• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your biggest movie letdowns? (besides The Last Jedi)

Ghostbusters Afterlife.

I really, seriously wanted to like this film. I watched it a couple months ago and was bored out of my mind.

A completely unnecessary, predictable and dull film. I hate even saying it but I have to be honest. I really wanted it to just to be at least decent. At least average.

Last edited:
I like watching a lot of classic movies.

So... The Graduate. A lot of publications and movie nerds make a big deal out of it. It's a bad movie. Even my then-girlfriend who I watched the movie with said, "wow, this didn't live up to expectations."

Spaceman292

Banned
You can look up who Tom Shippey is and what he had to say about the movies.

Also, Christopher Tolkien, his son did not approve of the movies.

Read letter 210 to see how JRR Tolkien would've dislikes the movies.
Wow that's a lot of random idiots trying to speak for a corpse. Very compelling.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Assault on Precinct 13 remake.
One of my favorite movies being remade with big but also accomplished actors and an actual budget.
It just missed completely on creating any kind of atmosphere or charm.

Rise of skywalker for me. I didn’t like the last Jedi but it wasn’t that bad. Skywalker was one of the worst movies I’d seen

I skipped watching The Rise of Skywalker due to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi being terrible movies

Are people really getting their hopes up for that?

I'm not. It's just gonna turn into a feminazi mess where they replace Harrison Ford with a strong independent women

wondermega

Ghostbusters 2 was a pretty big letdown. It definitely wasn't bad, but compared to the tightness of the original one, it was just so.. dumb and forgettable. Totally got lost in the rush of movies the year it came out, and made me no longer look forward to or want any further GB movies (the cartoon was still good, though - in its own way).

Phantom Menace was a pretty big letdown. I enjoyed the OG trilogy as a kid in the 1980s, but when there was all the buildup and hype for the prequels, I never felt a huge draw to "ohhhh this is totally going to bring me right back to the magic of my childhood!" Of course I went to see it with the gang when it opened, but pretty much from the beginning of the film I was just bored and disinterested. I never bothered to watch any more Star Wars films after that (finally watched Rogue One a little over a year ago, it was alright). And not to say "oh it was terrible" or any of that - just not my thing. Jar-Jar, the focus on little kid Anaki, the two-headed announcer, blah blah blah. Not interested. To be fair, ROTJ almost soured me on the original trilogy with all of the Ewoks. Actually in that vein..

I'll say ROTJ was also a disappointment! I don't really like seeing myself write that, but as a kid? They followed up Empire with THIS? Had a bunch of cool scenes, and the resolution was acceptable - and sure the movie is pretty fun to sit back and watch now - but even as a little kid, watching that film, I kind of felt ready to be done with SW if that was how they were gonna keep fleshing out the universe. As usual, to be fair, the first two films were relatively high watermarks, and ROTJ was definitely a "good" film but it certainly paled by comparison, for me.

Tron: Legacy - whereas all the other nerdy 1980s kids loved SW more than anything else, the original Tron was my watershed moment as a nerdy little kid. I was cautiously optimistic about this second film (especially considering how much time had passed). I went to see it at the opening, and to be fair they had me until about the halfway point when it started to feel like bad fanfiction. In hindsight, I've watched it a bunch of times since and the visuals and audio are still breathtaking, and it's just fun as hell to sit and watch - but coming out of the theater that 1st viewing, I did feel a little but like "did they really need to do that?"

I guess I'll chime in with others who complain about Endgame being a letdown. I feel like this one is tough because A. following up the excellent Infinity War was going to be hard as hell, and B. I DID really like all the weird twisty-turny stuff they tried, honestly I didn't see this conclusion coming. Again, the movie was fun to watch and had a lot of amazing eye candy and all of that. I think they did do an excellent job, but still it left me feeling kinda funky at the end, I think I would have honestly enjoyed it more if I caught it when it opened and everyone was losing their collective minds at the theater (I caught a midnight show a week later in a mostly empty theater). Still a good film for what it is, overall, but yeah forgettable and a big drop-off from what is one of the biggest nerd movie setups in history.

