• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's something you're super into, that no one else understands?

lem0n

I've been a massive fan of vaporwave for years, more specifically mallwave/dreamscape/drone. I can't listen with my GF or my friends as anyone I've exposed to this kind of music just looks at me like I'm nuts, LOL. Maybe they're right, I dunno. This is just something I get to enjoy on my own, as no one gets it.

This made me think, everyone must have something strange they're into. Do you have any strange passions?

I am fully aware this could get NSFW very quickly, but please refrain from making this a kink thread :c

///PATRIOT

Banned
I've been a massive fan of vaporwave for years, more specifically mallwave/dreamscape/drone. I can't listen with my GF or my friends as anyone I've exposed to this kind of music just looks at me like I'm nuts, LOL. Maybe they're right, I dunno. This is just something I get to enjoy on my own, as no one gets it.
This made me think, everyone must have something strange they're into. Do you have any strange passions?

I am fully aware this could get NSFW very quickly, but please refrain from making this a kink thread :c
what about malware? you gotta be onto that.

Last edited:
If the Internet has taught me anything...there is a community for any niche interest out there. Kink or otherwise.

I'm too mainstream in my interests to really drive into the minutiae of beyond understanding by friends or family. At a macro level I'd say science or my business. Friends and family have a passing interest in science and our evolving understanding of all things, I prefer to delve deeper than the casual conversation and will read research papers or books on topics of interest. As for talking about my business and the societal norm greeting of "how are you? how's the company going?" I've learnt to just keep it short and quick, no one has interest in the details or actual ebb and flow of things in a lengthy conversation. Unless it's a business forum with randoms few people actually have the experience matching your journey; more specifically the will to engage.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Like you with vaporwave, I can't get enough of Aphex Twin and Squarepusher's music. When I listen to them, it's like I get to time travel to hear what music will sound like in a hypothetical future. They have individual songs that sound like nothing else on Earth (that I've found), and its like catnip for me.

It sucks because they are ABSOLUTLEY not something you can put on casually in the background and expect people to vibe, so I don't get to share it with others in real life :(

Solving the Giza pyramid powerplant puzzle. You know they likely found the entry holes for the shafts in the queens chamber Christopher Dunn claims were used for pouring the chemicals in?

XxHoZ7g.jpg
vICAqB6.jpg

Last edited:

It was Aliens 👽
I think they were a much more advanced human civilisation than we credit them. They had electricity (as did iraq) in battery form which I wonder if they could have used for gold plating objects.. they were famous for their endless gold.

Also worth looking at their statues. I think they may have had a similar construction to the winged bulls in iraq (effectively granite cement set over block work - hence how fabulous the craftmanship seems - it was like clay before it set) - something we have only recently started producing for shaped kitchen worktops..

Last edited:
I think they were a much more advanced human civilisation than we credit them. They had electricity (as did iraq) in battery form which I wonder if they could have used for gold plating objects.. they were famous for their endless gold.

Also worth looking at their statues. I think they may have had a similar construction to the winged bulls in iraq (effectively granite cement set over block work - hence how fabulous the craftmanship seems - it was like clay before it set) - something we have only recently started producing for shaped kitchen worktops..
9ECRbRT.jpg

lem0n

Like you with vaporwave, I can't get enough of Aphex Twin and Squarepusher's music. When I listen to them, it's like I get to time travel to hear what music will sound like in a hypothetical future. They have individual songs that sound like nothing else on Earth (that I've found), and its like catnip for me.

It sucks because they are ABSOLUTLEY not something you can put on casually in the background and expect people to vibe, so I don't get to share it with others in real life :(
You understand completely!

Doom85

If I mention anime in real life I doubt most people would know what I'm talking about

At least in the US, this isn’t really true anymore save for some people over 40. Like, virtually every person I know roughly my age (35) or younger either watches anime or at least is aware of it.

Streaming making access so much easier compared to the 2000’s decade and before as well as social media making more people aware has helped a lot. Like, it’s insane that the Demon Slayer movie made $50 million in the US alone particularly as its US release was right when people were only starting to feel comfortable going back to the theaters. If it had released a year later it’s a safe bet it would have made quite a bit more.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Bbq. I have a few friends that we talk about it all the time.

All of our wives don’t care or understand why we can get up at like 4 am to start the meat and why it can dozens of tries to get a sauce right.

They think a smoker is just another bbq and don’t get how brisket adds to beans!

Last edited:

nush

There's loads of missing history, it's fascinating. Academics actively suppressing information becuse thier whole lives work will be rendered wongfax otherwise.

nush

Urban exploring, going into old abandoned sites, rooftops and other areas not open to the public. Take pictures and share with other urbexers. Never found anyone in real life that was into it.

Doom85

Urban exploring, going into old abandoned sites, rooftops and other areas not open to the public. Take pictures and share with other urbexers. Never found anyone in real life that was into it.

I’ve seen the occasional video on Youtube of stuff like that. The guys who go alone are nuts, like do people not know squatters exist? Sure, some of them might not care that you’re there or simply tell you to fuck off, but you could potentially get mugged or worse.

Like there was one video of a guy alone and exploring this abandoned area that was reportedly haunted. At one part, a shadow moves behind him without him noticing. Cue a ton of comments screaming, “ghost!” and then a ton of replies going, “more like homeless person”.

Mind you, I believe in ghosts and have actually seen one, but in places like this? I’m not worried about any ghost; I’m worried about somebody coming at me with a knife.

I’ve seen the occasional video on Youtube of stuff like that. The guys who go alone are nuts, like do people not know squatters exist? Sure, some of them might not care that you’re there or simply tell you to fuck off, but you could potentially get mugged or worse.

Like there was one video of a guy alone and exploring this abandoned area that was reportedly haunted. At one part, a shadow moves behind him without him noticing. Cue a ton of comments screaming, “ghost!” and then a ton of replies going, “more like homeless person”.

Mind you, I believe in ghosts and have actually seen one, but in places like this? I’m not worried about any ghost; I’m worried about somebody coming at me with a knife.
I'm into all that aliens, supernatural stuff

nush

The guys who go alone are nuts, like do people not know squatters exist? Sure, some of them might not care that you’re there or simply tell you to fuck off, but you could potentially get mugged or worse.

That's actually rare, fear of junkies and squatters is much bigger than the reality. I've never run into anyone, once I did find a room that someone had been squatting in. Rats, cats and birds give you a bigger scare.

Doom85

That's actually rare, fear of junkies and squatters is much bigger than the reality. I've never run into anyone, once I did find a room that someone had been squatting in. Rats, cats and birds give you a bigger scare.

Fair enough.

That part in Silent Hill 3 where you’re going through the construction area and you find a room where someone has been squatting in. And then later you can hear someone walking around but you never run into them (granted, it might have been Vincent but I assume it wasn’t). So creepy.

nush

Fair enough.

That part in Silent Hill 3 where you’re going through the construction area and you find a room where someone has been squatting in. And then later you can hear someone walking around but you never run into them (granted, it might have been Vincent but I assume it wasn’t). So creepy.

I've been in places where all the windows are out a lot of things banging around loose in the wind that's rushing through the building. Even though you know what it is it's unsettling.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

jufonuk

not tag worthy
UFO’s and Aliens, well the possibility of their existence.

I’m not everything was aliens of ufo.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Serious answer: doing everything in chronological order. If you invite me to watch The Two Towers, ima say no unless I've recently watched the entire Hobbit trilogy and FotR.

If I'm listening to a song, if I can help it, it's part of a full album listening in a dark room with no shuffle or skipping. In particular, going through Trent Reznor's main NIN albums in chronological order is basically a concept-discography about a jaded young man and his journey through drugs, fame, feuds, rehab, religion, marriage, fatherhood and religion to become a mature man with perspective.

If it's a videogame series, I will play it in chronological storyline order after my first go through. That includes things like playing Snake Eater first and finishing with Revengeance, a story spanning the mid 60's through the mid '00's.

Things just strike me as more poignant and impactful if you start at the beginning and see if through to the end. It's really sort of an OCD nightmare for a consumer, though. Often times I'll purchase a new release (usually with gaming) and let it sit there in the backlog for entire months at a time because I feel the need to play the entire series it's a part of first.

nush

Serious answer: doing everything in chronological order. If you invite me to watch The Two Towers, ima say no unless I've recently watched the entire Hobbit trilogy and FotR.

If I'm listening to a song, if I can help it, it's part of a full album listening in a dark room with no shuffle or skipping. In particular, going through Trent Reznor's main NIN albums in chronological order is basically a concept-discography about a jaded young man and his journey through drugs, fame, feuds, rehab, religion, marriage, fatherhood and religion to become a mature man with perspective.

If it's a videogame series, I will play it in chronological storyline order after my first go through. That includes things like playing Snake Eater first and finishing with Revengeance, a story spanning the mid 60's through the mid '00's.

Things just strike me as more poignant and impactful if you start at the beginning and see if through to the end. It's really sort of an OCD nightmare for a consumer, though. Often times I'll purchase a new release (usually with gaming) and let it sit there in the backlog for entire months at a time because I feel the need to play the entire series it's a part of first.

How did you deal with Yakuza Zero?

Top Bottom