• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you consider the best gameplay, story, OST and graphics of a game respectively?

Title is a bit confusing so here's my example.

Gameplay: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Story: Metal Gear Solid 2

OST: Ghostrunner

Visuals: Guilty Gear Strive

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
That's really tough, man. I don't think I could declare any game to have my favorite gameplay. The shortlist is too long to even call it a shortlist.

Story? Maybe Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I'm also really into the stories in Remedy games, Alan Wake is a strong contender.

OST probably goes to The Witcher, the first one. Get Even also has a really killer soundtrack.

Visuals? Well I'm always behind on new releases, so my answers might seem silly. The Witcher 3 has an amazing sky, the way the clouds affect sunlight is just stunning. The weather, wind, and flora all look amazing. I've played more recent open world games with much more impressive technology, and with much better textures and facial animations, but overall they weren't as great to look at as The Witcher 3.
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games have really beautiful environments. Great atmosphere.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gameplay: TLOU 2
Story: TLOU 2
Graphics: TLOU 2 at time of release, surpassed by like maybe 1 game since.
OST: GTA Vice City

Pimpollo818

Gay. Here's all 3 in 1 game:

Story: finale, where the "twist" occurs

Graphics: Flying Colossus

OST:

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Diablo 2 has my favorite gameplay . I can come back to it over and over.

Story 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim or Nier Automata depending on the week.

OST final fantasy xi online.

Graphics is a two fold punch. If we mean visual art style I really just love looking at Diablo 2 Resurrected . If we mean overall prowess then RE4 remake just slaps to look at. The hair and lighting is top notch.

Overall best game ever ? Final Fantasy XI online

Gameplay is the toughest for me to decide just do the different types of games, the others are a no brainer. I would probably go with this:

Gameplay - Bloodborne
Story - The Last of Us
OST - Persona 5
Graphics - Horizon forbidden West (or just guerrilla games)

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
GOW III is the answer to all 4 categories.
But gameplay wise I loved Death stranding.
Story it is MGS2.
OST gow games are the best. Still listening to GOW II every few weeks.
Visuals I will say Demon's souls remake. Just beautiful. And I can understand that some people have a different opinion but it is what a remake should try to do: make all the game as beautiful as they can. That game is so pretty that when you have been playing PS4 a few weeks before you can say confidently this is a new gen. Hope that more games like that arrives for next gen soon.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Gameplay: Battlefield 4
Story: Final Fantasy XIV
OST: World of Warcraft
Graphics: Horizon Forbidden West

SeraphJan

Gameplay: Sekiro
Story: Silent Hill 2
Presentation: Uncharted 4
OST: Final Fantasy Tactics
Graphic Fidelity: Matrix Demo
Art Style: Tactics Ogre

PS: Presentation and Story are two entirely different things, when 2 people commune using the term Story but they might subconsciously talking apple and orange. Story is the content, Presentation is how that content was presented to you, For example Uncharted games typically have 10/10 presentation, people was like oh shit the story is so good, while some other dude might be reading text from Bloodborne and came to the conclusion, hmm the Story is very interesting.... When they commune they would never reach an agreement what count as a good story.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Gameplay: Halo, Wolfenstein, Ori, World of Warcraft
Story: The Wirld of Warcraft
Graphic Fidelity: RDR 2, Flight Sim
Art Style: Cuphead, Ori

Last edited:
Long post alert!

Gameplay: DOOM 1 & 2 (PC)
The first two DOOM games on PC have felt so good to play since they came out, and still do to this day thanks to numerous source ports, modders, or even just DOS emulation. I can play using the keyboard-only layout or with an updated WASD-and-mouse-based control scheme, and love moving around with both.
Runner-up: OG Resident Evil 4 (GC, but especially on PC with the HD pack)
Every part of OG RE4's gameplay holds up IMO, so much so that I can play the GC original or PC version with HD pack and have a great time on both. Playing the game for the first time offers tension in certain areas, but on subsequent playthroughs you'll feel like a one-man army. Once you understand all the enemy attack patterns, the subtleties of moving around, and how to efficiently use your arsenal of weapons, you'll be unstoppable.

Story: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Some people think the 3rd game (Trials and Tribulations) has the best cases and plot, but I give full credit to the original Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney. I played the shit out of the DS version, which was the first one to receive an English localization, and which I considered the gold standard as far as decent localizations (compared to what we used to get).
The dialogue is so good in both the Japanese original and the English localization, and makes each character's personality shine. And speaking of characters, I'd even argue that Phoenix is one of the most relatable and inspiring video game protagonists ever.
Play this game any way you can, it's been ported to so many systems so many times there's just no excuse.

OST: Chrono Trigger
As amazing and significant to video game music Nobuo Uematsu is, my favorite composer is Yasunori Mitsuda, who I feel outshined Uematsu with the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. The man was so dedicated to the soundtrack that he shat blood and had to have Uematsu fill in for some tracks.
I can listen to every track in the game back-to-back, or any given track on loop for an hour at a time. Brink of Time and Corridors of Time specifically might be my favorite two songs in all of gaming.
For any other Mitsuda fans, you'll notice that this soundtrack comes before he started heavily incorporating his signature Celtic style into his music (such as in Xenogears or Chrono Cross). I like both styles.
Runner-ups: Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Cross, Tekken 2
Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack left one of the biggest impressions on me when I was young. I feel all of the tracks hold up to this day, and with any track that plays I can instantly recall which scene(s) the track plays in.

I've only played Chrono Cross for about 10 minutes, but the soundtrack alone is my 2nd favorite of all time, that's how good it is. Forest of Cutting Shadows is my favorite track from it, but much like Trigger's soundtrack, I can listen to each track back-to-back or any given track for an hour at a time.
It has Mitsuda's Celtic style that I mentioned previously, along with the upgrade in music quality allowed by the PSX soundchip (and CD audio for certain tracks).

I'm not good at fighting games at all, but I love listening to the music from the Tekken games. In particular, the PSX arrangement of the Tekken 2 soundtrack. Namco went all out with their PSX-exclusive arrangements for the first 3 Tekken games. The fact that you can toggle between the arrangements or the originals makes these games
GOAT'd as far as fighting games.

Graphics:
Resident Evil Remake (GameCube)
This is the game whose graphics wow'd me the most in my gaming life, compared to anything I had seen before. It was such an improvement on RE1's and RE2's graphics, and made the original game actually scary to me.
Runner-ups: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2), DOOM 2016 (PC)
MGS2 was the biggest jump in graphical improvement I've ever felt in my gaming life. It was also the game that made me say "so THIS is what the PS2 has to offer!"

DOOM 2016 blended the feel of the DOOM universe with the sensibilities of a modern FPS, and improved on them as well. Another game that made me say "holy shit this is so good."

Gameplay: Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta or Vanquish

Story: Max Payne 1 & 2

OST: Anno series

Visuals: I guess RDR2 set the bar for current gen, but already last gen.

Ogbert

Gameplay: Destiny 2 or Mario. Can’t decide.

Story: Bioshock

OST: Ori and the Will o’the Wisps.

Visuals: Probably Horizon.

Gameplay: The Legend of Heroes Franchise

Story: The Legend of Heroes Franchise

Graphic Fidelity: Luigi Mansion 3, Ghost of Tsushima, The Witcher 3, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Kena

Art Style: Okami, Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Odin Sphere

Music: Chrono Trigger, The Witcher 3, Xenogears

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Gameplay: MGS V: Phantom Pain

Story: TLOU Part 1 and 2

Graphic Fidelity: Cyberpunk 2077

Music: Octopath Traveler

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Gameplay: Thief II: The Metal Age.
Story: Thief II: The Metal Age.
OST: Thief II: The Metal Age.
Graphics: Literally any game that doesn't use photorealism of any kind. So Thief II: The Metal Age.

Tahj

Gameplay: Returnal / Borderlands 3
Story: Final Fantasy VII
OST: Borderlands 3 (particularly Maliwan Takedown & Revenge of the Cartels)
Graphics: Horizon: Forbidden West

Top Bottom