• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's happening with My Hero Academia?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
My personal opinion of course but I feel like this show has been losing steam ever since the second half of last season. I want to keep liking it, but they're seriously losing me with yet another training competition at the start of this season. If any manga readers want to fill me in to more info or something exciting ahead, feel free. However, make sure it's actually something exciting and not the let down known as Overhaul. Many people hyped that dude up and he was handled terribly from a writing standpoint.

As of now if feels like a show that was being hyped up as one of the coolest, is currently going through the motions, and it's not even a weekly show but a seasonal one. Am I missing anything here?

Ribi

They spent too much time with the useless class that everyone knows about but they keep reintroducing. It's like in a holding pattern until everyone can become useful.

Someone told me this and it explains a lot. The best freshman class in the country has a guy who's quirk is having a tail... Let that sink in.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They spent too much time with the useless class that everyone knows about but they keep reintroducing. It's like in a holding pattern until everyone can become useful.

Someone told me this and it explains a lot. The best freshman class in the country has a guy who's quirk is having a tail... Let that sink in.
I assume it serves a larger narrative purpose, but to do this right after a very weak season to me is a very bad call to make. They should have instead expanded on Hawk's story because that has loads of potential. Or maybe splice both this training session and Hawk's story and go back and forth between the two. Anything else would have been better than what's happening right now.

Ten_Fold

Yeah, I just haven’t been interested in MHA recently, it just feels meh right now to me. Not sure if I’m gonna even continue the show.

kunonabi

I only watch the anime and aside from some minor sjw nonsense I havent really had an issue with how the show's been going. Last season was a tad off due to some boring locations and plotting but the broad strokes still really worked for me. I dont mind more battles with the other class since the school aspect is the focus. It's like complaining about Smallville not being a Superman show 3 seasons in.

zeorhymer

I don't care about class B, but there's a whole arc about it. Yes, it's supposed to be a growth moment for 1-A, but they had those moments already. Feels like a re-tread.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I only watch the anime and aside from some minor sjw nonsense I havent really had an issue with how the show's been going. Last season was a tad off due to some boring locations and plotting but the broad strokes still really worked for me. I dont mind more battles with the other class since the school aspect is the focus. It's like complaining about Smallville not being a Superman show 3 seasons in.
That's not exactly what I'm asking for here. I don't need a time skip or All for One to show up again to make things interesting. What I'm asking for is more story. Whether that be high school story drama, family matters(like Shoto and his Dad), villain matters, internship story, or even Hawk's new story development. Basically something to move the plot along.

Early on it was exciting to see the classes battle, but now that this is the 3rd or 4th time and with the newbies having mostly grown into their own, this is just a glorified training exercise being stretched out into multiple episodes. I'm sorry, but this isn't it. As a fan it's important to realize when a show you really like is doing something wrong.

The pacing here, to put it simply, feels wrong. This amount of training episodes to start off a new season feels like the wrong creative choice. It all feels off. All I can hope is that it leads to something better once these training episodes are over, but what's being shown now could have easily been a one episode montage, because the actual important information(for example who Tokoyami was training under and how he improved) is the stuff that shouldn't be put under a montage, yet is.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
After this training arc it really picks up, pretty much non-stop for two amazing arcs up to where the manga is. I don't think you'll have to worry about this kind of thing going forwards thats all I am going to say.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to hear. I'm only hoping this training doesn't stretch out too far.

If i recall correctly the mangaka is a huge fanatic of Naruto and especially of the chunin exam arc.
If this is the case, I think he misunderstands what makes exam arcs and tournament arcs so good. It's the buildup and stakes, not just the fighting. MHA has a habit of getting straight to the point at times, but fighting without stakes can feel a bit hollow. What could have helped emphasize this is having more characters like the hypnosis guy, who either stayed back or failed out of the school. That would give it more stakes that they want the best of the best, because Ribi Ribi makes a good point about tail man.

Fbh

I'm not sure where the anime is at but as someone who has always been rather lukewarm on the manga I have to say the latest manga arc was pretty great, and the one they are starting now is showing a lot of potential. Feels like the story is finally moving forward in a more substantial way.

