• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
The OS would run on what?

On PC, PS4, XBO... Smartphones ?

it's all about the definition of hardware.

Imagine they did that with the Wii. You could say the hardware, and innovation was the wiimote and sensor bar rathr than what was inside the box right ? Now what if they had release that as an add on for PS3, X360 and PC, with games dedicated to that add on + a nintendo account system running on them. You could still say this is using a Nintendo hardware, with innovative features, except anyone would have access to it for the price of a controller. (For the Wii it wouldn't have worked as good cause it was justly aiming non gamers)

Bigger market for Nintendo, and other hardware manufacturers wouldn't mind. It's just more content for their hardware. Actually they would fight to not be out of the loop.

Sorry i'm just having fun with that idea but ..it makes sense somewhat.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Imagine they did that with the Wii. You could say the hardware, and innovation was the wiimote and sensor bar rathr than what was inside the box right ? Now what if they had release that as an add on for PS3, X360 and PC, with games dedicated to that add on + a nintendo account system running on them. You could still say this is using a Nintendo hardware, with innovative features, except anyone would have access to it for the price of a controller. (For the Wii it wouldn't have worked as good cause it was justly aiming non gamers)

There's NO way Sony and Microsoft would have allowed that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Bigger market for Nintendo, and other hardware manufacturers wouldn't mind. It's just more content for their hardware. Actually they would fight to not be out of the loop.

And Sony and Microsoft would just allow Nintendo to install like a virtuale machine or store front on their consoles? That's insane. Why would there be a Dragon Quest XI in the Nintendo store that competes with the Dragon Quest XI already on PSN? That doesn't really makes sense a bit.

Not to mention that any kind of device that needs to connect directly to PS4 would need Sony's certification. Or do you thing Nintendo will just homebrew the PS4?

A stream based solution I see (still needing a streaming device from Nintendo), but anything involving PS4 apps and direct connections, no.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 now on PS4 but not on XBoxOne...Sony finally get what they always wanted since the SNES days...

This wont happen...

orioto

Good Art™
And Sony and Microsoft would just allow Nintendo to install like a virtuale machine or store front on their consoles? That's insane. Why would there be a Dragon Quest XI in the Nintendo store that competes with the Dragon Quest XI already on PSN? That doesn't really makes sense a bit.

Not to mention that any kind of device that needs to connect directly to PS4 would need Sony's certification. Or do you thing Nintendo will just homebrew the PS4?

A stream based solution I see (still needing a streaming device from Nintendo), but anything involving PS4 apps and direct connections, no.

I don't know... You all seem to start with the main idea that Sony, nor microsoft wouldn't be super helping when their competitor, maker of multi million sellers, Mario games, Pokemon games.. Nintendo for christ sake! would release its games on their platform. I personally think they would do ANYTHING to let that happen. It's a matter of logic i guess.

But ok i'm a bit delusional now, it's just that it would be such a win-win for everyone when you think about it.

Trago

Nintendo aren't putting NX games on PS4 people lol.

"Let me play my NX version of Dragon Quest XI on my PS4!"

WTF

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo aren't putting NX games on PS4 people lol.

"Let me play my NX version of Dragon Quest XI on my PS4!"

WTF

But we don't even know what version of DQXI is on NX. What if it's a portable version, that runs on android and ios systems.. via the NX os exclusively ?

Ok i stop :p

I don't know... You all seem to start with the main idea that Sony, nor microsoft wouldn't be super helping when their competitor, maker of multi million sellers, Mario games, Pokemon games.. Nintendo for christ sake! would release its games on their platform. I personally think they would do ANYTHING to let that happen. It's a matter of logic i guess.

But ok i'm a bit delusional now, it's just that it would be such a win-win for everyone when you think about it.

It's not totally crazy. I could see Nintendo wanting to piggyback on the success of PS4, PC and mobile If their hardware continues to be undesirable.

geordiemp

Sony refused EA Access. Think about how willing would Sony be to get a Trojan horse of a hardware competitor (because it is already officially confirmed that NX is also hardware).

EA access competes with the sony store and streaming service in a way...same games.

However, Nintendo games would not be replicated elsewhere and a different demographic.#

Who knows, Nintendo are crazy, Sony Need Money, PC is open

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
EA access competes with the sony store and streaming service in a way...same games.

However, Nintendo games would not be replicated elsewhere and a different demographic.#

Again, there is a game already confirmed for NX. A 3rd party game.

Trago

And what about third party Nintendo NX games? Sony or Microsoft aren't about to have their money makers cannibalized.

NX is dedicated hardware.

Banned
tumblr_mlo2gpLejT1so5xtno1_500.gif

Nintendo is a fucking platformholder, other companies have to pay them royalties to release their titles on their systems.

Nintendo would have to pay Microsoft and Sony royalties on top of having zero income through third-party software.

It wouldn't be a win for Nintendo in any way.

First of all, I don't see Sony and Microsoft accepting Nintendo publishing software on their consoles as long as Nintendo is still a competitor in hardware. More so through some kind of subscription service. Secondly, the hardware is a disaster in the making without exclusives. And Steam machines are living examples for that.
And I agree 100%. It'd be be an awful idea. Exclusives give consumers incentive to buy one piece of hardware over another, and Steam Machines have proved that what I was talking about doesn't work. It would make no sense for Nintendo to follow this route. All I'm saying is that with the way the tweet was worded, it made NX out to be a distribution platform that, while it has dedicated hardware, would also be available on PC and Smartphones. At least that's how I read it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo won't give away money to any dedicated gaming hardware producer as long as they are producing dedicated gaming devices.

I stick with my speculation of a console, handheld, cheap streaming server line-up.

orioto

Good Art™
And what about third party Nintendo NX games? Sony or Microsoft aren't about to have their money makers cannibalized.

NX is dedicated hardware.

That's the thing, in that scenario, that is probbly not happening, Nintendo wouldn't have any third party on their "hardware", cause they would finally be on an ecosystem where people can buy their games on any consoles. if you ask me, i think that's what Nintendo would love. Not having to beg for games and adapt to third party desires. Just do their own thing and let people play their games, without having to choose "a Nintendo platform or something else".

I realize i'm advocating for Nintendo going third party there lol.

Also the os could not have a store, to not compete with psn and other stores, but it could just be for leaderboards and game features etc.... Like you see for some third party gaming community platforms on ios or android. Like they would have their community thing, miverse etc.. but not specially a store.

Nintendo is a fucking platformholder, other companies have to pay them royalties to release their titles on their systems.

Nintendo would have to pay Microsoft and Sony royalties on top of having zero income through third-party software.

It wouldn't be a win for Nintendo in any way.

Except if they sell some of their games to 3x more people of course. And see their profit explode with modern game business strategy (DLC etc..)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's the thing, in that scenario, that is probbly not happening, Nintendo wouldn't have any third party on their "hardware"

“Dragon Quest XI, which we announced today, as well as Dragon Quest X, which I’m working as a producer, are planned for release on the NX, which Nintendo is currently developing,”

It's in the OP.

And I agree 100%. It'd be be an awful idea. Exclusives give consumers incentive to buy one piece of hardware over another, and Steam Machines have proved that what I was talking about doesn't work. It would make no sense for Nintendo to follow this route. All I'm saying is that with the way the tweet was worded, it made NX out to be a distribution platform that, while it has dedicated hardware, would also be available on PC and Smartphones. At least that's how I read it.

I think what could possibly happen, is something like the Remote Play App Sony is working on for PC/ smartphones.

You'd still be required to own the dedicated hardware Nintendo makes money off, but you'd have more flexibility how to consume your games by streaming stuff to other devices.

orioto

Good Art™
“Dragon Quest XI, which we announced today, as well as Dragon Quest X, which I’m working as a producer, are planned for release on the NX, which Nintendo is currently developing,”

It's in the OP.

the answer is also aleady in my older post lol. There is currently 2 different DQXI game and we have no clue what version is on NX. It could even be a third version.

Oersted

What I could see(not saing its gonna happen) is that Nintendo could say develop for NX and trough streaming you basically developed for every other plattform. NX hardware owners get the local version(disc/download) and access to the streamed versions, while owners of other plattforms have to pay access.

No fucking clue if that would work.

Edit:

It wouldn't

Thats that then

But then again, there were plenty of rumours about Xbox One and PS4 too, way before they were announced. It always goes like that.

most of those rumors were pretty much the same tho and it even ended up being right on the money, especially about the xbone being always online. but the NX rumors? they're all over the place, they share nothing in common so its hard to tell what it might and might not be

What I could see(not saing its gonna happen) is that Nintendo could say develop for NX and trough streaming you basically developed for every other plattform. NX hardware owners get the local version(disc/download) and access to the streamed versions, while owners of other plattforms have to pay access.

No fucking clue if that would work.

It wouldn't

So we hear an incredibly vague tweet, and people go batshit and assume that the NX (which was specifically announced as a continuation of Nintendo's HARDWARE strategy) is a streaming app for other consoles?

Sad to see a promising thread fall to such idiocy. Again.

Eddie Nash

Neo Member
So we hear an incredibly vague tweet, and people go batshit and assume that the NX (which was specifically announced as a continuation of Nintendo's HARDWARE strategy) is a streaming app for other consoles?

Sad to see a promising thread fall to such idiocy. Again.

Yes, sad indeed.

