• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with the Square-Enix Online Store?

Boss Mog

So on Thanksgiving, I placed an order on the Square-Enix Online Store cause they were having an insane sale with a ton of their physical games being 6 to 12 bucks. Sadly I already had a lot of their games since I'm somewhat of a fan of the company. Plus money is really tight for me right now due to my mother's medical troubles. Nevertheless I placed an order for 4 games because the prices were too good to be true, 1 of which was Nier for 6 bucks, a game that I've been wanting to play for a very long time and that I know GAF likes a lot.

So it takes them a week to finally ship out my order which seems pretty long but I'm like: "okay, whatever, they're probably super busy, no big deal". Apparently they used UPS SurePost to send me the games which means UPS delivers the package to my local post office and then USPS does the final delivery to my residence. As such the package has 2 tracking numbers, 1 for UPS and a 2nd one for USPS. So after a while of not getting it yet, I check the tracking and UPS's tracking number says they delivered it to my local post office while the USPS one says they are awaiting the delivery by UPS and this status continues for a couple of days so then I call UPS and USPS and the first assured me that they delivered it to my post office and the second assures me they never got it. So at this point I go to the SE Online Store and try to find a number to call somebody there, but all they seem to have is an email system for support and so I write them an email to tell them what's happened and I hear nothing from them for 3 days, so then I send another email and then another 4 days goes by and still nada. So now it's been almost a month since I ordered and SE has my money and I have absolutely nothing to show for it except a headache.

I just don't understand how such a huge game publisher could have such an amateurish storefront for their online store. It's pretty embarrassing that in this day and age they don't have a phone number listed for support or live chat or even an email system that replies to you in a timely manner (on most other sites it's usually within 24 hours). And as it turns out this whole debacle is entirely their fault. I was finally able to get a hold of somebody at my local post office who told me that they did get the package but that it had no street address on the label, just my name, apt.# and zip; and my address is perfectly listed on my SE Online Store account, so it's not my fault. Sadly though when the postal worker told me this he also informed me that they had already sent it back to sender.

So I'm kind of really annoyed at the whole situation by this point and I'm very afraid that the best outcome I'll be able to achieve will be me getting a refund from them at some point which is not at all what I want since the games have pretty much tripled in price now that they're not on sale anymore and I just can't afford them at their current price. I just want to get what I ordered at the price I ordered it at. It seems like the most basic expectation when ordering something online but apparently not for the SE Online Store.

I had heard some bad things about the SE store back in the day when it was run by digitalriver but SE changed it to pepitastore so I thought it was safe to order, but apparently not.

TL;DR: The SE Online Store's customer service and support seems to be completely non-existent which is pretty ridiculous for such a large publisher.

Anybody have bad experiences with them since they switched to pepitastore? If so what was the outcome and do you have a phone number for them?

zebass

Neo Member
Recently I ordered the FFX/X-2 HD CE. It came in, on the very last day it possibly could have. I jumped the gun a bit and ended up putting in a ticket. It's been over a week now and no reply, so if I'd actually had a problem, i'd be SOL. I found a number, but the number just told you to email, so that's really your only option. You could try bugging them on twitter. I know the SE EU responds on there, I don't know about the NA one. I wish you luck, but if push comes to shove, you could contact your credit card place and have them undo the payment, they'll usually do it in situations like this.

Dio

Banned
It's been shitty for a while. I remember getting Drakengard 3 since they did an exclusive pre-order bonus with the Japanese voices for free if you preordered with them through their store front (they distributed it with Digital River as a distributor) and it was a fucking nightmare to get the DLC code out of them. They didn't send either of the codes (I got two copies, one for me and one for a friend) and it was an enormous pain in the ass and like fifteen emails before I finally got the codes to download the Japanese voicepacks.

JayEH

Wow that's absolutely ridiculous. Was considering purchasing from them over black friday but decided not to in the end. Hope everything works out for you but I really don't understand how a big company can forget to print out a street address. Don't they just have machines that print whatever's on your account info lol.

Mediking

Wow... The only time I ordered from them was for Kingdom Hearts 3D and the game actually came in earlier that what was intended. Still though, that's sooi messed up. Thanks for reminding me to stick to Walmart, Best Buy and GameStop for ordering games online.

It's Christmas time and pretty much all package services are swamped. Sounds like it shipped pretty late, moved slowly, and also got caught in a really busy time of year.

Your beef is with the two postal services, Square's store likely can't help you.

Boss Mog

Sounds like your gripe is with UPS Surepost and/or your local post office and not Square Enix. It's cheap and it's slow.

Also UPS and USPS are completely swamped with packages and delivery times are lagging everywhere. It's not just you.

It's Christmas time and pretty much all package services are swamped. Sounds like it shipped pretty late, moved slowly, and also got caught in a really busy time of year.

Your beef is with the two postal services, Square's store likely can't help you.

I don't know if you guys read the whole story but It's 100% SE's fault for omitting my street address on the shipping label. But even if it was because of UPS/USPS, it's not my problem, it's the stores problem to get me my order, they're responsible for getting it to me no matter what.

Recently I ordered the FFX/X-2 HD CE. It came in, on the very last day it possibly could have. I jumped the gun a bit and ended up putting in a ticket. It's been over a week now and no reply, so if I'd actually had a problem, i'd be SOL. I found a number, but the number just told you to email, so that's really your only option. You could try bugging them on twitter. I know the SE EU responds on there, I don't know about the NA one. I wish you luck, but if push comes to shove, you could contact your credit card place and have them undo the payment, they'll usually do it in situations like this.

FFX/X-2 HD LE on PS4 was one of the games I ordered from them as well since it was the same price as the non-LE sales I saw on Black Friday. The non-LEs were selling out on Best Buy and Newegg too, and I thought to myself, those guys are suckers since SE is offering the LE at the same price, but looks like the sucker was me in the end cause they probably all have their game. I ordered with PayPal so I guess if worse comes to worst I'll have to contact them about it, hopefully they'll be on my side. But as I said in the OP, I really would rather have my games than a refund.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got Chrono Trigger DS and TWEWY in that sale and got them the next week.

I think Digital River runs their online store. They're kind of shit.

eastx

I bought Dragon Quest Heroes CE with Priority Mail shipping last week and got a shipping notification on Monday. But the shipping status still reads as "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS" three days later. I'm worried they didn't really send it and won't do so until next week, which is a really lame way to handle holiday sales and "Priority" shipping.

Top Bottom