• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What your movie preferences reveal about your personality traits

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
First a primer on the Big Five traits:

Openness to experience is a general appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. People who are open to experience are intellectually curious, open to emotion, sensitive to beauty and willing to try new things. They tend to be, when compared to closed people, more creative and more aware of their feelings. They are also more likely to hold unconventional beliefs. High openness can be perceived as unpredictability or lack of focus, and more likely to engage in risky behavior or drug-taking.[37] Moreover, individuals with high openness are said to pursue self-actualization specifically by seeking out intense, euphoric experiences.
  • I have excellent ideas.
  • I am quick to understand things.
  • I use difficult words.
  • I am full of ideas.
Conscientiousness is a tendency to display self-discipline, act dutifully, and strive for achievement against measures or outside expectations. It is related to the way in which people control, regulate, and direct their impulses. High conscientiousness is often perceived as being stubborn and focused. Low conscientiousness is associated with flexibility and spontaneity, but can also appear as sloppiness and lack of reliability.[36] High scores on conscientiousness indicate a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior.[39] The average level of conscientiousness rises among young adults and then declines among older adults.
  • I am always prepared.
  • I pay attention to details.
  • I get chores done right away.
  • I like order.
  • I follow a schedule.
  • I am exacting in my work.
Extraversion is characterized by breadth of activities (as opposed to depth), surgency from external activity/situations, and energy creation from external means.[41] The trait is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy interacting with people, and are often perceived as full of energy. They tend to be enthusiastic, action-oriented individuals. They possess high group visibility, like to talk, and assert themselves. Extraverted people may appear more dominant in social settings, as opposed to introverted people in this setting.[42]
  • I am the life of the party.
  • I do not mind being the center of attention.
  • I feel comfortable around people.
  • I start conversations.
Agreeableness reflects individual differences in general concern for social harmony. Agreeable individuals value getting along with others. They are generally considerate, kind, generous, trusting and trustworthy, helpful, and willing to compromise their interests with others.[1] Agreeable people also have an optimistic view of human nature.
  • I am interested in people.
  • I sympathize with others' feelings.
  • I have a soft heart.
  • I take time out for others.
  • I feel others' emotions.
  • I make people feel at ease.
Neuroticism is the tendency to experience negative emotions, such as anger, anxiety, or depression.[47] It is sometimes called emotional instability, or is reversed and referred to as emotional stability. According to Hans Eysenck's (1967) theory of personality, neuroticism is interlinked with low tolerance for stress or aversive stimuli.[48] Neuroticism is a classic temperament trait that has been studied in temperament research for decades, before it was adapted by the FFM.[49] Those who score high in neuroticism are emotionally reactive and vulnerable to stress. They are more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening. They can perceive minor frustrations as hopelessly difficult. They also tend to be flippant in the way they express emotions. Their negative emotional reactions tend to persist for unusually long periods of time, which means they are often in a bad mood.
  • I get irritated easily.
  • I get stressed out easily.
  • I get upset easily.
  • I have frequent mood swings.

EnvukYqWMAQxcak

Fans of "high-quality" movies are high in Openness, reflecting creativity and curiosity; artsy intellectual types.

Fans of popular movies are high in Conscientiousness and Extraversion, reflecting social conformity and sociability; Joe Sixpack.

Fans of family movies and people who dislike crime movies are high in Agreeableness, reflecting emotionally sensitivity and sympathy; moms.

Fans of crime movies and people who dislike family movies are low in Agreeableness and high in Extraversion; outgoing stern-faced types.

Fans of sci-fi and fantasy movies are high in Openness and low in Extraversion and Conscientiousness; introverted disorganized creative-minded neeeeerds.

Fans of horror movies are high in Neuroticism and low in Agreeableness and Extraversion; people who wear leather trench coats alone at home while hating the world.

Fans of sports movies are high in Conscientiousness, Extraversion, and Agreeableness, and low in Openness and Neuroticism; you're probably a regional sales manager and have a solid structured life.

What do your movie preferences say about you?

highrider

Banned
I like all kinds of movies tho. These days most people I know only go to movies with special effects, big blockbusters like Marvel or Star Wars. It’s just a pricey outing particularly if you have kids.

TindalosPup

I'm a leather trenchcoat wearing, nerd, mom by these standards

I wonder if documentaries and historical films mean something as well (probably extra nerd points)

Tbf, it's a pretty accurate view of me

I mostly try to watch high quality films and science fiction fantasy so I am a artsy intellectual, introverted disorganized creative-minded neeeeerd.
But I will also watch mainstream blockbusters, comedies, and horror films just to be with the crowd and see how they are and not be so neeeeerd. lol

-Arcadia-

Banned
Maybe you’re well-rounded if you like a bunch of them?

I’m definitely not into crime or sports movies, though. Not for the cited reasons — they’re just boring. On the first, depressing, full of themselves, and always starring Robert De Niro or Al Pacino, and the sports is just literally the same story about triumphing against adversity, over and over again.

I’m definitely not into crime or sports movies, though. Not for the cited reasons — they’re just boring. On the first, depressing, full of themselves, and always starring Robert De Niro or Al Pacino, and the sports is just literally the same story about triumphing against adversity, over and over again.
I have an extensive collection of horror movies, and a pantry full of Jiffy pop

6PZbXdI.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Estrogen detected!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

EnvukYqWMAQxcak

Fans of "high-quality" movies are high in Openness, reflecting creativity and curiosity; artsy intellectual types.

Fans of popular movies are high in Conscientiousness and Extraversion, reflecting social conformity and sociability; Joe Sixpack.

Fans of family movies and people who dislike crime movies are high in Agreeableness, reflecting emotionally sensitivity and sympathy; moms.

Fans of crime movies and people who dislike family movies are low in Agreeableness and high in Extraversion; outgoing stern-faced types.

Fans of sci-fi and fantasy movies are high in Openness and low in Extraversion and Conscientiousness; introverted disorganized creative-minded neeeeerds.

Fans of horror movies are high in Neuroticism and low in Agreeableness and Extraversion; people who wear leather trench coats alone at home while hating the world.

Fans of sports movies are high in Conscientiousness, Extraversion, and Agreeableness, and low in Openness and Neuroticism; you're probably a regional sales manager and have a solid structured life.

I'm not really on that list. By genre...possibly but I studied cinema and was actually aiming for a career in animation in my late-teens. I studied film from the 1920's-1990's of all genres. The studies reflect my interest or preference. I've seen quite a few movies past the year 1998 until now...and I exclude all but maybe two from my preferences. That's why you need a category that just says: Dinosaur in the computer age.

brap

Banned
The Guardian.com

How GamerGate Harassed Me For trolling My Opinions On Crime and Sports Movies

My Patreon is now open.
Just donated. I can't afford my rent for the next month but this is much more worth it.
But seriously surprised to see you don't like crime movies. In my experience women love that shit.

Kadayi

Banned
Mulholland Drive, Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, The Seven Samurai, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Social Network, Heat, Goodfellas, Conan The Barbarian, Groundhog Day, Sicario, Once Upon a Time in the West, Aliens, Way of The Gun, Point Break

I don't know... I just really like films ... :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just donated. I can't afford my rent for the next month but this is much more worth it.
But seriously surprised to see you don't like crime movies. In my experience women love that shit.

I don’t know about that, lol, but at least my mom is crazy for them. My dad was too, so I kind of got my fill of them growing up.

I just... I don’t know. I exaggerated to be funny, but I just don’t find a whole lot of interest in them. They always seem kind of sad, downtrodden, really long, and of course, the inevitable happens in the end.

They kind of feel like Oscar Bait to me. Like that kind of lifeless movie that checks off everything you’re supposed to do, with the highest production values, but doesn’t really have a soul, or a rounded emotional portrayal and story itself.

This is going to cause such an argument, lol. So, I will watch Scarface and a few others for the first time as an adult, sometime, and see if I change my mind.

teezzy

Banned

You lost me halfway through this post.

Sign me up for all of the above.

Tesseract

Banned
if i'm tuning out, some kind of action adventure comedy drama works well

last crusade types, otherwise a good war documentary will do

try to watch everything tho

Last edited:

Tschumi

sadly my range of movies doesn't quite fit into these pointers... i went through the 'high quality' phase... but these days i just rewatch ghibli, kurosawa, 90s john grisham adaptations, tv shows like dalziel and pascoe, or star trek TNG, documentaries, iron chef... aside from all of them being intensely nostalgic experiences i'm all over the damn place i dunno what that says about me

Last edited by a moderator:

O-N-E

sadly my range of movies doesn't quite fit into these pointers... i went through the 'high quality' phase... but these days i just rewatch ghibli, kurosawa, 90s john grisham adaptations, tv shows like dalziel and pascoe, or star trek TNG, documentaries, iron chef... aside from all of them being intensely nostalgic experiences i'm all over the damn place i dunno what that says about me

You're content in your bubble.

Nothing new comes in. Nothing new comes out.

Damn they really had to go there, huh?

Spaceman292

Banned

EnvukYqWMAQxcak

Yeah this is all complete bullshit

Top Bottom