Predator 2 - you know I almost don't remember this movie at all. It's kind of on my list to pick up and give it a second chance, because it seems like it could be doing some cool things (and I really like the premise). As a kid I was just SUPER disappointed that Arnold was not involved, following how groundbreaking and unabashedly cool that first film was. Like Endgame (and Ghostbusters 2), I guess, it had so much to live up to and just didn't even show up in the same neighborhood. But, might be a good movie. I am looking forward to a rewatch with fresh eyes.

I feel like I am probably rehashing a lot of what other people would say at this point with these selections, trying to think of something unusual but notable. I guess BTTF2 was not "great," but I definitely dug the fantastic futurey vibes of it enough (even though a lot of the movie beats felt forgettable at the time). The third one was TOTALLY forgettable - although I did rewatch it for the 1st time since seeing it in the theater, maybe 5 years ago and ultimately enjoyed it.

But my real biggest notable, unusual letdown? Here we go - Cool World! I was genuinely excited for this film - it sounded like an (even more) off-the-rails Roger Rabbit style film, the pedigree was amazing, the stage had been set for this (especially considering RR's massive success). I was a pretty big fan of Ralph Bakshi and the significant imprint he'd made on the weird world of cartoons, at the time. There wasn't really much buzz about this film in advance but it was one of those things where the glimpses they'd shown in advance made it look like it was going to be something really out there and envelope-pushing. Instead, what we got was a shitty, convoluted mess. Not unwatchable, but close to it (and definitely unlikeable). I really wouldn't have cared if this project didn't have so much going for it, and again on paper it really sounded like it was gonna be something special. Supposedly they studio mucked it up too much and tried to push it to be more family-friendly (which is completely hilarious considering how the film still turned out), I am sure there was a lot of finger-pointing at the end of the day. Anyway, at least a completely kick-ass soundtrack came out of it.. I still think a movie like this, done to the creator's original vision, would be balls-out-bonkers and absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode IX - Rise of the Skywalker
The Matrix Resurrections
Terminator: Dark Fate
Man of Steel
Batman Vs Superman
Justice League (both versions)
Wonder Woman 84
The Batman
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Eternals
Avengers Age of Ultron
Black Panther
Thor: The Dark World
Coming 2 America

I'm sure there is more 🤔
Man of Steel was great. The Batman was great.

All Spiderman movies are terrible.

Sgt.Asher

I saw sausage party and afterwards I thought "I am never going to get that time back", and I've done some stupid shit. Does that count? Otherwise, black panther i suppose.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Interesting...
Both films suffered from the same problem.
They was painfully boring
I do think Man of Steel could have been better if they didn't jump around the timeline.
But The Batman though, Robert was fine but the film was way too long and way too boring.

Chronicle

Interesting...
I do think Man of Steel could have been better if they didn't jump around the timeline.
But The Batman though, Robert was fine but the film was way too long and way too boring.
I do agree that Batman was too long. Needed more ass kicking too. But they really got the mood right.

nush

Predator 2 - you know I almost don't remember this movie at all. It's kind of on my list to pick up and give it a second chance, because it seems like it could be doing some cool things (and I really like the premise). As a kid I was just SUPER disappointed that Arnold was not involved, following how groundbreaking and unabashedly cool that first film was. Like Endgame (and Ghostbusters 2), I guess, it had so much to live up to and just didn't even show up in the same neighborhood. But, might be a good movie. I am looking forward to a rewatch with fresh eyes.

I rewatched it for the first time a couple of years ago. First time I saw it I already decided to not like it because "No Arnie, nobody like Arnie, Fucking Danny Glover!?". It's actually solid though and much better than the dross we get served up now. Plus Gary Busey and Bill Paxton.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I do agree that Batman was too long. Needed more ass kicking too. But they really got the mood right.
Oh I agree.
But I literally paused it 3 times and come on here for like 30mins
I just wanted it to be over.
I like the action in it but it was just dragging and going nowhere.
I did liked Gordon, Bruce and Alfred but the rest was meh, and Catwoman story could have been any random woman.
It didn't need to be Catwoman and added nothing to it with it being Catwoman.
And that's nothing to do with the actress because it would have been the same regardless of who was playing her.
The film on paper is a perfect mix of the Dark Knight & Se7en.
But failed miserably at being good at either.

Monokrom

51Jh95I7b0L._AC_SY780_.jpg

MV5BMTQ1MDQ2Mjc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTc0NjI5._V1_.jpg

336263.jpg

Ra\/en

First one that popped into my mind has to be Prometheus. I was so excited for it, and it really was not as great as I was hoping. The effects and the atmosphere were there, but the script made very little sense.
The Hobbit is for sure another one. I didn't even bother to watch the 3rd movie as the first 2 left such a boring taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Interesting...
I liked Man of Steel except one big drawback. That final fight went on way too long. Should had been cut in half. Superman movies arent Avengers movies with giant battles. But this one was trying to be it.

Last edited:
Interesting...
Man of Steel is the only Zack Snyder film I enjoyed

Shubh_C63

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness

I thought some new Marvel villian will be teased in a big way. Ended watching a movie which seems to be written by a 16 year old kid.

SJRB

Gold Member
Tenet.

Overwhelmingly pretentious, poorly paced, utterly mediocre action, overreliance on goofy practical effects giving it a cheap feel, completely forgettable characters and an aggressively bad plot. With every scene you can feel Nolan sitting in the editing booth twirling his non-existing moustache saying "Nja nja njaaaa, I am so SMART".

Those last 30 minutes or so are so profoundly bad that it boggles my mind that anyone would still hold Chris Nolan in the highest regard. Nolan has heard too many people tell him he is smart and it's getting to him. Dude needs to stop sniffing his own farts and go back to making actually good movies.

wondermega

I rewatched it for the first time a couple of years ago. First time I saw it I already decided to not like it because "No Arnie, nobody like Arnie, Fucking Danny Glover!?". It's actually solid though and much better than the dross we get served up now. Plus Gary Busey and Bill Paxton.
Sounds good, I am gonna give it a shot! Maybe next week -

Tenet.

Overwhelmingly pretentious, poorly paced, utterly mediocre action, overreliance on goofy practical effects giving it a cheap feel, completely forgettable characters and an aggressively bad plot. With every scene you can feel Nolan sitting in the editing booth twirling his non-existing moustache saying "Nja nja njaaaa, I am so SMART".

Those last 30 minutes or so are so profoundly bad that it boggles my mind that anyone would still hold Chris Nolan in the highest regard. Nolan has heard too many people tell him he is smart and it's getting to him. Dude needs to stop sniffing his own farts and go back to making actually good movies.

Not sure how I feel on this one. I kinda like that he still went ahead with making the thing that he wanted to make, studio/critics/etc be damned. It's confusing (and unsatisfying) as hell, but it absolutely has a ton of heart in it and the gimmick is interesting enough to be worth a watch (sort of). I would rather he do movies like this than just rehash studio drivel as I'm sure they'd prefer. As it is, I will maybe give the film a rewatch in a bunch of years with my expectations in place. When I did watch it (a year ago?) I already knew it was bombing pretty badly, so I went in expecting to outright despise it. I dunno. Maybe I am wasting my time trying to defend this at all, haha..

Last edited:
Tenet.

After The Dark Knight, he hadn't made a good movie since. Dunkirk being the rare exception

Star-Lord

Worth it just for John Goodman.
You're thinking of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Part of the same Cloververse, but a different film altogether. 10CL was great, boosted by Goodman, but Cloverfield was the crappy 'found footage' film set in NYC.

nush

You're thinking of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Part of the same Cloververse, but a different film altogether. 10CL was great, boosted by Goodman, but Cloverfield was the crappy 'found footage' film set in NYC.

