• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best first 10 seconds of any song?

Clockwork5

Well the first 10 seconds of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" changed rock music in about 10 seconds so I'm gonna go with that.

That's one of those songs you completely forget even exists but just the mere mention alone brings back your memory of the riff, the lyrics, that smooth drum pattern, everything.
Unless you listen to CKY often as I do (new album sans Deron is not good though. I've forgotten that one already).

Dhx

This is a much better question than best intro. I spent a good 10 minutes looking around and most songs don't get a good hook in time. You need something that knocks you down without delay.

First, for Led Zeppelin I have to counter with Immigrant Song. There really is no contest here for me vs Kashmir as you get the hook and the first primal scream in the first 10 seconds.

For Van Halen, I have to go with Unchained.

My final pick at the moment is Hangar 18. Holy Wars into Hangar 18 is just pure bliss.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
On mobile so cannot post links

Spaceman by Babylon zoo the first ten seconds were great at the time the rest was sole shitty rock song that I tried to like. But in hindsight it was rather shitty.

Edit:
Other than that
Everlong by the foo fighters

No Rain by blind melon

Paganmoon

There could be tons of choices from Metallica: Master of Puppets, Battery, Sanitarium, Blackened, Moth into flame, Unforgiven, Wherever I may roam and so on and so on. The band is THE definition of cool intros.

I like you sir. A lot. I'll add Hell Patrol from the same album, it's insane.

Totally agree on Metallica, tons of great intros. Was going to post Wherever I may roam myself.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Tbh i can't think of just one but if any song doesn't grab in the first 10 seconds it's not worth listening to

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
MF DOOM - Doomsday
Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine
Prince - I Would Die 4 U
Bjork- Army of Me (though maybe this is cheating for using the When the Levee Breaks drum break?)
Flying Lotus - Massage Situation
The Time - Wild and Loose

Top Bottom