• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topics 19 and later are right here! (Edit on Jan 28th: Topic 24 has been added!)

So as we wait for the long-awaited full unveiling of the NX, and the much confusion about what we know as facts from the horse's mouth, I felt that I should make a general summary thread showing what we know so far complete with sources.

MASSIVE thanks to Neoxon for helping out with sources and gathering info for me. I truly appreciate it! :) (Edit: And also mentioned below; Toadthemusroom found Topic 12 and thefro found Topics 13-17, all newly added at the bottom. Thank you both so much!)

The topics covered are in order of date with the oldest on top.

1. Nintendo merged their handheld and console system teams, now known as the "Integrated Research & Development Division" Or IRDD. This is headed by Genyo Tekada, the Senior Managing Director. (Source)

Iwata on Jan 31st said:
cLvfUWU.jpg

"As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director."

2. Iwata's first mention of a new project that will feature unified architectures. (Source)

Iwata on Jan 31st said:
"Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing."

3. Another mention of the architecture by Iwata, and how he wanted to take advantage of what they've done Wii U's architecture but not actually reuse it. Also expressing dissatisfaction with the effort needed when porting Wii games to 3DS and 3DS games to Wii U as a reason to do this. Also mentions how when this happens. consoles and handhelds will no longer be different, but like brothers in a family of systems. (Source)

Iwata on Jan 30th said:
"For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."

4. Iwata's comments about the above being compared to Apple and Android. (Source)

Iwata on Jan 30th said:
"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future."

5. The NX is announced and is the codename of "a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept", with more information to be shared in 2016. (Source)

Iwata on March 17th said:
K7sxDzg.jpg

"As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year."

6. Iwata also announced a new "membership service" that they're working with DeNA on that encompasses NX alongside Wii U, 3DS, mobile devices, and PC's and will form one of the "core elements" of the NX. (Source)

Iwata on March 17th said:
YaC2nY9.jpg

"Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service. Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned."

7. Iwata discussed about Nintendo "internally analyzing what hurdles exist" to the removal of region-locking for the NX. (Source)

Iwata on May 8th said:
"My understanding is that it is not realistic on the existing video game systems because unlocking them after they are already on the market poses a number of hurdles. On the other hand, regarding NX, we understand that many consumers hold such opinions and such suggestions exist in the market, and although we have nothing concrete at the moment, we are internally analyzing what hurdles exist to lifting region locks. That is the situation right now. We acknowledge your request, and I personally want to give it positive consideration."

8. Games-wise, originally Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI were officially confirmed at the Dragon Quest XI unveiling event by the producer. However, Square-Enix afterward claimed this is only merely a "consideration". (Source of both quotes)

Yosuke Saito on July 28th said:
7aG28P2.png
l57tUqO.png

“Dragon Quest XI, which we announced today, as well as Dragon Quest X, which I’m working as a producer, are planned for release on the NX, which Nintendo is currently developing,”

Square Enix on the NX versions being a "consideration" said:
“Our press release contained the official statement that had been originally planned, and there is no reason to believe any changes were made mid-way to the content of the official announcement. The comment made during the event was not based on the official statement, so please allow us to correct our statement at this moment. We regret any confusion this may have caused.”

9. Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo has already shipped NX dev kits to certain 3rd-party developers, and that sources claim the NX will likely feature both a console and a handheld unit that can be used together or on the go for separate use, and use "industry-leading chips" after "criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors". (Source)

Wall Street Journal on Oct 16th said:
TOKYO— Nintendo Co. has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.

The kit is used by third-party software developers to modify existing games for the platform or create new ones. Videogame console makers such as Nintendo like to have popular game titles ready when they start selling new devices.

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

10. The Nintendo Account system was announced. (Source)

Kimishima on Oct 29th said:
lGEgktP.jpg
yJURgX2.jpg

"We are planning to introduce a new account system that connects all of these Nintendo experiences beyond platforms and operate a new membership service globally.

It is generally said for any account system that more than half of people registering accounts quit halfway through the process. Every one of you must share the same experience of not being able to recall your account name or password when trying to log in.

Accordingly, we have focused on making the new account easy to create or easy to sign up as well as easy to use, namely, it is harder for members to forget about it.

Specifically, for our new account, you can log in with your Facebook, Google or Twitter account. Alternatively, you can log in with a combination of your email address and your password. Of course, you can continue using your Nintendo Network ID as well.

The name of this new account system is “Nintendo Account.”

With Nintendo Account as the basis, we will provide new membership services.
Today, let me introduce you to a part of the service.

Firstly, on Nintendo’s official website, you will be able to purchase digital download software for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.

When you find an interesting title after seeing articles or videos introducing new games through your PC or smart device, you can buy it on the spot, and the purchased software will be automatically downloaded to your Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

Also, in accordance with each member’s profile, purchase records and play records, we will send notices and gifts.

For example, an Animal Crossing character called Isabel may send some information or a present to those who are playing with that game, Mario Kart players may receive a notice about add-on content and we may also send a message that enables the recipient to purchase some software at an attractive price point on his or her birthday"

11. Topic 6 was addressing the recently announced My Nintendo membership service. (Source)

Kimishima on Oct 29th said:
GTtaDRs.jpg

"We will start a new point program as well, which not only involves Nintendo’s dedicated game systems but also smart devices.
With the Club Nintendo membership service that was ended on September 30, 2015, you earned points when you purchased software. With this new point program, you can earn points by playing games as well.

Whether you have played the software for dedicated game systems or our applications for smart devices, you can earn points that can then be used on our dedicated game systems or on smart devices.

Naturally, you can also earn points by purchasing software.

With the new points, you can obtain digital add-on content, which will make the game you are playing even more fun, original merchandise or a coupon, which can be used as a discount for new software."

"The name of our new membership service is “My Nintendo.”
My Nintendo will work as a bridge between dedicated game systems and smart devices."

I decided to stop here since the thread would be twice its size if I include stuff such as the patents and the rumors by insiders on GAF, plus the patents aren't all that certain to be used and were just dug up. I just want to keep things basically straight from Nintendo and in one case a developer and one other being a reliable article.

These should hopefully fix the misunderstanding of what NX is likely to be. Hopefully Nintendo will lift the curtain soon enough.

Edit: Instead of adding new points to the above, I'll just make a new section below.

Thanks go to Toadthemushroom for Topic 12, and to thefro for Topics 13-17! Truly appreciate it! :D

12. Miyamoto ponders making on game that runs on both a console and a handheld. (Source)

Miyamoto on June 23rd said:
"But over the last five years we've seen that the range of devices that they develop for has expanded, so they're able to decide if they want to create something that is very high spec type of game or something that is for a lower-spec device. So I just think it's good to see the freedom of choice that developers now have.

What I can say is, certainly, within Nintendo the fact that our development environment for our home console is different from the development environment for our portable system is certainly an area of stress or challenge for the development teams. So as we move forward, we're going to look at what we can do to unify the two development environments.

So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."

13. Shinya Takahashi says that Nintendo wants to make the NX exciting by looking at the perspective of the players. (Source)

Shinya Takahashi on June 23rd said:
“For us, the next step is to think about what is going to be that element that is really going to catch the attention of a large number of players again and get them excited,” says Takahasi. “We’re constantly thinking about this idea from the perspective of the players and the needs of the players in terms of what can we can do with our ability and our technology to capture that excitement and passion.”

14. Miyamoto has confirmed that he is taking a step back from NX's development after having a large hand in both the Wii and Wii U's development. (Source)

Miyamoto on June 23rd said:
“I’ve pulled myself back out of some of the hardware section and I’m really focused on some of the software that I’m involved in—for example, the new Starfox game,” he says. “Of course I am observing and looking at the hardware, but I am not actively participating and making decisions.”

15. Kimishima confirms that dedicated game platforms are still their "chief preoccupation". (Source)

Kimishima on Dec 3rd said:
“NX [the codename for Nintendo’s next game system] is in development,” says Kimishima, reaffirming that Nintendo will have more to say about it next year, and calling it “a next step in our dedicated device strategy, the core and primary focus of our business.”

16. Kimishima confirms that the NX will move away from Wii and Wii U, referencing how it is difficult to move fans from the current platform to the next platform (likely specifically Wii-to-Wii U). (Source)

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

17. Kimishima doesn't know where the NX codename came from. (Source)

“As for the codename NX, I don’t believe that there’s any real meaning behind it, and to be perfectly honest, I don’t know where it came from,” says Kimishima, laughing when I ask. “Or perhaps Mr. Iwata had meant to tell me and then never got the chance.”

Edit 2: Datschge found another point below, thanks! :)

18. Iwata mentions wanting to make a platform that encourages a more active use rate to sustain interest in future games. (Source)

Iwata on Oct 30th said:
"Our output speed is, of course, important. At the same time, we believe that maintaining the active use rate of our platform carries the same level of importance. I think you can relate when I say, when we keep touching a video game system, we tend to look for the next software we want to play. As a result, it becomes easier for consumers to purchase their next games. On the other hand, if the game system is out of our daily routine, we tend to lose interest, making it less probable that a new game will come to light. When we look back at previous hardware that did not succeed, they always failed to maintain the active use rate. On the contrary, the platforms that sold a lot established their respective positions in the market not because they had a lot of games – many games were offered for the hardware as a result of the hardware selling well and it establishing itself as a lucrative platform for publishers to sell their software on. We believe that the real key is whether the hardware is able to maintain the active use rate. I should have mentioned in my earlier remarks that Nintendo wants to operate our platforms by focusing more on maintaining the active use rate, so please allow me to make this comment now."

Edit 3: Good news, new topics! The bad news, I don't have enough room. :p I've made a new post for topics 19 and later, the link is right on top of the OP! :)

Somehow, I keep thinking that no matter what ideas we might come up with, barring a leak, might as well as end up with a surprise. Probably something not quite the expected thing at the very least...

Though it is probably a good thing to hope for what I want.

ArmageddB

Pertaining to #4 ... Maybe we will see an updated NX every year, just like we get an updated iPhone/Nexus every year.

Looking at those pics...

"New Nintendo Experiences"

Nintendo NX
Nintendo New Xperience
!!!!
I realy hope Nintendo stops using the word "new" in their console and game titles. It makes great games (NSMBU) seem boring and drab at a first glance. I also can't imagine it's that useful from a marketing standpoint either... It seems like it would just confuse customers. But I suppose Nintendo has data indicating otherwise.

LewieP

Pertaining to #4 ... Maybe we will see an updated NX every year, just like we get an updated iPhone/Nexus every year.

Or like how we got regular iterations for every single Nintendo handheld. They can do regular hardware iterations, but everything they are saying about the platform strategy would suggest that such iterations would share the same library of software (except for perhaps when they do a major update in line with the lifecycles their consoles have today).

I think they will probably do something like an XL version of their handheld that increases the display resolution, and maybe even an iteration that adds stereoscopic 3D, but I doubt they will want people to have to upgrade their kit every 12/24 month in order to be able to buy new releases.

Or like how we got regular iterations for every single Nintendo handheld. They can do regular hardware iterations, but everything they are saying about the platform strategy would suggest that such iterations would share the same library of software (except for perhaps when they do a major update in line with the lifecycles their consoles have today).

I think they will probably do something like an XL version of their handheld that increases the display resolution, and maybe even an iteration that adds stereoscopic 3D, but I doubt they will want people to have to upgrade their kit every 12/24 month in order to be able to buy new releases.

I think they'll probably find a way to tell you what you need to play something.

Makes me think about how the 3DS isn't a spring chicken these days. Perhaps NX is overdue...

And, yeah, NX is still mostly speculation at this point. But that's what makes it fun - speculate away, and perhaps, well, someone's gotta be right somehow!

Excellent thread, thanks. What concerns me about this unified development is that we will end up with dumbed down, lowest common denominator designs. Products and services that have to be simplified so it can fit into this blinkered, short sighted view of what hand held gaming is, and can be. Everything changes too fast for a home console to be handicapped in this way.

I had a good laugh at the assertion that Nintendo will be working to avoid software droughts. The fact that they're looking at porting software from handheld to fill gaps in the console schedule strikes me as potentially cannibalistic. Though Monster Hunter 3 worked out great, right?

Potential for region free is a pleasant surprise.

shandy706

I hadn't considered this before, but reading ALL of that.

It feels like we're getting a streaming service.

That can't be possible though...they don't have the infrastructure...right.

Do you think we will get an OS-update to WiiU & New 3DS (yes I'm leaving original 3DS out) to have some sort of compatibility/emulation for NX software, so you can (to a degree) play the NX games with older hardware as well?

PetrCobra

I'm not holding my breath for #9 (performance) to be true... but I do hope it is.

Well wasn't essentially the same thing said about the Wii U before it launched? And the NX will come much sooner after the Wii U than the U did after Wii. So I would expect the power somewhenre around the current gen consoles, although honestly my wish is for it to be at least slightly above the PS4 which is weak enough as it is...

Unless, of course, they plan to make incremental improvements to their consoles every year or so. Like the phone generations, backward compatible but being able to run some (new) games faster, or with more details. Damn, this is starting to look almost like a closed-spec PC in my mind, better stop thinking about it :)

Peltz

Great thread. I'm glad you left the patents out too. There's been way too much confusion about this on GAF so seeing all of the quotes in one place is handy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I had a good laugh at the assertion that Nintendo will be working to avoid software droughts. The fact that they're looking at porting software from handheld to fill gaps in the console schedule strikes me as potentially cannibalistic. Though Monster Hunter 3 worked out great, right?

I think it's a great idea and I'm glad they're doing it. Nintendo pumps out an average of one game per month between their handheld and home consoles, so yeah, the drought problem would be somewhat solved, aside from the likely lack of third-party games.