Joyful

The overhaul arc in the manga was actually pretty good. One of the better mha villians imo. They just dropped the ball big time for the anime

Hey look. It's bad touch man who wants to kiss everyone. Why does he have balls on his head while grabbing a ball in each hand?
gPNIHFT.jpg

Last edited:

YCoCg

It feels like it's treating the viewer as idiots most of the time. I get wanting to keep the info fresh but FFS it's as if every other episode is trying to be a jump in point where they reintroduce the cast or have a five minute recap of shit that happened an episode or two ago.

Woah sjw stuff in Japan, I guess the last bastion is crumbling. What exactly happened that's sjw?

That's not exactly what I'm asking for here. I don't need a time skip or All for One to show up again to make things interesting. What I'm asking for is more story. Whether that be high school story drama, family matters(like Shoto and his Dad), villain matters, internship story, or even Hawk's new story development. Basically something to move the plot along.
That’s exactly where the story is headed after this exam arc.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I've rarely seen an anime that went popular and then remained at its peak or higher. Once something goes popular the quality drops and they start milking it and prolonging it as much as possible. There are ofc some exceptions like Jojo and others but MHA will fall in the same traps naruto and bleach and whatever else fell.

I've rarely seen an anime that went popular and then remained at its peak or higher. Once something goes popular the quality drops and they start milking it and prolonging it as much as possible. There are ofc some exceptions like Jojo and others but MHA will fall in the same traps naruto and bleach and whatever else fell.
I think it's because the anime is still ongoing but doesn't resort to filler arcs. The pacing at which it's being made is perfect for a long-running shonen. No filler arcs, and instead the show takes a break every year but not long enough for it to lose relevancy. There's always a new season on the horizon, and the staff can focus on making a good adaptation instead of spreading themselves thin with original storylines.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like it's treating the viewer as idiots most of the time. I get wanting to keep the info fresh but FFS it's as if every other episode is trying to be a jump in point where they reintroduce the cast or have a five minute recap of shit that happened an episode or two ago.
MA2n.gif

It being seasonal is exactly why it should have better pacing than what it currently has and not the usual shonen trappings that Y YCoCg just stated. It's a very head scratching creative decision.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
@JeremyEtcetera

This arc is widely considered the weakest the manga has had. Horikoshi messed up by having two light hearted arcs back to back. The anime is making this arc even worse because they are stretching each of the team matches to two episodes.

Whether that be high school story drama, family matters(like Shoto and his Dad), villain matters, internship story, or even Hawk's new story development. Basically something to move the plot along.
You‘ll be getting what you want in the second half of the season.

The next arc is commonly referred to as
My Villain Academia
by fans.

Last edited:

Shouta

Oh, is the anime in the Class mock battle? Yeah, that is pretty weak especially because the story was going places. It shouldn't have been placed there. If it had come much earlier in the MHA run, it'd be a pretty exciting and fun one but considering where the story was already, it's a bit of a regression.

Horikoshi's strength is in creating interesting looking characters and he's pretty decent at world building. His overall story plotting is pretty average much like most shounen authors. There's only one person I'd put in the good column for that category and that's Riku Sanjou

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
@JeremyEtcetera

This arc is widely considered the weakest the manga has had. Horikoshi messed up by having two light hearted arcs back to back. The anime is making this arc even worse because they are stretching each of the team matches to two episodes.
If there are two team matches per episode, how many episodes would you say are left until we hit the next stride?

manfestival

This show is so amazing but the pacing is so jarring at times. In my heart I know there is so much amazing stuff coming up. Just tired of how every season they go through the whole "gotta show everyone and their quirks" thing. This season so far is like a filler but it is obviously setting some stuff up. Can't wait for the plot to progress.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If there are two team matches per episode, how many episodes would you say are left until we hit the next stride?
There’s going to be five episodes at least for the rest of the fights, and then likely two more, with the last of those two segueing into the next arc with the introduction of some new characters.

Top Bottom