Now, how about this for the controller of the Home NX:

HcbnFczNohNTDD7DbmdDPbrMySXK5rw86UZlSOHjb_zIyrJ0LQG5mXctPaMFuE2IcUor1B1Rx4d1rnxuSqbr-Xhwxr9mWYRt0Ui-UR1njerO4BdBBgphisGdH_OEkbu0uUfNhjh-15cU6Czy8ti_zgPwA9maH5c_rc7vSKFH1JdacXE9l87A6MQ-f8u65NEDPmmRQeWDhZRwkIEfkQ52JDZb5M7hv4PZYAWX0NqbkASb3rSh6NA9bss2peyFSxDe4bKLUkKwfHx06U9qaG2dCGPwqICHdNYB8_vMkuz5rM-bhYKd-b2HfInZbbqOhGK87BevN4TWNFdpa3H45gPe3JYKHvc2xynhZKik6831BjESJF6m3bFLIgZDgul6U13AWnfUDMG6OwL8L-S0qZvUyiJaqRtoKEZNsJQzlusuvISq-RcLUZb06ErLE4fFVwt0f4GkV3MyRBflTvXvUu2XNzEQ3DMHxUSCgo0qd1Kj7rDPw4HhUY8biVSVctcLp180szVJCbnp_JYB7MSCgqOWff-HeOv7xE_Zn0iV6m5Jm_-jdkdTFQTwABz3NxOE7qtA3RYU=w1001-h731-no

Then why create or revamp your network for NX and WiiU.

Not Mario Kart 9, but what about Mario Kart 64?

Imagine an Emulator-like streaming service for NEE-N64 games for X1/PS4.

More Exposure + more income since those are two completely new markets that will gain access to the VC instead of the market of Nintendo fans that already bought every VC game they need.

It's genius actually.
More exposure is why they're going on phones. Being able to play old games isn't going to win new consumers over. It might give old fans more reasons to stick with the competition

On Iwatas comments about developing for two different spec systems: sounds like you'll make the games like a pc game where it has quality settings, except everything will be managed in the background.

IE: each game will have a console mode with higher res textures and effects etc, and a handheld mode, which will use less effects, lower quality assets, and run in a lower screen resolution.

That way you get nearly identical experiences save for the overall IQ being lower when portable.

Hopefully they don't try and patent this kind of thing because I'm pretty sure some PS3/4/V games have been developed in a similar way.

Hermii

Guys how likely is it that nx handheld will have g sync like tech that syncs the frames rate of the game with the refresh rate of the screen? Would this be to expensive to implement?

Would solve the problem of devs having to aim for either 30 or 60, and would be super practical in a handheld.Imagine games could run stable 48fps and it would look and play great.

Sorry man, I haven't been following Nintendo news as closely as some of you guys- my reasoning is basically this:

I want to believe Nintendo has bigger ideas than launching dedicated hardware in the middle of a generation in a climate where the competition has greater than 80 million units sold.

At the end of the day, Mario Kart has the potential of selling GTA numbers, Zelda has the potential to destroy Uncharted/Halo sales, and titles like Splatoon will reach those grandiose profit heights of Nintendo IPs of yore.

IMO, a better strategy would be to acknowledge the competing platforms and lock them into a service that ultimately benefits Nintendo for years on forward as opposed to just a one time purchase. Think of it like EA Access, but you are required to both purchase the game and pay to play. I think it could work and bust the seams on potential userbase and profit.
That is just Nintendo going third party. Could have said that.

Neoxon

Seriously, let the rumor threads cover the rumors. This thread is about the facts.

Speaking of, is that AMD quote in the OP?

Terrell

But still no facts, just almost facts.

Just like every discussion about every pre-announcement console in the history of GAF. This isn't exactly some abnormal phenomenon. Nintendo's actually given us more data points about what their console will be than Sony and Microsoft did prior to the PS4 and Xbox One reveals, as most of what we knew about those consoles prior to their reveal was based on information gleaned from outside sources.

2016: NX
(The mystery finally will be revealed!)

Watch GAF as they speculate, analyze and fly right to the SUN!
Surprises! Megatons! Betrayaltons! Meltdowns! and a lot of Understanding!

Coming DIRECTLY to a thread near you.

AniHawk

Sorry man, I haven't been following Nintendo news as closely as some of you guys- my reasoning is basically this:

I want to believe Nintendo has bigger ideas than launching dedicated hardware in the middle of a generation in a climate where the competition has greater than 80 million units sold.

At the end of the day, Mario Kart has the potential of selling GTA numbers, Zelda has the potential to destroy Uncharted/Halo sales, and titles like Splatoon will reach those grandiose profit heights of Nintendo IPs of yore.

IMO, a better strategy would be to acknowledge the competing platforms and lock them into a service that ultimately benefits Nintendo for years on forward as opposed to just a one time purchase. Think of it like EA Access, but you are required to both purchase the game and pay to play. I think it could work and bust the seams on potential userbase and profit.

it seems insane to do that to people. either nintendo opens a digital store like steam and has it playable on multiple devices, or they have a subscription service across multiple devices. you're suggesting someone buys someone else's console, then buys the nintendo subscription, and then buys a game? who would do that to themselves?

i also really don't think there's this huge secret nintendo fanbase on ps4. my reasoning is that there are no nintendo games on ps4, and family games tend to do rather poorly compared to competing platforms despite any userbase advantage or however many family/kid-friendly games sony will toss the ps3/ps4/vita. if nintendo partnered with anyone, they'd probably have a better shot with microsoft. there had been talks of a buyout two presidents ago, the company owns rare, and both american offices are pretty close. that, and microsoft has a big ip in minecraft that can built the sort of audience nintendo games would do well with.

the third-party solution is basically the end of modern nintendo though. it would be a morale killer and end risk within the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom