• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the "one new thing" Nintendo could add to the N64 Mini (like Star Fox 2) ?

The SNES Classic Mini had this "one new thing" to entice fans in buying the thing: Star Fox 2. I doubt the SNES mini needed that to generate excitement, but I know from reading the reveal thread from back in June that people were hyped over the inclusion of Star Fox 2.

Let's pretend the N64 Classic Mini happens. What is that "one new thing" Nintendo could offer with it? Some unreleased game, perhaps? I don't know of any. Here's my idea:

online multiplayer for Super Smash Bros., or all games if possible

The N64 was very multiplayer-focused. I think that working in technology to make that multiplayer happen over the internet would be bananas. Smash alone would get people to lose their goddamn mind.

The only issue is I'm not sure how feasible this is. Not only would adding a network chip raise the cost of production, but maintaining servers for this niche product might be asking too much.

But if they did it. Man.

Tarry

Perhaps something like a localised version of the F-Zero X expansion pack or some other weird obscure DD thing that was only in Japan.

Starfox 2 is kind of a special case because it was actually a finished product that went years without being officially released. It's the same thing with Earthbound Beginnings, they already had a translated ROM laying around that wasn't officially released until 2015.

I'm kinda struggling to think of a similar situation with the N64. Maybe they could put in some 64DD content like the F-Zero X level editor? lol

N64DD games like Mario Artist and F-Zero Expansion Kit
Localized versions of Animal Crossing and Doshin the Giant (based on GC releases).
Zelda Master Quest
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie with Stop n Swop

The others are a bit pipe dreamy but Master Quest and maybe the DD games I can see since they already exist.

Sin and Punishment would be an easy but cool one too.

Edit - Ooh, here'd be a fun one...

Compatibility with a GameBoy Classic for Pokemon Stadium.

N64DD stuff and OoT Master Quest are the only things I can see them including.

Also maybe having the games run at a good framerate.

Not really new since it was released in the west on virtual console but the localized version of Sin & Punishment better be in there. One of the very best N64 games alongside Mario and Zelda.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The the ff6 remake that was done (it was only a test of concept with a single battle I think but a man can dream!)

Wonder if they have any demos that were playable to the public they could include.
AC is a neat one, but I think it’s japanese only.

I totally see Master Quest and F-Zero X Expansion Kit to some extent.

Mario Artist would be a mess since it relies on the compatibility between each entry.
Also they need Rare's approval to rerelease Mario Artist Paint Studio since it contains Rareware renders in it.

Nairume

Banned
Sin & Punishment would have been had it not been twice released on VC, so my guess would be Master Quest. It's also been released elsewhere, but isn't quite as readily available as S&P.

Long shot would be a localization of Animal Crossing or Doshin, but I doubt they'd do the extra work.

Goldeneye would also be a good miracle game just because of all the rights issues.

Fiendcode

Either figuring out the rights quagmire with Goldeneye 007 or having a secret translation of Animal Crossing Beginnings ready to go.

NekoFever

I'd love to see Dinosaur Planet. I thought that game looked stunning when I saw it in magazines way back when.

Is there any official word on how close to completion the N64 version was?

Boem

I really can't see them adding online to a product like this. That would drive the price up like crazy.

MomoQca

In a perfect world, it would be all the Rare games (Banjo, Perfect Dark, Conker, etc.) that are no longer exclusive to Nintendo.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
That "Other" version of Zelda. Not the Master Quest and not the on that become Majora's Mask. I vaguely remember another game that was unfinished, might be mistaken.

edit:
It was called "URA Zelda" and was like a remix planned for the 64DD.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That friggin' Robotech game. I don't care that it doesn't exist, make a new one and tell me it's the old one. I need closure.

woopWOOP

64DD F-Zero is the obvious choice.
I'd buy a mini just for that

Any other 64DD game would be neat too, tho I'm guessing that in most cases they never got to translating any of those and they probably don't really want to bother now.

Top Bottom