I think it's a great idea and I'm glad they're doing it. Nintendo pumps out an average of one game per month between their handheld and home consoles, so yeah, the drought problem would be somewhat solved, aside from the likely lack of third-party games.
Except those who moan about droughts are their biggest fans. They likely own both systems. Nintendo doesn't seem to understand the value cross buy yet. If they start giving digital customers a version across platforms when they do a port then it might make sense. See the way Sony handled Journey, flOwer etc

PseudoViper

I realy hope Nintendo stops using the word "new" in their console and game titles. It makes great games (NSMBU) seem boring and drab at a first glance. I also can't imagine it's that useful from a marketing standpoint either... It seems like it would just confuse customers. But I suppose Nintendo has data indicating otherwise.

Ha! I hope so too! It took me a whole hour to explain to another friend that the n3DS is the new 3DS model and is completely different from the 3DS. Whoever is the president of naming things over there needs to step down.

Let's just hope for a level closer to the DS/3DS than the Wii U for third party at the very least.

Who better to cannibalize your own platform sales than your other platforms, especially when releasing on all your platforms at once is near effortless?

Bonus points if people don't buy software for any individual platform but can instead choose their preferred (or multiple) form factors with the same (or nearly the same) library. Then your software sales aren't cannibalizing anything anyway!

Fawk Nin

I'm so excited to learn more about this. I just wish Nintendo would at least indicate when they plan to say something (more specific than just 2016).

Also, I really hope it comes out holiday 2016.

Jaruru

great to see some concrete info of NX in one place. I hope the list will go on... with lot of news/announcement

Given everything we've heard, I assume we'll know exactly what it is by E3 and be able to buy them before Christmas.

And maybe "it" should be "they". Although given how successful the 3DS has been, I wouldn't be surprised if the handheld version doesn't drop till mid/late 2017. Quite excited about what they'll actually be controller/concept wise.

If handheld and consoles have a shared library then it shouldn't get terrible 3rd party support as all Nintendo handhelds have had good 3rd party support (well from Japan at least).

Mikef2000

My concern is this whole merging handheld and console into one system. I fear that it will be a jack of all trades, master of none. As a console, it wouldn't be too powerfull otherwise it would be too expensive/have crappy battery life while in handheld mode, and vice versa as a handheld.

My concern is this whole merging handheld and console into one system. I fear that it will be a jack of all trades, master of none. As a console, it wouldn't be too powerfull otherwise it would be too expensive/have crappy battery life while in handheld mode, and vice versa as a handheld.

They're not doing that though?

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

There you have it folks. Time to put away the Linkin Park albums, the hybrid theory is dead.

cmChimera

"New Super Mario Bros. New" launches with the new Nintendo New Experience.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If handheld and consoles have a shared library then it shouldn't get terrible 3rd party support as all Nintendo handhelds have had good 3rd party support (well from Japan at least).

I suppose that's true, although much of that support is JRPGs, which are great, but only serve one audience.

thefro

A couple other articles... one from Fortune published June 23, 2015

Fortune said:
And while neither Miyamoto nor Shinya Takahashi (who oversees Nintendo’s Software Planning & Development Division with Miyamoto, and heads development on all Nintendo games that aren’t run directly by Miyamoto) were willing to get into specifics on the NX, the company’s next console, they did imply that they think the excitement will be back when details are announced.

“For us, the next step is to think about what is going to be that element that is really going to catch the attention of a large number of players again and get them excited,” says Takahasi. “We’re constantly thinking about this idea from the perspective of the players and the needs of the players in terms of what can we can do with our ability and our technology to capture that excitement and passion.”

Nintendo talked about the NX with 3rd party partners at E3 2015 (some of them for the first time), and the reception was positive.

Fortune said:
The problem for Nintendo is the NX’s launch is at least a year away—likely more, as the company reportedly just started talking about it with third party partners at this year’s E3. (The reception, say insiders, was positive.)

This interview with Kimishima from Time Magazine published on Dec 3, 2015

Time said:
Dedicated game platforms remain Nintendo’s chief preoccupation
“NX [the codename for Nintendo’s next game system] is in development,” says Kimishima, reaffirming that Nintendo will have more to say about it next year, and calling it “a next step in our dedicated device strategy, the core and primary focus of our business.”

And he says NX is definitely a departure from the Wii and Wii U

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future."

This is so surreal. Bring on the change.

Mikef2000

Original Post/Original Poster depending on the context.

Think 3ds/n3ds, with the n3ds being a home console and with a LOT more n3ds exclusive games. So same development enviroment, same chipset family etc.

Ok, now it's much clearer. Thanks.

Seems interesting. I just hope they can make the console significantly more powerful than the PS4, but that's just wishfull thinking. we'll be lucky to get something as powerful as the XONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom