• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's so great about Netflix She-Ra?

Jubenhimer

One of the Animated shows that people on the internet can't stop talking about, is the 2018 She-Ra and the Princesses of Power series on Netflix. It's been critically acclaimed by journalists for a variety of reasons, and some would argue that its one of the greatest animated series of the 2010s. On the other hand, there's also a fair ammount of people who dislike the show, feeling it disrespects the original She-Ra 80s series.

I never watched the original She-Ra, but I saw the first season of the Netflix show and so far... It's okay. It's funny in certain places, and has enough action to keep kids entertained, but... It's not really the masterpiece the media likes to pump it up as. It's just a generic kids action-adventure series with lesbian undertones, the latter of which, is the reason I think the media is falling all over it.

Hudo

Because a very vocal minority on the internet is talking about it: The feminists and the LGBTQs. That doesn't mean that the series isn't good (I don't know, I haven't watched it) but I was always more of a He-Man fan because Skeletor is essential for me.

YCoCg

The Trans "folx" over on REEE gushed all over this show and they all had the same avatar of that furry. Kinda soured my view on it before I've even watched an ep.

kunonabi

Nothing. The story, character writing, and art/animation are all amateur hour. It's just aimed at tumblr with a cast where all but like 2 or 3 characters are gay.

Normal people didnt pay any attention to it which is why almost no merchandise for it existed and what did get made couldnt sell worth a damn.

Illo

I love She-Ra and spend a lot of time on the sub reddit.

Though I do agree it has a lot of faults and is no where as great people hype it up to be. As a overarching story its extremely lackluster. As a character driven story its pretty appealing and enjoyable. Or should I say... ADORAble.

Scorpia is the greatest and if anyone here shits on that buff cinnamon bun those are fighting words.

I tried to watch an episode, but I couldn't stand even 10 minutes of it.
For an animated show the animation is near non-existent, everything is really flat and lifeless. I've seen storyboards with better animation.
And that's just the surface. Dialogue is like a middle school play, lacks wit, lacks subtext, lacks flow, everyone says what they are doing and feeling po faced. Exposition delivered by the mouthful. Real gripping stuff.

But I guess that's what passes for greatness these days, as long as you check those intersectionality boxes and have characters be real honest about FEELINGS on screen, people will love it am I right?

Elcid

Banned
Looks like shit and I haven’t heard a single thing about it from my friends who all watch a ton of Netflix and animated shows.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Capture-2020-10-08-00-56-33.png

Hordak was always my favorite part of the original series, and while I like some of what they did with him on the new series, I was ultimately let down by the end of his character arc.

Still, I really loved the new interpretation of Scorpia. Her personality was great. :)

Scorpia.png

I tried watching Netflix's take on She-Ra. I couldn't do it. Trash incarnate. I have the original series, movie, and Christmas special on DVD. I'll choose the original any day of the week over She-Ra on Netflix.

Last edited:
Netflix should have brought back Jem instead.
Netflix would find a way to ruin Jem And The Holograms too. I have the series on DVD. I would rather watch that. I can only imagine how Netflix would design the characters. Tons of catchy songs for Netflix to butcher too.

They should just stick to their mostly terrible originals.

I know, this might not be the popular answer here, but let's go... : D

* I don't think this show is "woke".
* yeah, it's very gay. But I don't have a problem with gay people, and the show is never preachy about it.
* If you think the old show was not gay as fuck, you are deceiving yourself. I literally could not stand it as a teenage boy because I felt it was too closet gay.
* same with the genderfluid stuff.
* The premise of the show is that these are "magical princesses connected to the power of the world itself". I can accept that this show is about girls and them being powerful for the sake of that concept without implying a woke agenda here.

On the pros of this show:
People in this show are actually having character arcs. And some amazing ones at that. Shadow Weaver's redemption arc is amazing. Hordak's switch from this all powerful archenemy to a tragic figure that is just a marionette in some greater scheme is very clever and emotionally well done. I just don't like what they did with him at the very end, because it felt too rushed. I liked how Entrapta, who is certainly somewhere on the spectrum needed to learn that technology isn't just everything, and how she realized that she needed to take moral values into account in her actions. I liked her true friendship with Hordak.

Sorry, but this show has some of the best writing I have seen for years in a tv show.
If you can see behind that flowery, gay and girl power stuff that might put some of you off, there is seriously some gold hidden in there.

Last edited:

kunonabi

* yeah, it's very gay. But I don't have a problem with gay people, and the show is never preachy about it.
* If you think the old show was not gay as fuck, you are deceiving yourself. I literally could not stand it as a teenage boy because I felt it was too closet gay.
* The premise of the show is that these are "magical princesses connected to the power of the world itself". I can accept that this show is about girls and them being powerful for the sake of that concept without implying a woke agenda here.

People in this show are actually having character arcs. And some amazing ones at that. Shadow Weaver's redemption arc is amazing. Hordak's switch from this all powerful archenemy to a tragic figure that is just a marionette in some greater scheme is very clever and emotionally well done. I just don't like what they did with him at the very end, because it felt too rushed. I liked how Entrapta, who is certainly somewhere on the spectrum needed to learn that technology isn't just everything, and how she realized that she needed to take moral values into account in her actions. I liked her true friendship with Hordak.

Sorry, but this show has some of the best writing I have seen for years in a tv show.
If you can see behind that flowery, gay and girl power stuff that might put some of you off, there is seriously some gold hidden in there.

The writing is full of holes, contradictions, and bad filler. It's no where near the best anything.

Calcium

Banned
Sounds like it was made by and for Tumblr. Looks like it too. Pass.

This is all you really need to know about the show. It's Tumblr incarnate. They aged Adora down so "man babies" couldn't fap to her, but the Tumblr crowd shipping these underage characters is perfectly fine. My wife and I gave it a shot when it premiered, mostly to see how bad it was going to be, and both agreed it was garbage after one episode.

I'm just glad Noelle Stevenson wasn't allowed to fuck with Masters of the Universe.

lock2k

Banned
Scorpia.png

If that's supposed to be a woman, then I understand why that crowd love the show so much.

What the fuck is this shit?

Seriously. Why do these motherfuckers think women should look like this? Probably because they're butt-ugly and they want the rest of the world to conform so they don't feel jelly of good looking women.

lock2k

Banned

I know I love to make fun of stuff and I also hate the artstyle but I will legit check out the show after reading this reply.

I also agree with the bolded part.

Pejo

One thing I will say, without having watched the show, at least it's not that samey Cal Arts artstyle that has taken over american animation the past 5 or so years. I still hate what they did to Ninja Turtles and Teen Titans.

autoduelist

-How do you define woke? Because you state it is not woke, then lay out wokeness facts.

-I do not care if the woke is baked in to a children's show expertly, or glued on badly... I do not trust my kids watching any woke show because I do not trust the messaging- I call it woke supremacy for a reason.

- why would the original being 'gay as fuck' affect anything? If true, ok. If false, ok. None of that affects how woke this one is. Much has changed since then - intersectionalism and critical race theory are now prevelant, and the type of feminists who might be working on the original are now all 'fascist terfs'.

-There is also a huge difference between 'wink wink nudge nudge' call outs to gay culture [relatively commonplace for decades] and overt sexuality and woke diatribes in kids cartoons.

kunonabi

Yeah, why giving examples when you can just say "no" on the internet.

The princess of power got retconned from season 1 to 5 with a half-assed excuse about how only the princesses with elemental powers count which doesn't actually make any sense.

The Grayskull explanation is fairly nonsensical too. In general none of the lore feels consistent and lots of things feel hotshotted.

The Star Sisters got retconned too unless you want to believe that the Star Siblings and Star Sisters are two separate entities.

That's about as much of this show as I can stand talking about so I'll leave everybody with some actual compelling relationship drama with deeply nuanced performances and finely-crafted dialogue Shakespeare would be in awe of:

Also Jem needs to stay dead. That movie and comic series were bad enough.

The princess of power got retconned from season 1 to 5 with a half-assed excuse about how only the princesses with elemental powers count which doesn't actually make any sense.

The Grayskull explanation is fairly nonsensical too. In general none of the lore feels consistent and lots of things feel hotshotted.

The Star Sisters got retconned too unless you want to believe that the Star Siblings and Star Sisters are two separate entities.

That's about as much of this show as I can stand talking about so I'll leave everybody with some actual compelling relationship drama with deeply nuanced performances and finely-crafted dialogue Shakespeare would be in awe of:

Also Jem needs to stay dead. That movie and comic series were bad enough.

Fair enough. Thanks for the detailed answer, mate.

-How do you define woke? Because you state it is not woke, then lay out wokeness facts.

-I do not care if the woke is baked in to a children's show expertly, or glued on badly... I do not trust my kids watching any woke show because I do not trust the messaging- I call it woke supremacy for a reason.

- why would the original being 'gay as fuck' affect anything? If true, ok. If false, ok. None of that affects how woke this one is. Much has changed since then - intersectionalism and critical race theory are now prevelant, and the type of feminists who might be working on the original are now all 'fascist terfs'.

-There is also a huge difference between 'wink wink nudge nudge' call outs to gay culture [relatively commonplace for decades] and overt sexuality and woke diatribes in kids cartoons.
It's a bit late here already. Will think about your arguments, and write you an extensive answer post tomorrow..

gow3isben

Garbage show. Tried my best to give it the benefit of the doubt due to acclaim but so boring. Couldn’t watch more than 3 episodes.

Netflix has some straight original animation bangers like Dragon Prince, Castlevania, and Trollhunters.

Dragons Dogma is ok as well but as flawed as it is, faaar better than this dogshit.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

This is the real She-Ra. Hot cartoon chick and much higher quality visuals than the cheap anime crap they can churn out fast. And She-ra was 35 years ago!

Yea, grew up watching She-Ra, Heman and Thundercats. List goes on. The males were muscular and females had curves. Right now some western animations you couldn't tell between male/females.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Scorpia.png

If that's supposed to be a woman, then I understand why that crowd love the show so much.
Seriously. Why do these motherfuckers think women should look like this? Probably because they're butt-ugly and they want the rest of the world to conform so they don't feel jelly of good looking women.

I felt her looks, or rather lack of attractiveness, were part of her appeal. She's really tall, kinda muscular & bulky, shy and little socially awkward, yet super friendly and caring and loves giving hugs...even though she's technically supposed to be a "bad guy" at first.

I just found her loveable. She would be a good friend for anyone. :)

hug.gif

lock2k

Banned
I felt her looks, or rather lack of attractiveness, were part of her appeal. She's really tall, kinda muscular & bulky, shy and little socially awkward, yet super friendly and caring and loves giving hugs...even though she's technically supposed to be a "bad guy" at first.

I just found her loveable. She would be a good friend for anyone. :)

hug.gif
I will watch it to check it out!

Vengrim

If girls want to watch the new She-Ra then I'd say it's fine. It's okay, not every show has to be for everyone.

All the old '80's cartoons were only about selling toys. They are pretty much all garbage and if there was any redeeming quality left to them, it was in spite of that fact. That being said, I wanted to see all the cartoons when I was a kid. Didn't really matter what they were. Tried watching He-Man a few years ago and couldn't do it. Maybe Thundercats or Silverhawks might be different.

There is a new He-Man show in the works at Netflix though, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Looks like fire. Directed by Kevin Smith and has an amazing voice cast.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Garbage show. Tried my best to give it the benefit of the doubt due to acclaim but so boring. Couldn’t watch more than 3 episodes.

Netflix has some straight original animation bangers like Dragon Prince, Castlevania, and Trollhunters.

Dragons Dogma is ok as well but as flawed as it is, faaar better than this dogshit.
Castlevania and Dragon Prince are both incredible. I expected Dragon Prince to be great cuz Avatar is a masterpiece, but Castlevania really surprised me by how good it is.

haven’t even heard of trollhunters, is it on the same level?

Last edited by a moderator:

gow3isben

Castlevania and Dragon Prince are both incredible. I expected Dragon Prince to be great cuz Avatar is a masterpiece, but Castlevania really surprised me by how good it is.

haven’t even heard of trollhunters, is it on the same level?

Trollhunters has way more episodes so it has some periods of lulls (and characters joking around), but the quality and characterization is there and when it is firing on all cylinders it is just as good. Extremely intense and action packed like the other two. And very mature (though you might not think so during very early eps) with major character deaths. Its popularity resulted in 2 sequel shows "3Below" and "Wizards" the latter being an amazing conclusion to the saga. Well, almost conclusion. It will finish off with a movie coming 2021.

Last edited:
Good question. I guess it's different from your definition.

First off, let's define what isn't woke in my point of view.
Something that caters to a gay and or transgender audience without slamming us "normies" is not woke. Or you'd have to say something like "Cage aux folles", "Will & Grace" or "to Wong Foo" is woke. Which is absurd.
A movie that has black and/or other ethnicity representation in a setting where it make sense is not woke. "Beverly Hills Cop", "The Cosby Show" and "Lethal Weapon" are not woke for having black people in them.

For me, "Woke" is a black Heimdall and Valkyre being crammed into Asgard in the MCU.
50 kilogram girls easily fighting men that are double their weight in Charlie's Angels and winning "because they are girls".
Black people being in the city guard of a european medieval setting like in the Witcher series.
Batwoman doing everything better than Batman, and telling us the suit will be perfect when a woman wears it.

This shit has an agenda.
It's woke.

That's totally your opinion, man. And I respect that 100%.

This is simply my take on that argument I have heard a few times online (in this thread as well), that the old series was some bastion of manliness, and the new series is a gay inferno.

Sorry, but this is laughable.
Like I said, the old show (and He-Man to an extend as well) was gay as fuck. There is even a quote online saying:
n 2007, Scheimer publicly declared her homosexuality. In an interview with Terrance Griep, Scheimer explained that she felt comfortable as a lesbian working for Filmation: "I was a strong female voice myself, and—guess what?—I happened to be gay. Does that make any difference about anything? I'll tell you one thing, it didn't matter, because Filmation was one of the gayest places in town."[1]

Well, this is a show with a rainbow unicorn Pegasus that acts glamourous and lesbian princesses with superpowers. There is nothing subtle about it. I give you that.

The thing is, I don't have a problem with gay people, people of other skin colours, or people that feel they are born in the wrong body. Everybody should just be able to live in a way that makes them happy.

And I don't have a problem with shows that cater to these audiences.

The problem I see is, when that stuff sips into my hetero male movies, and tries to make ME feel like I am wrong with my sex, skin color or general body image. And that's what the woke agenda tries to do.
Dividing us.

We should be better than that.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Scorpia.png

that’s a girl?

you know, I don’t even think it’s a question of being woke to some extent. It’s just so many of these shows have the ugliest, boring, fucking plastel designs. Everything looks flat

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nah thanks, i'm just rewatching the original saint seya with jap dub for the first time (always watched with italian voices).

Top Bottom