simmer down. I ain't telling you for a "fact" what they will or will not show. I said there's no reason to expect anything outside of Wii U/3DS.

That is simply a safe assumption to make at this juncture.

Oh, I am chill as a cucumber. But you need to simmer with this sounding like a fanboy nonsense.

But...now that you added to the discussion lets continue

maxcriden

I just find it hard to believe that they will only show Wii U Zelda. Maybe a sizzle reel, or Direct for the games.

There is a chance, even if it is a small one.

They won't show NX games, because they said they won't be showing anything NX at E3. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they will have a Direct showing Wii U and 3DS games.

I'm sure this is true. Only Zelda will be playable, but other Wii U/3DS games will be shown.

They have new 3DS games certainly to showcase on direct. Then most likely holiday remaster for the Wii U, which they wouldn't put on the showfloor regardless.

I don't expect any such holiday remaster to happen, unfortunately. I think Paper Mario is all we've got for H2 2016. Unfortunately I don't think it's an accident that Kimi-san specifically made it a.point to say that there are unannounced first party 3DS games in development but said no such thing about Wii U. Credible rumors from Emily and Trev also seem to indicate there were no other unannounced retail Wii U games for this year beyond Paper Mario.

I don't believe there will necessarily be an NWC this year, unless it's Zelda-fofused whichim not convinced would be as compelling for people to watch as the focus of a speedrunning event. I'd previously assumed wrd get an NWC, but it never was confirmed and I don't think we have any reason to expect there are any games to be showcased at at E3 that would naturally befit an NWC showcase like Mario Maker did. To be honest I don't think Nintendo is too concerned about E3 this year or about appeasing fans or else they'd reveal NX sooner, even if in doing so they couldn't feature as many games. Basically, I think Nintendo is taking the test of this calendar year as a veritable wash on the console gaming front in order to ha e abetter result with NX later. I don't say anything of this to give you a hard time or to be disagreeable, just to give my two cents. ☺

Exactly, so there will be other games shown but only Zelda will be playable.

This is my take as well.

Eradicate

Yeah, we need a better translation as soon as possible. It could be an interesting piece of evidence.

I agree! It is really interesting stuff. I tried Bing Translator, but it was more jumbled! It looked similar though, especially about ramping up the production and all, but no better at all!

Not really. WiiU has Macronix ROM in it, too....

That's the thing, and I agree with you. It could be either/or, as far as I know. How soon would they need ROM for hardware production? From the sounds of it, it doesn't look like they've got anything started on that part, chips or anything! (Based off of this by itself!) Any idea how long it really, honestly would take? Is, say, 3-6 months enough time to place the hardware order, create and build the parts, ship them off to be built, and assemble the console?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Macronix, I believe they do not provide transcripts of their earnings release conference calls. Such would have to come from other sources. Best at the moment is the webcast.

sinxtanx

What's a "ROM"? Someone said its in a Wii U so I guess I shouldn't get excited?

Read Only Memory

usually for storing the BIOS (which in turn stands for Basic Input/Output System which is the code that boots up the computer and lets it work, unexciting)

but also in carts for storing games, exciting!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I don't expect any such holiday remaster to happen, unfortunately. I think Paper Mario is all we've got for H2 2016. Unfortunately I don't think it's an accident that Kimi-san specifically made it a.point to say that there are unannounced first party 3DS games in development but said no such thing about Wii U. Credible rumors from Emily and Trev also seem to indicate there were no other unannounced retail Wii U games for this year beyond Paper Mario.

I believe Nintendo does have some type of low key remaster waiting for holiday season Wii U. The main corroboration is that Paper Mario is releasing this Summer, this Summer!, why would it release this Summer if the entire Fall season is void of software? I don't expect much but literally one type of cheap cash-in filler sounds likely I think - otherwise the Wii U really doesn't deserve shelf space this Fall, other than clearance. Or then again, maybe they just dump that Mother 3 Virtual Console and more Wii Virtual Console games for the Wii from now till the end.

I don't believe there will necessarily be an NWC this year

Right, why do people believe NWC is such a lock for this year? The reason it existed last year was as a platform to showcase Super Mario Maker. There isn't a game they need to have a flashy competition as press for this year, so I have no inclination to expect a NWC.

You will get a Direct with the new 3DS games (N-Stars and Style Savvy), an eshop or remaster for the Wii U? (for godsakes Nintendo?). Virtual Console releases. Zelda video. Then Zelda experience at E3 show floor. The END.

Read Only Memory

usually for storing the BIOS (which in turn stands for Basic Input/Output System which is the code that boots up the computer and lets it work, unexciting)

but also in carts for storing games, exciting!
:O

Well I want to be excited for th carts! That would be a NX console using carts again like some of use have speculated. I really hope it's a NX console and handheld and they both can use the same cart.

People were crying "omg they want to make money on each system?? It must be weak!!" Do some people think? It could mean there's do disc drive and that reduced the cost. It could mean anything. We don't know what shape or form this NX will take.

Pokemaniac

What I really wanna know is if the NX VC paired with the probable shared library structure would allow me to play it on the theoretical NX handheld component?

Because the first two paper marios and lugi's mansion 1 on the go would completely justify buying the NX.

Power is going to be the major limiting factor for handheld VC. N64 is probably a relatively safe assumption, but GameCube could go either way.

LewieP

I believe Nintendo does have some type of low key remaster waiting for holiday season Wii U. The main corroboration is that Paper Mario is releasing this Summer, this Summer!, why would it release this Summer if the entire Fall season is void of software? I don't expect much but literally one type of cheap cash-in filler sounds likely I think - otherwise the Wii U really doesn't deserve shelf space this Fall, other than clearance. Or then again, maybe they just dump that Mother 3 Virtual Console and more Wii Virtual Console games for the Wii from now till the end.

At the very least I expect them to do another wave of Nintendo Selects releases in the run up to Christmas.

Here are the translations for the three paragraphs that have information about Nintendo. The translation is rough due to time constraint. BTW, if you find any Chinese articles in the future, feel free to pm me. I may give you a brief summary, or translation if I am free. :)

Paragraph 1:

非挥发性记忆体厂商旺宏(2337)昨(28)日公布第1季每股净损0.25元。旺宏董事长吴敏求表示,“最糟情况已过”,预期今年第3季很有机会摆脱亏损,届 时大客户任天堂订单将有关键性影响,该公司目标全年损益平衡。

Yesterday, non-volatile memory vendor Macronix (2337) announced that net loss per share of 0.25 yuan in the first quarter. Wu Miin, chairman of Macronix, stated that "the worst situation has passed". He expects that the company can potentially get rid of loss in the third quarter as the orders of an important customer, Nintendo, will have critical impact. The company targets a profit-loss balance annually.

Paragraph 4:

过去旺宏全年业绩高峰大多出现在第3季,第4季则会下滑,但吴敏求指出,因为任天堂已宣布新平台将于明年3月推出,应会提早备货,旺宏今年第4季营运可能和第3 季一样好。

In the past, Macronix sales performance usually peaked at third quarter, while declined at the fourth quarter. However, Wu Miin pointed out that because Nintendo has announced that the new platform will be launched in March next year, orders should be placed in advance. Therefore, the operating revenue of Macronix in the fourth quarter may be as good as the third quarter.

Paragraph 6:

吴敏求指出,在任天堂新平台推出之前,今年ROM营收估计持平,但有成长潜能。至于NOR Flash业务,全球市占到去年已达21%,位居第二位,预期在今年接下来的某一季,有望跃升为第一大。旺宏预期今年75奈米以下NOR Flash制程产品会提升至五成,并销售更多高容量产品,车用领域业绩也会持续增加。

Wu Miin noted that before the launch of Nintendo's new platform, the sales of ROM is expected to remain unchanged in this year, but there is growth potential. In respect of NOR Flash business, market share in the global market has reached 21% last year, ranked second. It is expected to climb to first rank in a quarter next year. Macronix expects the sales of 75 nm, or below, NOR Flash process products will increase to 50% and more high-capacity products will be sold. Revenue of automobile sector will continue to increase.

Ogodei

I'm calling September honestly, since Nintendo had Fall Conferences when net-gen hardware was coming out. They did it for Wii, 3DS, and Wii U to a smaller extent.

Man, i remember Wii U's september conference. Really helped build hype back up after E3 2012 (though couldn't solve the major issues), and then they dropped a dolphin-vagina-punching bombshell. Damn.

It's almost summer, i have a real job, i'm a 20-something, i'm getting a better car in two weeks, and my garden's going great, but a good part of me can't wait for the end of the year.

Triton55

Trying to think of a remaster from the GCN/Wii Era that would make sense...
Luigi's Mansion? Mario Sunshine? Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn?

Galaxy 1/2 already got released on the eShop. Metroid Prime and Pikmin already sort of got remakes on the Wii... Seems too soon for Skyward Sword...

Terrell

I've been waiting for this topic. I hope this one doesn't get closed. We have a lot to talk about when it comes to the NX.

From Kimishimas latest statements I feel confident in saying the NX console controller will not have a screen in it.

That's quite the logical leap.

Now that we have a decent translation, the Macronix info would be good to sub in.

Bring back Spaceworld, NCL.

Nah, better than Space World, since Space World was a Japan-only event. Multi-continental event, Nintendo. DO IT.

That's quite the logical leap.

Now that we have a decent translation, the Macronix info would be good to sub in.

Nah, better than Space World, since Space World was a Japan-only event. Multi-continental event, Nintendo. DO IT.

I take back what I said after I thought about other factors, but still I don't see Nintendo doing two systems in a row with a controller in the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom