• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will happen if Final Fantasy 7 remake fail to sell well

So gaffers, what will happen if Final Fantasy 7 remake project fail to meet square enix's expectations? Or worse if it ends up making a loss. Will square enix still make further installments? Or will they pull the plug on project and let it go the way of half life 3.

Making new games like ff16 but not what you want. I am making this thread so my fellow gamers can prepare for such possibility and not end up too disappointed.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't think you guys are seeing the big picture.

If it dosnt sell well releasing now, I'd imagine loads of major games will be delayed till after the worst of this crisis.

Digital sales will have to grow massively to compensate for the loss of retail/accessibility.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It's not just sales, from my chair here the problem is the fact part 1 & part 2 are releasing on two different console generations. It'll create a visual disparity (& affect the game world itself, i.e. not just better looking but larger areas, better AI, physics, gameplay etc.) between the beginning of the game... & the rest.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's not just sales, from my chair here the problem is the fact part 1 & part 2 are releasing on two different console generations. It'll create a visual disparity (& affect the game world itself, i.e. not just better looking but larger areas, better AI, physics, gameplay etc.) between the beginning of the game... & the rest.

I wouldn't worry. Tomb Raider 2013 looks consistent with its sequels. Gta5 is as good as anything today. Evil Within 1. Plenty of other examples.

Hostile_18

Banned
Releasing now;

+ People have lot more time on their hands with people unable to leave their house.
+Increased Digital demand.
+Game is ready to go.

-Uncertain times with low disposable money for none essential products.
-Most retail shops closed.
-Most none essential distribution chains challenged.

I'm actually shocked (but pleased) it's going to get released.

Last edited:
Bruh... SquareEnix are like totally committed to this project like no other, take it from someone who actually met some of the staff. I know it's hard to believe a company actually cares about quality over money, but seeing their passion firsthand, I firmly believe this one of those rare cases. Money will always be a factor to carry on, they need to pay the bills afterall, but I really feel the team wants to put all their resources to see this saga come to an end, this is Kitase final legacy afterall.

martino

If FF7 R fails to sell , i don't see them try again
FF7 is by far the game in the licence with best sales potential.

Last edited:

royox

Not going to happen. Amazon already said they won't be able to send all the preorders in time for launch becuase the preorders skyrocketed cause the corona quarantine shit.

Entroyp

They can always blame it on the Corona Virus. These are tough times for everyone right now Squenix so STFU and hurry up with part 2.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Not sure if it'll be a commercial success, but it's going to sell.

Who knows how much cash they're burning on this thing.

Spaceman292

Banned
The second part will be the open world segment anyway. I think it fits well.

Ellery

It is a long project and we will only be able to tell how well it has sold when all episodes have released on all platforms and some time has passed.
So it could be 6 years down the road until we truly know how well it sells.

The first episode will sell well on PS4 and then one year later will probably sell well on PC and Xbox.

If however the game actually sells extremely badly then I think the future episodes will have less time put into them and be probably released quicker (which would be a shame) like a rushed product and Square moves on, but I would be surprised if it sells badly.

Fuz

Banned
Not going to happen. Amazon already said they won't be able to send all the preorders in time for launch becuase the preorders skyrocketed cause the corona quarantine shit.
Apparently, Amazon stopped accepting non essential orders in Italy.
Good luck with ordering games.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it makes the overworld experience of the next chapter that much better, sign me up baby.

xrnzaaas

I don't think you guys are seeing the big picture.

If it dosnt sell well releasing now, I'd imagine loads of major games will be delayed till after the worst of this crisis.

Digital sales will have to grow massively to compensate for the loss of retail/accessibility.
Isn't Doom Eternal a good case already? The game seems to be selling much better than expected in digital form. Video games are very different from high budget movies which will definitely suffer major losses if they won't have proper cinema releases.

sublimit

Banned
I think there are more reasons to fear part 2 underperforming than part 1.

SE still hasn't said how many parts this thing will be and i bet if people become disappointed of the first part and part 2 undersells then part 3 (and 4?) will be rushed.

Hostile_18

Banned
Isn't Doom Eternal a good case already? The game seems to be selling much better than expected in digital form. Video games are very different from high budget movies which will definitely suffer major losses if they won't have proper cinema releases.

I'm not sure bud, havent seen the sales figures. Things are getting worse and worse in the UK on a daily basis. The country went into lockdown last night. I'd imagine the digital sales would have to be significantly be up to make up for the almost total loss of retail and peoples lack of cash (as they dont know when/if they will be paid while unable to work).

Last edited:

WorldHero

Biggest issue with the remake is the time it will take for us to get the complete version. It will take a while, not to mention, the inevitable upgrades for the PS5 and XBox Series X versions.

So the consumer will make a choice: Do they just get part 1 now or wait until next gen and potentially get more games (episodes/parts) and the better versions of them?

sublimit

Banned
Biggest issue with the remake is the time it will take for us to get the complete version. It will take a while, not to mention, the inevitable upgrades for the PS5 and XBox Series X versions.

So the consumer will make a choice: Do they just get part 1 now or wait until next gen and potentially get more games (episodes/parts) and the better versions of them?
The complete version of part 1 or the whole game?

LordKasual

Banned
So gaffers, what will happen if Final Fantasy 7 remake project fail to meet square enix's expectations? Or worse if it ends up making a loss.

literally impossible.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

but just to entertain, if it sold badly then any future installment that isn't already bankrolled will just get cut back in scale.

This is the company that tore FFXIV 1.0 to the ground and remade the entire game up from scratch. Remember that.

It's also the company who made THREE FFXIII sequels, and the third came after the second, which bombed compared to the first.

Last edited:

WorldHero

The complete version of part 1 or the whole game?

I was referring to the wait for the whole game. One can argue, it makes sense for the consumer to wait to either get the 1.) an upgraded version for next gen and 2) the likelihood of more episodes being available.

Belmonte

QGr6AG7.jpg

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
It’ll sell well.

It’ll also have a metric fuckton of normies that will reach the end credits and be like “What the fuck? I thought this was the whole game?”

The blowback will hopefully be as high as the sales.

Last edited:
the only way this game won't sell well if all of humanity is dead from the corona virus, and that won't happen, not even close. this is the biggest game hype of all time.

Life

Im guessing here but if it just released in Japan alone, it'll sell well enough to make gains. This isn't 1999 wtf kinda thread is this.

Top Bottom