• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's something you're super into, that no one else understands?

Hobby wise: I play Yugioh with some friends from work and we’re all grown men between 25-30. Most people don’t understand wtf we’re talking about, and those that do don’t understand why we don’t play MtG instead.

Sex wise: Feet. Luckily every girl I’ve ever dated has been cool with it. Sometimes I have a hard time not thinking about my wife’s when I’m at work and really bored. I have another friend who’s into that but he’s obnoxiously annoying about how open he is about it and always brings it up.

Belief wise: I think Sasquatch could possibly exist. Most cryptozoology stuff is just folklore but I could see a weird hairy ape thing existing and not wanting anything to do with us. There’s a few videos out of thousands that are genuinely convincing.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

Hobby wise: I play Yugioh
Kenan Thompson Wow GIF by Saturday Night Live

Sex wise: Feet.
judging tom cruise GIF

Belief wise: I think Sasquatch could possibly exist.
Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Cryptozoology
Kim Kardashian Eww GIF by Saturday Night Live

Jada_Li

Banned
The Sims 3 A.I. on high free-will and observing human-like thought, behavior, mannerisms and so on within a life simulator. It's fascinating to me. Then again I remember also being fascinated by A.I. vs A.I. and watching basketball teams compete against each other back on the Super Nintendo, lol. I also read something about Movie Mode in The Quarry where the player can set up scenarios for the characters and so on and then let the A.I. play out the whole game in Director Chair mode. Or something along those lines. Things of that nature is intriguing to me and it would be appreciated if more developers paid more attention to decent A.I. than just a generic ones. For example when a game like Resident Evil 5 you play alone instead of co-op but the A.I. partner is horrible because the developers did not spend much time or effort into it for those who chose to play single player. Thus the overall single player experience is not so great.

Yeah, in a nutshell, smart and ambitious A.I. used in video games whether player assisted for creative input or not.

MachRc

The Sims 3 A.I. on high free-will and observing human-like thought, behavior, mannerisms and so on within a life simulator. It's fascinating to me.
Im guessing youre in the Sims 3 is wayyy better than SIms 4 camp as it has better AI, includes driving, more locations, much more autonomy/ free will.. etc etc

My co worker is a Sims fanatic, she talks about it all the time. She says its like watching the Kardashian/trash tv for her.

Im into rave/underground electronic music that passes off as satanic music.
Gotta rock and roll to stay young.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Flying first class. Yes really. On Emirates usually so showers on the plane etc.

Nobody else gets it. To me my flight is part of the holiday to others the flight is an annoying necessity they have to sit through before their holiday begins.
I think everyone gets that, just can’t afford it. I did it once and it was amazing.

It’s like when you graduate from a regular hotel room to a suite. It’s so hard to go back do you don’t if you can avoid it

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Only having indirect light in my apartment (96% of the time) It cloaks the dust wanting to be sedated most of the time. My dreams

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
for some reason I spend a lot of time thinking what life would be like living/training in the mountains or in super cold/hot places or to go deep dive underwater feeling all the extremes seem kinda interesting periodically I google how cold it is in canada or northern states/countries sometimes same with hot places like in arizona like its 101 degrees Fahrenheit right now thats wild its also interesting to research what kind of animals/plants live in those places or what the people in those places eat/what kind of cuisine they have up there

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
History.

I have a degree in history and currently planning out my masters, but not one of my friends or family are interested in history. They think it's boring, where I can't get enough of it. Nothing makes me throb more than this history section of a giant book store.

European (including Egyptian as they overlap) is my major interest, especially 14th/15th France and England, the hellenistic period and the later Roman Empire past the 2nd century. But to be honest, I'm such a history need that I could discuss any period from any location on earth.

History.

I have a degree in history and currently planning out my masters, but not one of my friends or family are interested in history. They think it's boring, where I can't get enough of it. Nothing makes me throb more than this history section of a giant book store.

European (including Egyptian as they overlap) is my major interest, especially 14th/15th France and England, the hellenistic period and the later Roman Empire past the 2nd century. But to be honest, I'm such a history need that I could discuss any period from any location on earth.
I'm your huckleberry. Let's start with Solomon.

We heading to the East first or no?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm your huckleberry. Let's start with Solomon.

We heading to the East first or no?

Problem with Solomon (as with most biblical figures) is there isn't really a lot of historical evidence for them, if there is any at all.

We can go east, but let's keep it strictly historical. Cyrus the Great, perhaps?

Aesius

Playing pool.

Pool has a terrible image in the US, and I can’t say it’s completely unfounded. At best it’s viewed as a bar game and at worst it’s something only criminals and hustlers participate in. The entertainment industry is largely responsible for that. How often do you see people playing pool on screen and it’s not depicting some kind of unsavory characters or places?

In Europe and many parts of Asia, pool is very much a respected game with training facilities and private clubs. But being good at it in America is viewed as a waste of time by most people. But thankfully, leagues and tournaments exist to validate my obsession. And it’s always fun to absolutely obliterate unsuspecting people on pool tables in bars.

BHeld

Neo Member
CrossFit. It has a horrible image in the US, and with some pretty novice coaches around the country it is not surprising. But with a good coach it is a phenomenal workout and lifestyle that has increased my health and enjoyment of life tenfold. My wife has also lost over 70 pounds doing CrossFit since giving birth and is in better shape than before she got pregnant. Now my very sedentary mother-in-law is getting into it and I couldn't be happier. It is also very easy to get cultish about it haha... but I guess that is true with any often misunderstood passion.

Ionian

Mr. Bungle. Disco Volante.

Girlfriend at the time had to listen to it while I had dinner.

Was cruel. was a mistake though, didn't know it was on. She didn't complain, young love.

Last edited:

Goalus

Console warring on the internet is something I am super into.
Now a lot of people actually do understand how it works, but I have not yet bragged about it in front of my coworkers and friends because I think they probably wouldn't understand why anyone would be proud of their internet identity as a console warrior.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Fast food…specifically Taco Bell. Like an obsession with it. I visit no less than a dozen food websites daily and plan my schedule around trying new items.

For example: today is the last day for the Cheddar Chalupa and tomorrow starts the Crispy Chicken Taco promotion at Taco Bell which will go until August 18th.
I have it on my calendar and yet they have not started advertising it yet.

Jeeves

Riichi mahjong. Well, it's slowly gaining some popularity but it's definitely up there still as far as hobbies that most people will take one glance at and immediately go "I don't know what I'm looking at and I don't care to know".

Ionian

joinedjoined joinedjustMasterpiece of an album. Love bungle
Remember finding ' California' by accident. What a masterpiece. loved it. Perfect album, fell in love immediately.

Every song was a masteriece, Retrovertigo and Pink cigarette were my favouite. Loved the whole album though.

Just randomly found it at Virgin Megastore. Joined Mirc group and met people IRL. awesome times. So much fun, a big bunch of awesome weirdos, me included.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Flying first class. Yes really. On Emirates usually so showers on the plane etc.

Nobody else gets it. To me my flight is part of the holiday to others the flight is an annoying necessity they have to sit through before their holiday begins.
I think the same so are my friends that I travel with. How can you enjoy a trip when you start in a crowded ariport gate, small seat, kids yelling etc. It starts the trip by hating it. I can do at a minimum business.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Things that I enjoy that I don't know anyone else who does it.

1) Transit planning, Getting origin destinations numbers for cities and try to make a metro system profitable for that city. I actually got my current job because of this interest.
2) Religion history. I'm not religious but I find fasciniting how stories evolved to be cults with normalised practices.
3) OCD house organisation. I see shows on tv that organises people's houses and I find that they don't go a great job. I mean mixing three different brands of containers?! Not the same brands for cleaning products? It would drive me crazy to live in such unoptimised manner.

I also refuse to do compromises on nearly everything. It makes me physically sick when I have to do it. I can spend weeks looking for fhe exact model that I want. For example, my last condo I had put a 240V outlet for a UK blender because it was the exact blender I wanted and it wasn't available in 120V.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I've met people and have found friends that can relate/are into the stuff i'm into, like we have at least one thing in common. I can't really think of anything that I'm exclusively into and only like 0.01 percent of the population visits that subreddit or whatever lol. Well, actually, some message boards/forums I'm still very active on and I can 100% guarantee nobody in my IRL circle knows about them but I post on them every day lol. Like IGN's vestibule for example.

Music stuff:

I used to be diehard metalhead. I would listen to stuff like cannibal corpse and the faceless and stuff. after high school i chilled out a bit and got more into EDM and other genres, but I can still relate and appreciate metal music a lot. I feel like most people think all metal is the same and don't know what progressive or death or blackened or djent or any subgenre.

underground rap/hiphop music too. many people are just completely unaware that there is a whole world of music out there besides what you hear on the spotify top 100. stuff like suicideboys, bones/teamsesh, devilish trio (memphis phonk), etc. It goes way deeper than those artists though, like the stuff you find on SoundCloud with only a hundred plays and a few likes, but it's so well produced and slaps and rappers are actually talented and know how to write.

I also agree with the "mallcore" stuff in vaporwave, but to me that's now a dated sound. reminds me of 2014. I was really into synthwave stuff like Com Truise back then. Nowadays I'm more into the really melodic female fronted hyperpop stuff and house stuff. Stuff like Charli XCX which is more mainstream, but I can dig it.

besides music:

I'm really into halloween stuff, like the props and decor and shit. It's all junk but it makes me feel something special. I love collecting old dusty horror novels and often visit my local thrift shops and used book stores to find some strange obscure stuff. same thing with independent horror movies made with a very small budget, there's just something unique, good or bad, I enjoy it. like fan made friday the 13th films on youtube. same thing with low budget horror video games. I obviously love 80's and 90's creepy stuff. goosebumps. are you afraid of the dark. cheesy, campy but lovable and nostalgic. I have so much nostalgia for random 2000's stuff too, like Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets on PS2 but I feel like nobody talks about that game anymore besides me haha. There's probably a ton of other small things like that which keep me up at night.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

As someone who travels a lot, I understand you. You are my people.

Raven117

My brother, I get you. Especially on Emirates. That lounge in Dubai that you get access to is also just marvelous.

Godzilla.

I definitely wouldn't say "no one" but not many people get the appeal when just casually talking about it in public situations.

Top Bottom