• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffense

For some reason as soon as I read Torte City I thought of mayor "Tortimer", from Animal Crossing. Then I thought of the legal term "tort".

Anyway, this stuff is reasonable as far as leaks go. They're taking a long time to announce it but I expected a major Pokemon game this year.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102411
The Pokemon Company International’s Director of Consumer Marketing J.C. Smith has revealed that Pokken Tournament isn’t the main Pokemon surprise they have in store for consumers in 2016. The discussion was centred around Pokemon’s 20th anniversary which will take place in early 2016. What would you like to see announced during the celebrations?

“Will Pokkén Tournament be…is that your main plan for the early part of the 2016 anniversary?”

In response, Smith simply said, “No.”

However, when pressed further, he stated, “I’m splitting hairs. No, there’s lots of stuff planned for the 2016 year but nothing I can talk about now.”

TBH, I don't even consider FFVIIR for NX to be that farfetched. If Nintendo can successfully negotiate for Cloud to appear in Smash they should be able to get a port of a game that runs on an engine (UE4) that NX will likely support. In all likelihood, Squenix already has devkits because it seemed as if they accidentally spilled the beans about an NX version of Dragon Quest XI.

Vena

Didn't Mr Ex Treehouse who got fired for his interview reveal that Nintendo staff don't like leaking things because it breaks trust amongst peers? Kind of weird that Nintendo of all companies has been getting more leaky lately.

Need to hire more ninjas and trustworthy staff. Lucky for Nintendo I'm both so I'll be sending an application in.

Controlled leak.

Its too perfect, and none of the information is all that strange/mind blowing. Marketing budgets are neat to know but don't mean much.

MK_768

The leak is far from being fantasyland like and hardly deserves the criticism it has gotten from certain folks.

Sure Pokemon Rainbow is unlikely, but we know a Pokemon game is coming this year. We also wouldn't be shocked if it celebrates the 20th anniversary. So it's not that insane.

If you want to criticize or laugh at trev, save it until he is proved wrong. Doing it before hand will just keep him and other leakers from quenching some of you thirsty people.

Honestly, if I were him I would just keep the info to myself.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Controlled leak.

Its too perfect, and none of the information is all that strange/mind blowing. Marketing budgets are neat to know but don't mean much.
..And can be off the mark by an arbitrary epsilon, since we have no way of verifying the numbers ; )

ekim

Fill me in people. The last state I'm on is that trev said it launches this year and Zelda U is coming to NX. Has he been vetted by Bish? Any new leaks?

Controlled leak.

Yes, it's genius. It's not like Nintendo had some sort of way to directly release information to the fanbase. Some sort of 'Nintendo direct', of you will.

There's definitely still room to be skeptical but watch when the new Pokemon game isn't called Niji/Rainbow followed by people shitting on the guy because they didn't read what he said properly.

The thing with the Disney Art Academy listing is weird since it was found less than a day after he leaked it. Is there any way of knowing that the listing went up beforehand?

The leak is far from being fantasyland like and hardly deserves the criticism it has gotten from certain folks.

Sure Pokemon Rainbow is unlikely, but we know a Pokemon game is coming this year. We also wouldn't be shocked if it celebrates the 20th anniversary. So it's not that insane.

If you want to criticize or laugh at trev, save it until he is proved wrong. Doing it before hand will just keep him and other leakers from quenching some of you thirsty people.

Honestly, if I were him I would just keep the info to myself.

Trev himself even said Pokémon Rainbow is just a codename, and we shouldn't read too much into it. And yet many people treating it like it's the deal-breaker of this whole thing. It's probably not what people are thinking it is.

Edit: Just looked up the specifics of the old rumor. There is no way on Earth it is a compilation of Generations 1-4 on one cart. That sounds like someone may have heard the Rainbow codename and then inserted their own wild wet dream into it.

Trev himself even said Pokémon Rainbow is just a codename, and we shouldn't read too much into it. And yet many people treating it like it's the deal-breaker of this whole thing. It's probably not what people are thinking it is.
Not just that, he said Niji is the code name, not rainbow, he just said Niji means rainbow.

MK_768

Exactly. Some people are just ridiculous but that's just how thirsty we are lol.

Now if he said the next Pokemon game is a remake of Red and Blue for the NX, I'd understand the extreme skepticism.

BTW, I think a Red/Blue HD remake/remaster would be insanely cool and the perfect way to put a mainline game on a home console.

AdanVC

Zelda U being ported to NX makes total sense because if it stays as a Wii U exclusive it will be the lowest selling Zelda game and it doesn't desserve that fate.

Banned
Zelda U being ported to NX makes total sense because if it stays as a Wii U exclusive it will be the lowest selling Zelda game and it doesn't desserve that fate.
We don't know that yet. The Zelda team hasn't exactly been successful at filling open spaces with fun things to do like twilight princess or skyward sword so I don't have too much faith in a completely open world Zelda game from that team. Probably why it got delayed in the first place, not because of the NX but because the game was short on things to do in that vast open world.

We don't know that yet. The Zelda team hasn't exactly been successful at filling open spaces with fun things to do like twilight princess or skyward sword so I don't have too much faith in a completely open world Zelda game from that team. Probably why it got delayed in the first place, not because of the NX but because the game was short on things to do in that vast open world.

Didn't Monolith Soft want to help the Zelda team with the game? I wonder what came out of that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not just that, he said Niji is the code name, not rainbow, he just said Niji means rainbow.

Yeah, Pokemon Rainbow might be Pokemon Z (or Pokemon XY2.) Rainbow = Bifrost (which is basically rainbow bridge) which is a part of Norse Mythology which featured in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

Edited: I'm totally aware that it's codename tho but I found it funny that they went with Rainbow, considering with Pokemon X and Pokemon X being based on Norse Mythology. :p

Game codenames aside, leaking the forecasted marketing budgets for major titles is an . . . interesting choice by this unconfirmed source.

Specific budget #s for marketing are usually considered to have high business impact as it effectively signals to your competition what they need to spend in order to better reach your target audience. Also it helps indicate what you are prioritizing and what other things may be in the pipeline based on the magnitude of your spend. Distributing this information, therefore, seems like a surefire way to get discovered; if not face severe litigation.

I guess where I'm getting that, is why would this leaker ever need to publicly tell an enthusiast gaming forum about $-figure marketing budgets? I understand the need to confirm their validity, but assuming they are real (cmon Bish) then they must really not value their current employment. Perhaps they were recently let go? The motivation really bugs me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Also I would like to share the picture as well.

ypydvC4.png

Yeah, Pokemon Rainbow might be Pokemon Z (or Pokemon XY2.) Rainbow = Bifrost (which is basically rainbow bridge) which is a part of Norse Mythology which featured in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

Edited: I'm totally aware that it's codename tho but I found it funny that they went with Rainbow, considering with Pokemon X and Pokemon X being based on Norse Mythology. :p

Also I would like to share the picture as well.

ypydvC4.png
I wasn't even aware of the Norse connection for rainbow, that's pretty cool.

GUYS.

Niji starts with N, which is Z when turned 90 degrees counterclockwise!

Exhaustive google research indicates this is a Tibetan word which Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche explains means “shining, glittering, splendid dignity, and referring to the warrior’s quality of unconditional confidence”

Pokemon Ziji is Nintendo's QOL killer app, teaching Shambhala Buddhism through Pokemon training

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Game codenames aside, leaking the forecasted marketing budgets for major titles is an . . . interesting choice by this unconfirmed source.

Specific budget #s for marketing are usually considered to have high business impact as it effectively signals to your competition what they need to spend in order to better reach your target audience. Also it helps indicate what you are prioritizing and what other things may be in the pipeline based on the magnitude of your spend. Distributing this information, therefore, seems like a surefire way to get discovered; if not face severe litigation.

I guess where I'm getting that, is why would this leaker ever need to publicly tell an enthusiast gaming forum about $-figure marketing budgets? I understand the need to confirm their validity, but assuming they are real (cmon Bish) then they must really not value their current employment. Perhaps they were recently let go? The motivation really bugs me.

What if the $-figure is not real though? Not in what was sent to Bish, but In what was made public.

To be totally clear on Pokémon, the code name is Niji, nothing actually said "Rainbow" on the document, just the Japanese translation means that if you Google translate. The final name will most definitely be something different. This does not change the fact that Pokémon 20th anniversary is coming to the 3DS for holiday 2016.

Sorry if I made it seem like the document said "Rainbow" it did not. My website has also been updated with this as well.

I'll quote this again since people seem to miss it.

I just wanted to point out that I know that Pokemon Rainbow is not the actual title, but is supposedly the code name for what is probably Pokemon Z. The thing that makes me skeptical, is that as far as I know the term "Pokemon Rainbow" has basically been in the rumor mill since Gen 3 and has consistently been false every time it surfaced. So even having it show up as a code name is enough to raise a red flag for me.

And I know it's not like years of false Pokemon Rainbow rumors somehow bars Nintendo/Game Freak from using it as code name, I'm just pointing out why people are particularly skeptical of that one bit.

Eradicate

To be totally clear on Pokémon, the code name is Niji, nothing actually said "Rainbow" on the document, just the Japanese translation means that if you Google translate. The final name will most definitely be something different. This does not change the fact that Pokémon 20th anniversary is coming to the 3DS for holiday 2016.

Sorry if I made it seem like the document said "Rainbow" it did not. My website has also been updated with this as well.

giphy.gif

May I ask, was it in Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji?

It is weird that an employee in marketing decided to leak stuff making his job harder. Just kind of funny, I guess
But they're also not very specific, maybe because they just don't know all that much.
I might've complained a bit, but I'm kind of glad it's that way. Leaves more surprised for the rest of the year.

I'm guessing he meant that Zelda U is basically done while the NX port is being worked on
If anything the NX version will be done first and then Wii U... only thing that can be done from Wii U is controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom