• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst fit of gaming rage you've ever had?

I have never been one to get upset over videogames but I can certainly see why people would get angry in some situations. It is frustrating to put so much time/effort into doing something only to screw up.

I think the most flustered I have ever gotten because of a video game was while I was playing Demon's Souls. I died after a long session of back tracking to my body and lost a LOT of souls and time. All it amounted to though was a tight clench on my controller and an extended sigh.

My roommates aren't as cool headed as me though. They are warned before hand that they will be banned from my stuff if they ever throw any of my controllers. Now that kind of stuff makes my angry. I just dont see how throwing a 45 dollar controller is in any way a mature or reasonable action and yet a lot of people do it.

Blackie

sajj316 said:
So .. when I got the Sega Saturn, it was all that I played (Alpha 2!). One day, my dad came home from the overnight shift and it's respectful when he walks through the door to stand up. My brother and I kept playing and completely ignored him for 10 minutes. He got pissed, took a scissor, and cut the chord on the controller (only one of them). In a state of rage, I took my frustrations out on the back door of the house. Along with unhinging the door by violently shaking it, I also put my head through the door window. Thankfully, I didn't bleed as a result of my stupidity. My whole family stood there in a state of shock. I then bought an N64 and became a peaceful human being ever since.

EDIT: Not exactly raging due to the game .. but raging do to the inability to game

Lol I love this story since it stunned your entire family and sounds like it had no major consequences.

Mr. B

mxgt said:
World of Warcraft PvP arenas.

I quit in TBC.
2v2 arenas were the source of many of my rage fits. I broke a ceramic plate in half, which in turn sliced my hand open. The scar reminds me to just not give a fuck about gaming losses.

Pete Rock

I knew a lot of kids who would rage and throw controllers and even systems, depending on how well off their family was and how terrible their parents were. Wrestling games were seemingly predisposed towards this, for whatever reason and I see a lot of those comments supporting that here as well.

The only time I ever got close to "raging" was with a buddy of mine, we were both into TF really hardcore, but he was into the clan scene and tournaments and I was more of a community and pub player. He swore a certain player was cheating, and I'd watch my buddy play against him in matches and it looked like stereotypical wallhack and aimbot behavior to me. Aside from the unreal raw aiming skill and reaction times, he'd interrupt his movements and double back for no apparent reason consistently and always in just enough time to cut off the attacking squad in ctf.

This player always denied the allegations and we ended bullshitting with him on IRC and somehow acquiring & looking up his address on the mapquest of the day and planning to drive up there, knock on his door, drag him out into his front lawn and beat the shit out of him. Hey, it was only 2 hours away, why not?

A month later he ended up getting found guilty of using proxy bots and was banned from all competitions from then out. I remember reflecting at the time that we both seriously considered having an assault and battery charge on our permanent records was going to be worth it to teach this cheating douche a lesson. That was something like 12 years ago.

I read about the kid last year who got stabbed for using wallhacks in CS at a LAN and I remember thinking that made total sense. Sad, really.

Similarly, the worse I saw anyone ever rage in real life was at an informal CS lan party. I had played since Beta 1 and my buddy had all these johnny come lately 1.0> players over and they just couldn't hang, in the worst ways. By the end of the night we were running 7 v 1s on de_prodigy for fucks sake, and I was still smoking these guys. The one was a real try hard and near the fourth round I said fuck it and bought a para to really toy with them.

The self proclaimed best player of the bunch is the last player and knows my location, I'm camping by CT spawn bombsite near ladder & across from the pipes, so he literally jumps around the corner with his MP5 full auto and I crouch under his fire, swing my para and one-shot him in the forehead. Not in a stream of bullets, not as I wildly swing my mouse, just a calm-as-a-bomb arc motion and "click" single-shot to the fucking face with all the other CT's dead and spectating.

The kid literally screams in agony and in one swift motion bolts upright out of his chair while hurling his CRT monitor off the back of the folding table, picks up his keys and storms out of the room. We hear the front door slam shut, his care fire up and he peels out of the driveway. I was crying laughing, to this day it still makes me smirk thinking of how bad he lost it over some stupid little screw off session.

The best part was this was supposed to be our "warm up" the night before a big local lan tourney and we all had to play as a cohesive five man team the next day, and I had just met these kids. He slept at his moms and we met him at the tourney the next day, where he went negative every match.

Broke my first SP in half trying to catch Rayquaza in Ruby version. Motherfucker was in the red and paralyzed and he broke out of 50 fucking Ultraballs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, this thread reminds me of... the bad things I've done.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Broke a Game Boy on my face about 15 years ago. Whenever I got into a rage while playing I would hit myself in the forehead with the Game Boy...the screen eventually cracked.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I think it was when I broke my controller playing DBZ Budokai 2. I don't even remember what I was mad about exactly, I just remember me having to buy a new controller after that shit.

I remember when my friend started punching his brother hard when he was getting beat in NBA Ballers. He was pissed at him for shooting so many 3's and MAKING most of them. Well, his brother complied and stopped shooting 3's. He still beat him anyway. lol

I'll share two. They both involve my brother.

The scene: late '80s, parents' house, home from college

The game: some football sim where you called the plays and the little O's ran the offense while the X's were the D

The rage: there was this reverse that I kept calling on offense that my brother couldn't stop. Could. Not. Stop. So I kept calling it. Play after play. 15 yard gain, 20 yard gain. TD. He'd try the same thing on me but somehow I was picking the right defense. My fiancee called while we were in the middle of playing and I'm telling her how I'm calling the same play over and over and --

WHAM!

He tackled me. We scrambled around until I had him in a headlock, he had me n sme hold and shoved me into the couch. My fiancee still says "I could hear you two wrestling like idiots." So anyway deadlock. He has me pinned onto the couch, pushing me, and I have him in a headlock, and the backing on the couch snapped. We could both hear it.

The funny part: of course when he tackled me he didn't pause the game. I had so many delay of game penalties that I was back on my own 1 yard line.

Mike M

Nick N
Never raged as much at a game as I have against playing Puzzle Fighter with my friends in high school.

So many rightful victories snatched away at the last possible second. So many.

Second one.

The scene: my house, early 90s, bro visiting

The game: some golf game on the Sega Genesis

The rage: well, he was winning, and I kept hitting fades to the right. Kept missing the green. Sand traps. Bogeys. By 17 I had had it. I put one in the trees to the right of the green and kicked in anger... And put my foot through the drywall in my bedroom.

The funny part: we moved the TV over to cover the hole and kept playing. When my wife came home she was like "why is the tv moved in our room?"

Needless to say there was some patching done after that.

Diablo 2 had me in the worst rage of my life. I logged into my 94 sorc, come to realize my account had been hacked and all my items inlcuding a legit tals set that took hundreds of hours to collect, were missing. Not only that, they had taken everything from all my other characters including an enigma, I ended up having to buy a new mouse and keyboard after that day...

Counterstrike gets an honorable mention tho, so many 2 am runs to walmart to find a new mouse... THat was in my puberty years though, since then I've luckily calmed down. I did rage a bit in GTA IV for the same reason of the poster above.. but luckily ended up taking in out on a couch cushion

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm going to laugh at others, I may as well contribute:

DSCF2091.jpg

This was the aftermath of a reaction to some particularly vicious SFIV (vanilla) lag at the end of a particularly bad night, back when I took online play way too seriously.

I just lost control for a split second, and spiked the poor Sixaxis into the carpet.
Was still finding bits around the room the next day.

I had never done anything so stupid, and only took photos to serve as a reminder of how never to do anything like it again.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Small Mailman said:
Broke my first SP in half trying to catch Rayquaza in Ruby version. Motherfucker was in the red and paralyzed and he broke out of 50 fucking Ultraballs.

And then he'd use Rest and restore all his health and cure his status. Such a cheating bastard legendary, easily one of the worst legendaries to catch outside of the roamers.

Halcyon

My computer keyboard took alot of abuse when I was into online pc games. Id often slam my fist right down on the keys. The J key usually popped off but other than that it kept together well considering the abuse.

Worst was probably raging after something that went wrong in Dark Age of Camelot. Standing up screaming a manly Schwarzeneger yell, then kicking a lamp that was laying on the floor for some reason. Light bulb shattered all over. Spent days finding pieces.

Booshka

Halo 2; was in a very competitive and heated match of MLG Slayer on Lockout in Matchmaking. The score was going back and forth for the last 10 kills, and we had previously made a run of like 10-2 to comeback. So, my team was close to winning, up 49-47 when some cheating ass on the other team started to standby the connection. We all starting lagging, and the kid on the other team ran around the map with free reign and cleaned up three kills to win 50-49.

When I got back from blue screen and saw what happened, I just lost it. Grabbed the Halo 2 disc out of the tray, opened the front door, and flung that shit like a frisbee down the street. I didn't play H2 for like a year after that. I realized what had made me so mad was that one of the greatest H2 games I have ever played, was ruined by some butthurt kid who couldn't stand to just lose a good game straight up. Win or lose, that game was bad ass, but some people care so much about stupid rank, that they would rather cheat than enjoy good games. That was why I was mad, not even because we lost. It just epitomized the worst of that community.

Lurknomore

Neo Member
I'm not a angry fit kinda guy over video games, but I remember that my brother and my friends broke many a Genesis controller after long tourneys of NHL hockey. We broke so many that I remember that we'd buy a controller or two almost everytime we went to aisle next to the World of Nintendo at TRU.

Dregun

Banned
WOW dude, I laughed. I looked at it more of the context that it was your brother and trying to ignore the very scary age difference of you beating on him.

This was an epic rage I witnessed back in NES days.

My uncle (wasn't even a year older then me) and his friend were playing Contra at his friends house. Of course..up up down down left right left right a b a b select start or whatever and they had 100 lives. Problem is we just discovered the code that morning because it was in a gaming magazine.

So they are doing good and everything is looking great until my uncles friend decides it would be funny to just start dying on purpose to chew up all those extra guys. Needless to say by the time he stopped effing around they were at the final level. Suddenly they only had 3 guys left and my uncle dies for like the 4th time the entire game...2 lives left. His friend dies..1 life left.

Just about to beat the level and his friends older brother( 2 years) comes in and flips the light switch (was kinda dark). That switch was attached to the power outlet and actually turned off the TV and console (we unplugged the lamp so we could hook up my uncles NES)

Like something out of a horrible YouTube video my uncle and his friend get up...open tackle that guy start kicking him and punching him raging so hard core and then it happened. DUDE STOOD UP AND KNOCKED THEM BOTH THE F OUT..one punch for him..one punch for my uncle!!!! I actually pissed myself a little thinking I was next.

Best part, he took the lamp and threw it on the ground on top of them and said "I was just tryin to turn on the light you fuckin bitchs"

So Epic, their rage actually got the best of them and when their dad came home shortly after and asked what happened to the brother with a black eye they were too afraid (and probably embarrassed) to tell him..LOL

eagledare

1. Curb-stomped the sweet ever-loving Christ out a PS3 controller playing MGS Online right after MGS4 was released. Over the course of five minutes I was put in 3 consecutive choke holds by sneaky rat motherfuckers as I carefully lined up a headshot. After the fourth headlock animation started I was already in mid stomp. I think the 54 login screens to get logged in with my Konami ID might have played a part in that also.

2. Playing Ninja Gaiden Black on hard I rocketed my Xbox controller into the wall fighting Alma's second form. Yeah, weird to rage on the second form instead of the first, I know. Splintered into about a hundred pieces.

3. When I was ten years old I walked into our home after a long day at school and found a cat chewing on my NES gamepad cord. With lightning-quick reflexes I scooped him up and hurled him across the room like I was trying for the gold medal in a fucking Olympic shot put contest. He just barely managed to wedge his feed against the wall and recovered with some strider-esqe wall bounding before exploding into a cloud of hair and blood mist. My dad stood in the living room doorway in his underwear after a day of doing nothing and gruffly said "Boy (don't throw cats)."

SamuraiX-

NBA 2K.

I'm sure anyone else who plays these games can relate to the amount of bull shit that can happen to you which just feels cheap and gamebreaking at times.

I used to throw controllers, but I nearly broke one once. Thankfully I have a sturdy wooden table where I place my computer and I usually play games on consoles right from my computer chair. Now whenever I feel a rage trip coming on, I just slam my knuckles into either side or the main top surface of the wood as hard as I can and for some reason I tend to calm down a little bit when I can't feel my hand anymore.

SovanJedi said:
And then he'd use Rest and restore all his health and cure his status. Such a cheating bastard legendary, easily one of the worst legendaries to catch outside of the roamers.
He is the reason I stopped playing video games for a while haha.

Carnby

After yet another online cheap loss, from a broken character, on MK Armageddon, I threw the disc across the room shattering it into two pieces. The only thought that came to my mind was, "good. I'm glad it's broken. Now I have no choice but to never play this game again."

I bought it a few weeks later at BOMBA price.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm generally nice in-person, but I can rage and troll a lot. Anger FEEDS MEEEEEE!

Latest was TF2. I was familiar with the server and knew the players. I look at the scores and know the team I was joining already had the anal lube out. It was the last map and point on dustbowl and I still end up third on the team at the end of the round. So I start raging at my team when we go on offense.

Player called Martypants I kept calling 'Mcfly' and used 'hello! Hello! Mcfly!'
Player called Astropossibility I kept calling 'Astroglide'

People called me out for using Uber on Red? Told them to STFU since there's no point in kritz if the team can't kill anything.

Yelled at engies and their stupid placements (next to each other)

Yelled at shitty spies and too many snipers.

Yelled at pyros for not spy checking.

Yelled at dumbass medics using kritz on blu.

Though I tell you what! While I was yelling, I also told them what to do. I think the team needed to be whipped because we almost won on offense after getting killed on defense. I had the highest score too. The Angry TF2 Professor!

KingK

I never get violently angry or break shit, but I still get really pissed sometimes.

Most recently, I got pissed at the final boss in DKC Returns and just said "fuck this shit." I turned off the system and I never went back to beat it.

Also, I remember back when I was playing Final Fantasy X, I got so pissed at the Yunalesca boss fight that I threw the controller and didn't come back to the game for like a month, lol.

heyf00L

About 1 minute ago:

I've been slowly progressing through Mass Effect. I haven't played for a few months because of school, but I finally had a chance today. I just played for about 2 hours and then got 1-shot killed. Yeah, totally forgot about no check-points. I'm too pissed to play all that over again. Guess I'll never beat it or play ME2.

Back when I was a kid, when I would continuously lose to M. Bison in Street Fighter, I would bite into the flesh of my arm. Yes, I hurt myself because of gaming rage. Yes, I got therapy.

I've been gaming since the NES launched and don't remember doing anything particularly crazy over all those years other than spiking a few GameCube controllers into the ground over F-Zero GX's story mode.

That is, of course, other than the time I smashed my GBA SP screen first into the pointed corner of my old dresser at my parents house after losing to the final boss in Superstar Saga for the fiftieth time. That poor SP exploded all over the place...

I ended up buying a new SP a few days later and that's when I realized I hadn't purchased new overalls throughout the entire game and that's why the end boss did so much damage. Heh...

Top Bottom