• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats good 2020

cryptoadam

Banned
Inspired by the other thread and not wanting to shit it up. We know 2020 has been pretty crappy all around, but any silver linings for anyone?

I hate to say it but as everyone else has had a bad time this has been a great year for me actually. I fell like Bezos or the Walton family with some of the good fortune I have had.

WFH has been great. It made me go from hating my job to actually tolerating it. Its going to be really hard to go back to working in an office 8 hours a day once this is over.

I also was given a raise and quasi promotion by being handed a completely new project to handle.

I had some lingering health issues that I finally took care of and I feel 100 times better for doing it.

Sure these are small victories in the grand scheme of things and I am hoping that 2021 can be even better (cmon crypto currency send me some luck and make me rich).

But I do feel a bit bad that things have actually worked out for me while a lot of people have suffered. Not to make a schadenfreude thread because overall I feel extremely bad for the chaos that 2020 has brought. But for me it was a good year, better than 2019 and 2018 for sure.

This has been my 2020:

Nymphae

Banned
I can now wear headphones at work. Tried to get management to let us listen to music at our desks for years, no dice. I do computer graphics related work and essentially sit at my desk all day and don't often have to talk to anyone, yet am not allowed to have headphones on. I spoke to the president about it one day and he literally said "what if a client walks through the production area and sees the operators wearing headphones?" I was like.....are you actually shitting me? First of all, we literally never have clients walk through the production area. And even if we did, what do you think they would think? I honestly can't imagine what he was afraid of.

Anyway, now that everyone has to do meetings everyday via Teams, they all wear bluetooth headsets now so the headphone phobia is gone and I can enjoy music. Only took a fake worldwide pandemic.

bitbydeath

My position was made redundant so I was able to get a decent payout and work on my novel full time. (Haven’t bothered looking for anything new yet.) Now on my final draft and have recently outlined the next novel.

My dream is to do this full time permanently but I just need to get the first one out and see how things go.

Malakhov

Banned
I work in a pharmacy in an hospital. Horrible year since we have practicly no work from the departments that work at their lowest capacity because of covid so it was boring as hell at work.

But it was still a decent year, had plenty of time for some gaming at home since we were stuck inside for a good part of the year and still could enjoy camping with the kids this summer. It wasn't that bad

I can now wear headphones at work. Tried to get management to let us listen to music at our desks for years, no dice. I do computer graphics related work and essentially sit at my desk all day and don't often have to talk to anyone, yet am not allowed to have headphones on. I spoke to the president about it one day and he literally said "what if a client walks through the production area and sees the operators wearing headphones?" I was like.....are you actually shitting me? First of all, we literally never have clients walk through the production area. And even if we did, what do you think they would think? I honestly can't imagine what he was afraid of.

Anyway, now that everyone has to do meetings everyday via Teams, they all wear bluetooth headsets now so the headphone phobia is gone and I can enjoy music. Only took a fake worldwide pandemic.
That's hilarious. Managers get the dumbest ideas sometimes, I swear. Can't ever tell if they're just being idiots, misdirected, or on a power trip. Likely all of the above.

Edit: Year has been pretty great for me so far. Been teleworking full time for the past 9 months now and loving it.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
xrapb3764z761.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My best year personally as well. Started with a promotion & raise, stopped all work travel, increased cooking skills, working out everyday like a maniac, smashed my bonus objectives for work, did several big house projects, designed and built a few woodworking projects, etc.

Only downside for me is going back to the office next year will be brutal. I’m going to try to work out permanent WFH with my boss. I’ll have to go back to 50% work travel though.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I had a place that was absolutely adamant that people needed to be at their desks 8-5 no matter what. Someone could be the most productive but would never be allowed flexibility to be out of office. People literally streamed Netflix without issue as long as they were at their desk between 8 and 5. The appearance of work is sometimes more critical than results. So glad I’m done with that place.
My boss could not give a shit what I do, where from, with whom so long as we hit targets and don’t have high ups complaining.

Mihos

Gold Member
My year was awesome.

New puppy in January, leaned into the dip and made a bunch of extra money, new grandsons in May, paid off the house in June, paid off everything else in August, went from almost closing our facility, to winning 2 huge long term contracts that should let me cruise into early retirement and hire a few hundred techs and bring back some engineers we let go in 2019.

Also was very light on work travel, so I got to spend time with my wife and build my virtual Pinball table. I also got to wear a mask in the bank and have liquor delivered to my home

2021 is going to brutal work hours, but that is something I am glad to see after the last few.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
My wife and I adopted a cat this year. He's my first cat and I like him, but the motherfucker wakes us up at 7AM every morning. You know what? The cat isn't a silver lining, disregard everything I've said. I like sleep.

CloudNull

Banned
2020 has been a great year. I got closer to my wife and the Lord while losing 30 pounds. Work wise I was able to release two programs into production for my company which have had a lot of success. I was hoping for a new position this year but that was halted along with yearly pay raises. My company is remarkable though because this freeze helped the company not cut any employees. On top of that they kept true to their word and as year end rolled around gave out pay raises/bonuses with backdated pay. Final cherry on top was I won an award from the company for all my work..... not sure how this worked out because I spend most my time here shit posting.

On a Materialistic level, I rebuilt my PC and got a Quest 2 which has officially got me off flat gaming. I was able to move into a new place further away from the city, added to my personal arsenal while getting my CHL for the wife and myself. I was able to close out the year with buying my wife a new car for her Christmas present, a life goal I have always wanted to do.

Shout out to GAF for giving me a place to stay sane while my Nazi Governor keeps my state and city locked down. No matter how shitty 2021 gets lets make it better than 2020.

Turnstyle

Been working from home since March, saving me thousands of pounds in rail fares. Had 3 month furlough at the start of the pandemic, and was able to dedicate my time to teaching my kids when the schools were closed.

Also moved house this year to a bigger place, and saved a lot of money thanks to the government freezing a land tax to help boost the housing market. Saved us £7,500.

Christmas sucked. Couldn't spend it with my extended family, and it's been hard at times, but there have also been some positives come out of this year that I'm grateful for.

I'm hoping that 2021 sees the end of the pandemic, whilst also allowing people to carry on with the new found freedom that things like working from home have afforded.

Oh, also I got banned from Resetera in January of this year, another positive! 😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom