• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some good current Tv comedy GAF?

Fbh

I'm the mood for a good comedy. I just want something fun with shorts chapters when I need to relax for a bit.
I'm looking for something that just focuses on being funny as opposed to a show that's more of a Drama with humor (nothing wrong with that I tend to like it but it's not what I'm looking for right now)

Recent(ish) stuff that I've liked:

The Office: At least until Steve Carell left
Brooklyn 99: Seasons 5 and 6 weren't as good but the first 4 are great
Parks and recreation: Felt similar to the office, not quite as great but still fun
Arrested development: First 3 seasons are great, last 2 have been horrible and killed my interest in the show

Stuff I haven't liked:
The good place: With all the praise I really tried to like it but after 7 or 8 episodes I can't think of a single truly funny scene, and the characters suck
The Big Bang theory: Sheldon is an ass to everyone, always gets away with it and that's funny...because reasons.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I've been watching Who's Line is it Anyway? on Amazon Prime and Youtube, some channel has a ton of the old UK episodes on Youtube. Awesome background comedy show. I don't watch modern TV.

Most recent comedy TV show I can remember liking is probably Nathan For You.

Rran

I'm a fan of The Office, Parks & Rec and Arrested Development (first 3 seasons) as well and have been enjoying checking out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the first time lately. It's more similar to AD than the other shows in that all the characters are ridiculous to each other and you're laughing at how they tend to sabotage themselves constantly. It's a bit more vulgar than the other comedies you listed, but still aired on TV so it's not quite anything goes.

If you have a stomach for 90s sitcoms, I'd also highly recommend Seinfeld (another pure comedy show with little in the way of character development or emotion) and Frasier (humor with some character-based drama like Office or Parks). And of course, you can't top the first 8 seasons of The Simpsons.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You're the Worst is awesome if you like dark comedy. Bear in mind though that one of the seasons has a quite serious theme about struggling with depression. You might want to end your watch there or skip to the next season.

New Girl is innocent fun. :)

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm a fan of The Office, Parks & Rec and Arrested Development (first 3 seasons) as well and have been enjoying checking out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the first time lately. It's more similar to AD than the other shows in that all the characters are ridiculous to each other and you're laughing at how they tend to sabotage themselves constantly. It's a bit more vulgar than the other comedies you listed, but still aired on TV so it's not quite anything goes.

If you have a stomach for 90s sitcoms, I'd also highly recommend Seinfeld (another pure comedy show with little in the way of character development or emotion) and Frasier (humor with some character-based drama like Office or Parks). And of course, you can't top the first 8 seasons of The Simpsons.

Weill check out It's Always Sunny in Phuladelphia thanks.

Yeah I've seen of the more "classic" stuff like Seinfeld. I like it but I don't think it's that great.

GymWolf

Last 4 season of game of thrones (especially 7-8) are basically a dramedy with some high production value.

For intended comedy you can watch community, bored to death, blue mountain state (all different genre of comedy)

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
The creator of The Good Place was a writer and producer on The Office and co-creator of Parks and Rec. so if you enjoyed those two then that could be a good fit for you.

bitbydeath

Have you ever tried British comedies?

3jzTqxX.gif

The Inbetweeners

images

Misfits

giphy.gif

Bad Education

Panda1

Banned
I'm the mood for a good comedy. I just want something fun with shorts chapters when I need to relax for a bit.
I'm looking for something that just focuses on being funny as opposed to a show that's more of a Drama with humor (nothing wrong with that I tend to like it but it's not what I'm looking for right now)

Parks and recreation: Felt similar to the office, not quite as great but still fun
Arrested development: First 3 seasons are great, last 2 have been horrible and killed my interest in the show

Stuff I haven't liked:
The good place: With all the praise I really tried to like it but after 7 or 8 episodes I can't think of a single truly funny scene, and the characters suck
The Big Bang theory: Sheldon is an ass to everyone, always gets away with it and that's funny...because reasons.

Any suggestions?

Always sunny in philly,
Curb,
Only fools and horses (british)
Gavin and stacey (british)
Red Dwarf (british)

cr0w

Old Member
What We Do In the Shadows is maybe the funniest show currently on TV for my money. Always Sunny is still legitimately great.

If you'd like standalone episodes with different segments, try Nathan For You. Some of his ideas and the disasters that result from them are fucking incredible.

OH! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Vice Principals for Walton Goggins alone.

Last edited:

Stuff I haven't liked:

Any suggestions?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Fbh

Lots of good suggestions in here.

Will make list with several of these and start going through them to see what I like

Top Bottom