• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What you want to see in a next Splinter Cell game?

VulcanRaven

Michael Ironside appeared as Sam Fisher in Ghost Recon: Wildlands DLC so it is likely that they are making or at least planning a new Splinter Cell game. The series should go back to its roots if it happens. Conviction was fun but that is not what I want from a Splinter Cell game. I tried Blacklist and it didn't seem much different. The gameplay should be slower like in the earlier games but better of course. I also hope they don't copy MGSV too much because SC doesn't need to be open-world. Many Ground Zeroes like open levels maybe but no open-world. Graphics could also be better if the game was more linear. Old Splinter Cell games had impressive lighting effects so they could try to do that again with modern graphics.

Older games had great visual style
box-tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-pc-4.jpg

splintercellchaostheory_1.jpg

Last edited:

Breakage

More closed nighttime urban environments.
I wouldn't mind if the entire game only featured evening and nighttime levels.

- Not open World

- Original SvM multiplayer, As in spies don't have guns, basic gadgets such as flash bangs, emp grenades, noise makers etc.

- Micheal Ironside (Let's be honest, This will happen. Ubi are not going to splash out the cash to have him for a cameo in one game)

- Classic gameplay that's focus on stealth rather than action.

Breakage

This would be great. I want to see urban enviroments too and not MGSV like deserts.
Yeah, that's what I loved about the Gen 6 original Xbox Splinter Cells where the player got to infiltrate tightly focused ordinary-looking buildings and facilities under the cover of darkness. –that for me represents the true Splinter Cell experience. The nothingness of the open world really puts me off MGSV. I suppose that's why some people prefer the restrained design of Ground Zeroes.

Last edited:
i don't want more of the same thing that old-school splinter cells fans keep asking for. improved on the things Blacklist did

jowell24

i don't want more of the same thing that old-school splinter cells fans keep asking for. improved on the things Blacklist did

Yes please. I was very happy with both the single player and coop experience in Blacklist. A continuation and improvement of that would be my most obvious desire for the game.

This also reminds me that I tried out the multiplayer a few months after its release and had a pretty sour experience with the cheaters/hackers in online matches. Tried to play it for a day with friend and dropped it like a hot potato.

PC btw

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Blacklist "not much different" from Conviction? You didn't play Blacklist, or you weren't paying attention. Blacklist was damn good, and may be second only to Chaos Theory in the series imo. Huge step in the right direction at minimum.

Paasei

More urban setting. Would be amazing if it were to be a mix between Chaos Theory and Blacklist. Seems that the ones who like Blacklist are in the minority here, but I still think it's a great game.

Stealth, stealth, stealth and more focus on stealth.

Last edited:
I stopped playing games in this series after Double Agent, correct me if I'm wrong but it moved away from the whole "hiding in the shadows" thing, right? Did Blacklist bring that back?

If not then bring back the emphasis on hiding in shadows, bring back Michael Ironside again (NEVER change voice actors if you can help it, that's a big problem I had with MGSV) and bring back the multiplayer circa Pandora Tomorrow, which I never had the opportunity to try online.

And for goodness sake don't make it open world, there's just too many of those these days.

So basically make a new game in the vein of the first 3, but with prettier graphics.

Calibos

I'm good with Blacklist choice style gameplay, kitten, bobcat panther or whatever it was because Blacklist was an amazing game.

I want a few things on top of that:

-Michael Ironside in some form

-NO batvision mechanic.

-Darkness and Light only for stealth. NO desaturation or overbright shadows.

-NO Battle Royale

Allandor

Back to the roots.
"Pandora Tomorrow" or the first one.

But please, no conviction. I acutally liked it after playing not splinter cell in quite some time, but this is more a third person shooter. I want a splinter cell again were you can really choose how you progress.

VulcanRaven

Blacklist "not much different" from Conviction? You didn't play Blacklist, or you weren't paying attention. Blacklist was damn good, and may be second only to Chaos Theory in the series imo. Huge step in the right direction at minimum.
I played it few hours and it didn't feel much different. Other thing I didn't like was Sam's new voice actor. I didn't even recognize him in the opening cutscene until someone said his name. I should probably try it again.

This Chaos Theory trailer was awesome

Last edited:

Mobius01

• Michael Ironside
  • Claudia Besso
  • No X-Ray Vision / Goggles
  • Light / Sound Meter
  • CT's lethal and non-lethal takedowns.

Last edited:

Aces&Eights

* No open world. Let me break into buildings and mansions and creep around killing from the shadows.
* No flashy executions. A simple neck break is all I want.
* Spy Vs. Merc!
* Meaty campaign. This is one of those game that 14-16 hours is not too long for a SP. Just keep each level engaging and fresh.

eso76

I am a sucker for open world, just NOT in my Splinter Cell.
But I would really like open levels/maps.

- The game should have a linear progression but a sandbox approach to single levels and objectives (in spoiler tags just to keep the bullet point list short)
I would really like an infiltration / stealth game where the (IE) building you're infiltrating is fully modeled and realistically built in a way that makes sense; not around your mission objectives.
You're given the buildings' blueprints to examine before starting the mission are given multiple solutions and complete freedom on how to reach your objectives.

- My own "hide and seek" AI (i detailed the logic behind it a very old thread).
Have enemies behave realistically while looking for you, and also have just the right amount of predictability you can factor in gameplay to fool them.
- Cutting edge tech that used to be a series' staple before Conviction.
- Ironside.

I'm telling you, I should totally be in charge of rebooting the series.

VulcanRaven

Did anyone here like Double Agent? Many seem to dislike the 360/PS3 version of the game for some reason. I thought it was great. PS2/original Xbox version is better but I like both.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok here's what needs to happen

#1. Spy vs. Mercs 2v2 mode is a classic and a must.
#2. Co-op campaign is a pipe dream but it would be nice.
#3. A return to modern visions (night vision, thermal vision...that's it)
#4. No marking (a la rainbow six, ghost recon, splinter cell blacklist/conviction)
#5. Super Smart AI (Reacts realistically to sound, visual and environmental cues.
#6. No 1 hit stab-n-dab moves for spies in spies vs mercs. Make it more like pandora tomorrow or chaos theory. Get that neck.
#7. Please no open world. Linear is fine and tell a story to match the linearity.

Terra_Ex

Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher.
Not like Conviction, gameplay should be closer to the old games, Double Agent struck an ok balance I guess.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Chaos Theory 2, why is that so difficult

I'm surprised MS has not created a game that's that just a rip off , it looked like that black tusk game was going to be like that until they started working on gears

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I didn’t play every SC so I can’t tell you about what should be included or not. In the last four years Stealth has been magnified so much so that developers hand pick that aspect as a second option for gamers. They should load a badass story around Sam Fisher and gift a remastered collection to all consoles.

Ballthyrm

I would go for a straight remake of the 1st or 2nd . Don't fix what's not broken.
They are doing some of that with Resident Evil and Shadow of the Colossus.

Relearn the basics before doing anything crazy.

brian0057

Banned
Double Agent with the stealth gameplay of Chaos Theory.
Be more Thief/Styx/Mark of the Ninja and less Metal Gear/Dishonored. You're better than that, Ubisoft.

Blacklist was a small step in the right direction.

EDIT: And, of course, Michael Ironside returning as Fisher. It's like David Hayter but good.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The guy who posted that tweet is Corporate Vice President of Xbox. I hope they don't have some timed exclusive deal.
Its not gonna be Xbox exclusive or even timed exclusive. There is simply no way. At best, MS has marketing rights and might have some exclusive cheap DLC. PS4 has too much of an advantage for that to be economically viable for Ubisoft or MS.

Showing up on the VPs twitter means nothing.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just follow up Blacklist, it was pretty good and so much better than MGSV when all was said and done after all, despite some flaws. Just do it bigger, better, tougher, maybe with more emphasis on on-site procurement and less unlocking crap in your armory leaving that stuff for mission replays and extra modes. Maybe also have the option to play the whole thing in FPV, replacing the sticky cover mode with standard crouch and lean controls as in old school tactical PC FPS. I enjoyed the FPS missions in Blacklist even though they banned you from using some of your stealth moves which could have been included if they didn't want to make that other agent very different to Sam. Oh and if they can't give us a good story then screw that, just give us a basic set up for largely stand alone missions so they can be super varied and the game can be expanded if it does well enough too, it was pretty lame we never got any more stant alone missions like the one on the yacht for Blacklist. Of course it would be better if we could get both a good story and cool stand alone missions beyond (or even story based expansions). And make the mark and execute stuff a handicap only available on the easiest difficulties rather than only disabled on the highest. Also, don't do the cop out with larger missions having clear checkpoints where nothing you did in the previous parts matters, go all the way and make them all seamless and continuous like mini sandboxes. With our luck it's gonna be fully open world with the usual Ubisoft open world crap and even more flawed systems in an attempt to one up MGSV despite its failings, ending up with a worse game closer to nu-Ghost Recon (old school Ghost Recon rocked hard) than anything else :(

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Open world
Towers or something similar to climb to reveal undiscovered parts of the map
Skill trees
Weapon upgrades
Crafting
Co op
Side missions

It’s a Ubisoft game. All of that will be included.

juliotendo

Michael Ironside appeared as Sam Fisher in Ghost Recon: Wildlands DLC so it is likely that they are making or at least planning a new Splinter Cell game. The series should go back to its roots if it happens. Conviction was fun but that is not what I want from a Splinter Cell game. I tried Blacklist and it didn't seem much different. The gameplay should be slower like in the earlier games but better of course. I also hope they don't copy MGSV too much because SC doesn't need to be open-world. Many Ground Zeroes like open levels maybe but no open-world. Graphics could also be better if the game was more linear. Old Splinter Cell games had impressive lighting effects so they could try to do that again with modern graphics.

Older games had great visual style
box-tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-pc-4.jpg

splintercellchaostheory_1.jpg

They could pretty much remaster the original trilogy with modernized graphics and effects and it would be a good start.

I remember playing all 3 of them back in the day and they were always excellent experiences and worth their purchase price.

Top Bottom