• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best thing that has ever happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudy

I'll have to say getting my engineering sponsorship which basically guaranteed my education. One of the happiest moments for me and my family when i received that letter :]

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Being born in a first world country.

Trin

I learned to appreciate that I had a family who loved me unconditionally and to forgive myself for every day I'd forgotten that.

Going to Texas State University. Ironically it's also a regrettable decision due to the crushing debt I accumulated; but for a socially awkward, overweight mess with no life experience, it was a life-transforming journey.

The friends I made, the adventures I took with them, and all the life lessons I've learned along the way will definitely keep that two-year period dear in my heart.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Going to Texas State University. Ironically it's also a regrettable decision due to the crushing debt I accumulated; but for a socially awkward, overweight mess with no life experience, it was a life-transforming journey.

The friends I made, the adventures I took with them, and all the life lessons I've learned along the way will definitely keep that two-year period dear in my heart.
So... You got laid.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This tall slim Hot as hell Brazilian girl really liked me. As a Generic Asian Guy living in Canada, let's just say I'm really not used to girls pursuing me.

Then out of the blue she's hitting on me and wants to go 'to the movies' where we didn't really watch the movies (I serious do not remember what movies we went to). Sad things never worked out...

Another time, this really cute Turkish girl was around and we hung out a lot. Wasn't til the last day she was here that we expressed it was more than friendship. Sadly, never went anywhere as she had to go back to Turkey.

3rd was this Cuban/Spanish girl. I won't go into details as it again didn't go anywhere, but it definitely helped me stopped considering that being a Generic Asian Guy was a handicap.

For most of you guys, it's probably fluff and something I made up. For TO GAF, if you guys ask at the next meet up, I can convince you :)

This is a good thread for me because I'm going through a tough time and I need to remember this kind of stuff.

-Had an MFFF foursome for my 30th birthday last year
-Going back to school in 2011 and being able to taste my graduation this coming December
-Learning about Underground Games when I was 16. I have that place to thank for introducing me to almost every single person in my social network since then, whether directly or indirectly
-Getting to spend the two best months of my life with a woman who I would have married in a heartbeat. She didn't feel the same way about me, but I still think back to that 60 day period and about how insanely happy I was.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Birth of My Son, and the meeting of my New GF and now Fiancee
My life Changed the day my son was born, I felt like I had a purpose to my life and that all my time before it, I simply just existed..(I cant really explain it, not knocking, parent GAF, it's just the way it felt to me) I found a better Job and planned for my life ahead the bad part was when the mother of my son and I broke up, it has lead to problems seeing my son in the past, it's an occasional ongoing thing, (I moved back to my mums)

due to the problems I kinda went into a depression/panic attack social withdrawal funk, during the time of going through this Break up/problems with seeing my son, I met someone.

at first we were just chat friends (I was bored one night shift at work so I went to a chat site to pass the graveyard shift), then as it progressed it moved from the chat to MSN/Facebook, talking on the phone we both were going through break ups and kind of found each other, over the span of three years we chatted all the time and learned a hell of lot about each other, then last year we met for the first time and started dating , I began to sort my issues out (with her encouragement,guidance etc),
long story short, I ask her to marry me on our Anniversary and she said yes,

we are now both saving for a house and she is planning to move to London with me next year

so yeah the two best things to date in my Life :)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
As cliche as it is, my wife. She makes every day of my life absolutely amazing and so worth living. The best part is, when I'm with her I feel like I'm the most important person in the world. I'm lucky.

Being blessed with an amazing family is also right up there. I have a great relationship with both my brothers and my parents. Love them very much.

deli2000

Discovering music. It pretty much broke me out of a deep depression and set me on the right track.

Having a set goal to strive to for the first time ever is amazing.

Starviper

I feel like the feeling repeats itself, but my current favorite is just being able to enjoy life for what it is. Some things suck, some things are pretty good, but being able to just enjoy life and all that it throws at you everyday.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Getting dumped by my first girlfriend.

Devastating as it was at the time, it was the event that kick-started me getting my life together and it changed me profoundly.
I shudder to think what i'd be doing now if that shit never happened.

supergiz

This sounds incredible. Could you please elaborate?

Well I met him at 5am in a Chinese restaurant near roppongi. Earlier that night I was at a lounge where I met this girl named Choko. We hit it off and she wanted me to join her and her friends for breakfast. I was sitting at the table with 10 or so ppl and the I start up some conversation with the guy next to me. When I say we should hang out again he gives me his business card and I see the name eiji Fuji and square enix CGI director.

He is also a DJ and a friend of another Italian guy there who I became friends with. We hung out with him at clubs on a few occasions. But best time was when we went to a private party at his house in Yokohama. Stayed up all night he has a room in his house just as a DJ room like a mini club. In the morning we played Mario kart Wii while the women cooked us breakfast.

And to make it even crazier, on an unrelated note I met a guy in my guesthouse I became friends with who was a localizer for square enix.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Probably loosing weight. I was about 105kg when I was 16. After graduating high school, had enough of being fat so I started exercising and eating a clean diet. Dropped nearly 40kg. That was 8 years ago, and I've stayed the same weight since.

Liberty4all

Banned
#1. Meeting my wife online then marrying her

#2. Winning 25,000 dollars on a slot machine the first night of a 10 day cruise (best vacation EVER)

Viewt

I've been pretty fortunate, but there have been a few key moments that I really look at as transformative and incredibly lucky.

1. I took a random interview to be someone's assistant (not even thinking I wanted to job, but eh, might as well take the interview). The guy I was interviewing with turned out to be the founder of a small web development studio, and after talking with him at great length, he decided to offer me a job, but not the one I'd applied for. Instead of being his assistant, I'd be a Project Manager and oversee the development of the social network he and his team were crafting.

I'd never done anything like that, but I figured it could be fun, so I said yes. Three years later, it's taken me down an amazing path working in development. I've had a hand in creating websites, released a video game and amassed tons of awesome, really useful skills. All because of getting an awesome break.

2. Moving to Chicago. Good lord was I ready to leave South Florida, and ever since I've moved to my new city, I've never been better. Even on bad days, I'm so much happier than I was in Florida.

3. Oddly enough, just last night around 2 AM I had a mini-epiphany that I'm just really happy with my life right now. I'm doing cool stuff professionally, I have a great group of friends (I was walking home after a great Taco Night on of my buddies hosted) and I'm even seeing a really cool girl at the moment. Looking up into the night sky during the stroll home, I just felt really content.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Probably loosing weight. I was about 105kg when I was 16. After graduating high school, had enough of being fat so I started exercising and eating a clean diet. Dropped nearly 40kg. That was 8 years ago, and I've stayed the same weight since.

Very impressive. Keep on being awesome.

fanboi

Banned
Being somewhat successful in my professional without doing one second in school (after high school that is).

Now have my own company.

But, all this pales in comparison of my family (two girls and one hot gf).

pubba

*Internet hug*

My answer is same as yours.

I won lottery a few years ago, traveled to a bunch of places and beat heroin addiction, but my first thought when I read the title was 'my daughter'

Seeing that little human for the first time was a massive transformation for me. It happened almost instantly - it was an amazing feeling.

Kangi

My best friend. Someone I can tell anything, and act however I want around. Someone I care about, and always click with whenever we're around each other.

That connection has been invaluable to me.

When release i do nothing and still get house, Healthcare, 10M net, electricity and 470€ per month. (200€ food,clothes,etc 270€ for candie's.)
gw-edupajoiss.gif

THANK GOD I AM BORN IN FINLAND

this alongside the Finnish education system explains why Finnish musicians are so god damn amazing.

Newline

The day my dad kicked me out of his house. That was the day my life really started, took a long time to come around but with a lot of support from my mum, I didn't let it knock me down and I went off to university.

This thread reminded that I became an American Citizen. I wish I could go to the states, I almost forgot because to people here I'll always be Dominican, I've being called a fake American and dumb things like that.

I dream of visiting the states and not dealing with this shit, but the news scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom