• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats a game that should fit your taste exactly but you just couldn't get into?

Recently i've been playing disco elysium and it took me about a week to finish day one. This game speaks to everything I love about gaming, but for some reason I just can't vibe with it. I love games Like DOS 1 and 2, Wasteland series, and quite a few point and click adventure...despite this being a combination of all of those great games I just can't get into it. What games fit your taste exactly that no matter how much you tried just didn't speak to you?

thatJohann

Subnautica.

I love slow paced walking sims, especially if it's exploring nature, like Firewatch. i love the concept of Subnautica but every time I try I get so overwhelmed with the inventory management and all that nonsense of collecting and fabricating that I just swim with the fishes, take a couple of snaps, and call it quits.

Guilty_AI

FFXV. Modern fantasy setting? Scenic road trips in a open world? Amazing soundtrack? Count me in.
Except i couldn't even bring myself to finish the game, and i really tried to like it.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

God of War OG Series

Greek mythology is interesting and the brutal gameplay is cool, but the game just doesn't click with me.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A Hat in Time. Big PS1 era 3D platformer fan, big 3D Mario fan. Waited until it 1.0'd or whatever on Steam.

Felt janky as fuck across the first level, dropped it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Souls games

I love medieval fantasy settings, I love third person action games, I love hack and slash combat, I love open world exploration, I love RPG mechanics / leveling up. I should love all of these games, but I've tried over and over and over again to get into them and just cannot.

From Software's Souls series of games.

I like exploration and these games have that covered and the world is fascinating but the few times I tried to get started in a Souls game I abandoned the game each time. I don't mind the difficulty, that's part of it's thing, I don't mind the jank and assume it's not a thing anymore in modern From Soft games. I really like games that don't explain things to me as it's me discovering every facet of the game on my own. I literally just keep losing interest in them, maybe it's the pacing or the setting itself.

tylrdiablos

Mass Effect.
I love sci-fi. Space-ships, multiple alien races, a good amount... take my money!

But for some reason ME just bored the life out of me. I wanted to like it, I've restarted it 4 times... I just can't stick with it for more than a few hours. It's bored and clunky.
Oddly enough, I did stick 30-40 hours into Mass Effect 3's multiplayer swarm/horde mode.... and I loved it.

Monster Hunter.
I've tried and tried but can't get into. Coming off of the best combat, in my opinion, in gaming, Souls games, and then going to MonHun. I should love it, but the animations aren't great, I hate not having health bars on enemies, some of the combos are janky and them running away when almost dead is just annoying. I know it's specific to that game, but I guess I just don't like them.

Jedi: Fallen Order.

It was made by key members of GoW3 and Ascension, so it should have been right up my alley. But the combat's unfortunately very Soulsborne: it's a defense-heavy, lock-on dependent system that falls apart anytime you're fighting mutiple enemies at once. The crowd-control, offense-focused power fantasy that they'd perfected in GoW was nowhere to be found.

It shocked me how much playing JFO made me appreciate games I'd initially dismissed, like DmC Definitive Edition and even GoW2018.

Last edited:

Fbh

Monster Hunter.

Go up against giant monsters in fun and challenging combat with a variety of cool weapon and armors? Yes please.
But the grind, farming and repetition just kills it for me.

Exoil

Sekiro. Love all the other Soulsborne games but can't get into it.

Horizon. I very much enjoy open world games from GoT, Assassins Creed to Fenyx and so on. I've been trying multiple times now to get into Aloys story but I can't. Altough the PS5 patch helps a bit.

Bartski

Gold Member
Control. 3rd person action-adventure, looks great, lots of cool shooting, destruction, superpowers, and abstract Lynch-inspired plot, what's not to love? The map. I dropped this game halfway through because of it twice.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Recently i've been playing disco elysium and it took me about a week to finish day one. This game speaks to everything I love about gaming, but for some reason I just can't vibe with it. I love games Like DOS 1 and 2, Wasteland series, and quite a few point and click adventure...despite this being a combination of all of those great games I just can't get into it. What games fit your taste exactly that no matter how much you tried just didn't speak to you?
The last I remember was Resident Evil 7. I don't like where they took the story and it just seemed like a cheap B-movie director's version remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Nothing about it to me had elements or the ambience of a Resident Evil game.

Mozzarella

Dragon's Dogma.
Dark Fantasy RPG, a type of games i generally enjoy but this one i disliked it. A lot of design choices annoyed me, the traversal was very tedious with the stamina limitation and no exciting way to travel. The Pawn A.I was annoying with repeated samey lines and terrible combat management. The quests are fetch quests with no interesting dialogue, writing or design. The writing as a whole was very bland and looked bad right from the start. The enemies respawn and are spoonges which made the combat get tiring pretty quick, and the music and the art direction screamed mediocre.
I played for around 20 hours and called it a day, its a very boring and mediocre game that was hyped to me just because of its combat and class system. I realized at that day, that combat alone cannot save an open world RPG. If you want to care only about combat then simply make an action game with levels and save all the trouble.

eNT1TY

I thought i would be all up in Returnal's nuts. Played it for like 4 hours then kinda lost interest. Was impressed during those few hours and had fun but the urge to keep going after my two sessions subsided and never returned. Oddly enough i dropped the game for 13 Sentinels at the time.

bbeach123

Pillars of eternity .

I though it would be up to my alley , but god the writing . After getting headache reading like 10s of the (what does it called ? soul reading ?) Ima be fuck this shit im out . Who the fuck write these pointless vague stupid ass shit.

BigBooper

Divinity OS 2. I played Divinity OS1, and the prior Divinity games and liked almost all of them. I like the Baldur's Gate style CRPGs. DOS2 just felt miserable to play. It's interface is so complicated, and the graphical presentation was so busy, and the dialog was so tedious that I just can't enjoy it.

I thought i would be all up in Returnal's nuts. Played it for like 4 hours then kinda lost interest. Was impressed during those few hours and had fun but the urge to keep going after my two sessions subsided and never returned. Oddly enough i dropped the game for 13 Sentinels at the time.
Strange. I was the exact opposite. I expected to not like it, but absolutely loved it and still wanted to keep playing even after getting the platinum.

kiphalfton

Jedi: Fallen Order.

It was made by key members of GoW3 and Ascension, so it should have been right up my alley. But the combat's unfortunately very Soulsborne: it's a defense-heavy, lock-on dependent system that falls apart anytime you're fighting mutiple enemies at once. The crowd-control, offense-focused power fantasy that they'd perfected in GoW was nowhere to be found.

Tried out DmC: Definitive Edition right after deleting JFO and was shocked at how much more I enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't feel like a Jedi. A Padawan maybe, but definitely not a Jedi.

Wildebeest

Civilization VI. Been playing Civ games from the original. I can't seem to get any enjoyment from the latest version at all, and can't even bring myself to even get midway through a game.

The Last of Us.

I love stealth games. Might be my favorite genre of games. But I just hated playing it. It was too predictable. On top of a building. There's a random blank of wood to get to the next rooftop. Turn a corner to find a bunch of highway dividers facing one direction; guess I know there's an encounter coming and exactly what direction its coming from. There was just a lot stuff like that.

Liked watching it. Hated playing it.

brian0057

Banned
I love Metroidvanias but I really have no interest in Hollow Knight.

It has a really lazy/bad art style and it’s fanbase can be almost as annoying as Undertale’s.
Ok, I need some context for this because I'm genuinely curious and this take is reaching the Draper Point.
I personally think Hollow Knight has one of the most beautiful art styles in gaming I've seen in a while.

As for the fanbase, I don't know. I just recently played the game for the first time.

Sunset Overdrive

I'm a huge Insomniac fan but I wasn't able to play that game for more than a few hours. I guess the humor really rubbed me the wrong way.

Drive Club, even not bothering with the crap online experience on release.

I love arcade racers with beautiful scenery, but just loathed every minute of this from the moment I started it. The Forza Horizon killer my arse.

NeoLed

Crusader Kings

Like the kingdoms setting, medieval politics. But the lacknof action gameplay make me feel lost and detached

Deathloop.

After all the 10's and amazeballs reviews I thought I was in for a treat. Didn't hold my attention for more than 5hrs.

Bonus: Zelda Breath of the Wild, yea I know... shoot me.

After all the 10's and amazeballs reviews I thought, holy shit here we GOOOO! I wanted to like that game so badly I played it for +20 hrs waiting for the magic to happen, it never did "lollipop_disappointed: IDK maybe I'm just dead inside :messenger_hushed:

Ok, I need some context for this because I'm genuinely curious and this take is reaching the Draper Point.
I personally think Hollow Knight has one of the most beautiful art styles in gaming I've seen in a while.

As for the fanbase, I don't know. I just recently played the game for the first time.
What context? The game has a very simplistic drawing style that looks like somebody’s half baked school binder doodles.
I can see how the simplicity can have a certain charm to it for some people, and I suppose it’s fine for an Indie game, but I really don’t care for it.

Also as to the fanbase. A lot of the game’s adamant fans always insist it’s the best Metroidvania ever and how shit every other game is in comparison. They literally can’t enjoy their own game without shitting on others constantly. It’s obnoxious.

Belthazar

Hollow Knight, it ticks every single box for me... from genre to artstyle, it should be the perfect game for me. Yet I hated playing it and dropped the game after less than 3 hours.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Witcher 3

Has everything I wanted from a fantasy RPG yet I mostly dragged myself through the game. Something about the Witcher unviverse itself, can't really point my finger on it.

GymWolf

Botw and dragon dogma.

I love physics, sandbox type of gameplay, open world games and good combat but i got bored after 40 hours of the first one ( but i was already done after 20 tbh) and tried like 10 times to get into dogma (even double dipped on pc) but literally everything beside combat and the pawn thingy is shit (and tbh i'm not even a huge fan of the melee combat, magic was the shit ).

Botw has a nice physics engine but almost everything else is flawed, from pointless exploration to mongoloid samey enemies, shitty boss fights, uninteresting dungeons, shitty narrative and chara, cakewalk level of challenge after the first 5-10 hours, breakable weapons and simple uber basic combat.

Also hollow knight, i love metroidvanias but this one bored me to tears after 10 hours or so, great artstyle and soundtrack tho.

Top Bottom