• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best thing that has ever happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I got a place on a sickeningly competitive grad scheme teaching English in Japan.

I've wanted to go for so many years.

I'm now sitting here on the tatami of my apartment brushing up on my Japanese directional words.

Still recovering from the jet lag, so yesterday I went for a bike ride around town to get my bearings (been here 2 days). Went into a local shrine at 4am and it was so perfectly quiet. I just broke down right there, most likely due to the fact that I've wanted this scheme for years, the immense changes in my life, and the horrific fatigue from the last week.

I am the happiest I have ever been.

Getting past the Bebop/Rocksteady boss in TMNT Arcade in front of folks when we were at the movies 17-18 years ago. Jumped for joy and yelled, because that was the first time I saw the skateboard level.

Graduating college 7 years ago, which took me six years, a school change, and becoming nearly insolvent to do so.

Winning gift cards at two different stores last year, along with finding 30 bucks in my mother's clothes that I was packing up to give away after she died last spring, then doubling it by playing the lottery for shits and giggles. Thanks, mom.

Monocle

Being born in this era. To think some people where born and dead a few years ago without color TV's, video games and the Internet.

Women are also prettier than ever.
Past centuries had some OK looking dudes though.

jzef1oQ.jpg

7YFisPU.jpg

qhir847.jpg

s6yXsCB.jpg

Unless you're going to tell me artists are liars.

I can't wait to have sex for the first time.
It's like squishing your fingers around in raw chicken parts, except your fingers are your penor and the chicken parts are somebody's insides.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Meeting my best friend whom I'm still friends with at the tail end of college, about 9 and a half years ago. Honestly the one thing I got out of college that I can say I truly value. Yes college was otherwise a wasted experience.

Row

Banned
Finishing my first marathon

I could barely run 1k when i started running and thought i was pathetic and reflected my life as a whole (was going through a rough time those days)

I kept at it, working my way up to the point where i no longer needed to take walking breaks. I eventually entered a marathon with low expectations but surprised myself by finishing without walking and in under 4hrs. I was so happy i got misty eyed crossing the finish line.

It wasnt simply finishing the race that made me happy, its what it symbolized in that i was capable of grwat things when i worked hard and have applied that to other areas of my life as well

Wichu

The best thing that's happened to me is finding my group of nearly a dozen best friends two years into secondary school. 7 years later, most of us are still really good friends, even though we've gone to different universities and are starting to spread out around the country.
We don't share many interests or opinions; our religious beliefs range from hardcore creationist to hardcore atheist; our educations range from 'meh' to world-class; our personalities are all over the place; but despite all our differences, I'm sure we'll remain a group of best friends for years to come.

Oh, and there's also the time I won my school raffle when I was 10 and bought a Game Boy Advance and Pokémon Sapphire with the prize money.

Zapages

1) I became a bit famous on the internet for Prince of Persia and running the largest Prince of Persia fan site out there for a good 10 years or so. I was even hosted by IGN/Gamespy. Good times.

2) Meeting and Interviewing the great guys up in Ubi Montreal back in PS2/Xbox/GC days. I've become great friends some of them up there. :) Also going to E3 2005 was fun and bringing my best friend along made the trip a blast. :)

3) Meeting Jordan Mechner and him signing two of my Prince of Persia graphic novels. I gave one copy to my professor who was a great Prince of Persia fan. :)

4) I am glad that my parents are still alive... My Mother has went through breast cancer, broken wrist, diverticulitis with removal of the gall bladder and part of sigmodial colon...

5) I am thankful for passing my PhD Quals, it was two days of hell and back. Plus I got a flat tire on my first day (got home around midnight) and was half a sleep the second day trying to answer questions in the morning.

Day 1 was from 9 am to 9 pm in night
Day 2 was 9 am to 4.30 pm in evening.

I will always remember those days.

PS: I almost got lost in Niagara falls and luckily my parents found me when I was 5 years old...

sirap

Coming to terms with my depression and finally accepting a few physical defects in my body and how it effects my chances of being with someone.

Once I got that out of the way my work productivity doubled. Granted it's a lonely life but I live comfortably so I've got nothing to complain about.

Time I did coke off Sasha Grey while grinding across the great wall of china

no wait

that was a dream

Coming to terms with my depression and finally accepting a few physical defects in my body and how it effects my chances of being with someone.

Once I got that out of the way my work productivity doubled. Granted it's a lonely life but I live comfortably so I've got nothing to complain about.

Pretty much this.

beast786

1) I became a bit famous on the internet for Prince of Persia and running the largest Prince of Persia fan site out there for a good 10 years or so. I was even hosted by IGN/Gamespy. Good times.

2) Meeting and Interviewing the great guys up in Ubi Montreal back in PS2/Xbox/GC days. I've become great friends some of them up there. :) Also going to E3 2005 was fun and bringing my best friend along made the trip a blast. :)

3) Meeting Jordan Mechner and him signing two of my Prince of Persia graphic novels. I gave one copy to my professor who was a great Prince of Persia fan. :)

4) I am glad that my parents are still alive... My Mother has went through breast cancer, broken wrist, diverticulitis with removal of the gall bladder and part of sigmodial colon...

5) I am thankful for passing my PhD Quals, it was two days of hell and back. Plus I got a flat tire on my first day (got home around midnight) and was half a sleep the second day trying to answer questions in the morning.

Day 1 was from 9 am to 9 pm in night
Day 2 was 9 am to 4.30 pm in evening.

I will always remember those days.

PS: I almost got lost in Niagara falls and luckily my parents found me when I was 5 years old...

nice man.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
1. Visiting NYC for the first time and getting drunk

2. Visiting Amsterdam and living in Sweden for three weeks :)

3. My first kiss!

4. My first kiss with a different girl! :)

5. Having had amazing family members, especially my parents, little sister, late grandpa, and grandma.

6. Having seen Titanfall.

7. Going out to a cabin with some friends and getting drunk

8. Learning how to make poppy seed tea

In no particular order other than 5 which is of course the tops.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
My kids and my current, burgeoning relationship. Losing 200 pounds.

Man, over 10 years of a loveless and nightmarish marriage and I never knew what it meant to enjoy someone else's company and have them enjoy mine.

It's an awesome feeling.

Musolf815

I'm not sure if this is the "best" moment but this has to be up there...

I went to a WWE show in my hometown. Got a T shirt for Christian, as he'd be defending his ECW title there and he's my favorite guy. After he wins his match, he goes up to the top rope near me (I had third row seats but the gap in front of me basically made them front row), I was up by the barricade and made a kind of gesture like "hey I got your shirt" hoping to get a high five or something. Christian stared at me as he climbed down off the apron and out of the ring towards me, and made a gesture to come over the barricade. He told me to bring my camera and I followed him into the ring. He took my camera and gave me his belt and told me to do his hand sign with my free hand. He took a picture and made sure it was good before he gave me back my camera. We shook hands as I thanked him and got out of the ring, and everyone wanted to high five me as I got back to my seat. It was like living my kid dream of being a wrestler in one awesome moment. I thanked him again for it on Twitter when he got one and he sent me back a nice message.

My mom and dad divorced during an early age of my life. Even though they no longer were together, they maintained a healthy relationship and would always bring the family together for major holidays or vacations. This allowed me to see my sisters and mother even though I lived states apart. I thank my mom and dad for being there and not just abandoning each others lives. Easily the happiest part of my life.

Being falsely diagnosed with cancer when I was 7. I grew up in Central Siberia and when the doctors thought I had lymphoma, I moved to England to live with my great aunt to have it removed. It ended up being a benign tumor, but I stayed in England for five years, receiving annual checkups just to make sure. At the end of the five years, I was supposed to move back to Siberia, but, coincidentally, my great aunt (bless her) was diagnosed with lung cancer, and her daughter, who had been living in the U.S. for over a decade at that point, moved both of us to live with her on the West Coast.

Had the doctors in Siberia not borked my diagnosis, I'd probably still be living there; likely working in a mine or some other industrial job, chain-smoking and drinking my way to an early death. Instead, I live in the DC area, work in IT for a Fortune 150 company making six figures, traveling, and having a pretty awesome and stress-free life in general.

So, essentially, benign and malignant tumors were responsible for my good fortune.

vikki

I made some amazing catches in baseball and later in softball. We're talking leaping and diving catches. Not much can make you feel like the man more than doing something incredible when there are spectators.

DJed for a crowd of 900 at an anime convention. I was nervous as hell, but I killed it and it was AWESOME!!

Won year's worth of free rentals from a movie store.

Acorn

My family. My grandfather in particular prior to his death, his values still shape most of my decision making.

My aim in life is to be even half the man he was.

Tabris

3+ years ago I decided to leave an industry which I had been in for 7+ years for a new company and industry (still in software though - but scary, starting from scratch in some ways). Went from a bit over 50k to 6 figures within those 3 years. Radically changed... actually changing my life.

So the moral of the story, if you feel you are stagnant, try something else and you never know.

strata8

Being invited to go out somewhere with someone? I dunno. I don't really have friends, so that was a big thing for me.

- My sister.

- Accepted into the JET programme. Biggest dream in life at that point achieved.

- Lost 30lbs

- Dream jobs: trail guide, JET, comic books, video games

- Serendipitous re-connection with a hot old friend and now we're engaged

Life's been pretty good to me.

LProtag

Starting on my path to become a teacher.

I'm so glad that I was able to find a career path to support myself that makes me feel like I'm doing something meaningful and important while I'm working.

beast786

Being falsely diagnosed with cancer when I was 7. I grew up in Central Siberia and when the doctors thought I had lymphoma, I moved to England to live with my great aunt to have it removed. It ended up being a benign tumor, but I stayed in England for five years, receiving annual checkups just to make sure. At the end of the five years, I was supposed to move back to Siberia, but, coincidentally, my great aunt (bless her) was diagnosed with lung cancer, and her daughter, who had been living in the U.S. for over a decade at that point, moved both of us to live with her on the West Coast.

Had the doctors in Siberia not borked my diagnosis, I'd probably still be living there; likely working in a mine or some other industrial job, chain-smoking and drinking my way to an early death. Instead, I live in the DC area, work in IT for a Fortune 150 company making six figures, traveling, and having a pretty awesome and stress-free life in general.

So, essentially, benign and malignant tumors were responsible for my good fortune.

Seems like your great aunt was the best thing and a saint.

Also forgot to add my wife right next to my son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom