• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would be the best thing for Respawn to do with Titanfall 2 right now?

I think Delaying it would be a serious overreaction to some of the complaints wagered by a very vocal minority.

The game certainly needs changes... But a good amount of it can be addressed rather simply with some number values.

1. Go back to Time to Titanfall instead of Killstreak
I don't really understand this complaint since it's still pretty easy to get a titan if you're playing at any kind of decent level and not just standing around. In bounty hunt you still get it from killing grunts and AI, which you should be doing anyway. Once the match leaders start getting titans, doing damage to them builds your meter even faster, so that balances things out somewhat too.
I don't see much of a difference from TF1 other than someone who's just not killing anything or helping won't get a titan for free.

2. Increase Movement Speed ( Both Pilots and Mechs )
Agreed, the bigger maps need some slightly faster movement, but people weren't using the slide/jump bunny hop technique either.

3. Increase TTK
I could see this, but slightly. I still got away from a lot of bad encounters in this test so having it too high would make it frustrating to kill people who wall run or stim in reaction.

4. Make Grappeling Hook Standard
I don't agree with this - it gives a huge amount of speed and movement bonuses, as well as helps rodeo titans.The other stim and hologram items are very useful too and I think it helps players specialize that they are a little softer and less able to get away when you pick the grapple hook.

5. Randomize Bank positions in Bounty to reduce camping
This could be a separate mode but I like the idea of knowing where the banks are and being able to plan ambushes. The maps also seem designed around a stationary bank with more cover and indoor areas.

6. Confirm that Attrition is coming back
Agreed - hopefully it's in the final or will be added after launch.

7. More clearly explain the shield/battery system for the Mechs to new players
Yeah, I didn't play the tutorial but there needs to be a good explanation for why you should care. It's a big part of the game.

It's hard for me to say because I actually enjoyed the game. The issue I'm having is that I want others to enjoy the game so it doesn't fail. I admit that I'm a little bit curious on why they would release this game in October in between Battlefield and Call of Duty instead of waiting until the spring. The only answer I could come up with is that EA is really put to beat Call of Duty and if they can't do it with one game, they will do it with two.

I really want this game to succeed and have a high player count because I enjoyed the tech test. I never played Titanfall before and I loved this game.

Ah, the good old "this is just an alpha/beta/demo" excuse. It sure helped Destiny and many other games.

But Destiny ended up being one of the best selling and most played games on consoles... and still loved and played by millions!?

I recently started playing it again - i used to kind of hate it but i've turned around on it.

It's hard for me to say because I actually enjoyed the game. The issue I'm having is that I want others to enjoy the game so it doesn't fail. I admit that I'm a little bit curious on why they would release this game in October in between Battlefield and Call of Duty instead of waiting until the spring. The only answer I could come up with is that EA is really put to beat Call of Duty and if they can't do it with one game, they will do it with two.

I really want this game to succeed and have a high player count because I enjoyed the tech test. I never played Titanfall before and I loved this game.

I think its because EA realized that Battlefield isn't really a pure competitor to Call of Duty. Battlefield players love battlefield and not a lot of COD players jump to Battlefield. They have a solid base of battlefield fans and COD isn't taking them away.

Titanfall would serve to take away cod players more readily than Battlefield does and is a more direct competitor.

But Destiny ended up being one of the best selling and most played games on consoles... and still loved and played by millions!?

I recently started playing it again - i used to kind of hate it but i've turned around on it.

Destiny also released in a time off little competition, with one of the largest marketing budgets ever from a really well respected studio (at least at the time :p).

So it's kinda apples and oranges IMO. Also Destiny had really sound gameplay mechanics -- it just lacked a lot of content at launch which the beta doesn't tend to highlight unlike this TF2 tech test.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
There's nothing wrong with the test -- next weekend, they are even adding more content.

Everyone is judging this test as "the full game" when it doesn't contain everything.

You can't make assumptions based on that.. you just make yourself look like an ass.
An attitude adjustment may be in order here

Yours, not the OP

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Delay it. Listen to GAF, their focus groups were obviously garbage.

Delay delay delay. Even a year if you have to.

Vire

1. Go back to Time to Titanfall instead of Killstreak
I don't really understand this complaint since it's still pretty easy to get a titan if you're playing at any kind of decent level and not just standing around. In bounty hunt you still get it from killing grunts and AI, which you should be doing anyway. Once the match leaders start getting titans, doing damage to them builds your meter even faster, so that balances things out somewhat too.
I don't see much of a difference from TF1 other than someone who's just not killing anything or helping won't get a titan for free.

2. Increase Movement Speed ( Both Pilots and Mechs )
Agreed, the bigger maps need some slightly faster movement, but people weren't using the slide/jump bunny hop technique either.

3. Increase TTK
I could see this, but slightly. I still got away from a lot of bad encounters in this test so having it too high would make it frustrating to kill people who wall run or stim in reaction.

4. Make Grappeling Hook Standard
I don't agree with this - it gives a huge amount of speed and movement bonuses, as well as helps rodeo titans.The other stim and hologram items are very useful too and I think it helps players specialize that they are a little softer and less able to get away when you pick the grapple hook.

5. Randomize Bank positions in Bounty to reduce camping
This could be a separate mode but I like the idea of knowing where the banks are and being able to plan ambushes. The maps also seem designed around a stationary bank with more cover and indoor areas.

6. Confirm that Attrition is coming back
Agreed - hopefully it's in the final or will be added after launch.

7. More clearly explain the shield/battery system for the Mechs to new players
Yeah, I didn't play the tutorial but there needs to be a good explanation for why you should care. It's a big part of the game.
There are plenty of people who struggled greatly to get a Titan in the tech test because of the Killstreak, I read it on here and Reddit. Time to Titanfall allows lower skilled players to experience the best and most interesting part of the game. It's not a big deal if they get a Titan because they won't last very long in it if they aren't good to begin with.

I don't think the TTK needs to be altered much, but at least bring it back to the first games time instead of oops I got shot in the pinky toe and now I'm dead.

Grappeling hook should be standard because the maps are designed around it. Try playing homestead without it... It's a nightmare. With it though, I'm slinging and doing all sorts of Tribes 2 kind of shit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given what I'm expecting?

Scrap it.

Release a patch for 1 that updates the visuals and adds sliding. Then sell the campaign from 2 as DLC for 1 at $40. Also add cross play to keep the population up.

Day one.

Edit. This would obviously involve selling 1 on PS4.

Honestly, they should convince EA to delay it to early 2017, give it some room to breathe, so its not being sandwiched inbetween Battlefield and Call of Duty.
That will also give them time to listen and react to the feedback they've received from the demo.

They should defenatly delay it! When I finished the beta I went back and played TF1.. It just plays better.
I can't put my finger on what makes it better but it just feels better, maybe it's level design. I'm curious to see what they have for weekend two. Don't let me down Respawn. Make TF2 more like TF1 with a true campaign and no tearing!

LB

Very small? Just 100% of their previous player base....

I still play the first game. I had fun with the tech test and don't think the sky is falling. There is still a ways to go before launch and they will make updates accordingly. If not, I will continue to play titanfall 1.

fizzwizz

Banned
There's nothing wrong with the test -- next weekend, they are even adding more content.

Everyone is judging this test as "the full game" when it doesn't contain everything.

You can't make assumptions based on that.. you just make yourself look like an ass.

The problem with the test is not lacking content, it's that the content that's there fundamentally changes a lot of what people enjoyed about the original.

Revas

The tech test not being a Titanfall game is all apart of Respawn's grand plan to counter EA's mandate that the game release this fall. Obviously it needs to be delayed until the spring so that it will have a fighting shot commercially and deliver on the promise of the first.

jdstorm

Banned
Speed up player movement.

Then slowly upgrade the game with free maps that are closer to what players experienced in the first game. While showing them off with a kickass trailer at launch

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The tech test not being a Titanfall game is all apart of Respawn's grand plan to counter EA's mandate that the game release this fall. Obviously it needs to be delayed until the spring so that it will have a fighting shot commercially and deliver on the promise of the first.

This exactly, they made an awesome first game, then turned around and broke the majority of what made it awesome.

There are two sets of people here as well. Those that have played thousands of games of titan fall already and have a preconceived notion of what the game should be, and the people playing for the first time.

If you want to be successful you don't leave the people that got you a sequel in the rear view mirror. Unless your goal is to fail.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Stick to their vision, get way better at their targeting.

If you're going in a direction to appeal to a specific demographic, then refine your segment and only give those guys access to focus on positive sentiment. Don't change fundamentals and only allow your core to play early, sets... Well, the wrong tone. Drowns out what you wanted to accomplish and what the strengths of the product are.

I'd blame EA.
Marketing mistakes.

Prolly trying to carve out a different space than B1, but T2 got the short end here.

Or at least by 1.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

And personally I'd rather see it delayed both to re-examine their motivations behind some of the game's changes and incorporate new feedback, and to place the game in a better spot in March/April of next year rather than squished between several other big online shooters.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I don't think I've read a single complaint about lack of content in the tech test. It's certainly not my complaint.

"Everyone" is judging the tech test on how it plays, as they should. You can certainly make assumptions on that. fact, you'd be silly not too as this close to release THIS IS how the game will play. These maps SHOW how the design has changed.

jdstorm

Banned
I think its because EA realized that Battlefield isn't really a pure competitor to Call of Duty. Battlefield players love battlefield and not a lot of COD players jump to Battlefield. They have a solid base of battlefield fans and COD isn't taking them away.

Titanfall would serve to take away cod players more readily than Battlefield does and is a more direct competitor.

I think EA viewed Battlefield and Titanfall as 2 very different games. Just how Forza/GT (Battlefield) is completely different to FZero/Wipeout. (Titanfall) despite being within the same genre

I would have delayed it even without the poor reception. EA is sending this game to die. Even if it doesn't die, it's definitely not going to reach its full potential releasing between BF1 and COD

As far as the changes go, the game felt completely different and all I personally was looking for was TF 1 released on all platforms with a bit more content

Welfare

Delay it to the spring. There is zero reason why and how this game is coming out less than 3 years after the first one between BF1 and CoD IW.

I was pretty much fine with the tech test. I never played the first so I mean take my opinion on that I supposed but I enjoyed it for the most part.

I think there are things they can change between now and release but the fundamental gameplay will be mostly the same.

They could hatch some sort of microtransaction plan to fund "free" post-release updates like new/better maps and AI in MP, stuff like that. I dont really see them delaying this. At best theyll make post-release promises.

I mean, 343 released a feature-lacking clearly unfinished product with Halo 5 but those microtranactions eventually carried it to the real finish line. If they got away with it then so could Respawn.

Gator86

They need to delay it and seriously rethink the direction they are taking this franchise (aka backwards).

This. It's just COD with mech killstreaks now. It's going to get murdered sandwiched between BF1 and actual COD. I have no clue what their plan is.

Strike

Delay. Holiday season is crowded enough, especially when it comes to shooters. If it's good people will buy it regardless.

Jigorath

Banned
Probably too late now. I don't think EA is going to let them skip the holidays unless the game is completely broken.

Maybe Titanfall 3 can be a proper successor to the first game.

They want more and longer support from gamers and making it more like cod mw tyke games instead of a more extreme version of those games is how they figured they can do this.

It happened with socom, halo, and many other games copying basic formulas like sprint and scopes.

In the end of they make more money and have more casual players they won't care

Why would they delay otbcause thier smaller base isn't happy with it?

I'd ask if they have more players and more money do you really think they care about you or the players they lost in that transition?

Ominym

Banned
Continue as planned? Titanfall 2 might not be made for us, but it's made for someone and this version of Titanfall seems like what they want to make. Hyperbole thy name is GAF.

Continue as planned? Titanfall 2 might not be made for us, but it's made for someone and this version of Titanfall seems like what they want to make. Hyperbole thy name is GAF.
Yes

Not saying they can't do better with being completely different and more crazy but it isn't what the company believes in and not what they are trying.

They are the creators of mw so maybe they can pull it off.

I'm for halo being halo and rainbow siege not having any ideas from cod overall and feel it will only benefit them but devs and publishers just don't want totaled the chance most of the time.

Seijuro

More time in the oven is whats needed. No neeed to send it out to die between this years biggest heavy hitters either.

TF2 in April or May would be a great spring game to play. CoD and BF should settle by that point and allow TF2 to breathe a little more.

But honestly, I felt bored when playing.

Delay it to Q1 2017 and revert all the stupid changes. The maps are probably done and can't be changed but they need to make better designed maps in future updates.

Corpekata

Banned
95% of players drop 95% of games quickly. Then three years later, they see the trailer for the sequel and buy the next game.

And aren't spending money on their expensive DLCs and microtransactions. Games like these aren't successful if they aren't hooking you into their ecosystem these days.

Top Bottom