• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

What's powering the Wii 2? Detective-gaf to the rescue...

Gamer @ Heart

Member
Aug 16, 2007
13,029
0
0
Puerto Rico
Could that rumored net book processor/gpu be for the controller to power the screen and controller functionality like when Kinect was originally going to ship with an in system cpu? That way there is less processing lag and no cycles are taken away from powering the rest of the game?
 

protonion

Member
Jul 20, 2009
2,292
776
1,185
Athens,Greece
JudgeN said:
Fixed


I agree with you though, not a snowball chance in hell that that Sony or Microsoft will give Nintendo a 1 year head start. If the Wii2 is coming fall 2012 (which I find odd to show the public now, wouldn't that hurt Wii sales?) Microsoft/Sony will launch Winter 2012 to Q1 2013. To be honest I feel that is about the right time for a new console.

It depends on the Wii's 2 tech. If it is better than the PS3 in the same way the 3DS is better than the PSP, they can give them all the headstart they want. They will get the same games...
If Nintendo releases a console as powerful as PS4 if it would be released late 2012, that's a different story.
 

JudgeN

Member
Apr 12, 2007
3,961
1
1,260
Billychu said:
I don't think they'll be ready by then. Microsoft's only just hired someone to be in charge of architecture development, right? Plus Kinect is doing OK and they've changed their disk format.

You make a good point about Microsoft but Sony they haven't had anything else to do other then make the PS4. Move certainly isn't going to give them the "increased generation" they were hoping for.

protonion said:
It depends on the Wii's 2 tech. If it is better than the PS3 in the same way the 3DS is better than the PSP, they can give them all the headstart they want. They will get the same games...
If Nintendo releases a console as powerful as PS4 if it would be released late 2012, that's a different story.

Another good point
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,534
1
0
JudgeN said:
You make a good point about Microsoft but Sony they haven't had anything else to do, because move certainly isn't going to give them the "increased generation" they were hoping for.
Ten million Kinects = Increased generation, eight million Moves = Not increased generation?
 

Gamer @ Heart

Member
Aug 16, 2007
13,029
0
0
Puerto Rico
JudgeN said:
You make a good point about Microsoft but Sony they haven't had anything else to do, because move certainly isn't going to give them the "increased generation" they were hoping for.

Sony is definitely in this for the 10 year cycle. They have lost so much money launching the PS3 that it would be stupid to kill the system late in the life cycle when companies make the most money. They will ride the system out until fall 2013 at the earliest.
 

JudgeN

Member
Apr 12, 2007
3,961
1
1,260
StuBurns said:
Ten million Kinects = Increased generation, eight million Moves = Not increased generation?

Kinect is selling software though, outside of Sony I don't think move support has been amazing (I could be wrong). I just get the feeling move will end up like M+.
 

Xater

Member
Jul 28, 2007
48,001
4
0
Gamer @ Heart said:
Sony is definitely in this for the 10 year cycle. They have lost so much money launching the PS3 that it would be stupid to kill the system late in the life cycle when companies make the most money. They will ride the system out until fall 2013 at the earliest.

PS2 was also on a 10 year cycle and we know what that meant. They are going to release a new console before those ten years are over but they are not going to abandon their old hardware like MS did with the original Xbox.
 
Oct 6, 2009
13,551
2
0
Pittsburgh
I havent been following the megathread of all the rumors, and I see that there was some new info that has now been removed. Can someone sum up what this thread was about without posting specifics that people are wary about?
 

Wolf Akela

Member
Oct 13, 2008
12,222
1
0
Demoncarnotaur said:
I havent been following the megathread of all the rumors, and I see that there was some new info that has now been removed. Can someone sum up what this thread was about without posting specifics that people are wary about?
TC posts a lot of details to back up his speculation, but those details can get people into serious trouble. He removes them, then just leaves his conclusion.
 

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jan 19, 2007
54,012
0
1,140
Ah, what a pity. I haven't got to use my direct line to the Nintendo Ninjas™ for so long.

Well I'm sure the news will hit one of the chans soon.
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
Demoncarnotaur said:
I havent been following the megathread of all the rumors, and I see that there was some new info that has now been removed. Can someone sum up what this thread was about without posting specifics that people are wary about?

Someone revealed a while ago that their company was comissioned to make the cpu for a next gen console to be released fall 2012 and some other details.

Detective gaf figured out that someone works for AMD.

It seems likely that the Wii 2 will release fall 2012 powered by the AMD Trinity (or possibly Krishna or Komodo)
 
Oct 6, 2009
13,551
2
0
Pittsburgh
Wolf Akela said:
TC posts a lot of details to back up his speculation, but those details can get people into serious trouble. He removes them, then just leaves his conclusion.

So....how powerful are we talking? Without details, just in general?
 

Mama Robotnik

Member
Apr 11, 2008
7,999
15
985
Door2Dawn said:
And his conclusion is..?

AMD are producing the Wii2 processor, and its probably the AMD Trinity.

The OP provided some logical evidence, but I do agree with his choice to remove it.
 
Mar 23, 2007
3,678
0
905
El Centro, CA
Demoncarnotaur said:
So....how powerful are we talking? Without details, just in general?
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
6
1,575
Gamer @ Heart said:
Sony is definitely in this for the 10 year cycle. They have lost so much money launching the PS3 that it would be stupid to kill the system late in the life cycle when companies make the most money. They will ride the system out until fall 2013 at the earliest.
Couldn't Sony continue to build on the cell processor though? It would certainly help save money but I'm not sure how relevant it will be in terms of power compared to the competition.

Stephen Colbert said:
Someone revealed a while ago that their company was comissioned to make the cpu for a next gen console to be released fall 2012.

Detective gaf figured out that someone works for AMD.

It seems likely that the Wii 2 will release fall 2012 powered by the AMD Trinity (or possibly Krishna or Komodo)
So if the Wii2 is powered by the AMD Trinity, what type of graphics can we expect out of the lowest possible chip set - in other words laptop specs? It would be so nice if at a minimum, next gen could produce Crysis level graphics maxed out with out any pop-up at 1080P and a steady 60 fps. I know we just got single graphics cards that can do this in desktops, but is that something that the AMD Trinity will be able to do?
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
6
1,575
Opus Angelorum said:
It should be, however it depends on what GPU is paired with it.

As we seen with the PS3, a poor GPU choice can negate any CPU advantage.
Was this in response to my post?
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,560
32
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
The AMD thing thang is probably not Wii 2, Xbox 720 is much more likely(since the Slim uses the tech already) and MS used pretty much the same approach with the Xbox 360 development. The fall 2012 launch seems to be a case of 'at the latest', Nintendo is likely to launch earlier.

Also, Krishna isn't a gaming class part that's completely out of the question.
 

Dennis

Banned
Jul 7, 2009
46,535
1
0
Opus Angelorum said:
It should be, however it depends on what GPU is paired with it.

As we seen with the PS3, a poor GPU choice can negate any CPU advantage.
Apparently the rumor is R700 (ATI 4870x2) though it may be misunderstanding and simply refer to the 4xxx family of GPUs.
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
DennisK4 said:
Apparently the rumor is R700 (ATI 4870x2) though it may be misunderstanding and simply refer to the 4xxx family of GPUs.

R700 doesn't neccesarily mean ATI 4870x2. It could also refer to the AMD gpu instruction set.

And if such is the case, then the AMD Trinity fits with that rumor as well.
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
HenryGale said:
So it will be able to stand with the Xbox360 and PS3 or with PS4 and KineXbox720?

Based on what we know about Bulldozer, my best guess is that it will be quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 and 360, but assuming the PS4 and 720 don't launch till 2013 or 2014, would be a bit weaker than them.

It will do 1080p at a rocksolid 60fps, and given what the PS3 and 360 are already capable of (Crysis 2, Killzone 3, Infamous 2) should be able to output graphics on par with Battlefield 3 given enough time and optimization.
 

antonz

Member
May 12, 2010
22,341
0
0
If it were to be powered by a Trinity chip it would start off right away as a 32nm chip thats based on the next gen Core technology at AMD and as others have said DX11 based GPU.

Launch window is 2012 for the chips
 

Door2Dawn

Banned
Feb 8, 2008
8,105
0
0
32
Jacksonville,FL
Stephen Colbert said:
Based on what we know about Bulldozer, my best guess is that it will be quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 and 360, but assuming the PS4 and 720 don't launch till 2013 or 2014, would be a bit weaker than them.

It will do 1080p at a rocksolid 60fps, and should be able to output graphics akin to Battlefield 3 given enough time and optimization.
Sound pretty damn good to me.
 

antonz

Member
May 12, 2010
22,341
0
0
Komodo would be pretty crazy as its launching as an 8 Core CPU based on Bulldozer technology. It would place it light years ahead of the PS3 and 360 in power. Would just all depend what kinda of GPU is on the chip
 
Oct 26, 2009
3,647
37
810
antonz said:
If it were to be powered by a Trinity chip it would start off right away as a 32nm chip thats based on the next gen Core technology at AMD and as others have said DX11 based GPU.

Launch window is 2012 for the chips
Using the Trinity chip makes a lot of sense. It's a CPU/GPU SOC.
 

HenryGale

Member
May 19, 2009
4,935
0
900
So it wont be like this gen, and we should see many multiplatform games on the system. Sounds good to me.
 

captmcblack

Member
Oct 4, 2004
18,186
0
1,470
If any of that stuff is true, then there would be no reason to not produce any game on the Wii 2 short of "market inconsistencies", then.

DX11 support would shock me, frankly.
 

antonz

Member
May 12, 2010
22,341
0
0
HenryGale said:
So it wont be like this gen, and we should see many multiplatform games on the system. Sounds good to me.
Trinity or Komodo would without a doubt blow past this gens HD systems in raw power. The GPU would be a good improvement.

It would be impossible for it to be based on the R700 series of cards though unless highly customized because the R700 Cards arenot DX11.

The Llano has like a 5770 estimated gpu
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
HenryGale said:
So it wont be like this gen, and we should see many multiplatform games on the system.

Yes, unless Nintendo did something really stupid like using the AMD Krishna instead of Trinity.

We don't know what fusion apu is being used. It could be Krishna, Trinity or Komodo. Trinity seems most likely. Komodo would be fantastic but seems unrealistic. Nintendo would be stupid to use Krishna, since that's designed for netbooks and would give Sony and MS the opportunity to leap frog past them again and secure all the multiplatform games for themselves.
 

poppabk

Member
Jan 21, 2008
13,395
2,364
1,610
USA
Opus Angelorum said:
Well the AMD Trinity is supposed to be comparable in design to the upcoming AMD Bulldozer CPU architecture, which is multi-core (2x/4x) and supports DX11.
aka slightly more powerful than the 360/PS3
 
Oct 26, 2009
3,647
37
810
antonz said:
Trinity or Komodo would without a doubt blow past this gens HD systems in raw power. The GPU would be a good improvement.

It would be impossible for it to be based on the R700 series of cards though unless highly customized because the R700 Cards arenot DX11
However, Nintendo and Sony use OpenGL.
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
poppabk said:
aka slightly more powerful than the 360/PS3

Trinity would be quite a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. The 360 and PS3 are 2005/2006 designs built on 90nm. Trinity is a cutting edge fusion apu coming out in 2012 at 32nm.
 

antonz

Member
May 12, 2010
22,341
0
0
thehillissilent said:
However, Nintendo and Sony use OpenGL.
Well if they make the jump to these AMD chips. all of them are DX11 GPUs.

Stephen Colbert said:
Trinity would be quite a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. The 360 and PS3 are 2005/2006 designs built on 90nm. Trinity is a cutting edge fusion apu coming out in 2012 at 32nm.
Indeed and Bulldozer is meant to be the competition to sandy bridge and we know how powerful those chips are.
 

Kenka

Member
Feb 20, 2007
11,773
0
0
Switzerland
Stephen Colbert said:
Trinity would be quite a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. The 360 and PS3 are 2005/2006 designs built on 90nm. Trinity is a cutting edge fusion apu coming out in 2012 at 32nm.

I may be wrong but I think that thinner engraving is more tied to efficiency rather than raw calculating power.

As of now, Intel Graphics 3000 are supposedly as good as the Xenon inside the X360. If this CPU-GPU can pull out a superior rasterization performance, then it would pretty safe to assume that it would kick the X360 insides harshly. Although, as it had been said in this thread, Sony and Nintendo use OpenGL. Does this graphics unit also supports the latest version of OpenGL ?
 

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dec 5, 2008
21,749
0
920
Tuchanka
I just wish Nintendo would say something soon, they can't keep quiet until June while all these crazy rumors and "facts" are coming out and growing larger everyday.
 
Jul 13, 2010
1,788
0
0
Kenka said:
I may be wrong but I think that thinner engraving is more tied to efficiency rather than raw calculating power.

It's tied to both. As you decrease nms, you get more performance per watt. So you get a chip that has more raw calculating power and is also more efficient.
 

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jan 4, 2007
9,256
0
1,325
Is it confirmed/strongly likely that it's actually about the Wii 2 and not the next XBox or Playstation?