• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst fit of gaming rage you've ever had?

ScOULaris

We've all been there. Coming so close to finally completing some segment of a game after having retried countless times over and over, only to make some small mistake and be forced to start the process all over again. Everyone who has been playing games since at least the 8-bit era has reached their breaking point at some point and completely lost their shit. Oftentimes, something expensive gets broken in the wake of their unbridled fury.

Now, I personally don't have too many stories to tell (I'm pretty even-tempered), but I always love hearing gamer freakout stories. We've all seen videos of kids going absolutely apeshit over a game, but let's just stick to personal stories in this thread.

Since I have to provide my own example to start us off, here's the worst one I can think of:

I was either a junior or senior in high school, and my little brother was watching me play some game on the PS2. Unfortunately, I can't remember what game it was. What I do remember is my brother (he's nine years younger than me) laughing hysterically every time that I screwed up and had to restart whatever task I was trying to accomplish in the game. His incessant laughing combined with the frustration of having to redo this thing for the umpteenth time caused me to snap. Without even batting an eye, I threw down my controller as he was in the middle of yet another fit of laughter and punched him full-force right in the gut. That's right. I, an 18-year-old man, socked a fucking nine-year-old right in the breadbasket. It knocked the wind out of him so badly that I thought I had killed him. It took him nearly a full minute to recover. Needless to say, I felt incredibly guilty.

So yeah, while most people break controllers when they're angry, I punch children.

What's your story?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn dude, that's some cold shit. Hitting a 9 year old.

The most I've been pissed, I ended up turning off the system and walking out. What good is rage?

Harpuia

WTF dude. :lol

I usually throw the controller, but I haven't done so in a couple years. Now I just curse a lot if a part is too hard or impossible.

Emitan

The Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts DLC. I kept redoing one of the races for 4 hours until I beat it. I was gripping my controller so hard in rage that I nearly broke it. And my A button is partially ruined from being pushed super hard for four hours straight. Fuck that game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I threw my Illusion of Gaia tape on the wall.

It didn't break fortunately.

Not me, but my younger brother throw a NES controller through the window when I was beating dat ass in Madden.

Our Dad was pissed.

ultron87

One of my Xbox controllers still has a bad X button because of the second to last boss in DMC4.

He has a super attack that you have to block using your grab attack. Unfortunately you've been an entirely different character for the last 4 hours and forget that you have a grab attack.

That controller was flung across the room with great conviction.

The worst was when I was younger. My poor, abused NES. I would get so pissed off that, at my worst, I would slam my first down on the top of the console, producing a loud "clang" as the cart popped up and the screen started changing colors. This, of course, only increased my rage :lol

Sonic games used to really get under my skin and frustrate me also, but I was at my worst during the NES years. I've mellowed out a lot since then. I'm still known to sometimes utter expletives and other vile, absurd language when a game kicks my ass.

depward

Haven't raged in years. Last time I did rage (mostly yelling obscenities) was when Gears of War 1 came out and when I played MP.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
In the KZ3 Beta

Some GAF members tried to party up, it was broken, but we tried our best to play together or against each other

The problem arose for me was my team was being base camped, with 4 fucking Mechs @_@!

I was slippery and could get out here and there, but some GAF members were just grieving, for grieving sakes

I spawned 6 times in a row to direct multiple rockets right at my spawn
(Hell I even delayed it, but the barrage was non stop)

I got super upset, rage quit, never played BETA again, played well over 20+ hours during the 3-4 days after initial release but that night something in me snapped, and just said fuck this

Not sure what was the worst, but here are some that come to mind:

Disconnects (still during lousy dial up modem era) during heated Starcraft online battles, broke PC case, keyboard, stuff.
Blue Shell in Mario Kart Wii during online game, destroyed cc.
Shit for brains teammates in team-based FPS, raged on mic.

Bii

Damn, I'd hate you forever if I was your brother.

I've always kept my cool. Even during sessions of Street Fighter/Vs. games, where my friends would obnoxiously ridicule me whether I win or lose. The worst I've done was just dropping my controller down and turning the system off.

Mr. Sam

The OP's story reminds me of my brother. One instance that always jumps to mind is when he beat me - physically, not at the game - after I danced rings around him in the original Fight Night. I just slipped every last one of his punches until his guy was so exhausted I knocked him out in one quick flurry. He went apeshit.

My personal story is when a friend of mine was abusing Rey Mysterio's possum pin on Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. I absolutely destroyed him time after time but he would constantly pull off a cheap win with it. It was basically a pin and a finisher rolled into one. Finally, I hit my finisher on him, went for the pin and... possum pin.

I spat on my TV, unplugged my Xbox, beat it with a shoe and then threw it out of my room.

Grisby

I don't rage. I mostly get defeated and say stuff like, "Aw come ooonnnnnnn."

Then I man that shit up and beat the hell out of it.

Mr. Sam said:
The OP's story reminds me of my brother. One instance that always jumps to mind is when he beat me - physically, not at the game - after I danced rings around him in the original Fight Night. I just slipped every last one of his punches until his guy was so exhausted I knocked him out in one quick flurry. He went apeshit.

My personal story is when a friend of mine was abusing Rey Mysterio's possum pin on Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. I absolutely destroyed him time after time but he would constantly pull off a cheap win with it. It was basically a pin and a finisher rolled into one. Finally, I hit my finisher on him, went for the pin and... possum pin.

I spat on my TV, unplugged my Xbox, beat it with a shoe and then threw it out of my room.

:lol :lol :lol

Haeleos

I've broken too many controllers. I think last year I had 4 break. A Logitech G500, 2 Mad Catz Street Fighter Fightpads and a PS3 dualshock3. The mad catz controllers would just die in the middle of an online match or would try to reconnect to the cheap wireless dongles they come with so I'd throw them at the concrete wall, glue them back together and use the warranty on them... worthless shit. The G500 Mouse would hitch and simultaneously, our raid group wiped in LotRO, so I Kratos'ed that shit into the floor. And it was my brother who threw the PS3 controller into the ground over missing a putt in Hot Shots Golf. RAAAGE!

Mario Kart and Call of Duty. Funny thing is, I don't like either game and I am not skilled at all, but they make me rage like no other and curse like a sailor.

I've never destroyed anything or thrown a controller though.

comedian

Demons' Soul: I can't remember where and when but I remember dying for the 100th time. Threw my controller on the floor ( carpet floor so it fortunately didn't break despite throwing it pretty hard) and a lot of swearing.... I came back like a bitch five minutes later.

Oh right, my desktop was at my desk level, so once I punched it with all my rage and strength. It stopped working, had to change the CPU.

Can't remember what I was playing though.

Leunam

OP you should have punched him in the face then you wouldn't have knocked the wind out of him.

You might have knocked him unconscious, though. :/

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The only time I can remember actually breaking something (a Xbox Duke controller, of all things) was when playing a duel event in Burnout Revenge. The rubberbanding IA was so bad the only way to win was to make a perfect race, while staying close behind the IA, and to boost at the last corner. It was a 6 minutes long event, and you had to go on the left side in blind corners to keep up with the IA (who would magically avoid the oncoming traffic of course). Basically it was all about luck in the corners, and it drove me crazy.

anddo0

I was about 14, got so frustrated with Tony Larussa Baseball '95. I took the game to the backyard, sat on top a piece of cinder block, and smashed it to pieces with a hammer.

Nowadays I just scream, or throw punches into the air.. Never broken a controller.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I put my fist through my monitor trying to beat the last fight in the original Medal of Honor. I did this less than 16 months ago, so, err, I was well over 40.

Maybe I was just mad at EA.

RdN

I really can't tell.. I've had so many rage moments playing Halo 2/3/Reach that I can't even count them anymore. :lol

God I love threads like this :lol

I have a friend who played a lot of NES when he was young with his older brother while their mom was at work. They didn't have much in the house to play so they borrowed games from friends a lot. One of their friends straight up gave them Karnov. They soon found out why.

Finally my friend's brother took the game up the stairs in their apartment and hurled the cart with all his might at the ground floor, cracking the case in two. A few hours later he had resorted to trying to play it again. It still worked, to his relief and dismay :lol

GTA4. The final mission. Every time I'd get to the boat the game would blow me up with the rocket from the helicopter. On the seventh time I pulled the disc out snapped it in half and tossed it in the trash.

I also cracked a pool cue across my brothers back but I can't remember if that was gaming related or just brotherly love.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
My friend threw his xbox controller against a wall while playing NBA Jam. The controller broke and his girlfriend became super scared.

Cornbread78

Last fu(king night I was playing Lunar: Dragon Song before I went to bed, I usually play for 30 mins or so after work. (from about 11:30-12am) Well I beat a boss, then went to save the game and got a "no save available" message, so I played a little further hoping that it would work, but again and again, got the same message. Finally around 1:15am (I have to get back up for work at 5:45am) I had to sut the friggen thing off and lost everything that I had done. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so pissed it took almost an hour after that to fall asleep. Needless to say, I'm glad teh kids had another snow day today, so I got to sleep an extra hour.

Ultima_5

If you punched a 9 year old because of dying in a video game, you should seek counseling for anger... I'm serious.

I threw a controller once. Normally I get passive aggressive at the game, an start killing myself on purpose for a few mins, then I stop playing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Please, never procreate and raise children, OP.

Worst I've ever had is a small tantrum (punching the couch) while trying to beat Wizpig in Diddy Kong Racing when I was 10.

kodt

Banned
I broke a PS3 controller. I think it was during the final boss fight in MGS4.

I've gotten angry in CS before. Usually when I was just doing poorly.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
OP must have been playing Stuntman. That game made me totally rage.

Worst I ever had was playing SoulCalibur for Dreamcast. I could not win a fucking match so I threw my controller basically straight up in the air. It landed on the Dreamcast, made the lid pop open, and the disc shoot out. I felt bad.
Then I learned a new character and won 60 matches in a row the next weekend.

Top Bottom