Ah, you're right. Cloverfield was shit.

MrA

Banned
Mortal kombat annihilation, coming off the serviceable (to a 12 year old Mortal Kombat) that was some amazing level of trash, stuff happens for no reason, characters appear and disappear after 1 brief scene, Brain Thompson , and some really bad cgi

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Interesting...

The problems with Man Of Steel make a lot more sense once you realise that Zack Snyder doesn't like Superman.

Toons

I actually enjoyed The Last Jedi (and the other sequel SW movies)

also the only good Alien movie is the original.

Last jedi is the best Star Wars movie outside of New Hope and Empire

Suck my lightsaber nerd

Nice to see some CHAD energy in here

In all seriousness its still Batman v Superman for me.

Also maybe transformers 2. No joke, the first time I viewed it I was so disgusted I threw up.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The Matrix Resurrections is the most disappointing (versus my expectations) thing I have ever experienced.

That Includes:
Star Fox Zero
Shenmue 3
The Last Jedi
Raekwon's second album
Civil War II (comic)
A gourmet Cheesesteak

The Matrix 4 exist in spite of it's own desires not to ever have been made. And it insults me as a viewer since I am just a sheep who can only understand leather karate, loud bang bangs and bullet time.

I actually like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I thought it was a really fun movie even if it wasn't accurate to the book.

First one that popped into my mind has to be Prometheus. I was so excited for it, and it really was not as great as I was hoping. The effects and the atmosphere were there, but the script made very little sense.
The Hobbit is for sure another one. I didn't even bother to watch the 3rd movie as the first 2 left such a boring taste in my mouth.
I surprisingly liked Prometheus. It's my third favorite Alien movie after Aliens and the original Alien. I just wish they explained things in the sequel but instead the sequel turned out to be terrible.

dan76

The Phantom Menace - and the other two as well, but by that time we all knew what we were in for.
Gangs of New York - I mean, it's ok, but it's from the same director as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and King of Comedy?
Every Terrence Malick film since The Thin Red Line.
Every John Carpenter film since The Thing.
Alien 3
Evil Dead 3

I haven't really been let down by a film in the last 20 years as my expectations are so low. Now I'm pleasantly surprised if something doesn't suck. Under the Skin, Nocturnal Animals and The Irishman were pretty good.

ssringo

Star Wars prequels - First one was bad but now the stage is set and we can get a decent follow up. Okay second one was dumb but now we get to see him become Vader. Oh...
Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions - There's some fun to be had (I enjoyed Neo vs the Smiths) but there's also lots of dumb (like the ooga booga party) and frankly nothing could've lived up to The Matrix anyways.
Alien 3 - Lets kill everyone that lived through the previous (fantastic) movie except Ripley. And then kill her too. Fuck off.

After the prequels and the fact that Star Wars was being made by Disney (who, generally speaking, I had begun to not like by then), I had no hype or hope for episodes 7-9. I actually got my enjoyment from e-meltdowns and Red Letter Media discussing them (because they're the best).

Ionian

Tenet.

When I watched Tenet after all the glowing reviews, I thought WTF have I missed here?

So I watched it again and nope, missed nothing. Just pretentious shite.

Any film I was disappointed with has impressively already been mentioned, so can't add much to that.

Brilliant thread though, kudos to the OP.

Ionian

Rise of Skywalker

TLJ was genius you cowards. I bet you don't even smoke crack.

It had it's moments, the bad outweighed the good.

Space Leia was dumb as fuck, made no sense.
Luke dying, fuck that shit.
Han dying, stupid as fuck.

No one OG character got a good send off.

Also nobody cares about the new characters apart from Poe, as he can act. The leads were awful. Also fuck Boyega for his rant against a massive pay-cheque when all he had to do was shout "REY!". He was fine in the shitty role given to him but to backstab the people who did online. Nah dude, enjoy your SW money, you'll never be in anything as big again.

I cared more about the bomber girl that sacrificed herself to hit the ship at the start.

Top Bottom