• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, i planned on staying awake, but i was so dead tired, i fell asleep while fighting a Tyrant in XCX. ^^

Surprised to see my party being wiped was basically the only event that happend this night. :)

Expected, still sad. Wouldn't have killed them to throw us a little bone. Now, where's that "wait for April 1st" slogan coming from? And why should we expect anything on April's Fools, of all days?

Banned
Heh, i planned on staying awake, but i was so dead tired, i fell asleep while fighting a Tyrant in XCX. ^^

Surprised to see my party being wiped was basically the only event that happend this night. :)

Expected, still sad. Wouldn't have killed them to throw us a little bone. Now, where's that "wait for April 1st" slogan coming from? And why should we expect anything on April's Fools, of all days?
It came from my speculation that Nintendo meant "next fiscal year" when they said they'd talk about the NX next year (this year). There fiscal year starts April 1st. So I expect some NX news or announcement of a conference in April, not on April 1st.

People are gonna hype up my post now like I'm an insider and get mad at me when nothing happenes lol.

Hermii

10k got insider information saying the NX is 100% sure to be revealed April 1st so at least we got that to look forward to :p

thefro

We did get more information on My Nintendo and Nintendo Account
. Iwata previously mentioned those were a "core element" of the NX.

5KiVdux.jpg

We've yet to see the Q&A as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah. Even if we didn't get news directly for NX, we got a good amount of infos about Nintendo Account/MyNintendo, both called "core elements" of NX since NX's first mention back in March 2015, when they didn't eve have names.

Then investors Q&A might bear fruit, bland and tasteless fruit but fruit none the less.

I still think that the NX (briefly) will be talked about after MyNintendo is announced since US still hasn't gotten the official announcement of the program yey and it's supposed to be here next month.

Lots of people latching on to April now.

Seems reasonable. Nintendo likes to do april shit lol

I dunno but either way we are in for a long wait it seems

TheMoon

It came from my speculation that Nintendo meant "next fiscal year" when they said they'd talk about the NX next year (this year). There fiscal year starts April 1st. So I expect some NX news or announcement of a conference in April, not on April 1st.

No, you can safely expect plenty of NX news on April 1st :)

Guaranteed.

Just none of them will be true.

Arttemis

I still doubt the NX gets released this year. Announced, absolutely. There's just not enough time to finalize and manufacture the hardware and create a worthwhile software lineup by the holidays.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still doubt the NX gets released this year. Announced, absolutely. There's just not enough time to finalize and manufacture the hardware and create a worthwhile software lineup by the holidays.

Then announcing its existence last year was a mistake.

It feels like there should be a Direct coming up soon. With Starfox, the account changes coming, Miitomo and so on. Anyone think we'll get one before the end of February? Maybe even one with a tiny NX tease....

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So, explain how PS4 and Xbox One could be announced and released in the same year, then.

Neoxon

It feels like there should be a Direct coming up soon. With Starfox, the account changes coming, Miitomo and so on. Anyone think we'll get one before the end of February? Maybe even one with a tiny NX tease....
Probably not anytime soon since they dropped a bunch of stuff randomly (Smash DLC dates, TP HD details, Pokkén release date, etc.).

Banned
So, explain how PS4 and Xbox One could be announced and released in the same year, then.
Because people were still getting great games and support on their 360's and PS3 and nothing was formally announced the year before.

The Wii U was dead out of the gate and some people are bored of it now and want the next new thing from Nintendo which promises to fix past errors.

Nintendo is different than Sony and Microsoft.

sinxtanx

if you haven't been keeping up with some of the more trustworthy rumors, allow me to catch you up

-devkits are distributed
-manufacture and release happens this year

and then there's the data point of eleven months left in 2016

benedictm

Banned
If that Nintendo patent for the clickable scroll wheels becomes a reality with NX, I could see those inputs being beneficial and useful for a game like SMM.

- Quickly scroll through different tiles and sprites
- Use the wheels to quickly lay down duplicate tiles/sprites. One wheel would lay down assets vertically, while the other wheel lays them down horizontally(sorta like an Etch-A-Sketch).

Maybe SMM on the NX could be a good use for a second screen app on a tablet.

Because people were still getting great games and support on their 360's and PS3 and nothing was formally announced the year before.

The Wii U was dead out of the gate and some people are bored of it now and want the next new thing from Nintendo which promises to fix past errors.

I want NX as much as anyone else but im not bored of Wii U yet. Y'all probably bored of the sales cause the games still fire 🔥🔥🔥. I just want an NX version of Zelda U in 1080p honestly thats all I want. If its the handheld I highly doubt I play and finish Zelda U on that instead of the tv. I dont even use offtv play like that I use my pro controller.

Neoxon

I think you are. System is the sum of a bunch of components after all. The NX system could be made up of multiple devices.
I suppose that makes sense. I also recall that plurals being translated from Japanese can be vague at times, so it could be that as well. But your logic likely makes the most sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This has absolutely no bearing on whether a system gets released.

Neoxon

This has absolutely no bearing on whether a system gets released.
The fact that Nintendo's support of the 3DS & Wii U are starting to run dry (more so the former) outside of late localizations seems to be a good enough indication that we'll get at least one NX device this year.

Scrawnton

The fact that Nintendo's support of the 3DS & Wii U are starting to run dry (more so the former) outside of late localizations seems to be a good enough indication that we'll get at least one NX device this year.
Nintendo support is drying up on both systems, not just 3ds. We know about Zelda, but Wii U is more or less a black hole after star fox releases.

And don't discount the late localizations of the 3ds this year because some of those games are big deals and high quality games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Exactly. All the main Nintendo teams are not working on announced Wii U or 3ds teams since a year or more now. The only exception is Zelda. If even with the unified development framework they are not capable of stepping up the development process in order to have a decent launch this year, Nintendo really has a problem.

Neoxon

Nintendo support is drying up on both systems, not just 3ds. We know about Zelda, but Wii U is more or less a black hole after star fox releases.

And don't discount the late localizations of the 3ds this year because some of those games are big deals and high quality games.
I said both are running dry, but the Wii U isn't doing too badly. Leaving out late localizations (so no SMTxFE), there's...
  • Twilight Princess HD
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Paper Mario U (rumored)
  • Zelda U
It's not amazing, but the first 4 being in the first half of the year is an okay line-up. But my concern with the Wii U lies in the second half of the year.

I only discount late localizations because I'm referring solely to Nintendo's developer output. Stuff like Fire Emblem Fates have been finished for months & are only being localized. It isn't something that Intelligent Systems has to work on. And look at Japan, their 3DS line-up is a bit sparse (maybe even more so than the Wii U).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I know, but he was arguing that because 360 and PS3 were still producing quality titles, the XB1 and PS4 didn't need as much time from reveal to release.

It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

MK_768

Exactly. All the main Nintendo teams are not working on announced Wii U or 3ds teams since a year or more now. The only exception is Zelda. If even with the unified development framework they are not capable of stepping up the development process in order to have a decent launch this year, Nintendo really has a problem.

Exactly. The Zelda team is really the only team working on something. I'm not sure the Star Fox team is taking a lot of resources out of Nintendo. I feel it's more Platinum and a side group. So from that most of the teams have been working on something for at least a year, Splatoon team less so. The Mario team has been silent for 2 years+ if I'm correct.

I mean we saw some really mediocre to terrible 1st party spinoff games at the end of last year. That Mario Tennis game is an abomination. So I think that is a reason enough to think the NX is coming this year. Obviously we won't know until E3 at the latest, but it is very hard to believe they won't release something this year.

Banned
I suppose that makes sense. I also recall that plurals being translated from Japanese can be vague at times, so it could be that as well. But your logic likely makes the most sense.
Or maybe we've been wrong all along.

The NX is a console only, with a 540p screen according to Matt and is more powerful than the Wii U.

Or

The NX is a handheld more powerful than the Wii U with a 540p screen.

Maybe there is only one sku and Nintendo is gonna ride out the Wii U one more year or maybe they thought the New 3DS bought their handheld an extra year so they'll do the console first.

We know nothing!

This is entirely wild speculation to entice conversation.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Now, I don't wish to start hyping more investor events, but Ubisoft has its Q3 2015-16 Sales and Earnings release next week (with live webcast):

Q3 Sales Thursday, February 11, 2016

And Investor Day on Thursday, February 18, 2016
Source: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/company/investor_center/ir_calendar_contacts.aspx

Bandai Namco ought to have an investor event soon as well, though there is nothing in their schedule currently. Square Enix will publish its Financial Results for the Nine-Month Period Ending December 31, 2015 in "Early February, 2016".

Zoon

Rösti;194132945 said:
Now, I don't wish to start hyping more investor events, but Ubisoft has its Q3 2015-16 Sales and Earnings release next week (with live webcast):

Source: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/company/investor_center/ir_calendar_contacts.aspx

Bandai Namco ought to have an investor event soon as well, though there is nothing in their schedule currently. Square Enix will publish its Financial Results for the Nine-Month Period Ending December 31, 2015 in "Early February, 2016".

I don't see how we get anything more than EA's "Evaluate Any And All Opportunities" before nintendo officialy announces it.

It would still be kind of clunky because you can't play Mario on a tablet so you would have to switch back and fourth between tablet and controller.

Maybe have it as a Creator App Edition, where you can only play the levels in the actual game on Wii U and NX, but can create the levels on the phone/tablet. I think a fee is fair for it, but maybe Nintendo can use Nintendo Account to give owners of SMM the app for free?

The troubled Sharp Corporation have an earnings call tonight I think, maybe they drop some hints, though it's probably not a huge part of their business.

Banned
Rösti;194132945 said:

Haven't you hurt as enough you sadist? :p

The troubled Sharp Corporation have an earnings call tonight I think, maybe they drop some hints, though it's probably not a huge part of their business.

Yeah, this is very interesting, since there were 2 independent sources pointing to Nintendo using a Free Form display (the rumor/report and then the patent). With talks of Sharp selling its LCD panel business, I don't know what the effect might be on NX.

if you haven't been keeping up with some of the more trustworthy rumors, allow me to catch you up

-devkits are distributed

Thank you. Unless Nintendo suddenly announces a surprise batch of new AAA Wii U games which will be released after Zelda and help carry it until Fall 2017, I really don't see how some folks still keep insisting that NX won't be out in 2016. Could Nintendo push it until 2017? Of course, but their home market share for 2016/17 would be all but dead aside from Zelda. NX is being worked on now, that's where their resources are. It's been two years since 3DW and Koizumi said in a January 2014 interview with Edge that EAD Tokyo's next 3D Mario would be on the next system, surely they've been hard at work on that so it's not a huge stretch that we could even possibly get a 3DW/Galaxy sequel as a launch title.

Eradicate

Rösti;194132945 said:

There are a few coming up of note that I've found:

Take-Two - Feb. 3 (today!)
Square Enix - Feb. 4
DeNA - Feb. 5
Sega - Feb. 5 (call on Feb. 7)
Bandai Namco - Feb. 9
Activision/Blizzard - Feb. 11

Good find on Ubisoft!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
-devkits are distributed

Leakers have failed us.

Come one, people, all we need is one disgruntled NDA-breaker or one exploited silly security breach on a developer's document server.

BY2K

Membero Americo

-devkits are distributed

They may be trustworthy, but they are still rumors. Nothing is confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom